Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Pre-race
    Had a dry cough in the days leading up to the race and it still hadn't gone away by race morning. That put doubts in my mind about my body being able to go 100% but I would soon find out. Only had 2 hours sleep, 30min around 2am and 4.30-6.00am. Didn't feel all that tired though and I wasn't particularly worried about it. Positioned myself halfway between the 3.30 & 3.40 pacers, discarded my top and headed for the start line. Would I finish? Will I blow up and hobble home? Will I beat my primary target of 3.30?

Miles 1-4
    Stayed about 100m back from the 3.30 pacers in the first couple of miles. The laces on my left shoe ripped going up O'Connell St and I began to worry about losing position on the pacers having to stop and retie. Looking back now that was a silly concern and didn't make any measurable difference to my performance. By the end of mile 4 I was on the tale of the pacer who had dropped back from the other two.

Miles 5-13
    Covered this section of the race with the 3.30 group. Felt comfortable and my breathing was very relaxed. Feeling so comfortable, I was able to forget about racing at times and talk in some of the great scenery in the Phoenix Park. It got very narrow during parts of the park and there was a lot of chopping and justling for position in the group. The second water station was a disaster with only a table on the left. So many people started cutting across from right to left and it was lucky someone didn't end up on the ground. I had just taken my first gel but the with the mess at the station I decided I'd be better off to keep going than joining the scrum. A few hundred meters past the station one of the pacers offed a bottle of water which I was happy to accept. Kept wondering if he was one of the boards lads and had planned on finding out at McGrathans after but more on that in a bit.

Miles 13-20
    This was the toughest part of the race for me. Mentally very challenging. I suspect I may have spent too much time on my feet on Sunday as just after half way, I could feel my calves already starting to tire. Passed through half way with team 3.30 in 1.44.19. I found miles 13-15 especially tough mentally. No way I'll be able to hold this pace for another 10 miles I was telling myself. At the same time I was willing myself to get to mile 20, it's just 6 miles from there, I've done run 6 miles so many times now, it'll be no problem from there right? Although my legs were tiring, my breathing was still comfortable and this gave me confidence to counter argue with myself.

Whatever it was about it the turn at bushy park, maybe it was just having the sun to my back, I felt as if I got my second wind. Felt strong for the first time in quite a while and found myself going past the pacers. Still 10 miles left though so I made sure I didn't go more than 10 meters ahead.

Going through the first town after bushy park, the dj calling out names of passers by managed to pick me out. Put your hands in the air Stephen from the kingdom. Waaaaheeey :D

Final two gels at mile 15 & 18 are tough to swallow but I know they have to go down. The thoughts of gels post race are stomach turning.

Miles 20-24
    Still just a few meters ahead of the paces going past the 20 mile marker. That seemed to be a good spot to avoid congestion as someone was finally tripped up at this point. Felt sorry for the guy and can't imagine how disgusted he must be.

Looking into the distance I see the much talked about Roebuck hill in the distance. Still unsure about my endurance (naturally over my maiden trip), I quite audibly uttered an uh-oh. The pacers were great here, shouting encouragement and willing everyone to the peak.

Just 10 seconds more
    All flat and downhill after this
    Over the top and it wasn't near as sapping as I suspected it might have been. Starting to feel that 3.30 may be a possibility for the first time. Over the flyover and the crowds are fantastic. Kids along the side of the road with their hands out for high 5's. Thinking myself some kind of athlete I willingly oblige. Going past the RDS, I feel as if I'm working harder to keep with the pacers. The ups and downs of marathon running continue. Turning right after the RDS, one of the pacers gesturing for the crowd and screams at them for encouragement for the 3.30s. Going through the mile 24 marker, I'm right on this pacers shoulder.

Miles 25 - 26.2
    The crowds are absolutely amazing at this stage. Both sides of the roads are lined and urging every single participant on. At some stage during the 25th mile, I begin to push on from the the 3.30s. I put in a burst of speed for about a min, then tuck in for 30sec and burst again. I'm surging past a number of people and the crowd notices me finishing strong. A few call out my name as I continue to surge in bursts. Sub 3.30 is in the bag but how much under it can I go. Through 25 miles, just 1 to go. This is one of the best moments my life. I take in the atmosphere dish out a few more high 5's. A big smile on my face I come around the front of Trinity.

Here up front I spot my Dad and sister who've traveled up from Kerry earlier in the morning. I had no idea where they'd be along the course and though my chance spotting them would be low. I let out big heeeeeey as I pass in what actually is one of the better moments of my life. A moment I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Through mile 26 and with sub 3.30 firmly in the bag, I don't feel the need to burst my balls towards the finish line for the sake of a few seconds. Instead I take in the atmosphere cross the line with a massive smile.

Chip time - 3.28.02
    :D:D:D

That's also what my watch read, was hoping the official time would knock off the 2secs but it make no real difference. Not bad for someone who started running 20 weeks ago. There might be a semi decent runner in me if I stick with it (which I fully expect on doing). How soon till sub 3?

Post race
    Collect my medal and tee shirt and turn the first corner around merrion square. Find a spot on the footpath and sit down for a while. When I try to get up again my stomach completely turns. I take a sip of water and struggle to keep it down. I suddenly get extremely cold and feel the color draining from my face. I try to get to the baggage reclaim so I can add lairs. After I take the second turn around Merrion Square to the baggage reclaim I start dry reaching and have to set on the step of a van parked nearby. It's 5 minutes before I'm able to move but I hobble on and pick up my bag. I put on my jumper, a hate and gloves but it's an hour before I'm feeling ok again. I hope this is just down to the shock my body is experiencing as opposed to any underlying condition.

While going through this, I strangely wasn't in the mood for alcohol so I decided not to go to McGrathans. Pity as I really wanted to meet and share the experience with fellow novices and also thank any wonderful 3.30 pacers that may have been frequenting the place.

I couldn't put my body through that again right?

Then why is the only question I seem to be asking myself, "How close to sub 3 can I get next time out".

Well done, skeletonboy. Myself, blockic and raylanigan were your pacers, and it is great to hear feedback like this. I was the one with the yellow buff round my neck (anti-backpack chafing measure!). Pleasure to help guide yourself and all the others in our crew to your 3:30 goal. I have no voice left in me today after all that roaring yesterday!

Best of luck with your training and future endeavours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Killerz wrote: »
    Well done, skeletonboy. Myself, blockic and raylanigan were your pacers, and it is great to hear feedback like this. I was the one with the yellow buff round my neck (anti-backpack chafing measure!). Pleasure to help guide yourself and all the others in our crew to your 3:30 goal. I have no voice left in me today after all that roaring yesterday!

Best of luck with your training and future endeavours!

I did notice one of ye wearing what I thought was a scarf :o You were the guy who gave me the water after the second station then. :D I was wearing an orange asics top and orange asics runners but you probably saw so many faces yesterday I'd be surprised if ya remember me.

I am not surprised about the voice, ye created a great amount of energy and I'm sure there are many others grateful for ye. Hope ye didn't lose too many in the last 2 miles and brought a big crowd home.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

ooter wrote: »
    sorry to put a downer on this thread but i'm just back from the vets after having to get my poor dog put to sleep,the ups and downs of life eh?
    from the highs of yesterday to this low,i'll certainly never forget this bank holiday weekend.:(

Oh no ooter that's terrible news:(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

Great to read all the reports from everyone, especially nice to read the reports of everyone who enjoyed the day so much despite not making their target time.

My race was one of recalculated goals!

Started with the 3:40 pacer and from the first turn heading towards stephens green knew my hamstring was not in good shape (haven't had any issues before and stretched it out before the start) kept up with the pacers up to mile 15 but couldnt run my normal running stride for fear of a total hamstring pull, when i got to mile 15 i decided to stop and try stretch it out, this didnt seem to do any good and i was about 30 seconds behind the pacers now.

From this point on i was really happy to be still running (in 2011 i blew up in clonskeagh and walked/ran the rest of the race in a bad way) got through heartbreak hill still not feeling great in my hamstring but could tell the 3:40's were starting to pull away from me. At this point i decided that chasing the 3:40 pacers would more than likely risk a bad muscle pull and/or cause me to tire big time so i went to my Plan B goal which was a sub 3:50.

Once i decided to resort to plan B the rest of the race became instantly more enjoyable. Had to stop again in ballsbridge and at lansdowne road to stretch out the hamstring but was enjoying the crowd immensely.

The last two miles were probably the most enjoyable 2 miles i think i have ever run, the crowds were brilliant and i saw my wife on nassau st which melted my heart as i missed her in 2011.

In the end i finished in 3:44, only four minutes off my goal time but i would have bit your hand off for that time before the start, did 4:14 in 2011 so was a full 30 mins down on that time.

I struggle alot with knee problems and had to do alot of maintenance on them to keep them in ok condition. But i promised myself if i got through this marathon and made my all time marathon goal of a sub 4 hour marathon i would give up running marathons, so as one extremely happy and satisfied marathon runner I am now officially retired!!!!

Well done again everyone looking forward to reading more of the reports as they come in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Ososlo wrote: »
    from the events thread:

The race video just went online http://mysports.tv/

Anyone else only getting directed to a pay link when they put in their details?
    I seem to remember reviewing it in the past when friends had ran and it was a free to view service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

donnacha wrote: »
    I seem to remember reviewing it in the past when friends had ran and it was a free to view service.

no that's weird. I can see them all. Maybe yours just haven't been uploaded yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

By the end of mile 4 I was on the tale of the pacer who had dropped back from the other two.

The pacers were great here, shouting encouragement and willing everyone to the peak.

Just 10 seconds more
    All flat and downhill after this
    Turning right after the RDS, one of the pacers gesturing for the crowd and screams at them for encouragement for the 3.30s. Going through the mile 24 marker, I'm right on this pacers shoulder.

Well done skeleton_boy, that is some first marathon you should be well proud and sounds like you loved it...that last 1.5 miles in Dublin is really special and I have not experienced it anywhere since.

Enjoyed your report and it's like mix and match! :D The above sounds like me so looks like you keep me company for some of the race! I went a bit mad gesturing the crowd for the last few miles! :) Congrats again and looking forward to your progress over the next 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

donnacha wrote: »

Yea I got redirected there too. It found my name but asked me to pay 15 joes. I remember watching my friends videos last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

blockic wrote: »
    Well done skeleton_boy, that is some first marathon you should be well proud and sounds like you loved it...that last 1.5 miles in Dublin is really special and I have not experienced it anywhere since.

Enjoyed your report and it's like mix and match! :D The above sounds like me so looks like you keep me company for some of the race! I went a bit mad gesturing the crowd for the last few miles! :) Congrats again and looking forward to your progress over the next 12 months!

It was a real mental battle, lots of ups and downs but that's what makes marathon running so great I'm sure, proving to yourself you can overcome your doubts.

I suspect that may have been you just past the RDS then. The pacer there ran wide, almost right into the faces of the crowd and started getting them going. I was tempted to ask which of ye had recently done Chicago but didn't want to do the weird I know you from the internet thing during the middle of the race :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

observer2u wrote: »
    Yea I got redirected there too. It found my name but asked me to pay 15 joes. I remember watching my friends videos last year.

maybe when I paid for the race I ticked the box for finishers video or something. I remember paying for one extra thing on top of the fee for the race so that could be why you can't see yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

observer2u wrote: »

Your friends paid for it last year.

A good tip is to search for a runner that has same splits as you. If they paid, you'll be on their videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I pulled out 6 weeks ago with Achilles tendon problems which I still have, I had the hotel booked and went to support everyone or anyone I could, I really enjoyed the day but was disappointed not to be part of it.
    I was on Pearse street when the winners passed and stayed there for 4 hours, time went so quick constantly cheering clapping and calling out strangers names, you could see they were glad of the support, I picked a guy up in yellow shirt who was on his knees, I just told him to dig in hard and crawl across that line he got up and jogged on.
    Its a great achievement for you all, well done, it was great that the weather was so good, my wife her sister and our daughter walked out to the 20 mile to give some friends encouragement waving there team carrie flags, I think all in all they walked 17 miles.

It was a real mental battle, lots of ups and downs but that's what makes marathon running so great I'm sure, proving to yourself you can overcome your doubts.

I suspect that may have been you just past the RDS then. The pacer there ran wide, almost right into the faces of the crowd and started getting them going. I was tempted to ask which of ye had recently done Chicago but didn't want to do the weird I know you from the internet thing during the middle of the race :p

It sure is, the marathon is the true test IMO, you can take short cuts in other distances but if you don't prepare right, you will be found out at this distance!

Yep that was me, coming to think of it now, I must have looked like a loony to the crowds! :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

fair balls for actually finishing the pacing gig so close from Chicago...hope I didn't put you off at the start my saying it sounded like a tall order!, ha

statss wrote: »
    fair balls for actually finishing the pacing gig so close from Chicago...hope I didn't put you off at the start my saying it sounded like a tall order!, ha

Haha, nah your grand...trust me, my legs told me all about it from 14 miles on yesterday and today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ganone

Sorry for rambling report...

Having been running on and off for about 5 years (mainly 10ks and 2 half-marathons) I have never been consistently good at training - always in fits and starts. So at the start line for my first marathon it was pleasing to have 3/4 months of solid training (bar missing a fortnight in september on account of some virus that was doing the rounds) behind me for my first marathon.

A friend who had done the marathon before was keen to make sure I respected the distance. He made me promise two things; pick a conservative pace and run at that pace until Mile 20 and whatever my plan is stick to it no matter what. So I said I would stick with the 3.10 pacers until Mile 20 and then push on if I felt good (which, i figured I would - if I'm honest I had silly notions that I was capable of  sub 3 if everything went right on the day but I (thought i had) heeded the advice to just enjoy my first marathon and chase times another day). So I had visions of staying with the 3.10 pacers and then gliding home from Mile 20 to a 3.04/3.05 time with a smile on my face. Grade A chump I truly am!

So I went off with the 3.10s thinking it would require restraint to stay with them. First 5 miles or so were fine and I felt good. Miles 5-10 were ok but I got a slight sense that I was working harder than I ought to have been. It was when I crossed the canal at Dolphins Barn that I started to realise that this was going to be harder than I had anticipated. The drag up Crumlin/Drimnagh direction was hard work, but I knew this was going to be the case having run it a few times in training so I wasn't too concerned. Going through half-way I was still with the 3.10 pacers but working pretty hard. Miles 13-17 were ok but I was working very hard while still relatively comfortable. My girlfriend and sister had been jumping from spot to spot on their bikes so each time I saw them I got a boost. Going through Miles 18 and 19 I was still with the 3.10s and got a big shout from my folks. I got a boost from that but it must have lasted all of 30 seconds because Clonskeagh is where I really started to struggle (I think i could sense it coming for a while). I was now hanging on to the back of the 3.10 group. 

Whoever said the real half-way point of the marathon is Mile 20 was spot on because it was at this point that I was forced into leaving the 3.10s go on as I was really hurting. Once that decision was made for me (I should have made it earlier) I started going backwards and it began looking pretty ugly pretty quickly. As I was approaching Roebuck hill I was feeling pretty pessimistic and my lungs were feeling really tight. I was trying to get my head around 5 and a half more miles of this torture when I stopped and walked as i got some Lucozade Sport on board. (I never thought I'd walk in a marathon or any other race). It felt at this point as if I had, at best, a salvage operation ahead of me. I got going again and got over the Roebuck hill and stumbled down fosters avenue. Once I turned on to the dual carriage-way I told myself I could take another walking break at the next water stop, wherever that was. Every step was a struggle at this stage and I was cursing the fact that I couldn't see a water stop, so when I got to the next water stop outside the Merrion centre I took another walking break and it was at this point that I saw a lad I know as I was walking (all I could do was smile, stick my fingers up at him and say "f##k off, this is the first time I've walked" - dishonest, defensive and defeatist all in one...). The stretch up to Ballsbridge was a struggle but there were some small signs of life in my legs - it was still utterly gruelling. Once I got past Beggars Bush I was still in an awful place but my pace had picked up. I wanted more than anything else in the world to stop and I was cursing the coldron of amazing support because they made me feel like I had no choice but to keep going. I passed 25 miles and I had a quick glance to my left and you could see the home straight (I thought this was particularly cruel). The noise and support for the remainder was incredible and carried me through that last mile. 

Time had long since stopped being of any relevance but it was a lovely bonus to see the clock say 3.11.45 as I crossed the finish line.

I spent the rest of yesterday on a lovely buzz - it really is a great thing to do (both the training and the marathon itself).

Might be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 al984

Thanks for all the advice here I had been sick all week leading up to the race managed to stick with the 4:30 pacers until 16 miles then I slowed down a tad by 17.5 they had disappeared from sight my legs were getting sore but I kept going at a slower pace around clonskeagh I was passed by the 4:40 pacers this made me pick up the pace abit I managed to keep a steady pace from here and got over the line in 4:49. I didn't have the best lead up to the race but it has thought me to make sure I do a few 20 mile runs in training before next years race I only got to 17.5 this year. Thanks to the great support along the way and looking forward to my 2nd marathon next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

One more quick thanks to add for all the advice , experience and encouragement to be found here - found the thread on boards about 3 weeks ago and it reduced my first-time marathon nerves by 100%. Finished in small pieces in 4:34 and am thrilled with that. Following this thread for a few weeks really helped quell the "what the **** am I doing's" in the last month of training so when I rock up to train to shave 15 mins+ off my time in DCM 2014 I promise to put loads back here. Bless you all and Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi, well done to all yesterday. My goal was 4.10 and I finished in 3.58.23.
    Im delighted with that, had a more detailed piece typed but lost it and too tired to typed it again! Ran the 2 nd half a lot faster than 1 st. The fact I knew my kids were tracking me kept me from walking between miles 23 and 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Well that was memorable. I went out with the intention of sticking with the 3:40 pacers and managed to do so until 19 miles and then I saw them disappear over the horizon. Around .5mile before we left the park I had to stop for a toilet break - I then upped my pace and weaved my way back into the 3:40 group and I think this contributed to not sticking with them...

Anyway, delighted to finish in 3:47 after a very tough last 6 miles with nothing left in the tank. Over two mins slower than my only other crack at DCM, but I'll be back again.

Thanks to Career_Move for all of the advice, tips, and awesomeness in this thread and to everyone else that chipped in with their tales of training and race days that led to yesterday.

Huge thanks also to the people of Dublin for lining the streets, I was close to tears at many times throughout the race after seeing and hearing such great support along the way. My wife was at mile 25 and I swear I was counting down the miles until I saw her there, I felt like ****e at the time and only for the fact she was standing on the other side of the street I would have stopped and grossed her out whilst mumbling curses of gels and jelly babies.

Well done, everyone - what a feeling!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

nerraw1111 wrote: »

A good tip is to search for a runner that has same splits as you. If they paid, you'll be on their videos.

Deadly that works. For anyone searching for peeps with similar splits etc the tdl site is much faster than the official DCM one: http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=1504

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭ooter

nerraw1111 wrote: »

thanks for that,got to see myself cross the finish line,to say the look on my face was one of relief is an understatement.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

ooter wrote: »
    thanks for that,got to see myself cross the finish line,to say the look on my face was one of relief is an understatement.:eek:

I wish mine was just relief, i look like a bit of a goofy eejit TBH!!!:)

Great shout though to look for people around your time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

just looking over my videos some of them are not the best. some are crowed which is expected cant help that. one has someone hand over the camera so you see nothing in other i simple cant see my i think the timing is slightly off on some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Apologies to interrupt the celebrations just a small bit of housework to be done

Mod: Could we please refrain from nominating a successor to CM for next years novice thread. This decision will be made early next year

Well done again to everyone who ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Hilarious about the 2 lads from Dublin Fire Brigade who ran the marathon course starting at 5:30am yesterday morning, finished it, and then ran it again with everyone else. Mad feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Great to read the reports guys. Enjoying a few well earned post marathon holidays now around Ireland with the girlfriend. Hello from galway! The urge to sync my garmin though is hard to suppress..

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

first time checking boards since last Friday, had a lot of catch-up to do!! So i survived my first marathon, i did it in 4:18, i was hoping for a time less than 4:20, so i am very happy with that time. Secretly to myself i was thinking beforehand i would be able push on for last 7/8miles and get closer to 4:15 but that def did not happen. I was with the 4:20 pacers from start to finish and i thought they were fantastic, without them i would not have gotten that time. Overall i was very comfortable up until around mile 18, then i noticed i was getting a pain in both my knees, left knee on outside (the bloody ITB issue back again) and on right one on the back (that was a new niggle), this pain got worse over the next few miles, and from mile mile 22 to finish it was like torture. I was having knee trouble during my training so in some respect i was half expecting it but thankfully i was able keep running (well that i was telling myself in my head i was doing anyway!!). Strangely enough I was not felling exhausted afterwards and i know i would have been able push on if i didn't get the knee issues and i think the fact i had loads of energy left was down to the gel strategy i used. People have always said that the crowds were great at the marathon but i wasn't expecting it to be so good, it was a great feeling passing all the cheering people on the course. That first pint afterwards was great, i followed that one with a another few more for good measure :D. Overall i am delighted with how it went, great experience.

Thanks again to C_M and all on this thread. Legs are still quiet stiff today but its back to reality again today with work, all i need to do now is decide on my next marathon!!

only slight complaint was the huge queues for the toilets beforehand, a few urinals would go a long way to reduce the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Can't believe it's over ...

I think I'm suffering from Post Marathon Depression ...

Anyway time for a race report !

- Background

40+ male
    Started running 18 months ago , had never run a mile in my life
    Unable to even spell the word Marathon until 2013

- Training Plan

23 weeks of training starting May 2013, 5 days a week , which included 16 to 22 miles LSR , weekly tempo run, medium speed and strides runs.

- Races

10K PB : Docklands - June 2013 in 49'02
    Duffy 10 Miles - August 2013 in 1h24'28
    Dublin HM - September 2013 in 1h51'24
    EcoRun 20Miles - September in 3h05'17

- Target

> Plan A : Finish DCM in 4h00
    > Plan B : Finish DCM in 4h10
    > Plan C : Finish DCM and beat my wife's DCM2012 time - 4h26'04

- Motivation

After loosing over 30kg , I wanted to prove myself that I was fit enough to take on the challenge.
    Also nothing wrong with a bit of family competition [ Husband VS Wife :-) ]
    Run DCM to raise funds for a sick friend with leukemia

- Pre Race preps

Good hydration and nutrition during taper weeks so would change anything there.
    Very relaxed , calm and composed before the event [ this will be my downfall later on ... ]
    Up at 6am on race day, had usual breakfast [ porridge / bagel / honey / black coffee ]

- Start line and start

Had decided to go out with the 4h pacers as my training went well.
    So placed my self 20 meters behind them and hit the road !
    Took the first 3k easy , 10 secs below pace , but still had the pacers in sight
    All good ! In the Zone :-)

- 4k onwards ...

A running buddy caught up on North Circular Road so we shared the next 23k

Hit 10k split in 57'21
    Hit Half split in 2h01'32
    Pace was a little behind but was confortable and still in the Zone :-)

Was taking my gels and lucozade as planned , all good ! Really enjoying it !

- 28k ... Hello Mr Brain !

Once I reached 28k , I got a light twinge in my harmstring so decided to pull over to stretch and hydrate
    But then a huge rush of emotions took over .. I suddenly realized I was running DCM !!!
    I couldn't stop thinking about my friends, family, my sick friend, the event it self ... Waouh ! didn't see that coming !

Hit the road again and ended up with a stitch so broke my rythm
    Was I hitting the Wall ? Dunno , but I think I was rubbing my elbows on it ...

Got to Milltown and stopped to ask a Gardai where I was as I had lost track of my position !
    My running buddy had pushed on ahead so the crowd got me going again ...

- Heartbreak Hill

Went ok ! strange ...

- Fosters Ave

A colleague was waiting for me with the Camera so hey ! time to look good and smile !
    Went past him as he shouted 'Run Fat Boy ! Run !!! '
    Made me laugh all the way to UCD where I pulled over to stretch again and take a deep breath

- Merrion and onwards ...

OK, I knew that Plan A wasn't achievable but didn't get disheartened and switched to Plan B
    And bang on time ! 4h10 Pacers picked me up !

Pushed hard until the end
    Saw my wife and kids on Pearse ! Felt proud of beeing there !
    High fived my physio a few meters down the road and pushed even harder

The Pacer told me to keep it up as I would be below 4h10

- Finish Line

Crossed the line , fist pumping the air , bursting with pride in 4h09'46 !
    I had made it !
    Emotions took over again and I cried my eyes out like a kid all my way through Medal and TShirt collection !

>> Lessons learnt that day ...

Don't try to contain your emotions before a race , they'll only come to bite your back down the road :-)
    I will do another one as I know I could have done better : I will try not to over think my next one !

Huge congrats to everybody who took on the challenge !
    And a massive thanks to CM and everybody on this thread : learnt a lot !

Keep up the running people ! See you on the roads !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats all, some great reports and great results. Some disappointment too but that's all part of the experience. Had a good day myself (report here for those who enjoy that kind of thing.)
    Good to meet a couple of you (Woden and MiketheMechanic) afterwards. Hope all the novices keep up the good work and you'll be in good hands in the coming year with blockic's mentorship in the Class of 2013 thread.

All the best!

Advertisement