Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    haha. I didn't say they were all complimentary heckles.

Last week, some fecker goin by in a car shouted out "Ya may run faster than that ya fat bastard" - and I'd say he was about 6 stone heavier than me.....the cheek!

This evening, some aul one probably in her 60's told me very definately, "You might as well stay at home sitting down son"

wouldn't wanna be sensitive like :D

OMG that's desperate! Fair play to ya for getting out despite the nosy commentators that can't seem to mind their own business:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

haha. I didn't say they were all complimentary heckles.

Last week, some fecker goin by in a car shouted out "Ya may run faster than that ya fat bastard" - and I'd say he was about 6 stone heavier than me.....the cheek!

This evening, some aul one probably in her 60's told me very definately, "You might as well stay at home sitting down son"

wouldn't wanna be sensitive like :D

Just remember that you do today what they won't so that in October you'll do something they never can. When you're out there with your Marathon Finisher's tshirt, those morons and their thoughts will mean nothing.

So G'wan Sexy Legs, go for a run. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just remember that you do today what they won't so that in October you'll do something they never can. When you're out there with your Marathon Finisher's tshirt, those morons and their thoughts will mean nothing.

So G'wan Sexy Legs, go for a run. ;)

I got a hard boiled egg thrown into my face on one run in Lucan by St Marys
    school. They ran into their school classroom and the teacher stopped me from entering the building. It was at night time so must of been some study class break.

Other time was a water balloon from ten year olds, but that was ok.

I got a hard boiled egg thrown into my face on one run in Lucan by St Marys
    school. They ran into their school classroom and the teacher stopped me from entering the building. It was at night time so must of been some study class break.

Other time was a water balloon from ten year olds, but that was ok.

Some little sh1t put out his hand for a high five after the UCD flyover in DCM 2012 and punched Chinguetti in the stomach as he came past, it's akin to keying someone's car. Begrudgery at it's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Had stuff thrown at me, the same old comments and some good ones as well. My sister said to me what are you dressed like( it was winter time) and the same sister later said does she look like me? my other half said what fit and healthy no you don't look like your brother. She was not impressed.

Had a good friend say he spotted me running and thanked himself he had a car? Don't think he will ever join me for a run

• Advertisement

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Had stuff thrown at me, the same old comments and some good ones as well. My sister said to me what are you dressed like( it was winter time) and the same sister later said does she look like me? my other half said what fit and healthy no you don't look like your brother. She was not impressed.

Had a good friend say he spotted me running and thanked himself he had a car? Don't think he will ever join me for a run

Very easy knock someone else's attempts, believe me when you cross that line, they'll be so insignificant you won't believe it. Also, use them for motivation when it gets tough in a race or on a run.

Very easy knock someone else's attempts, believe me when you cross that line, they'll be so insignificant you won't believe it. Also, use them for motivation when it gets tough in a race or on a run.

I spend about as much time worrying what people say about me while passing them running about a split second.:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Is everyone following Hal Higdon's training plans or someone would recommend a different one? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

lmguillou wrote: »
    Is everyone following Hal Higdon's training plans or someone would recommend a different one? Thanks

im following my own personalized plan but career move has a great plan that a lot of the group will be following. can't post link from phone but search in thread or it might be stickied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ososlo wrote: »
    im following my own personalized plan but career move has a great plan that a lot of the group will be following. can't post link from phone but search in thread or it might be stickied
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoaCGJk6gWtQdGI3TlI1SDVUNjlMSGRTX1VaMGtudUE#gid=1 :D

• Advertisement

lovely easy 12 mile lsr this morning but it did take a while to get into my stride. Everything kinda felt out of sync if you know what I mean. All came together around 3 miles in. Included the hills for the 5 mile race. Delighted with how my running is going at the moment. 172.94 miles done in May:D I never thought I'd be hitting that kind of mileage in my second year of running, and the best part is I've been INJURY FREE all year. :) The odd niggle, but nothing the foam roller can't sort out;) If you haven't got one folks, I'd suggest investing in one. Well worth every penny. My physio mightn't agree though. Wonder why he never suggested I purchase one:rolleyes:
    Hope you're all getting some enjoyable running done this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Had a busy day with family stuff and couldn't get out to do my LSR. So I did a very late 9.3 mile LSR tonight (Finished at 11:30). Great time to do it - weather conditions absolutely perfect. Very quite out. All the hecklers were either in the pub or at home where mammy doesn't let them out that late. :)

On the other hand, I think the lads in the Garda car that passed me no less than 4 times in different parts all over town and who were having a good look at me each time must have thought I was a bit mental :)

I wouldn't get into the habit of running that late though - it forces you to eat very late.....and that's awfully naughty! :|

Had a busy day with family stuff and couldn't get out to do my LSR. So I did a very late 9.3 mile LSR tonight (Finished at 11:30). Great time to do it - weather conditions absolutely perfect. Very quite out. All the hecklers were either in the pub or at home where mammy doesn't let them out that late. :)

On the other hand, I think the lads in the Garda car that passed me no less than 4 times in different parts all over town and who were having a good look at me each time must have thought I was a bit mental :)

I wouldn't get into the habit of running that late though - it forces you to eat very late.....and that's awfully naughty! :|

sounds to me like they were checking you out:P

ha ha . well done though on getting out so late. Bet you feel better for it.

I had a hen yesterday so got up at 6.30 to do 10miles on empty! Only ever done 3m with no food so this was a bit risky, brought a bottle if water with me, ended up drinking it all...was surprised how hot it was so early! Got it done anyways, found it tough to be honest but expected it to be, stuck to 12min miles.

Was in the pub at 10 with a bottle of bulmers :)

I had a hen yesterday so got up at 6.30 to do 10miles on empty! Only ever done 3m with no food so this was a bit risky, brought a bottle if water with me, ended up drinking it all...was surprised how hot it was so early! Got it done anyways, found it tough to be honest but expected it to be, stuck to 12min miles.

6:30 am:eek: Fair fecks te ya! I've never run before about 9am! Well impressed!
    I'm also doing all my longer runs on empty and some without gels, just water. Good to train your body to burn fat as fuel and it's so much easier to just get out of bed, get the gear on and go rather than waiting for the food to settle. Never had trouble with running on empty but I suppose I've never gone further than 13 miles. Wonder what it'll be like during/after an 18 mile run:eek:
    Hope you enjoyed the hen and the well deserved beer!

Just finished my first week of the marathon plan, 21 more to go

Was afraid if I didn't do it then, wouldn't get done at all.... Yeah I'm going to try to do more LSRs on empty to get used to it for the marathon... Thought of 18miles terrifies me, never mind 18miles on empty:o

Hen was great, was wrecked by the end of the night, not used to drinking all day at all anymore!

Clean living starts tomorrow:)

Was afraid if I didn't do it then, wouldn't get done at all.... Yeah I'm going to try to do more LSRs on empty to get used to it for the marathon... Thought of 18miles terrifies me, never mind 18miles on empty:o

Hen was great, was wrecked by the end of the night, not used to drinking all day at all anymore!

Clean living starts tomorrow:)

with the gradual build up, I'm sure we'll be fine. Take each week at a time and don't look too far forward.
    Probably good to take gels on some of the lsrs just to get used to taking them. Same goes for eating beforehand I guess as it can bring it's own problems so it's a great time for us to be practicing all this now well in advance.

I'm a lightweight with my drinking these days too. I'd put my former self to shame with my pathetic drinking ability :o

Be careful how far you take this, when you workout you suppress your immune system, fail to recover sufficiently and restock your glycogen before you stress the body again and you could end up very sick indeed. (I'm speaking from painful experience here :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Just out of curiosity Shortstuff, what time are you going for?
    With the training you're doing you might be under selling yourself.
    Just my opinion by the way. :)

• Advertisement

Be careful how far you take this, when you workout you suppress your immune system, fail to recover sufficiently and restock your glycogen before you stress the body again and you could end up very sick indeed. (I'm speaking from painful experience here :o)

I don't think I could go further than 10miles without anything to be honest but thanks for the warning, appreciate it!

Big Logger wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity Shortstuff, what time are you going for?
    With the training you're doing you might be under selling yourself.
    Just my opinion by the way. :)

Honestly I'd love to do 4:30, but would be happy with anything under 5 & concentrate on enjoying it. Did Bohermeen half in March 2:13.21 so hoping I can sustain this pace for twice the distance:p Aiming to get 1/2 mara time down to sub 2hours by September to back that up. Only time will tell! 21miles done & dusted this week, was planning 24 but missed today's recovery due to sitting in the pub, would have preferred the run!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    sounds to me like they were checking you out:P

ha ha . well done though on getting out so late. Bet you feel better for it.

Haha. I prefer to think they were saying to each other; "How the heck does this guy keep getting across town so fast....he's such a really excellent runner" followed by lots of dramatic nods of agreement! :D

Dilemma:

The Kerryhead half marathon is on in 2 weeks. My LSR's right now are up to 15k. I'm thinking of trying it as a bit of an experiment 8 days before the training plan starts and for something better to plug into McMillan to help me pace my LSR's better.

Question:

Am I being a thicko? (Even the blasted name "Kerryhead" sounds hilly and really difficult)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Dilemma:

The Kerryhead half marathon is on in 2 weeks. My LSR's right now are up to 15k. I'm thinking of trying it as a bit of an experiment 8 days before the training plan starts and for something better to plug into McMillan to help me pace my LSR's better.

Question:

Am I being a thicko? (Even the blasted name "Kerryhead" sounds hilly and really difficult)

Not at all! It'll be a great test of where you are. I did a tough-ish HM last summer after intermittent training for a 10 mile, having never ran further than 17km and while I was holding on for the last 4 km, it was a great experience and confidence building. The course looks draining for the first 9 miles, but it's downhill all the way after!

Hills are nothing to be afraid of, you just have to go a little slower. :)

(All just my opinion, feel free to disregard, and best of luck with your training!)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Did nothing since I hurt my leg the other night but it feels good now and I think the physio may have been a bit over dramatic! So, I'm goin to try the 10k today slowly and see how I get on. Quick question, what core exercises do ye do? I need to start strengthening up in other areas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Dilemma:

Question:

It will be a confidence builder etc. But it wont give a true time for lsrs going forward if it is mad hilly and he finishes slower than an average half.

MazzR wrote: »
    Did nothing since I hurt my leg the other night but it feels good now and I think the physio may have been a bit over dramatic! So, I'm goin to try the 10k today slowly and see how I get on. Quick question, what core exercises do ye do? I need to start strengthening up in other areas...

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/fast-abs?page=single

Hey MazzR
    I do these at the moment. I think it's good to change your exercises every few months to target other muscle groups but I'm finding these really good at the moment. I'd build up the time on the planks though as 10-20 secs seems very little.
    Core is a chore for me though, that's for sure! I really see it like "work" whereas I never think of a run as work.

Fab day today but I sweated buckets on my morning run. Will get out again later when it cools down. Don't forget the sunscreen kids:D

scriba wrote: »
    Not at all! It'll be a great test of where you are. I did a tough-ish HM last summer after intermittent training for a 10 mile, having never ran further than 17km and while I was holding on for the last 4 km, it was a great experience and confidence building. The course looks draining for the first 9 miles, but it's downhill all the way after!

Hills are nothing to be afraid of, you just have to go a little slower. :)

(All just my opinion, feel free to disregard, and best of luck with your training!)

So do you know the course in Ballyheigue well then? The course description on RunIreland.com makes those first 9 miles sound reasonably OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Went for run this evening to avoid the heat but was still sweating buckets :) . Hats of to those running in Cork and Dublin today :) Did 19k, my so call LSR, in 1h40min, pace 5.15min/km. Still way to fast. Really struggling to slow them right down :(

Portumna half in 2 weeks and will give it a right go even though legs don't seem fresh now, will ease up a bit next week.

After that I will have my head wrecked picking a training plan. I don't really want to go easy on myself pick a 'get around the course' plan, I want the best time I can possibly do, simples..

By the way, how many of you have actually entered?? I thinking I should do it soon and sort out accomodation (advice very welcome) before last minute panic sets in..

Advertisement