Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

How is everyone feeling today! I've finally caught up with all my emails, FB, tweets and now boards. I feel like the past few days have been such a blur. I loved reading everyones race reports - good bad or indifferent.

I love that we have all learned something about ourselves, our running, our attitudes and our motivations.

I cannot wait to run another marathon, but will give it a few months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

drquirky wrote: »
    Proper runners use miles. Kms are used by euro weenies, al Qaeda and tri"athletes"

Typical yank :rolleyes:
    I've got news for you -
    • It's not a World Series when only three countries play in it
    • The Super Bowl is not the most-watched sporting event in the world
    • Nobody else uses miles and yards any more
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Oh, I have posted my race report on my log if anyone is interested in reading.......be warned it's a long 'un.

Well done to all the other novices on Monday, hope to see some of you with your own logs now soon too, it's a great way to keep motivated!

Also, should we get the table going again and fill in our actual times from Monday (and maybe an extra column for a comment on the outcome)? Would be good to see it all filled out now its wrapped up!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

RayCun wrote: »
    Typical yank :rolleyes:
    I've got news for you -
    • It's not a World Series when only three countries play in it
    • The Super Bowl is not the most-watched sporting event in the world
    • Nobody else uses miles and yards any more
    :P
    Not strictly true - horse races in Ireland and GB are all measured in miles and furlongs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the hi-vis jackets the Stewards were wearing on Monday are available to purchase anywhere? They were adidas I think with DCM logo

I also would like to get a hold of one of these any info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not strictly true - horse races in Ireland and GB are all measured in miles and furlongs ;)

Horses and yanks, both slow learners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

The aches and pains in my legs have subsided but Im so so tired. I did nt sleep well Monday night but since I came home im sleeping like a baby, no energy and Im starving! Thank God im not working this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭overpronator

And well done to you too - super running and sweet revenge for Limerick :D

Cheers CM, for whatever reason it just went my way on the day, love the random nature of the marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

sounds like everyone's doing great since Monday.
    Greetings from Lanzarotte:) This was my treat to myself for completing my first marathon but I don't really feel I deserve it as even though I ran the distance on Monday, I'm disappointed not to have run it at planned marathon pace after all that training. Pulled something from start of race so just had to run by feel and adjust pace accordingly so ignored the watch altogether. It hurt quite a bit the whole way around and any time I sped up to mp it hurt more so I just held back. I'm so glad I did this now as running means much more to me than this marathon and if I was injured now I'd be a very unhappy Ososlo :(
    Funny thing was that after running up Roebuck hill, the pain disappeared so felt better in this final stretch than any other part of the race. Great for the head to be passing people on a hill. Was able to finish nice and strong and rather than dying for the finish line to come, i was enjoying myself so much coming around Trinity etc that i didn't want it to end. Had a little cool down jog to McGrattan's which I never thought I'd be able to do.
    Delighted, I finally got to really appreciate the wonderful "DCM Experience". Nothing like it. It's more than a marathon, it's the most special event I ever took part in. How can it be that you can feel like a celebrity while being in a race with nearly 15,000 other people? That is really something special.
    No aches and pains much since Monday or nothing more than I would have suffered on a longer lsr so body yearning to get back into it. I purposely didn't bring the running gear on hols with me as mentally I felt I needed a break but regretting that decision now! Where's the nearest Amphibian King:D A beach run would be just the ticket!
    Only thing I have to worry about now is which bikini to wear and whether my first drink of the day will be a mojito or maybe a glass of prosecco;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

I found myself getting very anxious in the days leading up to the Marathon. 2 of my final LSR's had left me feeling unwell and I was worried the same or worse would happen on the big day. My GP was convinced my issues had been caused by Gastroenteritis and gave me the all clear to run.

Based on times recorded on my iPhone App (I've never ran an official race) I felt sub 3:45 would be easily achieved. However, I took CM's advice and started with the 3:50 pacers.

The atmosphere was great at the start line and off we went. I kept the pacers in front of me but I felt things weren't right, the pace seemed wrong.
    At 5k my App told me through the headphones I was running at 5min/km!. I thought maybe it was just having trouble calibrating at the start, I'd give it a few more KM's to settle. It became obvious soon enough though that it was far from accurate, and never had been. I was angry. I had listened to all the advice not to go out too fast but now I had.
    I made the decision to let the 3:50's go and find my own pace. It was too late though, I started to tire and feel nauseous at Kilmainham. A few horrible KM's followed and I figured a DNF was likely.
    Turning onto Dolphins Barn I got a huge lift, I could not believe the amount of people there shouting everyone on. People had told me how much the crowd would help you on but I never believed them and thought they were being a bit silly!
    I got to see some family at Walkinstown and Terenure which helped, but I was very much feeling the effects of starting too fast.
    After Terenure I was on unfamiliar roads, I felt this was an issue psychologically, a drive of the route beforehand might of helped.
    My legs became very sore around mile 17, something I had never experienced on my 20mi training runs. If anything though it was a good distraction! The nausea and anger was now replaced with pain, and for some reason it spurred me on!
    People warned my about Heartbreak Hill but thankfully nothing in front of me resembled a mountain. I do remember the Wall Of Support being on a tough hill but it did a great job a distracting me. I can't imagine how much harder this marathon would be without the crowd and organisers support.

Heading onto Fosters Avenue my legs were killing me. In training I had used downhill sections to make up time. I couldn't do it here though, my legs were just too sore. There were now alot of people around me having difficulties. My friend had told me this would help inspire me, but I felt terrible for them!. I was thinking to myself "what on earth are we doing this for?"
    From here on I just wanted it over but felt it would never end. I wasn't really slowing though and was overtaking alot of people.
    I noticed the "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon" sign at Grand Canal which raised probably my first smile since the start. The support from here on was ridiculous. I felt really proud to be Irish and now I really knew what people meant about the atmosphere.

I finished in 3:54 and apart from the pain in my legs I felt really good.
    I can't say I enjoyed the whole experience and I said many times during and right after it "never again", but if it wasn't for the bad start I think things would have been alot more positive.
    I'm not going to name the App I have been using. But lets make sure novices are aware of how innacurate they can be (I ran nearly 45km's apparantly!).

Only a few months ago I didn't think I could run a marathon.
    Thank you to everyone here for the help and contributions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Does anyone know when the iTabs for the medals are posted out (if you paid obviously)?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Yes was wondering that myself too, they looked great

I have been informed by the Dublin Marathon people that they are not for sale and were purely for the Stewards, shame, coz I reckon they could have sold a shed load of them

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    I have been informed by the Dublin Marathon people that they are not for sale and were purely for the Stewards, shame, coz I reckon they could have sold a shed load of them

People were offering us money for them on the day so they seemed to have been very popular! 5th time volunteering and def the nicest jacket I have received for it so I am def not parting with mine :).

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Marathon apart - I have this ongoing conundrum I wanted to raise about miles and KM. Since I started running 3 years ago I have measured all runs in KM, so have most of the people I have run with - what I find rather odd is that the marathon seems to be time-warped into the old imperial measurements that became officially defunct in 1997 and the majority of people seem to use imperial as their currency for marathon training. Most people talk about 20 mile runs, not 32k runs - why in **** are marathon runners still using these 16 year old defunct measurements, and why even more weirdly do you get a 10k time and then a 20 mile time on a marathon? Would it be out of the question to suggest that we all just move on to the km measurements like we have had to on everything else? I don't see MPH signs on the M50 anymore...or on any country roads.

I prefer kilometres myself. I had a marathon plan made out by the MyAsics website and I had to pretend I lived in Switzerland in order for it give me the choice of English language and kilometre distances.

It would make much more sense if the marathon would give even splits of a quarter of the course just like the 3/4 race in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Is there any way of posting that list of predicted times alongside what times people actually got? Would be quite interesting to see everyone's predictions alongside their actual times? I think I predicted 4h18 on the list - I came in at 4:19:03.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I prefer Kilometers too - coz I have had injury issues and when incrementing my training distances, I like to do it in small 1K chunks

But I record all my runs on an Excel spreadsheet with formulas to convert distance/pace etc from one system to the other automatically. So its a view of both - so no big deal.

Here's the table going again, everybody should be there who was in before, Added in Colostomy Bag's time too.

And also a new column if people want to stick in a comment on it!

Username|Est. Time|Comments|Act. Time|Comment
    Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|
    JoeyRamone|03:20:00|hoping for 3.20 ish! Thanks and goodluck to all|
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|
    barryoneill50|03:39:59|First marathon, training went well|
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Martypk|03:40:00|I`m the eternal optimist|
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights :), probably end up in a heap :D|
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! ;)|3:57:25|Felt I paced it well, held back until 20m and pushed on from there, v.happy with result!|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    Skidrow|04:09:59|Not my first but hoping it will be my best:)|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|
    Ososlo|04:10:00|Can't wait! BRING IT ON!|
    Rainrunner|04:10:00|I'd love to beat 4:10 but happy to finish.|
    Zaram|04:10:00|never thought I would do one so hope to enjoy it|
    Colostomy Bag|04:18:00|2nd DCM, achieved 4h28m last year.|4:19:03|
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|
    Izoard|04:20:00|Pacer! Hope everyone hits their goals - gonna be great!
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|
    fruit pastille|04:20:00|run, enjoy, don't fall over and look back with pride.|
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefully:) more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|
    Shay95480|04:30:00|firstimer so just hopin to finish in one piece.|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    Dow99|04:39:59|"HOLY Sh*T, I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 5 DAYS TIME!!|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

i dont want to wreck the table so can somone add my time to it please?
    4:18:53, very happy with that time for first marathon, just a slight pity my ITB flared up again at mile 22. Drinks afterwards tasted great!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights :), probably end up in a heap :D|
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! ;)|3:57:25|Felt I paced it well, held back until 20m and pushed on from there, v.happy with result!|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefully:) more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|04:47:23| was on target until 20miles then my legs just give up on me|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|
    [/QUOTE]

Adding in dcorcaigh!

dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|4:18:53|very happy with that time for first marathon, just a slight pity my ITB flared up again at mile 22. Drinks afterwards tasted great!
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|04:47:23| was on target until 20miles then my legs just give up on me|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 slowandsteady

Updated table with time. Happy with the run overall, delighted to come in under 5 hours. The hill at Milltown, just after the Dropping Well pub, killed me, didn't find Roebuck or UCD flyover too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

Dunno how to add to table so if someone could add me that would be great.

3.43.03. Went really well for me. still hurting but left nothing on the course so thats my biggest achievement! a unforgettable experience!

My First ever race report
    Pre race
    Slept til 5.15 am which was a nice surprise, Hampton Hotel were very accommodating with a good breakfast spread at 6 am. Ate cereal and toast with juice and coffee.
    Start line
    Headed over and dropped bag at 8 am, joined the very long toilet queue and it moved surprisingly quickly ( the queue I mean). Took a gel.
    Lined up at the very back of 4 hr pacers .
    Miles 1-5
    The 4 hr pacers took off quicker than I had anticipated and rather than go out to fast I tucked in behind the 4 hr 10. Enjoyed the sights and atmosphere. Took a gel at 4 miles.
    Miles 5-13
    Realised about mile 5 I had lost the 4.10 pacers but don't remember how! Enjoyed the park. Took a gel at 8 miles. From miles 10-13 I was finding it tough, not physically but having negative thoughts-I will never finish etc but I had read this was the hardest part of the course and I knew I had a wobble like this in Athlone so I was living to see the half way mark.
    Miles13-20
    Started to feel good again, took another gel and ran well for next 7 miles, spotted 4 hr pacers at 15 miles and was pleased as I thought that dream was long gone. Took my last gel at 18 as I was sick of them! Had no problem with the hills.
    Miles 20-26.2
    I missed the 21 mile marker and was finding this mile very long when 22 popped up, what a bonus!
    I was right behind the 4 hr pacer at 23 miles and heard the lady say if you can talk at this stage push on so I did. Found the going tough between 23-25 miles but kept thinking of my family following it at home and kept the head up. The last mile was great with the crowds and I was reminding myself that I felt better than on a lot of the long runs. Finished in a dream time of 3:58:23, was delighted.
    I couldn't believe how quickly the legs got stiff and I was freezing, got changed and walked back to hotel, had a long bath and a lie down.

What I learnt
    Im stronger than I thought.
    Taking the gels early while I could tolerate them was the right strategy for me.
    The slower start works for me.(Ran a negative split)
    Negative thoughts can over come you so have a strategy for that.
    I don't like having to make conversation when Im feeling bad, I d rather do it alone.

Thank you all and in particular Career_ Move for your help and support, I m relatively new to running and I would not have had the confidence or courage to run a marathon without all the support and of course the plan!

Can somebody put me on the table 3:58:23. No major pains, delighted with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gibberish37

Can somebody stick me in for 3:56:31. Unbelievably difficult last 2 miles for me but overall it was nearly a life changing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BarneyJ

Added my own time as well as slowandsteady, gibberish37, SamforMayo, and observer2u

BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|03:41:11|Absolutely delighted with this time and with the race in general. Was the most enjoyable race I have ever run!|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |03:56:31|Unbelievably difficult last 2 miles for me but overall it was nearly a life changing experience|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|03:43:03|Went really well for me. still hurting but left nothing on the course so thats my biggest achievement! a unforgettable experience!|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|03:58:23|No major pains, delighted with time.|
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|4:18:53|very happy with that time for first marathon, just a slight pity my ITB flared up again at mile 22. Drinks afterwards tasted great!
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|04:58:54|Satisfied with that, just glad to finish given longest training run was 18.5 miles. Will improve it next time.|

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slowandsteady

Thanks BarneyJ.
    Noticed you took a bit of flak there before the marathon for having the audacity to suggest that any bag would suffice for the drop off area once your race number was on it. Some contributors were adamant that it had to be the official bag- but on the day there was an assortment of bags of all shapes and sizes in the drop off area and all were acceptable once the race number was attached. Its true what they say, sometimes common sense isn't all that common !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ooter

3:25:55 actual time for me,20 miles onwards was TOUGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Sorry I don't know how to update the table.

3.19.26 for me. Race went to plan and I enjoyed every minute of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BarneyJ

I've added ooter and wowzer.

wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|03:19:26|Race went to plan and I enjoyed every minute of it.|
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|03:25:55|20 miles onwards was TOUGH!|
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|03:41:11|Absolutely delighted with this time and with the race in general. Was the most enjoyable race I have ever run!|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |03:56:31|Unbelievably difficult last 2 miles for me but overall it was nearly a life changing experience|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|03:43:03|Went really well for me. still hurting but left nothing on the course so thats my biggest achievement! a unforgettable experience!|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|03:58:23|No major pains, delighted with time.|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|04:58:54|Satisfied with that, just glad to finish given longest training run was 18.5 miles. Will improve it next time.|

Advertisement