Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ooter

i remember seeing the 40km marker and thinking to myself i'm not going to be able to do this for another 2km,from there to the 25 mile marker was probably the toughest of the race for me but when i saw that marker it gave me a little boost again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    i think the fact i had loads of energy left was down to the gel strategy i used.

Intriguing!

Tell us more about this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Intriguing!

Tell us more about this please?

I am only thinking it has to be some part down to the gels as i was feeling so great energy wise during and afterwards (ignoring the dodgy knees). I was also very strict with my diet in the last few weeks and in particular in the days just before the race so that could also have helped. My gel strategy was to start taking them at 1hour mark and then every 30mins, i was using the hi-5 ones and also the hi-5 isogels. i used 4 hi-5 gels and 2 Isogels during the race. I found this on the day worked really well, i had used something similar (but not as many) in training so went with it on Monday. Maybe i am thinking too much about it but i am still amazed how much energy i had and i was trying to figure out how that was!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    I am only thinking it has to be some part down to the gels as i was feeling so great energy wise during and afterwards (ignoring the dodgy knees). I was also very strict with my diet in the last few weeks and in particular in the days just before the race so that could also have helped. My gel strategy was to start taking them at 1hour mark and then every 30mins, i was using the hi-5 ones and also the hi-5 isogels. i used 4 hi-5 gels and 2 Isogels during the race. I found this on the day worked really well, i had used something similar (but not as many) in training so went with it on Monday. Maybe i am thinking too much about it but i am still amazed how much energy i had and i was trying to figure out how that was!!

Give yourself more credit! Gels are only there to top up glycogen stores- I can assure you, the energy you had and the way you ran had little or nothing to do with what gels you did or didn't use. Haven't followed your log or know anything about you but I'd say you trained hard and smart, tapered well and looks like eat smart as well leading up to the race.

If you finished feeling that good, I'd say theres a truckload more in the tank for the next one....

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

It is really great reading all the reports of how people got on, especially having followed each other on here for the past few months.

I gave details of my race a few pages back and as mentioned I was very happy with how it went, The wall hit me like a truck at 23 miles but so happy that I overcame it and dragged myself home.

This week I am mostly going to eat crap food and lie on the couch. Next Monday marks the second beginning. I am very sore today, in fact sorer than yesterday, the muscle pain is easing but I am feeling a few more "sinister" twinges (Knee and ankle) which I hope will just iron themselves out over the next few days. Has anyone any links to information on how best to recover after a marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Vico1612 wrote: »
    High fived my physio a few meters down the road and pushed even harder

Well done! Does your physio work on Pearse St? If so, I think he's my physio too & I was delighted to see him there and even mustered enough energy to thank him (for all his work on my ankle!) as a I jogged (for I was jogging at that stage) by!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Loving all the race reports! Well done everyone:)

Legs were in bits yesterday, struggled to get out of bed! Much better today, managed a slow 2.5m walk around the block, left foot is still sore, hoping I haven't done any damage... Found myself thinking what I would do next time round, more MP miles, speed work etc to nail that 4:30... Ahhh what am I doing thinking about NEXT time, this was meant to be a once off:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Loving all the race reports! Well done everyone:)

Legs were in bits yesterday, struggled to get out of bed! Much better today, managed a slow 2.5m walk around the block, left foot is still sore, hoping I haven't done any damage... Found myself thinking what I would do next time round, more MP miles, speed work etc to nail that 4:30... Ahhh what am I doing thinking about NEXT time, this was meant to be a once off:eek:
    Don't be ridiculous. Of course there's a next time - it's just a question of where :D

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Has anyone any links to information on how best to recover after a marathon?
    Recovery is almost as important as the race itself if you want to build on what you did on Monday and progress. This goes for pacers (official and otherwise) and novices alike!

Reposting from previous post (because I'm lazy :D)

The next 2- 5 days you will suffer from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)…. more reading!! (well what else will you be doing over the next few days)

What should you do to combat DOMS…no running until the soreness has subsided, you are placing yourself at injury risk if you run before your muscles have a chance to begin repairing…….
    go for walks, go swimming, biking, plenty of baths( with Epsom salt bath if you have it), get a massage ( I think there are arguments for & against this so everyone decide for themselves and sleep, lots of sleep!!

Forget about running plans, training schedules etc for a few days and give your brain (& partner, family, workmates etcwink.png) a rest!!

After the first week the soreness should be gone, if there are any injury worries, get then looked at. A massage this week is certainly a great idea!!

Hal Higdon has a 4 week recovery plan to start one week after the marathon

More info here:
    http://running.competitor.com/2013/09/training/the-importance-of-recovery-after-a-marathon_59478/2

Thanks for that career_move. Sorry, I don't recall seeing this post before. Now I feel really lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

What should you do to combat DOMS…no running until the soreness has subsided, you are placing yourself at injury risk if you run before your muscles have a chance to begin repairing…….
    go for walks, go swimming, biking, plenty of baths( with Epsom salt bath if you have it), get a massage ( I think there are arguments for & against this so everyone decide for themselves, if you’ve never has one before, now is not the time to start…..sleep, lots of sleep!!

Forget about running plans, training schedules etc for a few days and give your brain (& partner, family, workmates etcwink.png) a rest!!

After the first week the soreness should be gone, if there are any injury worries, get then looked at. A massage this week is certainly a great idea!!

Hal Higdon has a 4 week recovery plan to start one week after the marathon

More info here:
    http://running.competitor.com/2013/09/training/the-importance-of-recovery-after-a-marathon_59478/2

Just a bit further on the massages. I would say to people they are a good idea to get this week but just ensure whoever is doing it is using superficial techniques (effleurage and petrissage). NO DEEP TISSUE techniques or MET. Epsom Salt bath a good idea also.

Thanks for that career_move. Sorry, I don't recall seeing this post before. Now I feel really lazy.
    Haha no bother :D It was at the end of a post last week - you probably had other things on your mind then ;)

went for a 15 min swim earlier and feel a lot better,thigh muscles are defo getting more painful as the days go on.won't be doing any running till next tuesday.
    toenails are sore,the nail on my left big toe kills.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Just saw on independent.ie that the guy who collapsed at the finish line died.

RIP fellow marathon runner

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just heard that - first the half marathon, and now the DCM also. :(

RIP. It's been said before, but when something like that happens, it makes all the talk of times, injuries etc. so meaningless.

yeah just got a text about it.awful news,only a young lad too.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Such terrible news... He was raising money for British heart foundation god love him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

His first marathon and he completed it in 3:10.

It shows we all have to be so careful

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

That is so sad. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Ok time for my official race report. I actually had to watch the video back again to remind myself of parts of the course – miles 14 to 19 were a bit of a blur!

Legs much better today. Off to training this evening - not to do any actual running mind but to show off my medal and my top :D:D

Day/ night before

Sunday was looooooooong. Spent the morning printing out mass booklets for the wedding and checking Boards every 10 seconds to see how everyone else was feeling. None of my real life friends were talking to me anymore since my standard answer became "I can't - I'm training for the marathon"
    On Sunday afternoon I went to my parents' for dinner and got fed pasta and chicken and my mother made one last attempt at "would you not reconsider, it's meant to be very windy tomorrow. Sure at least only do some of it and pull out if you get tired". She thinks I'm 13 not 31.
    Sunday evening was spent packing and repacking my bag. Nearly felt like going online to see if there was a baggage allowance as I had so much stuff. I've packed less for a 2 week holiday in France. Lots of support messages and texts from family and friends added to the excitement
    Slept well that night and didnt have any crazy running dreams which was good

Monday morning

Woke up before the alarm and 5:45 and had breakfast of brown toast and jam, a banana and some orange juice. Managed a successful toilet visit :P. Did some back stretches and layered on the Vaseline and BodyGlide. Got my water bottles out of the freezer and double checked everything.Left at 7:15 to walk down to meet some others from the club - we had booked a taxi. Chat was light hearted on the way in which really helped me. I wasn't that nervous but was really excited and jittery. Got left off at the Davenport and went to the toilet there.
    Headed for bag drop around 8:15 and said goodbye to our faster (orange number runners). There was 5 of us running together so we dropped bags and headed for the green pen. All on good form and the company helped pass the time until gun time!

Miles 1-5 (9:58, 9:42, 9:35, 9:38, 9:32)

It took around 3 miles (Dorset st??) to dawn on me that this was it, I was actually running the marathon. Got a little emotional then. Spent the first few miles watching our pace and just drinking it all in - the support, the posters, the beautiful day. Didn't take on water at the first 2 stations as I had enough in my belt. Took a gel just as we came into the park and nearly tripped over a ramp as I did so. Felt good but not properly settled into my run.

Miles 6-10 (9:57, 10:12, 9:29, 9:29, 9:53)

Had a quick toilet break at mile 6 - I didn't really need one but we had agreed to stop so we did. Found it a bit hard to pick up the pace again but soon got into our stride. Had some supporters as we turned off Chesterfield onto Furze Rd and again at the Chapelizod gate which gave a boost. Made such a lovely change to be running DOWN towards Chapelizod. Although it was here my stomach started to feel the effects of the first gel and never really recoverd for the rest of the race. Just a queasy feeling, nothing serious. I had no problems with gels in training. Chapelizod was fab with support - bbqs and everything! Found the hills no problem. Head down, pump the arms and lean forward.

Miles 11 - 15 (9:38, 9:51, 10:02, 9:49, 9:48)

Really started to get into my stride here eventhough my IT band was starting to strain a little - and not the one I had physio on :rolleyes: . Kept squirting water on my legs which helped and changing my stride to loosen out. Wind along Crumlin Rd wasn't much fun but passed the time talking to everyone I could see and waving at random strangers calling my name. Hit the halfway point at 2:09 which I was in truth a little disappointed with although looking back I don't know why because my HM time is 1:58. Anyway! Just before mile 14 (I think) some woman stepped out on the road to take our photo. I was ready to shout at her until I realised it was our coach!! Gave us a great lift.

Miles 16 - 20 (9:55, 10:05, 9:57, 9:58, 10:08)

Had a series of peaks and lows during these five miles. I don't think I hit The Wall but I definitely grazed it with my elbows. Stomach was dodgy so I was incredibly sensible and took another gel :D:D . Got a huge boost coming around Bushy Park and wherever that DJ was. As I said at the start - a bit of a blur!

Miles 21 - 25 (10:22, 9:33, 9:36, 9:50, 9:55)

Met my dad at mile 20 and he had a bottle of flat cola for me - I definitely needed the sugar at that stage! Was so happy to see him, he was a (much much faster) marathon runner in his youth and I could see the pride in his eyes. I lost my team mates here - they pulled back a little and I felt good so went on. Met Martypk here - good on you Marty for finishing - you looked very grey :-( My mum was just after Roebuck hill and she was screaming her lungs out for me which gave me a great boost. From here I started to feel great and I kicked it up a gear with the help of the Sawdoctors and the Proclaimers on my ipod (never run with music but glad I brought it - and I only had one bud in so I could still hear what was going on). Met one of my club mates at RDS and ran with him for a little bit but he was suffering so I left him to it (he wanted me to go). Around Beggars Bush I spotted the place I was stewarding last year and this gave me an extra boost as I knew I wasn't that far from the finish. Pearse St was tough enough as there were runners just coming to a halt and slowing down to walk without any warning so I had to keep weaving. Also the crowd were packed in very tight - only room for 2 or 3 runners to get through. I remembering noticing that last year. Had friends positioned at Pearse Station and thought I missed them but they were a bit further on so that gave me another lift. I was able to give them a smile and a wave.

Mile 25.5 - 26.2 (9:56, 9:16)

I was so delighted with everything and enjoying the crowds. Then I came round by College Green and Trinity Front Arch and BAM!!! "Hello Wall" . At the time I didn't know it but looking back it was definitely the wall. I had a friend there and afterwards she told me she was screaming my name and "get up the aisle" (getting married in 4 weeks). Heard none of it. She said I was completely grey. All I remember thinking was "just keep going, you're not stopping here, no way". Pure stubborness got me down Nassau St. I could hear the crowds but my addled brain made me think I was the only one on the course. I saw the finish line and couldn't quite believe I was crossing it. Finished with a huge stupid smile on my face and my hands in the air - on the video I look like I'm having the time of my life. Delirious more like!

Chip Time: 4:22:10

Post race

Got very wobbly going through the finishers chute but remember turning to the guy beside me and saying "I'm doing that again!" Started to cry after I got my tshirt and took me a while to get around to baggage area. I just kept saying "I ran a marathon, I ran a marathon"

Lows
    • The effect the gels had on my stomach and the fact that I'm still nauseous every time I eat. I had 5 isogels and had been well used to them from training
    • Nassau St
    • Seeing a few of my clubmates suffer when I know what they have in them
    • Peeing behind a tree in the Phoenix Park

Highs
    • Feeling good at 10 miles
    • The crowds
    • Feeling great from miles 20 - 25.5 and being able to step it up a gear.
    • Having the sense for once in my life to pace myself
    • The crowds
    • The pride I feel wearing my finishers t shirt
    • The crowds
    • Running around places in my city that I've never seen before
    • The soreness in my legs yesterday (yes to me that's a high)
    • The fact I am now a part of Club 26.2

The thing I'm most proud of - running every single step of it!

I've so much more I could say but I'm sure you've had enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Oh no just read this after I posted my report. The poor man, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

I have just come on and seen this post, Terrible news about that poor guy. Shocking thing to happen again, and its freaking me out a bit as he was of similar age! RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Marathon apart - I have this ongoing conundrum I wanted to raise about miles and KM. Since I started running 3 years ago I have measured all runs in KM, so have most of the people I have run with - what I find rather odd is that the marathon seems to be time-warped into the old imperial measurements that became officially defunct in 1997 and the majority of people seem to use imperial as their currency for marathon training. Most people talk about 20 mile runs, not 32k runs - why in **** are marathon runners still using these 16 year old defunct measurements, and why even more weirdly do you get a 10k time and then a 20 mile time on a marathon? Would it be out of the question to suggest that we all just move on to the km measurements like we have had to on everything else? I don't see MPH signs on the M50 anymore...or on any country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Marathon apart - I have this ongoing conundrum I wanted to raise about miles and KM. Since I started running 3 years ago I have measured all runs in KM, so have most of the people I have run with - what I find rather odd is that the marathon seems to be time-warped into the old imperial measurements that became officially defunct in 1997 and the majority of people seem to use imperial as their currency for marathon training. Most people talk about 20 mile runs, not 32k runs - why in **** are marathon runners still using these 16 year old defunct measurements, and why even more weirdly do you get a 10k time and then a 20 mile time on a marathon? Would it be out of the question to suggest that we all just move on to the km measurements like we have had to on everything else? I don't see MPH signs on the M50 anymore...or on any country roads.

How is your bike and swimsuit these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Not sure if I got your point there Blockic, but I do know that the pool I swim in and the one you might occasionally wear a bikini in is measured in metres, 25 of them. I reckon most pools are measured this way and generally they don't base running distances on waist or frame measurements last time I checked. Usain Bolt may have run 328.084 feet to win the gold medal for 100m, but I didn't see any imperial signs on his run either..
    What size are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Not sure if I got your point there Blockic?....

It's a humerous reference to the ongoing (boards?) battle between marathoners & triathletes both of whom use different ways to measure their disciplines.

Marathoners look on with distain towards the young upstarts that use the metric system in their pursuit of the kind of supreme exertion the marathoners get by just getting up, putting on their trainers & running.

Some of us straddle both sides of the fence in order to hedge the bets & get the most girls.

Does anyone know if the hi-vis jackets the Stewards were wearing on Monday are available to purchase anywhere? They were adidas I think with DCM logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Proper runners use miles. Kms are used by euro weenies, al Qaeda and tri"athletes"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Does anyone know if the hi-vis jackets the Stewards were wearing on Monday are available to purchase anywhere? They were adidas I think with DCM logo

Yes was wondering that myself too, they looked great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

drquirky wrote: »
    Proper runners use miles. Kms are used by euro weenies, al Qaeda and tri"athletes"

You shouldn't judge euro weenies, al Qaeda and tri"athletes" until you've walked a kilometre in their shoes!:P

Advertisement