Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Race Report – DCM 2013

Background:
    The story of how I arrived at the start line of the 2013 DCM began for me on the 23rd of April 2012. At the time I weighed 17st 4lbs and had not taken part in any sporting activity in 20 years. I had always been overweight since my teens and had always eaten & drank to excess. I hadn’t been sleeping great and that morning I decided I would get up and go for a walk. It wasn’t pre-planned but I continued walking every day for the rest of that week with a resultant loss of 6lbs. I continued to lose weight through watching what I ate and exercise and by the years end I had lost 5 stone. During that time the exercise progressed from walking to jogging to running on the treadmill 6 days a week between 3 & 6 miles a day. By the time the new year came around I was sick to death of that fcukin treadmill and decided that at the weekends I’d try a bit of road running. From the off I loved it and I entered my first 10k in Limerick in April this year & came home in a time of 43:21. After this I decided to do the GLR half and came home in 1:36:57. The minute I crossed the line I knew I wanted to do a full and so DCM was the choice.

The plan:
    Up until this point I was doing all my sessions as fast as I could and luckily by chance I stumbled across the Mentored Novices thread on boards. I began to follow with interest while not posting too often. Not only did I follow this thread but I began to follow the training logs of others who had graduated in recent years. I read the logs of career_move, gavlor, Dilbert75, Running King & blockic and got insights in to the ups & downs of their training and found them invaluable. I decided to follow the broad outline of the ‘Dublin plan’ posted by c_m with extra miles. I included the extra miles as I was coming from a high enough base and everywhere I read it talked about having enough miles in the legs. Also I decided that I was going to run 6 days a week including a session on Fridays. This resulted in no cross training for me and is something I’ll have to look at again next time.

Training:
    Training seemed to go ok with a few bumps along the way but when I’ve a few more marathon cycles done I’ll have something to compare it with. I loved the structure to training as up until then there was no method to what I was doing. I think I missed only 1 session throughout. One low point was ending up in A&E on a Friday night at the end of July with a savage pain in my chest. I was worried they might tell me to forget about the running. It turned out to be a gallstone which I’m getting sorted in December. Also had a bit of a nightmare of a half in the park last month but looking back now I learned a lot from mistakes I made that day.

Taper:
    I was a bit nervous about taper as I didn’t know what to expect. How would I deal with rest days? What would I be like to live with? For me taper was grand with not too many issues although the situation with the weather in the last week wrecked me head. Also I did obsess a bit about my resting HR with the result that every time I’d fart the phone would be out to measure the rate. On the Thursday before the race I decided to cop on & deleted the app off the phone. The one thing I was very conscious about for taper was my weight and it was an issue raised by c_m here. I knew from my weight loss days what I needed to do for the 3 weeks i.e. eat right, portion control etc. The result of my discipline in this time resulted in a 5 and a half pound weight loss. It would mean I would take to the start line exactly 6 stone lighter than when my story began, at 11 stone 4. I had been lighter than this during training but never as strong and this gave me a nice boost mentally as well.

Race day:
    So finally all the anticipation was over and d day was here. I didn’t sleep too well the night before probably from about 10pm til 2.30 but it didn’t bother me too much as it was flagged here that the sleep the previous night was more important and I had gotten 7 hours solid the previous night. Said goodbye to Mrs B & left the hotel about 7.30 to make my way to the start. The plan was Mrs B & my brother were to be at 3 points around the course (miles 4, 10.5 & 24.5) which I was delighted about. Dropped the bag, made my way to my wave and sat in half way between the 3.30 & 3.40 pacers. I really had given serious thought to going with the 3.40 pacers about 3 weeks prior to the off but a good final 10k in the Human Race on the 6th of October and encouragement from c_m here to go with the 3.30’s made my mind up and 8.00 miles was to be my race pace.

Miles 1-6
    8.08, 8.10, 8.08, 7.47, 8.11, 7.47
    At last we were on our way and at last I could just finally run! From the off I was having a problem with my belt. I was carrying 6 gels and the weight of these was causing the belt to slip. Of course if I had done a proper dry run like was suggested here this might not have been a problem. In the end I turned the belt to the back and held the strap in my hand to keep it tight. It was a nuisance but I decided I’d ditch the belt if I had to & carry the gels in my hand. Once I kinda sorted the belt issue it suddenly dawned on me that I was running a marathon. At around the top of O’Connell St I began to get a bit emotional and had to tell myself to cop the fcuk on as I was close to tears. Around mile 3 I met up with Martypk and had a bit of a chat. It was a great idea to have his user name on the back of his shirt. I decided at this point I was going to get rid of the belt so I took all the gels out. I put 1 into each pocket and kept 2 in each hand. It was going to be a bit awkward with water bottles later but it was all I could do. So got to the park, Mrs B & my brother John were to be about 30 yards beyond the 4 mile marker on my left hand side. Spotted them from a good bit off and threw them my belt. Gave them a big smile and a wave and on I went. I knew from shortly after starting that I’d be needing a toilet break so the park was the chosen location. I was delighted with my splits for the first few miles – I was keeping things nice & handy with the 3.30 pacers always about 100 to 200 yards ahead. I have to say I loved running through the park.

Miles 6-13
    7.50, 7.46, 7.53, 7.52, 7.44, 7.59, 8.12
    These 7 miles seem to tick by very fast and couldn’t believe things were going so well. Support going through Chapelizod was mighty, as it was all around the course. Passed Mrs B & John again at about 10.5 miles. Gave them a fist pump to show all was well. I had caught up to the 3.30pacers about mile 11 or 12 and these boys really knew how to get the most from the crowd. The pacers on the day were Killerz, raylanigan & blockic. Anywhere there was music the boys would let a few roars, the crowd would roar back and we were feeding of the music and the roars of the crowd – it was a great buzz. Introduced myself to Killerz, shook his hand & had a small chat. The water stations were a bit mental at times with some being on 1 side of the road only causing a bit of confusion. Also got a bit windy at this point but nothing compared to what we thought we were going to get a few days previous. Went over the half way point in a split of 1:44:41 and all was well. Shouts of joy for all as we passed half way.

Miles 14 – 22
    7.46, 7.45, ??, ??, ??, 7.50, 7.50, 8.02, 7.46
    The miles were flying by and I couldn’t believe it. I noticed at some point around here that my garmin had switched off, I must’ve turned it off accidently. Looking at the times now, it shows 15.69 miles at 7.56 pace. Missing about 2 miles in total so no record on the watch for marathon distance! Around mile 17 I got talking to Blockic and congratulated him on his Chicago sub 3. He asked how I was going and I said fine. Had a small stumble around mile 18 when I was clipped from behind and felt a slight tweak in my left hamstring. It didn’t bother me too much so I drove on. We got to the hill at Roebuck Road that I heard so much about and the support from the crowd here was amazing. Before I knew it we were up and over to the shouts of the crowd and pacers – what was all the fuss about?

Miles 23-26
    8.02, 8.00, 8.04, 8.04
    By the time we got on to the Stillorgan Road I was beginning to feel darting pains in to my left calf first and shortly afterwards the other one and I was starting to get a bit worried. We passed the 35 k marker & I was trying to do some calculations. I don’t know much about kms but I know that 8 k is 5 miles. So I told myself just 4 more miles to go which was my recovery run distance in training and every reader of a certain mentors training log knows ‘recovery runs rock’!. I could visualise the 2 mile out & back trip from my house. Very similar to Fruit Pastilles final few miles there are parts which I don’t remember at all – Nutley Lane & Merrion Road are a blank for me. When we got to Shelbourne Road I knew my support wasn’t far away and I was in bad need of the boost. Left hamstring, both calves & now my right foot was beginning to go. I felt I was on the verge of everything just seizing up. The pacers were brilliant here – shouting at the crowd ‘Lets hear it for the 3.30’s’ and of course the crowd responded. From about 23.5 miles I was looking out for Mrs B & the bro so at least that was taking my mind off things. They were supposed to be just after the Haddington Road junction. I got there and no sign and thought maybe they’re further in the road. Got to the 25 mile marker and still hadn’t seen them. At that stage I didn’t care as I was only a mile from home and they had helped by taking my mind off what was going on with my body. A lot from here is a blank for me. On Pearse St, I think, I was talking to myself and I’m not too sure if it was out loud or in my head and I was beginning to recite my mantra of ‘Be Brave, Run Strong’. The next memory I have is of seeing the gantry and was so relieved. I knew my goal time was in the bag as I was still with the pacers and knew they’d have a 30 second buffer plus also I probably had another 30 second buffer from them. And so it came to pass that I crossed the line with a chip time of 3:28:57 with a negative spilt of 25 seconds.

Post Race:
    Once I crossed the line I was too shattered to think about what had happened. Got the medal & t shirt and then the vision started to go a bit fuzzy. This had happened to me before & knew it was a bit of low blood pressure. I held on to a barrier & consumed the edibles from the goodie bag & drank the lucozade. Once I’d done this I was beginning to feel a bit better. I made my way to the baggage area collected my bag and changed the clothes. I was so glad of all the layers I brought as I was freezing. Made my way to our prearranged meeting area to meet Mrs B & brother but no sign. I rang them and they were still in Ballsbridge thinking I had blown up!! While I was waiting for them I got very emotional about the whole thing & just stood there at the side of the street having a good auld cry for myself. When they arrived it was more of the same. I was beginning to seize up and decided I’d better keep moving. I walked to my hotel on Parnell St, did a few stretches in the room, had a quick bath & then walked back to McGrattans after a feed. Had a nice few pints and it was great to finally meet a few boardies in the flesh. It was great to meet fellow novice Martyboy 48 as well as 2 of my pacers Killerz & blockic again. Also met ger664, tHE vAGGABOND & belcarra fresh from his recent adventures.

The whole day was one massive physical & mental rollercoaster which I never will forget. I’d like to thank all the contributors to the novice thread for helping us every step of the way with a special word of mention for the mentor supreme that is career_move.

I have fought the good fight to the end;
    I have run the race to the finish;
    I have kept the faith;

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What a debut. Well run, Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

Can someone please add me to the table.
    Time 4:01, thrilled. Absolutely loved every step. Started with 4.10 pacers and finished just behind 4hr pacers. Felt strong throughout, spent the 2nd half picking targets & passing them out. Can't wait for the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Really enjoyed that report Bulmers. Plenty more to come in the future too....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

menoscemo wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that report Bulmers

+1

Loved it

I could learn a lot from you - as could many others! You should start a log (unless you have one and I have missed it?? )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm actually tearing up reading some of these race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Username|Est. Time|Comments|Act. Time|Comment
    Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|03:19:26|Race went to plan and I enjoyed every minute of it.|
    JoeyRamone|03:20:00|hoping for 3.20 ish! Thanks and goodluck to all|3:39:05|Enjoyed the first 18, ran well, 3:24 was on the cards. 5th Gel made me throw up at 19... went rapidly down hill thereafter, last 5 horrendous! Shattered crossing the line. Looking back overall brill day tho.
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|3:28:57| The day was a physical & emotional roller coaster. Pacers got me through the final 4 miles
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|03:25:55|20 miles onwards was TOUGH!|
    barryoneill50|03:39:59|First marathon, training went well|3:43:35|Had a ball the whole way round. Took good advice and soaked up the atmosphere. Probably wasted ten minutes high fiving kids and generally acting the clown with the crowd who were amazing, I'm hooked!!
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|3:44| Happy with the time considering i was suffering with hamstring issues from mile 8
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Martypk|03:40:00|I`m the eternal optimist|
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|3:54:40|Was on track up to 30km then slowly lost the pace and the last 10k were like hell while in 2009 I had a smile on my face all way long.I think I paid for a week of stress before the race, too scared to get sick like last year,as a result couldn't eat as much carb as I wanted as I didn't have appetite! ANyway,one thing and I will always remember is the crowds,they really carried me to the finish line and thanks to those amazing people I still got a PB Just thought to myself, If I don't run it in 2014 I will for sure be on the side of the road!
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|03:41:11|Absolutely delighted with this time and with the race in general. Was the most enjoyable race I have ever run!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|03:59:09|Broke the cardinal rule of taking a drink I hadn't trained with|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights smile.png, probably end up in a heap biggrin.png|03:51:42|The physicality? of the race got me, feet very sore towards the end and a touch of cramping. No worries though, just eased back a tad to get me home in reasonable condition.
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |03:56:31|Unbelievably difficult last 2 miles for me but overall it was nearly a life changing experience|
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|03:53:41|Really found last 6 miles tough. Happy to have achieved target time.
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|03:43:03|Went really well for me. still hurting but left nothing on the course so thats my biggest achievement! a unforgettable experience!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|04:02:56|Absolutely delighted with myself. Support was amazing. Loved & hated it at the same time.|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|04:04:25|on target for sub 4 until mile 23 had to drag myself from there. Delighted anyway
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens| 04:30:02| bad day at the office but still found the finishline so im happy |
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|04:11:17|With the way my achilles is swollen and creaking at the moment that time was my miracle
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! wink.png|3:57:25|Felt I paced it well, held back until 20m and pushed on from there, v.happy with result!|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    Skidrow|04:09:59|Not my first but hoping it will be my bestsmile.png|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|03:58:23|No major pains, delighted with time.|
    Ososlo|04:10:00|Can't wait! BRING IT ON!|
    Rainrunner|04:10:00|I'd love to beat 4:10 but happy to finish.|04:25| I went out to fast. Felt great up to 18 mile running at 9:05: started to slow down to a walk/run by mile 22.. Lesson learned the hard way.
    Zaram|04:10:00|never thought I would do one so hope to enjoy it|04:01| thrilled. Absolutely loved every step. Started with 4.10 pacers and finished just behind 4hr pacers. Felt strong throughout, spent the 2nd half picking targets & passing them out. Can't wait for the next one!
    Colostomy Bag|04:18:00|2nd DCM, achieved 4h28m last year.|04:19:03|
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|4:23:19|Harder than I thought. But hungry to do it again.
    Izoard|04:20:00|Pacer! Hope everyone hits their goals - gonna be great!
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|04:18:53|very happy with that time for first marathon, just a slight pity my ITB flared up again at mile 22. Drinks afterwards tasted great!
    fruit pastille|04:20:00|run, enjoy, don't fall over and look back with pride.|04:22:10| enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait to do it all again!
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)|04:09:46|Proud finisher ! Already looking at spring races :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefullysmile.png more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|04:59:41|Foot pain & muscle cramp meant my pace slowed right down from early on. Finished with a smilesmile.png I'll be back for 4:30
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|04:27:12| Was hard hard work, but delighted at the end!
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|04:47:23| was on target until 20miles then my legs just give up on me|
    Shay95480|04:30:00|firstimer so just hopin to finish in one piece.|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|04:35:59|Was on course to finish at 10 mins a mile until Roebuck hill and the quads decided to start seizing up! Glad the training was worth it plus the crowd helped me cross the line.
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    Dow99|04:39:59|"HOLY Sh*T, I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 5 DAYS TIME!!|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|04:58:54|Satisfied with that, just glad to finish given longest training run was 18.5 miles. Will improve it next time.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|

Added zaram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|03:19:26|Race went to plan and I enjoyed every minute of it.|
    JoeyRamone|03:20:00|hoping for 3.20 ish! Thanks and goodluck to all|3:39:05|Enjoyed the first 18, ran well, 3:24 was on the cards. 5th Gel made me throw up at 19... went rapidly down hill thereafter, last 5 horrendous! Shattered crossing the line. Looking back overall brill day tho.
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|3.28.02|Couldn't have gone better. Mental ding dong but beat my target while finishing very strong. Where too next?|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|3:28:57| The day was a physical & emotional roller coaster. Pacers got me through the final 4 miles
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|03:25:55|20 miles onwards was TOUGH!|
    barryoneill50|03:39:59|First marathon, training went well|3:43:35|Had a ball the whole way round. Took good advice and soaked up the atmosphere. Probably wasted ten minutes high fiving kids and generally acting the clown with the crowd who were amazing, I'm hooked!!
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|3:44| Happy with the time considering i was suffering with hamstring issues from mile 8
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|3:54:40|Was on track up to 30km then slowly lost the pace and the last 10k were like hell while in 2009 I had a smile on my face all way long.I think I paid for a week of stress before the race, too scared to get sick like last year,as a result couldn't eat as much carb as I wanted as I didn't have appetite! ANyway,one thing and I will always remember is the crowds,they really carried me to the finish line and thanks to those amazing people I still got a PB Just thought to myself, If I don't run it in 2014 I will for sure be on the side of the road!
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|03:41:11|Absolutely delighted with this time and with the race in general. Was the most enjoyable race I have ever run!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|03:59:09|Broke the cardinal rule of taking a drink I hadn't trained with|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights smile.png, probably end up in a heap biggrin.png|03:51:42|The physicality? of the race got me, feet very sore towards the end and a touch of cramping. No worries though, just eased back a tad to get me home in reasonable condition.
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |03:56:31|Unbelievably difficult last 2 miles for me but overall it was nearly a life changing experience|
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|03:53:41|Really found last 6 miles tough. Happy to have achieved target time.
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|03:43:03|Went really well for me. still hurting but left nothing on the course so thats my biggest achievement! a unforgettable experience!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|04:02:56|Absolutely delighted with myself. Support was amazing. Loved & hated it at the same time.|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|04:04:25|on target for sub 4 until mile 23 had to drag myself from there. Delighted anyway
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens| 04:30:02| bad day at the office but still found the finishline so im happy |
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|04:11:17|With the way my achilles is swollen and creaking at the moment that time was my miracle
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! wink.png|3:57:25|Felt I paced it well, held back until 20m and pushed on from there, v.happy with result!|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|03:58:23|No major pains, delighted with time.|
    Rainrunner|04:10:00|I'd love to beat 4:10 but happy to finish.|04:25| I went out to fast. Felt great up to 18 mile running at 9:05: started to slow down to a walk/run by mile 22.. Lesson learned the hard way.
    Zaram|04:10:00|never thought I would do one so hope to enjoy it|04:01| thrilled. Absolutely loved every step. Started with 4.10 pacers and finished just behind 4hr pacers. Felt strong throughout, spent the 2nd half picking targets & passing them out. Can't wait for the next one!
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|4:23:19|Harder than I thought. But hungry to do it again.
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|04:18:53|very happy with that time for first marathon, just a slight pity my ITB flared up again at mile 22. Drinks afterwards tasted great!
    fruit pastille|04:20:00|run, enjoy, don't fall over and look back with pride.|04:22:10| enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait to do it all again!
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)|04:09:46|Proud finisher ! Already looking at spring races :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefullysmile.png more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|04:59:41|Foot pain & muscle cramp meant my pace slowed right down from early on. Finished with a smilesmile.png I'll be back for 4:30
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|04:27:12| Was hard hard work, but delighted at the end!
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|04:47:23| was on target until 20miles then my legs just give up on me|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|04:35:59|Was on course to finish at 10 mins a mile until Roebuck hill and the quads decided to start seizing up! Glad the training was worth it plus the crowd helped me cross the line.
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|04:58:54|Satisfied with that, just glad to finish given longest training run was 18.5 miles. Will improve it next time.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|
    Added zaram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

3:40:55

Bloody Blister, have unfinished business. Great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

If someone could update my entry on the table please.

Goal Time 3:49:59 - Chip time 3:48:52 Mision accomplished. Stayed with the 3.50 pacers until mile 24,then pushed on a little. Delighted and a new PB!

MiketheMechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Here goes....race report etc.

Goal Time 3:49:59 - Chip time 3:48:52, so Mission Accomplished! I was very happy with my time from Monday. A new PB (by ten minutes)

Firstly, thanks to career_move and all the contributors on here for all the helpful advice over the past weeks.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed the race, it was actually a very steady uneventful run for me. I just followed the 3 hr 50 min pacers all the way around and stayed close to them at all times. My splits at 10k, half and 20 miles were all fairly even, I even did a slight negative split, which is good.

Roebuck Hill seemed much easier this year - don't know if it was the crowds, or the wall of support, or the music - but it really didn't bother me at all...

I felt slightly sore and uncomfortable around mile 22.5, for a few minutes, but my heart rate and breathing were fine, so I just powered through it and it passed after a few more minutes. After mile 24, I decided to push on a little, so slowly moved ahead of the pacers and into some clearer space ahead of the pace group which made life easier. I managed to keep that minute's gap to the end of the race. Finished the race thrilled with a new PB and my goal time achieved.

Overall, everythig just worked for me - the crowds, the weather, race prep etc. I took some gels: 1 just before the starting gun and again at 9. 12, 15, 18, & 21 miles. As the day was surprisingly warm, I took half a High 5 Salt tab added to my water bottle at 9 miles and 15 miles. I sipped half a bottle of water at every water stop. I avoided the Lucozade drinks.

The signs in the crowd this year were priceless, especially the "Pain Now, Beer Later", "Why do all the cute ones run away?", "Chuck

Norris never ran a marathon" and the best one "Run like you've left the immersion on!". made me LOL a few times on the course.

Thanks to the 3.50 pacers who did a great job and kept everyone's spirits up.
    Finally, a big shout out to my OH who met me at mile 18 with a fresh headband and a gel and cheered me on again on Nassau Street. It definitely helps the miles to go by quicker knowing that there is someone waiting for you further up the course.

After no alcohol for the past 4 weeks, I decided I deserved a pint after finishing, so headed for McGrattans.
    It was great to meet fellow boardsies: Runchick, murphd77, Woden, & blockic.

See you at the next one!

MiketheMechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|3.28.02|Couldn't have gone better. Mental ding dong but beat my target while finishing very strong. Where too next?|
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|03:40:55| Bloody Blister, have unfinished business. Great experience.
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|03:48:52| Mission accomplished. Stayed with the 3.50 pacers until mile 24,then pushed on a little. Delighted and a new PB!

Added Carlow2011 and MiketheMechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭ooter

great post bulmers,inspiring stuff,delighted you achieved your goal time.
    i know what you mean about treadmills,i bleedin depise them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Fooking amazing run Bulmers, a brilliant debut, congratulations. The sky is the limit now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Fooking amazing run Bulmers, a brilliant debut, congratulations. The sky is the limit now!

Loved the report bulmers also! Savage run again. Upwards from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Fantastic report Bulmers74. well done on the day but even more congratulations on the effort you made to get there. It was great to meet you.

Can someone put me in the table please. Time was 5:00:02. Wonderful day, even though my knee let me down. At one time I ran alongside Dracula..very surreal. I`m back next year for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Adding Marty

Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|03:40:55| Bloody Blister, have unfinished business. Great experience.
    Martypk|03:40:00|I`m the eternal optimist|5:00:02|Wonderful day, even though my knee let me down. At one time I ran alongside Dracula..very surreal. I`m back next year for sure
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|03:48:52| Mission accomplished. Stayed with the 3.50 pacers until mile 24,then pushed on a little. Delighted and a new PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Can you add me to the table:

3:52:29 - Delighted! Wouldnt change nothing about the day. First marathon so soaked up the energy, crowd and the run itself. Finished tired & sore but so pleased. Looking forward to Marathon #2 already!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Adding quinlivan and myself.

Martypk|03:40:00|I`m the eternal optimist|5:00:02|Wonderful day, even though my knee let me down. At one time I ran alongside Dracula..very surreal. I`m back next year for sure
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|3:52:29|Delighted! Wouldnt change nothing about the day. First marathon so soaked up the energy, crowd and the run itself. Finished tired & sore but so pleased. Looking forward to Marathon #2 already!
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|04:47:23|Absolutely delighted to finish, but shame about the time, defo thought I had 04:30 in me. Struggled after 20 miles. Will be back for 2014. Crossed finish line with my son which was very special.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

finished @ 04:56:45

ran the first half way too fast and paid for it on the second half , will be back for next year though ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Added myself.

npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|03:56:51|Stayed with 4hr pacers and then pushed on from half way. Delighted with my time. Improvement on last years time but bigger improvement in my physical state from last year. No collapse at the line, no wheelchair, no medical tent! Instead some nice pints in Kehoes! Roll on 2014!
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|3:52:29|Delighted! Wouldnt change nothing about the day. First marathon so soaked up the energy, crowd and the run itself. Finished tired & sore but so pleased. Looking forward to Marathon #2 already!
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|04:47:23|Absolutely delighted to finish, but shame about the time, defo thought I had 04:30 in me. Struggled after 20 miles. Will be back for 2014. Crossed finish line with my son which was very special.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Been away since the marathon and just catching up on everything now and reading through all the race reports! Everyone did amazing and its fantastic to read.

Firstly a huge thanks again to CM and everyone else on the thread for all the support over the past few months - it really has made what felt like quite a lonely tough experience a whole lot easier knowing I wasn't the only person going slightly crazy!!

I've been dreading this but might as well get it out of the way.....race report time Apologies for the length

Desired Finish Time|Secretly hoped for finish time!!|Actual Finish Time
    03:14:59|02:59:59|03:19:50

So where to begin...

Lead up to the marathon

In the lead up to the marathon I've had some really good training weeks and some truely terrible weeks - bit of an exageration but I'm sure you all know what I mean. However, I was fortunate enought to not miss any real key workout and got 6 runs of 20 miles or more done so I am / was in the best shape I have ever been.

The race series was a bit of a mixed bag, times weren't bad 62 for the 10mile and 87 for the half but I would have hoped to run better times all things considered. For the 10 mile I wasn't worried about the finish time as I had no idea what shape I was in so decided to go for it and see how long I could hang on. After 7 miles I was on for 59:xx but blew up on the hills at the end and finished in 62. While I was unhappy with the time I knew I could have ran it faster had I paced it better and I had made a concious effort to really strain myself to see how my body reacted.

For the half marathon I was quite unwell on the day and so it was a real struggle for me.

On the plus side I did have some really good long runs where I felt good strength and was able to pick it up to PMP easily towards the end. 6 weeks out from d-day I did a solo 24mile and averaged 7.12 per mile over the distance and this is where my secret target time of sub 3 came from! In hindisght this may have been too hard a run to do but perhaps I am wrong in thinking this and would appreaciate any feedback on it??

Race Day

My taper period was a little interruted due to twisting my ankle falling on an easy run 3 weeks and as such basically missed 4 days training 3 weeks out. I don't think this effected me but mentally it certainly added a little doubt to the back of my mind.

On the start line I felt fresh and rested and really felt I could challenge for a sub 3 marathon. I lined up alongside the pacers and after a panicky moment trying to get Garmin signal we were off.

Miles 1 - 8

I have never enjoyed a run or a race as much as I did the 8miles of the course. It was such an experience to witness the crowds and have the city all to myself (or so it felt) and I will take that feeling to my grave! I was breezing along with the pacers and pace felt very handy. Said a brief hi to CL who was on her way to a great sub 3 time (v.v.inspiring!).

Here is where I made my fatal mistake - I took a gel at 3 and at 6 miles. Seems small but boy did this back fire.

After the first gel I felt fine but began to feel a bit bloated. By the time 6 miles came around I felt great but stomach was a tiny bit nauseous. In hindsight I should have just waited and instead went with my plan and took the gel anyway. Bit of rookie mistake I will learn from.

Miles 8 - 13.1

Felt good physically and aerobically leaving the park but my stomach was not. I had intended taking 4 gels during the race at 3/6/9/15 but the thoughts of this we tough to tackle as I reached the 9mile mark. Waited until 10miles and even though my stomach was quite delicate I went ahead and took it. Foolishly I thought the cramp / stitch would go away and that I would be thankful of taking the gel now later in the race. Boy was I wrong.

The drag from Dolphins Barn to Halfway was tough going in the wind but I still felt strong and while I had started to feel quite sick I was certain it would pass. Went through halfway in 1.28.58 and was happy with pacing to this point.

Miles 13.1 - 17

Shortly after halfway the wheels began to come off, stich started to get worse and worse and I tried on many occasions to induce sickness in the hope it would make me feel better. Battled on through Terenure really beginning to feel like a DNF was on the cards. However, no matter how bad I felt I knew that going through Terenure in a Sportsworld singlet that there wasn't a hope in hell I would ever live it down if I had to stop here. Eventually made it Orwell Road where I was forced to a stop with stomach cramps. Spent a minute or two trying to get sick but ended up only dry heaving.

At this stage I wanted nothing more than to DNF but I knew I would regret it for the rest of my life so I kept trying to plod along in between crippling bouts of cramps!

Miles 17 - end

This was easily the longest 9miles of my life. At times I honestly thought I would never finish but I just kept trying to keep moving as best I could. From 17 -20 I was mentally in a bad place but around the 20 mile marker I gave myself a bit of a HTFU and forced myself to at least try and enjoy the atmosphere.

By the time I got to Ballsbridge I started cramping quite bad. On the plus side I managed to bump in to Statts at this point I believe as I saw a Sportsworld singlet approaching from behind and I swear to god, even though I was in agony I still managed to identify him via his flowing locks!!! Had a brief chat with and got in beside him for a moment before wishing him luck as he pushed on to a great finish as I forced to stop and stretch out a leg!

By mile 24 I knew I would finish and wouldn't be a million miles away from a respectable time so I really tried to soak up the atmosphere as best I could. It really was incredible and the support up Grand Canal Bridge was something I'll never forget.

Conclusion
    First things first, while all the above reads like a sorry tale I really enjoyed the experience and will never forget it.

I never want to see a gel again. I trained with them but took them more frequently on the day that I ever had in training so I can't blame anyone but myself for what happened. I lacked the experience and courage to listen to my own body and what it was telling me and paid the price! I well and truly learnt that lesson the hard way but I can't change that now!

Next steps are to get back easy running before targetting some good 10km and 5km times and no doubt some cross country races! Thanks so much everyone for all the marathon support and I will be back!

@ Geekington

I was wondering how you got on. Thanks for posting. It's much more difficult to do a race report when you're disappointed. This is just my opinion but I think 24m @ 7:12 even if it was 6 weeks out was a mistake. I think 22m is as far as you need to go in training. This is especially true when you had 6 long lsrs in your plan. I forget when the Dublin HM was in Sept but I think it could have been around that time too?

I think there was nothing wrong with your gel strategy but the fact that you went out with the 3hr pacers meant the pace was a bit hot for you and that's why you developed the cramp/stitch. Again all just my opinion so you may disregard as you see fit :D

At the end of the day it's still a cracking time and you should be well proud. Plenty more to come :D

geekington wrote: »
    6 weeks out from d-day I did a solo 24mile and averaged 7.12 per mile over the distance

Was interested in how you got on a couple days back so I took a look! What I saw wasn't pleasent so was waiting for the report! :)

Fair play for bring honest in it. The race times suggest that sub 3 was a bit of a stretch especially for a first marathon and the above long run was definitely too much IMO.

You said for the 10 mile if you paced it better you would have acheived a better time and the same can probably be said here. I reckon you would have ran 3.10 handy if you went out at that pace and you would have enjoyed the experience much more.

Better to start slow and build it up rather than the opposite way around i think myself.

So, if you had it back again what would you do differently? Or are you satisfied you gave it a shot?

Still a great first marathon time and head back in 12 months to dismantle the sub 3.

SNAP

blockic wrote: »
    SNAP
    Haha beat you to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭ooter

Unlucky geekington but you were right to give it a shot,still a great time.3:10 wouldn't have been a bother to you if you'd went out and stayed with the pacers.

Thanks CM and Blockic and ooter, .

In all honesty - I wouldn't change anything but would forget about the gels and look at some alternative. Perhaps I'd also do a more focused 12 week plan and I definitely wouldn't go above 22 miles as my longest run.

While my recent HM time isn't great in May I put in a 1.24 off not a huge amount of training so the Dublin result was a bit of freak due to illness I think (however, as CM pointed out the previous Saturday before it I had ran the 24miler so this would have been a major contributing factor!!). My 5 mile and 10km times recently would lead me to believe that the sub 3 wasn't a million miles away as the pace was comfortable enough.

I'm most disappointed about the fact that I didn't get the opportunity to find out if the pace was too fast, or if I hadn't done the training as my race was basically over by 12 miles due to the cramps.

Being really honest, I'm just annoyed at myself for being so naive and perhaps reckless as well and not just being more sensible. This was a major learning point for me. In hindsight I actually may look back on the mistakes I made in training, the race series and the marathon itself as a significant milestone in my progression. I'm still repetitively new to running - was overweight and sedatiary 3.5 years ago so I'm still just building my base. Perhaps it might have been a year early for the marathon but you never know until you get out and do it!

After I finished the race I didn't know how I would react but since then I have re-set some goals and am seriously motivated to get training again and get some new achievable goals - after a bit of easy running!

Next targets are my 10km (36.28) and 5km (17.17) PBs as I think they are definitely there for the taking over the next few months - provided I get out and do the speed work - so I have a few goals I'd be interested in attaining before Christmas. I've always preferred the shorter races but the marathon has definitely challenged this!

Thanks for taking the time to get back - much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

fair play for putting it all out there - makes for a tough read as it was clear you were in a bad way when I saw you in Ballsbridge and I know what it feels like to have cramps ruin a race. What I can say from personal experience is that my cramps & stitches occurred in races where I was really stretching myself. In fact I think I remember trying to cling on to you in training one evening last September and the stitch hit me, checking the log there I posted " ....Interestingly, my stitch returned in mile 5. Pretty painful and the pace suffered, it must be effort related....." Obviously everyone reacts differently but I wouldn't be so quick to rule out gels altogether in the future. Sure I'll chat to you further about it down the club now that I've got a name for the face, you've earned a lot of respect in my eyes for sticking it out to the end in the face of so much discomfort.

• Advertisement

Cheers Statts, thanks for the comments - definitely something I want to look at. Most concerning is that I have never experienced them before regardless of effort so something I do need to look at. Gonna pop down tonight so might catch up with you!

Advertisement