Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Usyk/Gassiev on July 21 in Moscow. Usyk giving no f*cks again fighting in the opponent's back yard. I'd be fearful the Russians will concoct something, Usyk will have to win convincingly or get the stoppage to get the nod I feel. Great fight though, only Betway seem to have a line and have Usyk @ 1.36 and Gassiev @ 3.1. There has to be some value in Gassiev there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Usyk/Gassiev on July 21 in Moscow. Usyk giving no f*cks again fighting in the opponent's back yard. I'd be fearful the Russians will concoct something, Usyk will have to win convincingly or get the stoppage to get the nod I feel. Great fight though, only Betway seem to have a line and have Usyk @ 1.36 and Gassiev @ 3.1. There has to be some value in Gassiev there.

The judges will most likely be neutral/fair for both teams..

You think they’ll be bought?

walshb wrote: »
    The judges will most likely be neutral/fair for both teams..

You think they’ll be bought?

With the WBSS there it surely means there's less of a chance of corruption but I'd put nothing past Russia, especially seeing Gassiev probably has the biggest potential of the current Russian crop. A loss to Usyk doesn't deter him massively but a win over Usyk sends shockwaves throughout the sport.

I see Joe Ward lost a tight 3/2 to his old nemesis, La Cruz from Cuba today in the Chemistry Cup in Germany. Ward dropped La Cruz in rd 1....No doubt La Cruz got up and tickled his way into wowing the judges!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    Just watched it there. The usual tactical affair but this time around, it could have went either way. He must be sick of the
    sight of Cruz.

Genuinely very little in that. The commentators didn't seem to be too impressed. It has to be looked at as progress though.

One thing that Joe should work on is throwing the third and sometimes the fourth punch. It was a three punch combination that floored Da Cruz, but he seldom threw them after that. Attacking someone so hard to catch, throwing singles or twos is seldom going to succeed.

• Advertisement

Ward is definitely getting closer to beating him. La Cruz just always appears to have loads left in the locker though. He coasts his way to wins all the time, but when he actually has to work he has little problem trading and putting in the volume.

I'd be interested to see his approach as a pro even though he's not really shaped to be a pro. He's clearly got a system for the short amateur fights where he can steal rounds without trying too hard but he can turn on the intensity very easily when needed and I'd be curious to see if he'd alter his approach with longer and more enduring fights or would he just do a Floyd and try and con rounds all night long.

Ward is definitely getting closer to beating him. La Cruz just always appears to have loads left in the locker though. He coasts his way to wins all the time, but when he actually has to work he has little problem trading and putting in the volume.

But he doesn't land very much. Just looks in control without actually landing punches. It's a skill in itself I suppose, where it's more about perception than anything else.

Not only does La Cruz not land much, he rarely lands correctly or cleanly..

Fair play to the Ref for warning him a few times for clowning and not boxing...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Watching the fight yesterday I was of the firm belief Joe had done more than enough to win but still wasn't surprised that La Cruz got the verdict. I suppose you develop a sixth sense about these things the longer you are watching.

After another watch today it's definitely closer than I was allowing for, but I still believe Joe was desperately unlucky to lose. He must be thinking that he'll have to knock yer man out of the ring if he's ever to get that elusive victory against him.

To me there was obviously one clear cut round in that and two very tight ones. I think La Cruz was either complacent or maybe a little put out by the ref's warnings - bout time you'd say - but he left himself totally exposed for one moment and Joe seriously took advantage. But that round was about more than just the knockdown, I thought he was in control throughout, landed several good blows and took hardly anything in return.

La Cruz was much better in the second. I take on board the criticism of his style and punching method, but the punches come so fast at the same time, there's simply no defending against them. I thought they both traded some good blows in that second round, but wouldn't quibble with the Cuban shading it at the same time. However, Joe had an even better third round for me and I just cant have him losing both of those last 2 rounds. I'm not boringly screaming fix or daylight robbery or anything like that, just think a poor decision was reached and I hope he draws confidence from this and realises he can have this guy's measure next time round and any time after.

Taylor/Postol on channel 5 at 10.20 tonight.

• Advertisement

La Cruz knocked out in rd 1 today by Khalil Cole of the USA...LHW final.

Been saying it years, he’s crap!��

It’s on YouTube. Cracker of a right hand, but maybe should have been allowed continue...

And who was there in the Yank’s corner?

Cole also knocked his semi final opponent out. Pretty heavy one that. Looks real quality. Slick, fast and intent on boxing/punching..

La Cruz knocked out in rd 1 today by Khalil Cole of the USA...LHW final.

Been saying it years, he’s crap!��

It’s on YouTube. Cracker of a right hand, but maybe should have been allowed continue...

And who was there in the Yank’s corner?

Ah here hardly crap, he's one of the most decorated amateurs of all time, regardless if you can't warm to his style.

Ah here hardly crap, he's one of the most decorated amateurs of all time, regardless if you can't warm to his style.

Those question marks are smiley faces...

Absolute crap to watch. And offensively crap...

Just seen the footage of the La Cruz 'KO'. I mean it's hard not to find it enjoyable when someone clowning around gets caught, and it was a lovely punch by the American lad but talk about a horrific stoppage. He beat the count handily and had his gloves up ready to resume. Terrible from the ref. If it were the worlds or the Olympics there would be war.

Just seen the footage of the La Cruz 'KO'. I mean it's hard not to find it enjoyable when someone clowning around gets caught, and it was a lovely punch by the American lad but talk about a horrific stoppage. He beat the count handily and had his gloves up ready to resume. Terrible from the ref. If it were the worlds or the Olympics there would be war.

Was a lovely shot. Definitely hurt him. But he could have continued..

He was losing the rd as well, which I am happy with. I think that Cole lad has the exact style, tools, range and skills to have La Cruz’s number...

Could somebody post a link please. I had a quick look on Youtube last night and didn't find anything.

Google La Cruz knocked out. Should return video result..

https://youtu.be/5K13Z6nSc78

Google La Cruz knocked out. Should return video result..

https://youtu.be/5K13Z6nSc78

Yeah, got it, thanks.

Beautiful punch. Short, sharp, precise. But a sh*te stoppage.

Yeh, he was ok to continue from what I saw...

But maybe the ref saw different. Right up close and all that...

Semi final a peach

https://youtu.be/BjUPDiibJxc

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    Yeah, got it, thanks.

Beautiful punch. Short, sharp, precise. But a sh*te stoppage.

Yeah, totally. La Cruz looked a bit shook I reckon but, ffs, give him a chance at least.

The great LHWs from the past would have steamrolled La Cruz...

Two that come to mind are the 1976 Leon Spinks and the 1984 Holyfield..

Yeah, totally. La Cruz looked a bit shook I reckon but, ffs, give him a chance at least.

Playing devil’s advocate, but was it LA Cruz’s kind of still body and blank stare that swayed the ref?

Maybe he should have been more alert, reactive and moved around a little to really impress upon the ref that he was on and clear?

Playing devil’s advocate

Really? You??

Playing devil’s advocate, but was it LA Cruz’s kind of still body and blank stare that swayed the ref?

Maybe he should have been more alert, reactive and moved around a little to really impress upon the ref that he was on and clear?

I'm guessing refs are under instruction to err on the side of caution these days, its the way things are going. Just think he's gone a bit overboard on this occasion, though you can make the argument for the ref alright.

This American kid does look good though. Been ages since they had a decent light heavyweight on their books over there.

Pros/ams considered, from watching it on the couch it looked a little premature...

Anyway, glad he got beaten...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Great to see La Cruz put on the floor. He is very frustrating to watch, it must be terrible to box him.
    I'm sure he could have continued, however, the fact that Ward floored him as well probably had some influence in the ref calling it.

Had a look at the stoppage again....

Not as premature as first thought. La Cruz was rocked and dazed. Looked a bit "out of it." Staring blankly at the referee without moving...

The ref may have been thinking that if I let it go he could get whacked very heavy.....

La Cruz's senses didn't seem to be all there...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

pac_man wrote: »
    boxer.fan wrote: »
    Great to see La Cruz put on the floor. He is very frustrating to watch, it must be terrible to box him.
    I'm sure he could have continued, however, the fact that Ward floored him as well probably had some influence in the ref calling it.

Ward dropping him would have zero to do with the ref calling a halt. What is it about Cruz that makes him frustrating to watch?
    You can't really say that Ward dropping him had no part in the refs decision. You weren't the referee.
    I just don't like that style of boxing. I respect his achievements & how he gets the decisions but it's not for me.

• Advertisement

Had a look at the stoppage again....

Not as premature as first thought. La Cruz was rocked and dazed. Looked a bit "out of it." Staring blankly at the referee without moving...

The ref may have been thinking that if I let it go he could get whacked very heavy.....

La Cruz's senses didn't seem to be all there...

He's clearly dazed alright. On reflection i wouldnt have too much argument with the call.

Advertisement