Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

MazzR wrote: »
    I know the route like the back of my hand since this is where I do all of my running. Two biggish hills but v manageable too. I'm looking forward to it. Certainly a beautiful evening for it. Enjoy your run too career_move. Do u know this area well?
    I'm finished my run thankfully. It's was very warm out!! No I don't know fethard at all really but I was talking to a guy who's with fethard ac in poulmucka and he nearly had me persuaded to come tonight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I know the route like the back of my hand since this is where I do all of my running. Two biggish hills but v manageable too. I'm looking forward to it. Certainly a beautiful evening for it. Enjoy your run too career_move. Do u know this area well?

I was going to do this but didn't know about the two biggish hills till now!!! What is the new route and where are the hills? I might have to stick to the 2 mile fun run

AK333 wrote: »
    I was going to do this but didn't know about the two biggish hills till now!!! What is the new route and where are the hills? I might have to stick to the 2 mile fun run

Hills are your friend ;) You just gotta learn to love them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

yes yes yes embrace the hills lads they'll bring you on loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

When I say hills, I mean slight inclines of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

How'd it go MazzR?

I did my usual 3m run last night, turned into a pretty crappy run, just couldnt get into a rhythm, legs felt heavy, was too hot, shorts were uncomfortable (I hate shorts!), had to stop and stretch twice! I gave blood Monday night so maybe it's related, usually fell great after a rest day, hope it wasn't just the sun cos that could fairly screw up the summer training!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

I dont want to talk about it. But, I will anyway. It was a disaster. My niggly leg that had been at me on and off lately nearly killed me and I'd to pull out at the 2 miles!! Got it checked and was told that its probably a stress fracture :mad: and to rest it and get it x-ray'd. I thought I read somewhere before though that an x-ray won't diagnose a stress fracture...Anyway,there goes the mini marathon on monday...(maybe);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

hope it wasn't just the sun cos that could fairly screw up the summer training!

Hey I went out for a 4 miler last night around 11ish. Have to agree about the heat and humidity it was still pretty tough at night. How can people train in a country that is actually warm. I forsee lots of early morning runs.

.Anyway,there goes the mini marathon on monday...(maybe);)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Pegmatite wrote: »
    Hey I went out for a 4 miler last night around 11ish. Have to agree about the heat and humidity it was still pretty tough at night. How can people train in a country that is actually warm. I forsee lots of early morning runs.

Heat training is good for you, your heart and lungs get a great workout but you can't run as fast so you save your muscles. I'm looking forward to running in 30+ degrees in a few months :D

• Advertisement

How'd it go MazzR?

I did my usual 3m run last night, turned into a pretty crappy run, just couldnt get into a rhythm, legs felt heavy, was too hot, shorts were uncomfortable (I hate shorts!), had to stop and stretch twice! I gave blood Monday night so maybe it's related, usually fell great after a rest day, hope it wasn't just the sun cos that could fairly screw up the summer training!
    I think it was more than likely due to the blood donation. See this thread for further details
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056633549
    I dont want to talk about it. But, I will anyway. It was a disaster. My niggly leg that had been at me on and off lately nearly killed me and I'd to pull out at the 2 miles!! Got it checked and was told that its probably a stress fracture :mad: and to rest it and get it x-ray'd. I thought I read somewhere before though that an x-ray won't diagnose a stress fracture...Anyway,there goes the mini marathon on monday...(maybe);)
    I would go and see a physio asap.

My right calf is pretty sore today, leftie is fine.. Any advice on stretches. Should it be something I should keep a eye on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

it's official! i'm in. just entered dcm and race series! can't wait!

Pegmatite wrote: »
    My right calf is pretty sore today, leftie is fine.. Any advice on stretches. Should it be something I should keep a eye on?
    Ya you may need to go to a physio and get a rub because in my experience if there are really bad knots there all the stretching/rolling in the world won't budge them. I find the stretches here good: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Ah MazzR, that's terrible news, hopefully a physio will be able to sort you out

Thanks for the link career_move, will take it handy on the run tonight & take some iron supplements just in case Im low

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I think it was more than likely due to the blood donation. See this thread for further details
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056633549

I would go and see a physio asap.

Good advice on both counts. I'm curious though CM - have you read ALL of Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Good advice on both counts. I'm curious though CM - have you read ALL of Boards?

CM is like the Borg. All of boards and indeed plenty of posts and write ups from other sites has been assimilated into one collective hive. Resistance is futile. :)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Haha :D God no......I rarely venture outside the A/R forum ;)

CM is like the Borg.

Does that mean she's as good at tennis as she is at running?

god i really dislike core-work:(

20 mins of planks, bridges etc, 20 mins of rolling and 10 mins of lightish free weights done. Thankfully it's over now but it's a necessary evil i guess :(

Such a beautiful evening, I wish I could go for a run but I'm taking one of those nasty rest days :mad:
    hope you all got some warm-weather training in today.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    god i really dislike core-work:(

20 mins of planks, bridges etc, 20 mins of rolling and 10 mins of lightish free weights done. Thankfully it's over now but it's a necessary evil i guess :(

Such a beautiful evening, I wish I could go for a run but I'm taking one of those nasty rest days :mad:
    hope you all got some warm-weather training in today.

I'm waiting an hour for it to cool down!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DonKing

Went out this evening at about 6:00 for an 8k run........it was hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

DonKing wrote: »
    Went out this evening at about 6:00 for an 8k run........it was hot!

Went out at the same time as ya for 11k. Hot, but a nice strong breeze.

Anyone else getting an awful lot more heckles in this weather or is it just me? :D

Laois_Man wrote: »

Anyone else getting an awful lot more heckles in this weather or is it just me? :D

Post up a pic of yourself in your running gear Loais-Man and we'll be more informed to comment on your hotness :D

Someone shouted "gwan sexy legs" :eek: when I was running past a car park last night but I don't know who they were talking to... :o

Post up a pic of yourself in your running gear Loais-Man and we'll be more informed to comment on your hotness :D

haha. I didn't say they were all complimentary heckles.

Last week, some fecker goin by in a car shouted out "Ya may run faster than that ya fat bastard" - and I'd say he was about 6 stone heavier than me.....the cheek!

This evening, some aul one probably in her 60's told me very definately, "You might as well stay at home sitting down son"

wouldn't wanna be sensitive like :D

haha. I didn't say they were all complimentary heckles.

Last week, some fecker goin by in a car shouted out "Ya may run faster than that ya fat bastard" - and I'd say he was about 6 stone heavier than me.....the cheek!

This evening, some aul one probably in her 60's told me very definately, "You might as well stay at home sitting down son"

wouldn't wanna be sensitive like :D

NO WAY! they're horrible comments. I thought you got some "sexy legs" comments like Dilbert :p
    I think I'd cry if someone said stuff like that to me:o Not sure which comment is more hurtful! As for the fat guy saying that to you :rolleyes:

NO WAY! they're horrible comments. I thought you got some "sexy legs" comments like Dilbert :p
    I think I'd cry if someone said stuff like that to me:o Not sure which comment is more hurtful! As for the fat guy saying that to you :rolleyes:

Hey, I've had me fair share of good stuff.

Like a little while ago, I got this huge wolf whistle from someone - I didn't see who. I was delighted. Thrilled with meself altogether. So thrilled, I told the wife immediately when I got home.

I go in all smiles "I got a massive sexy whistle from some young wan tonight dear"

.....she goes, "I know dear, it was me"

Like a little while ago, I got this huge wolf whistle from someone - I didn't see who. I was delighted. Thrilled with meself altogether. So thrilled, I told the wife immediately when I got home.

I go in all smiles "I got a massive sexy whistle from some young wan tonight dear"

ha ha:D
    Very sweet though:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

haha and then she took out her false teeth

Advertisement