Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

deadybai wrote: »
    any reports on the Kilkenny players playing today for their colleges?

Carlow had a strong contingent. Richie Doyle the most noteworthy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Grats

andyman wrote: »

How did.Doyle perform? Obviously Carlow had no player capable of dealing with Lehane. Padraic Gahan M'vat had dealt with Lehane in the WIT v UCC game. WIT would be a better overall team than Carlow I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

andyman wrote: »

Richie Doyle doesn't go to college in Carlow, unless he joined in the last 4 weeks. He was at my works Christmas party, and he was working with us for a couple of months beforehand. Think he left for a bank job, not college.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

pa Dillon wrote: »
    Is it the first time in the history of the gaa championship that a team were beaten twice still won the all Ireland minor hurling championship 2013.

Offaly in 1998 :D

Cork ladies' footballers matched the Waterford minors' feat two weeks later, Kerry had beaten them twice in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

randd1 wrote: »
    Richie Doyle doesn't go to college in Carlow, unless he joined in the last 4 weeks. He was at my works Christmas party, and he was working with us for a couple of months beforehand. Think he left for a bank job, not college.

According to his profile on Kilkenny GAA he is a student in IT Carlow :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Richie Doyle captained IT Carlow from centre-back last night.

Richie Doyle captained IT Carlow from centre-back last night.

He must have went back to college so to finish off a semester so, he was definitely working full time in our place until a few weeks ago. Good to see him get a few games all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The team I would like to see in Ennis.

Eoin Murphy
    Conor Fogarty, Michael Walsh, Jackie,
    Paul Murphy, Brian Hogan, Joey Holden,
    Michael Rice, Paric Phelan,
    Larkin, TJ, Tommy
    JJ Farrell, Henry, Colin.

Subs
    Herity,
    JJ,
    Brian Kennedy,
    R Doyle,
    Padraig Walsh,
    Buckley,
    Lester,
    Richie Hogan,
    Taggy,
    Wally (if available),
    Geoff Brennan,
    Liam Ryan,
    Joe Brennan,
    Kevin Kelly,

Not sure if lads in blue will make it but would like to see them get a crack.

Lads to come back
    Mick Fennelly,
    Kieran Joyce,
    Ger Aylward,

Lads I would have on the fringe
    Matt Ruth,
    David Langton,
    Shane Prendergast,
    Mark Kelly,
    Tomas Kehoe,
    Thomas Breen,
    John Power,

Richie Power-don't think he's back on the panel, he definitely wasn't a week ago. He was getting a last chance to impress with a fitness test last weekend, didn't hear how it went, heard he had been working incredibly hard in the gym since November. I hope for his sake he did get back but haven't heard anything on the grapevine.

Even without Richie that still looks like an embarrassment of riches if we can just get one or two of the young lads to complete the step up we will take some stopping.

I think that team for Ennis would have a very good chance of winning.

Decent team there but I would suggest some changes.

E Murphy
    C Fogarty M Walsh Brian Kennedy
    Tommy B Hogan P Murphy
    P Walsh M Rice
    TJ Reid. C Fen Larkin
    JJ Farrell M Kelly Henry

Kennedy is a great prospect. Played well in Croke Park last Sat. Would have had more games under his belt but was apparently injured.

No way would I move Tommy out of wing back, at least not until we find a replacement. Perhaps try Holden there and use Tommy as a sub.

Padraig Walsh, captain of UL, is having an outstanding season with his college. He looked the part in midfield last Sat. Taken off as he had played with UL the day before and lined out with them again on Sun.

Mark Kelly is doing grand to date. I'd stick with him and move him out to half forward if necessary.

John Power is recovering from a broken hand. Pity he didn't get to play in Fitzgibbon and Walsh Cup. I'd have no problem starting him if he was fit.

I too heard that Richie Power was on the way back. Hope he does get sorted for his own sake. If he does he'll be some addition.

I'd be tempted to slot Richie Hogan in for Henry but have no idea what state of fitness he's at.

Clare got a trimming from a mostly second string Tipp team last night. They conceded 4 goals but managed to get 3. Apparently Davy trained them hard during the week. Presume he'll ease up this week. They'll most certainly be very focused for our game.

52 minutes gone: Rower 1-6 Kilnadeema 1-6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

AIB Intermediate Final

Rower Inistioge 1-16 Kilnadeema 1-9 (AET)

well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Great second half of extra time. Terrible first half. So delighted they won and that Paul Sheehan got four points!

Hawk eye used as well!

Great win! Here's to doing well at senior level!

Congrats to the Rower Inistioge. A beautiful area in Kilkenny and a great win today. Delighted for them and in particular Kieran Joyce who's turned out to be a great leader and hurler. Looking forward to watching him progress further with the county team this year.

Congrats to the Rower/Inistiogue, well done lads. Great to see them building on the great year they had last year, they should be a good addition to the senior championship this year.

Also great to see another AI title coming back to Kilkenny, that's 19 club AI titles now in total for us across the three grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Kilkenny had their press day yesterday so a few stories in the indo today:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cody-backs-kilkenny-legend-kehers-campaign-to-abandon-use-of-cards-29996990.html

Eddie leading a campaign to revert to the old system of taking names rather than cards. Personally I prefer the cards as it is clearer for the fans albeit I think the refs are a bit card happy these days.

And Brian was very honest about us last year and is really talking us down:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cody-backs-kilkenny-legend-kehers-campaign-to-abandon-use-of-cards-29996990.html

And last but not least Tommy on Henry and the pace:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/walsh-i-never-had-any-doubts-about-return-of-shefflin-29996966.html

You get the feeling that Cody has the team primed for the league. Hope we don't peak too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

This issue with the cards is a joke tbh. I think all the KK team should avoid talking about it in the media. It is much handier to have the card system in place as it is much clearer for the fans.
    I wouldn't listen too much to what Eddie Keher has to say anyway - given the way he carries on at matches these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pa Dillon

1984baby wrote: »
    This issue with the cards is a joke tbh. I think all the KK team should avoid talking about it in the media. It is much handier to have the card system in place as it is much clearer for the fans.
    I wouldn't listen too much to what Eddie Keher has to say anyway - given the way he carries on at matches these days.

What way does Eddie Keher carrie on at matches , people forget it was Christy Rings son put this motion forward first through Glen rovers club Cork.

Can you elaborate? :confused:

This article appeared in the Irish Examiner on Jan 28th this year. As you will note from it the Rebels were ahead of the rest of the Country, as usual! I listened to Brian Cody's interview. I got the impression that he was in fact more interested in the possibility of the introduction of the black card system into hurling. He mentioned that Eddie Keher's proposal regarding red/yellow cards was worth looking at. Not unsurprisingly anti Cody/KK folk want to read something else into Cody's comments, not for the first time. Cyril Farrell supported Cody when interviewed on radio yesterday. The President Liam O'Neill emphatically contradicted the spin being put on the issue when he was interviewed on RTE y'day afternoon. He welcomed the debate and in fact is calling a meeting to discuss the whole issue in two weeks time. When it was suggested to him that Cody was endorsing Keher's proposal O'Neill said that that wasn't what he picked up from the interview. Nor did any decent hurling people.

As a Kilkenny supporter I have felt very let down by our County Board in relation to their silence on the treatment of our hurlers. It has been going on for too long and got totally out of hand in the last year or so. We all know about the injuries inflicted on some of the players. The treatment of Henry was deplorable last year. We did mange to have the red card rescinded but a lot of other stuff went on in that game that should have been investigated. I appreciate that circumstances resulted in the County Board having to show consideration at the time. They are to be complimented for this. However, six months on we could not start into another campaign without making some kind of reference to how some officials conducted themselves last year. In fact what Cody did say was too mild in my books.

Ex Irish Examiner -
    Five years ago, Glen Rovers’ Christy Ring Jnr’s motion received two-third majority support at Cork’s convention, but was ruled out of order at Congress as the original wording was altered.

As 2015 is a playing rules year, Ring Jnr has confirmed he will again be putting forward the motion, having been buoyed by Kilkenny legend Eddie Keher’s support for the eradication of cards from the game.

Keher recently delivered a document to GAA president Liam O’Neill outlining his opposition to the cards system and proposal to return to the pre-1999 mechanism of tickings and sendings off.

Much in line with Keher’s thinking, Ring Jnr believes cards have contributed to bad judgement calls by referees. He is concerned at how some genuine attempts to play the ball have been upgraded as fouls in the rulebook. Where once a mistimed shoulder charge was a technical offence meriting a free puck, it is now deemed rough play.

He argues a free is a greater penalty in hurling than in football — “This is due to the greater scoring range in hurling and a player is less likely to commit a deliberate foul, notwithstanding the card system.”

Ring Jnr doesn’t believe the rules that currently govern the game reflect it. “The skills of football are not penalised. Nobody would penalise you for kicking or catching the ball. The use of the hurley is an art and it comes down to split second timing. Pulling and doubling of the ball is a skill yet it can be considered a yellow card if it’s late and that’s down to the pressure being put on referees.

“The basic skills of the game have been outlawed. In my opinion, cards were the worst thing that came into Gaelic games.”

Ring Jnr also feels cards, particularly yellow, have held up the free-flowing spectacle of hurling. “The situation is being exploited by players falling down and feigning injury as a method to get frees and opponents booked. The phenomenon is even being adopted by certain teams. This was never part of the culture of Gaelic games.”

Those comments about Keher better be true! Mind you he sounds like most fanatical fans! If it's true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Firstly, I'm a fanatic KK supporter - go to all the games.
    I had the displeasure of sitting near Eddie at a few games over the years.
    His carry on is ridiculous. From the minute the ball is thrown in, he is roaring abuse at the ref, opposing players etc... He started calling a rival female supporter a b***h and c**t after a dispute over a 50/50 decision on the pitch.
    Another game he had his grandson, I think, who spent the whole game crying while Eddie went mad for the whole game.
    He seems very nice and calm when on the radio or on TV. I've came across him a few times over the years at different functions and found him fine but after the few times I've sat near him at games - I've lost all respect for him.
    Not just my opinion by the way, I have heard the same from many other KK supporters over the years
    Had the pleasure of sitting behind Eddie at a Leinster Final a couple of years ago and found him to be a pure gentleman to all the KK and Dublin fans around us on that particular day.

Grats wrote: »
    Those comments about Keher better be true! Mind you he sounds like most fanatical fans! If it's true!

100% true.
    They were games against Cork and Tipp - maybe he's calmer against the other teams!!
    Couldn't believe it when I turned around and saw that it was him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Charlie69

100% true.
    They were games against Cork and Tipp - maybe he's calmer against the other teams!!
    Couldn't believe it when I turned around and saw that it was him tbh.
    Are you sure it was him? Doesn't sound like Eddie Keher to me, he was one of the greatest hurlers of all time who considering the punishment he shipped during an era when there was hardly a whistle never mind a yellow or red card, was always a fair and sporting player who was magnanimous in victory or defeat, so hard to imagine him being anything else off the field.

To be honest IMO to speak of one of our greatest hurlers and one of Kilkenny hurling's finest ambassadors over the years is disrespectful and unnecessary.

Is it true there was damage done to the Old Stand by the wind today? I haven't been over that side of town so I can't see for myself, so is there any truth to the rumour?

randd1 wrote: »
    Is it true there was damage done to the Old Stand by the wind today? I haven't been over that side of town so I can't see for myself, so is there any truth to the rumour?

Yup. From the Kilkenny People:
    All roads around Nowlan Park are closed due to wind damage to roof of Nowlan Park.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Are you sure it was him? Doesn't sound like Eddie Keher to me, he was one of the greatest hurlers of all time who considering the punishment he shipped during an era when there was hardly a whistle never mind a yellow or red card, was always a fair and sporting player who was magnanimous in victory or defeat, so hard to imagine him being anything else off the field.

To be honest IMO to speak of one of our greatest hurlers and one of Kilkenny hurling's finest ambassadors over the years is disrespectful and unnecessary.

He's entitled to voice his opinions and experiences though.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

He's entitled to voice his opinions and experiences though.

And nearly slander and libel man too is he allowed?

It is utter rubbish!

I would advise ye to take those comments down!

Grats wrote: »

Utter rubbish!

pa Dillon wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of sitting beside him at u21 all Ireland v Tipperary eoin Kelly was in front of us a lot more tipp fans he was actually having great banter with eoin Kelly about free taking.

That is the true Eddie Keher!

• Advertisement

Yup. From the Kilkenny People:

Hope they get it fixed up so we can go ahead with our home fixtures in the league.
    Although, if they have to close the Old Stand, there should be enough room spectators for all of our home games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement