Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,042 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He's clearly dazed alright. On reflection i wouldnt have too much argument with the call.

Could well have been in the eyes. We not being able to see clearly. The ref right up close.

Refs get an awful (in a lot of instances unfair and uncalled for) hard time doing a very important and difficult job, where split second decisions can be the difference between life and death. Not saying this the case ere, just making the overall point. In this case, the referee had to make a call on whether or not to allow a man back into combat, where he could have been hit hard and heavy again, hard and heavy when he may not have been significantly recovered from the initial punch. He erred on the side of caution. I reckon he saw it in La Cruz's eyes that he was glazed and dazed, and for that he wasn't going to allow him back in to take more potentially dangerous shots.

I’d be very surprised if the Ward flash knockdown came into the mind of the referee who called a halt to La Cruz in the final..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Saunders v Andrade agreed for October in the States. Brilliant fight that.

Not a mention of Garcia/Easter this weekend. Don’t know what channel...

Morrison J wrote: »
    Saunders v Andrade agreed for October in the States. Brilliant fight that.

Wait for the injury...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

walshb wrote: »
    Not a mention of Garcia/Easter this weekend. Don’t know what channel...

not been picked up by UK TV as far as i know, which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

gwalk wrote:
    not been picked up by UK TV as far as i know, which is a shame

I fair wonder what BoxNation be doing sometimes. Always seem to miss out on showing some big fights and no one else showing it. They'd be bidding against no one really.

Well, nice to see Garcia make 135. It really does set up a Loma fight now. Needs to happen soon..if Mikey beats Easter, Loma has to be next..

Mike - Loma won't happen till 2019 at the earliest. Mikey - Spence seems a lot more likely to happen end of year at the moment. Both seem to want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Garcia is an absolute champ if he takes on the Spence fight. He looked a little pudgy at 140, he's going to be a balloon at 147. Can't see anything other than Spence mangling him though. Size difference is too much and Spence is relentless. Spence's boxing is quite underrated too, far more to him than just ripping body shots, power in both hands and keen for the inside work. Mikey is the more skilled fighter but it won't make up the deficit on its own.

• Advertisement

If Garcia moves to 147 for Spence he has balls of steel...

Spence brutalizes him...

Does he really though? It's another Brook - Golovkin situation. You move up in weight, everyone counts you out, you do well in defeat and your rep takes literally zero hit along with a great payday. Mikey has little to lose in that fight really.

He's probably my favourite current fighter but he's a smart guy. Knows exactly what he's doing trying to get the Spence fight.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Does he really though? It's another Brook - Golovkin situation. You move up in weight, everyone counts you out, you do well in defeat and your rep takes literally zero hit along with a great payday. Mikey has little to lose in that fight really.

He's probably my favourite current fighter but he's a smart guy. Knows exactly what he's doing trying to get the Spence fight.

Does he really have balls of steel? Or does Spence really brutalize him?

I’d answer yes to both.

Why isn't Mikey doing the 140 Super Series actually? If he ended up beating the likes of Prograis and Taylor it would do wonders for his resume and he'd establish his name more as well. Then maybe he could consider a fight with Crawford or Spence. Jumping right up to 147 against a guy who's not even a PPV fighter and an absolute killer is a bit weird. I think fighting Crawford makes some sense once Crawford retires Manny and his name is at its highest. Crawford is a better boxer than Spence but at least he won't take a piece of your soul.

Spence is a superb boxer/fighter/puncher.

Not sure Crawford or Mikey are better “boxers.”

Sorry, I mean in the sense of technical skill. But yeah, Spence is a high level boxer as well to go with a murderous puncher. He seems to be able to overwhelm guys with his power and activity for the moment. He is a big 147er. When he moves to 154 and maybe even 160 I think we'll get to see him in all his glory when his power isn't crippling lads so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Spike vs Lemieux has been signed off apparently. Makings of a right good bout. They are at a similar level. Likely someone will be going to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

You'd have to fancy Lemieux by KO in that one.

Johner wrote: »
    You'd have to fancy Lemieux by KO in that one.

Both limited, but Spike is far too easy to tag clean. Lemieux should have more to him. Spike is decent puncher, nothing more. Lemieux is a better puncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Love Garcia he's one of the top fighters p4p in the world imo but he has no business at 147 against Spence, Spence himself is a massive 147 pounder he'd brutally beatdown Garcia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Natahsa Jonus was beaten badly tonight by Vivian Obenoaf...Knocked down 3 times before towel was thrown in in the 4tb round...Reckon it puts paid to her hopes of a huge fight with Katie Taylor...
    ...Hard to say whether tonight's fight exposes Jonus, or enhances Katir Taylor's victory against Obenoaf, probably a combination of both...

Kovalev exposed again. No sympathy for him after he blamed the judges and his trainer for the Ward fights.

Just disgusted I didn't have any money on Alvarez. Was clear Kovalev was ready to take another loss. Didn't think Alvarez was the man to do it tbh. Still don't think he's anything near special.

No huge surprise with Kovalev. Alvarez a big sturdy unit with power. Solid chin and stinging heavy jab. Closed the show well...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Anthony Yarde must be kicking himself for not taking the Kovalev fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭megadodge

Despite never being completely taken in by the whole 'monster' Kovalev thing, I feel he's got a raw deal over the Ward fights and this loss will undoubtedly see some serious revisionism on the internet.

While I thought the first Ward fight was very close and didn't have a problem with Ward nicking it, people seem to have forgotten that the majority of those who saw it had Kovalev the winner.

Then in the rematch IMO he was winning clearly and while hurt by probably the hardest right hand Ward ever threw, he was hit THREE times in the groin and in true American style that was perfectly ok once the boxer on the receiving end was a foreigner.

I have to admit I didn't see what all the fuss was about Alvarez when he was being hyped a few years back and while I thought he'd give a good account of himself in this fight I didn't expect him to win. But he did and more power to him, but I hope Kovalev's reputation doesn't suffer because of it.

Kovalev has been a little unlucky alright. Aside from the Ward outcomes his trainer was basically non existent for those fights and his promoter was screwing him over and he didn't even get paydays from those fights. He definitely looked an aged fighter last night but I still had him winning the fight up until the end. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired right away to be honest. Stevenson will probably lose to Gvozdyk soon enough and the big fight will have lost all its sheen. The Bivol fight would have been a nice passing of the guard but that looks very unlikely now as well.

Kovalev never got the same level of admiration as Golovkin but I always preferred him as a fighter. Ridiculous power for a lad who looks like he never had seen the inside of a gym and great boxing skill as well. That switch hitting one two he does is absolutely fantastic.

I’m a bit bemused how a poster, (Morrison J) who regularly slates judges and calls fixes and robberies is getting a dig at a boxer who lost a controversial decision to an American boxer in a fight judged and refereed by 4 American officials in America...I mean, he deserves to be a little pissed, even if he did agree to it..

Had this been Ward in Russia losing with 4 Russian officials I am sure he too may have been a bit pissed. Would the poster get a dig at Ward in this instance?

The exposed angle? Ward did not expose Kovalev at all...

Fight 1 many had Kovalev the winner..

Fight 2 for me was even more controversial..no exposing there apart from Ward clearly fighting dirty..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kovalev was winning the fight up until the sixth round. He seems to have stamina issues, which also affected him against Ward. I wonder, assuming Kovalev fights on, will Stevenson now feel confident to face him, after the years spent ducking him.

walshb wrote: »
    I’m a bit bemused how a poster, (Morrison J) who regularly slates judges and calls fixes and robberies is getting a dig at a boxer who lost a controversial decision to an American boxer in a fight judged and refereed by 4 American officials in America...I mean, he deserves to be a little pissed, even if he did agree to it..

Had this been Ward in Russia losing with 4 Russian officials I am sure he too may have been a bit pissed. Would the poster get a dig at Ward in this instance?

The exposed angle? Ward did not expose Kovalev at all...

Fight 1 many had Kovalev the winner..

Fight 2 for me was even more controversial..no exposing there apart from Ward clearly fighting dirty..
    So Ward didn't expose any of Kovalev's weaknesses? His inability to take shots to the body? His stamina issues?

Thought Alvarez took a lot from what Ward did last night. High output to the body, tired him out and hurt with with nearly the exact punch Ward did in the second fight.

First fight was close, not controversial. If the cards had given Ward something stupid like 9 rounds + I'd have been outraged. They gave it to him by a point though which is exactly how I had it. No controversy there for me.

• Advertisement

Stamina issues?

Fight 1 went 12 and he was every bit as fit and fighting as Ward..

Inability to take body shots fight 2? You’re having a laugh...

Advertisement