Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

@tbiggertycome
    thanks for the report on how the lads did, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Second that, big thanks to everyone who was there and reported back

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

The Walsh Cup Semi Final is on Sunday 26th Jan 2014 in Freshford at 2pm.

Kilkenny Vs Galway.

Should be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Ticket prices for league games have been cut from €13 to €10 as long as they are bought before match day

deadybai wrote: »
    Ticket prices for league games have been cut from €13 to €10 as long as they are bought before match day

Great, I look forward to the refund to season ticket holders, who effectively purchased their league tickets earlier than anyone, to reflect this new and welcome reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

Great value, and much kudos to the GAA on this one. Great idea and incentive to get people going to the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Grats

Great, I look forward to the refund to season ticket holders, who effectively purchased their league tickets earlier than anyone, to reflect this new and welcome reduction.

Yes indeed. And don't forget that the football season ticket costs the same as the hurling one although there are more games to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

It'll be interesting to see the line-up on Sunday. I know Cody generally has almost all new or fringe panel players for the first game and then gradually works the regulars back in game after game. Wouldn't get too excited by performances against DIT, but curious to see who's performances have earned themselves another couple of starts before the league. (Which will probably be judged more in training than anywhere else)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

I think a few e-mails to HQ might be in order!

I think a few e-mails to HQ might be in order!

I was just thinking the same thing. It is, genuinely, a welcome change, but it's a little cynical to continue to charge season ticket holders the same as before. They presumably didn't decide this yesterday. The more loyal you are, the less they need to really cater to you, since you'll pay anyway.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking the same thing. It is, genuinely, a welcome change, but it's a little cynical to continue to charge season ticket holders the same as before. They presumably didn't decide this yesterday. The more loyal you are, the less they need to really cater to you, since you'll pay anyway.

What does the season ticket work out as per game? If it's still less, they'll use that to dismiss any criticism.

True, just like when the price wasn't reduced for the new format of 5 guaranteed league matches from 7. Disappointing to think that they're taking advantage of loyalty. They even call me "a chara" godammit!

What does the season ticket work out as per game? If it's still less, they'll use that to dismiss any criticism.

It's variable really depending on qualification to next round etc. However, no change in price to these and a reduction to normal tickets still translates to a pro-rata increase.

It's getting close to being very bad value. 85 for the season ticket. That's more than it cost when you had seven league games, now we have five. Now most season ticket holders will attend most games in the league but I would say most will miss at least one of the away games, which obviously other fans don't have to pay for anyway, so being extremely generous, we'll say 50 for the league. The latter rounds ate included but we may or may not be in them so I'll exclude it. First round of championship is included in the price. Last year that was 20. So that is, generously, 70 quid. You get 5 off for later rounds. So unless we play three championship games you wouldn't be breaking even, let alone being rewarded for your loyalty. If we finish higher than fourth in the league and/or get a bit of a run in the championship you might save about twenty quid or so. Not sure how much you would value that. If you miss a league game that saving is gone.

I'm effect, they've devalued the season ticket, from a once fantastic idea, to a way of guaranteeing money from loyal fans without really having to offer anything in return.

They'll probably mention access to the club all Ireland final, and the league final, but I wouldn't attend those unless Kilkenny teams were in them so I think of those as bonuses rather than things that should count towards its intrinsic value.

It's getting close to being very bad value. 85 for the season ticket. That's more than it cost when you had seven league games, now we have five. Now most season ticket holders will attend most games in the league but I would say most will miss at least one of the away games, which obviously other fans don't have to pay for anyway, so being extremely generous, we'll say 50 for the league. The latter rounds ate included but we may or may not be in them so I'll exclude it. First round of championship is included in the price. Last year that was 20. So that is, generously, 70 quid. You get 5 off for later rounds. So unless we play three championship games you wouldn't be breaking even, let alone being rewarded for your loyalty. If we finish higher than fourth in the league and/or get a bit of a run in the championship you might save about twenty quid or so. Not sure how much you would value that. If you miss a league game that saving is gone.

I'm effect, they've devalued the season ticket, from a once fantastic idea, to a way of guaranteeing money from loyal fans without really having to offer anything in return.

They'll probably mention access to the club all Ireland final, and the league final, but I wouldn't attend those unless Kilkenny teams were in them so I think of those as bonuses rather than things that should count towards its intrinsic value.

So basically you need to attend 9 games for it to be better value than purchasing individual game tickets ahead of time, and even then you only save 5Euro. But at most Kilkenny would have 7 games......even with the Club AI included you can't make your money back.

Their big problem obviously lies in not seperating the football and hurling season tickets.....different formats and numbers of games makes it a no-brainer.....but it is the GAA we're dealing with.

KK V Galway

1. Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2. Shane Prendergast Clara
    3. Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    4. Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    5. Joey Holden Ballyhale Shamrocks
    6. Brian Hogan O'Loughlin Gaels
    7. Paul Murphy Danesfort
    8. Aidan Fogarty Emeralds
    9. Paraic Phelan Emeralds
    10. Henry Shefflin Ballyhale Shamrocks
    11. Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    12. Eoin Larkin James Stephens
    13. Jonjo Farrell Thomastown
    14. Mark Kelly O'Loughlin Gaels
    15. Liam Ryan Clara

KK V Galway

1. Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2. Shane Prendergast Clara
    3. Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    4. Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    5. Joey Holden Ballyhale Shamrocks
    6. Brian Hogan O'Loughlin Gaels
    7. Paul Murphy Danesfort
    8. Aidan Fogarty Emeralds
    9. Paraic Phelan Emeralds
    10. Henry Shefflin Ballyhale Shamrocks
    11. Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    12. Eoin Larkin James Stephens
    13. Jonjo Farrell Thomastown
    14. Mark Kelly O'Loughlin Gaels
    15. Liam Ryan Clara

Great to see that the king is back. thats a great squad. is the Galway team announced?

is the Galway team announced?

No sign of any team yet on the Galway GAA website.
    The only news they have on their Twitter account is that King Henry is starting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

KK V Galway

1. Eoin Murphy - Glenmore
    2. Shane Prendergast - Clara
    3. Michael Walsh - Young Irelands
    4. Conor Fogarty - Erins Own
    5. Joey Holden - Ballyhale Shamrocks
    6. Brian Hogan - O'Loughlin Gaels
    7. Paul Murphy - Danesfort
    8. Aidan Fogarty - Emeralds
    9. Paraic Phelan - Emeralds
    10. Henry Shefflin - Ballyhale Shamrocks
    11. Colin Fennelly - Ballyhale Shamrocks
    12. Eoin Larkin - James Stephens
    13. Jonjo Farrell - Thomastown
    14. Mark Kelly - O'Loughlin Gaels
    15. Liam Ryan - Clara

I'm very interested to see how the guys in bold go against Galway.

By all accounts, all were very good against DIT, but this is a step up in class so it will be interesting to see if they can make that step. I think the guys in the backs will be particularly important, as they may be seen as prospects for the future when the likes of Tommy, JJ and Jackie move on. Shane Pender and Holden have had great club seasons the last few years, and could potentially be top county men.
    Up front, I know Kelly has had a few chances now since he joined the panel a few years ago but never really carried his club form forward so its a make or break year for him. Farrell and Ryan are good young players and are well worth a look.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the players who are underlined are down to start, I honestly think all four could do with an more extended winter break, especially Fogarty, Larkin and Hogan, while Murphy was the best defender in the country last year, he did have his injuries too.

I know a lot of people reckon Henry shouldn't be playing until later in the year, but I can get why Shefflin is down to start, its better to ease him into inter-county hurling during a pre-season tournament fully-fit than in an AI quarter final half-fit.
    I also get why he's starting Colin Fennelly instead of resting him, as I reckon Colin needs as much hurling as is possible to improve his touch and confidence for the year ahead, we're going to need him to have both up to speed as I fell a player with his pace will be important this year.
    Good to Eoin Murphy stay in goal, I reckon he could be a serious long time asset in goal, good to see him retain the no.1 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Full time: Kilkenny 1-24 Galway 0-15

It's Dublin in the Final.

Galway's Darragh Burke sent off for a wild pull on Eoin Larkin.

Full time: Rower Inistioge (Kilkenny) 1-14 Clooney Gaels (Antrim) 0-7

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »
    Full time: Kilkenny 1-24 Galway 0-15

It's Dublin in the Final.

Galway's Darragh Burke sent off for a wild pull on Eoin Larkin.

Full time: Rower Inistioge (Kilkenny) 1-14 Clooney Gaels (Antrim) 0-7
    Wasn't at this as I was playing a game up in Dublin but heard Larkin might be badly injured, broken elbow is feared. Anyone confirm?

KK really took advantage of having the wind in the 2nd half. Galway only managed 3 points against the wind. I'm looking forward to hear of any reports from people at the match. I hope Larky is ok. Another match and another win for the lads. Should be a good competitive final against Dublin.

Also, well done to The Rower!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Wasn't at this as I was playing a game up in Dublin but heard Larkin might be badly injured, broken elbow is feared. Anyone confirm?

Heard the doctor tell Cody it was his elbow alright but he didn't know how bad it was.

Decent game considering the conditions thought Paul Murphy was the stand out performer for me especially in the first half. Henry looked solid, he only scored one from play but his vision and passing was superb.
    Jon Joe Farrell looked very lively up front and his first touch was excellent.
    Colin fennelly got the only goal but his work rate was top class.

it was a great game is right for the conditions. That pull on Eoin Larkin was vicious and looked deliberate. It was disgraceful really. Henry was absolutely superb today. His touch, skill , vision and above all free taking was fantastic. Also Paul Murphy. Jeanie mac what a player. Definitely backing him to be hurler of the year 2014. Every time I see him I'm very impressed. I have to say the whole Kilkenny team was brilliant today. They looked alot sharper then Waterford when I seen them against UL in Carriganore 2 week ago. Our defense was top class today. To only conceded 3 points after half time is some achievement. Im looking forward for the game against Dublin.

Does anyone know the venue yet?

Parnell Park next Sunday.

Thought Galway came with a hard man attitude, hence the number of yellow cards they picked up. Not to mention that blow on Larkin. The game was well gone from Galway at that stage, therefore all the mire crazy.

It seems to me that some teams feel they have a licence to hock Kilkenny players. We've witnessed far too much of this in recent years. I do hope the officials take appropriate action in 2014. Or will it be a case of they're, Kilkenny, are not gone yet so let's speed up the process!

Henry was immaculate today. Colin Fennelly or Paul Murphy man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

Did Bourke get a straight red or two yellows??? People are going to say we have started the the crying already thinking people are out to get us and all that. Refereeing decisions are one thing but total disregard for players welfare and health are something that should be given court sentences in our game in an order to cut it out for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Philip82 wrote: »
    Did Bourke get a straight red or two yellows??? People are going to say we have started the the crying already thinking people are out to get us and all that. Refereeing decisions are one thing but total disregard for players welfare and health are something that should be given court sentences in our game in an order to cut it out for good.

Straight red. looked and sounded very bad, I hope Eoin is ok.

Straight red.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

wrote:
    . Did Bourke get a straight red or two yellows??? People are going to say we have started the the crying already thinking people are out to get us and all that. Refereeing decisions are one thing but total disregard for players welfare and health are something that should be given court sentences in our game in an order to cut it out for good.

Am a galway man but just wanted to pop in to see what people were saying about the match today. Some decent hurling by all accounts but I didn't get down to it.

Before it kicks off about gakway out to get the kk lads darragh Burke is normally v fair but tough - dad was saying that red card was harsh - Burke had ball in hand and dropped it to connect low to avoid a block and after hitting ball the swing hit Eoin larkin. If you watch darragh play you will know that is a common swing he uses to avoid a block.

Hope eoin larkin is ok and bounces back.

• Advertisement

Just heard now that the Final is in Croke Park next Sat at 5pm. Followed by Dublin v Kerry football league game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement