Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Will there be any bodies back for the next league match? We play Galway in the next league match in Pearse stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ole ole

richie power hopefully, padraig walsh needs to go back half back, kennedy would be out of his depth at under 14 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ole ole wrote: »
    barry kelly is our biggest threat to the all ireland.

Ah in fairness if you watched today and decided referees are our biggest problem? We were bet on every line of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Not too down about the result today. After last week though, very surprised at the performance and how flat we were, especially in the first half. We were playing against a stiff breeze but the lack of scoring was telling. Our failure to take scores heaped the pressure on our backs and I thought Keogh, Jackie and Kennedy struggled for the entire half. Buckley had a better game this week and I thought had the measure of Sutcliff when switched. Up to the sending off, the forwards were creating plenty but not converting. At one man down, the forwards were numerically inferior and I think struggled subsequently. At two men down, the game was effectively over and I think the Dubs knew it and took the foot off the pedal. We got a couple of scrappy goals after that which we probably wouldn't have scored in a closer game.
    Wouldn't think Cody will make wholesale changes on foot of this result. Think this group deserve the chance to redeem themselves. Hopefully the ref will see sense and rescind the red handed to Farrell. If not Farrell will pay a heavy price in games for having done SFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

richie power hopefully, padraig walsh needs to go back half back, kennedy would be out of his depth at under 14 level.

I think you've had your spake about Kennedy now, maybe you could go easy on the personal stuff

• Advertisement

lets call a spade a spade,he was drowning he was so far out of his depth and lets face it,its not the first time is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

lets call a spade a spade,he was drowning he was so far out of his depth and lets face it,its not the first time is it?

Look, I know he didn't have a good game, marking an exceptional player but I just think labelling him 'possibly the worst defender' Kilkenny have ever had and stating he must be dropped from the panel etc. is a bit much.

I just think if we as supporters of Kilkenny are to criticise the performance of our players we should keep in mind the fact that they are giving it their all, and the criticism can be made without being too personal or disparaging

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

To be quite honest I find those comments about Kennedy disgraceful. He is still young and giving his best out there and is in not out of his depth. He's had 2 games where he's struggled, but he had a solid year last year. He was one of the highly rated backs coming up through the age groups, and that wasn't for no reason. Give him time. To just jump on his back like that shows an incredible lack of patience and understanding

He was dropped last year because he got destroyed thats why, and 2 games in this year and 2 more roastings,how many chances do you think he should get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Brian Kennedy is an excellent hurler, sure he struggled on Sutcliffe today, no shame in that, Tommy Walsh always struggled with Danny.
    Give the chap a chance, its not as easy as it looks, I believe Brian will be Kilkenny regular for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Junior D wrote: »
    To be quite honest I find those comments about Kennedy disgraceful. He is still young and giving his best out there and is in not out of his depth. He's had 2 games where he's struggled, but he had a solid year last year. He was one of the highly rated backs coming up through the age groups, and that wasn't for no reason. Give him time. To just jump on his back like that shows an incredible lack of patience and understanding

I have to agree with u there. I havnt seen the game. As am out of the country. Only going on what's said here. And I'm not liking it. Like what's said above, I think the comments about Kennedy are disgraceful. Dublin are obviously training hard. Prob well ahead of other teams this time of yr.

lads ye are on a differant planet if ye think this lad is kk standard.Im not only judging him on todays pathetic display but on lots of other ones as well, why say any differant? he is not good enough,thats not an attack on him its just a fact thats as clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

lads ye are on a differant planet if ye think this lad is kk standard.Im not only judging him on todays pathetic display but on lots of other ones as well, why say any differant? he is not good enough,thats not an attack on him its just a fact thats as clear as day.

Danny sutcliffe gives every player he comes up against a hard time. One of the top forwards in the country with a few yrs. I dont see why u can come on and slate Kennedy like that. I always thought he has lots to offer. Give the guy a chance ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charlie69

It's not a fact, it's just your opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Thankfully Mr Cody doesn't rule out our young talent like some on here, kennedy was poor today but i wouldnt rule him out yet. Ref was a disgrace on the first sending off, thought jonjo was looking lively until that point. Kilkenny looked off the pace but not only are we down a few we ate a good fews weeks behind other teams.

When you consider that is dublins full team at full tilt I wouldnt be panicking just yet when you consider the firepower we are missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

It wasn't a red card on Farrell, but I can see why the ref gave it. On some angles it did look like a dirty strike. It 100% wasn't a dirty stroke or a red, but I'll give the ref a chance to rescind it and admit he got the call wrong before jumping on him.

Kilkenny were second best today unfortunately. They just didn't look like they knew what they were doing. Kennedy was poor, but some of the comments about him here are way too harsh. He's 22, Jackie looked worse at that age and he even said he was far from the standard himself. To criticise Kennedy for a poor game against Danny Sutcliffe is like saying Bonner Maher didn't deserve an All-Star because he was marked out of it in one game by one of the best man markers in the game in Joyce.

Positives, no goals conceded, Matty Ruth put in a good shift, and we only lost by 5. The scoreline flatters us, granted, but once Lyng went it was damage limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

To be fair there's only one poster being too harsh on Kennedy. He was bad but the only back I was at all happy with was Buckley, and that was only once he switched onto Sutcliffe. So singling out Kennedy is missing the point. Not to mention the forwards were even worse, certainly Kennedy had a better game than Mark Kelly, for example, Padraig Walsh was well marshalled by Keaney, Walter struggled, jonjo did ok until the card but hardly set the world alight. There was nobody very good except Richie Hogan, imo, so insulting Kennedy for his performance is definitely harsh but I think most posters recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

I think Brian Codys ability to spot a diamond in the rough is one of the reasons kilkenny have been so successful over the last 15 years. He has brought players onto the panel over the years who were virtually unknowns and may have surprised quite a few by getting the call but went on to establish themselves and have careers that are the envy of hurlers all over the country for example Eddie Brennan, Derek Lyng, Aidan Fogarty, Jackie tyrell, eoin larkin, mick kavanagh, jj Delaney, Brian Hogan etc. These tough games won't do Kennedy any harm. He will take more from them than easy games where he hurls well

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

barry kelly is our biggest threat to the all ireland.

Ha this is some quote, I feel sorry for you if you actually believe this

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

randd1 wrote: »
    Because it was a Cork ref. Them southerners have it in for us big time because we took hurling from tippy tappy **** to actually hurling using all the ranges of skill available, they just can't seem to get over the fact we destroyed their running game. They don't like physicality in hurling, so give out cards from confetti. It's why their club scene is so bereft of real cut, and why they've fallen so far back. Unfortunately the likes of Donal Og will push for this type of reffing, and we'll just have to adjust.

Expect more terrible red cards across the hurling scene this year.
    Is that you Eddie keher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Its worth noting as well that this was Dublins third week in a row playing with the Walsh Cup final vs Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Eoin Murphy again didn't look as assured as he normally does
    Tomas Keogh took an early knock and struggled a bit, carries to ball to much instead of moving the ball to safety
    Paul Murphy has done better than I expected actually, bit worried if he misses the ball when he attacks it so vigorously that it will lead to goal chances but I think he could adapt well
    Jackie will need a bit of work to get the sharpness back but I would have no fear of him and think he will have a good year
    Brian Kennedy struggled a bit and his confidence seems low, looks like a guy worried that Cody doesn't have faith in him, we need to stick with him though as he has loads of hurling
    Joyce looked slow on the turn and wasn't as dominant as he can be
    Buckley had a great game I thought could be a good option at centre back also
    Lester and Geoff Brennan made very little impression on the game for me
    Padraig Walsh is definitely more comfortable at half back and offers so much more in terms of sweeping up ball there
    Walter really struggled again with Kelly offering a bog threat for Dublin
    Matty Ruth worked hard and took his goals well
    Kelly didn't get a massive amount of ball and was under pressure due to the extra defender but is always a willing runner
    Farrell seemed to be winning a lot of ball again and looked sharp, hopefully the referee will do the right thing and rescind the red card
    Hogan was well marshalled and couldn't cause as much damage as normal

Only the Dubs on 4 points now and they were full value for their win, more firepower needed for Galway in two weeks and a win will be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭randd1

Is that you Eddie keher?

No, I'm just concerned that Cork refs will ref inter county games like the Cork hurling championship. Considering the state of that championship...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ellisbaxter

Well done to Dublin, came with a clear idea, a good team and did the job

At 15 v 15, we were not motoring because (1) Dublin were tight and tigerish (2) they are fitter and have played more games with players settling in new positions ( Carton, Kelly) and (3) regardless of ability, new players/ panel members will struggle to get to the pitch of playing particularly when other established key team members are absent (not an excuse, Dublin looked to have the right system and the skill and physicality to execute it)

We lost to Dublin last year in Parnell Park and still progressed to and winning a league final

Absolute mean spirited and nasty comments about Kilkenny players by someone who claims to be a Kilkenny supporter have rightly been condemned for what they are- ignorant and cowardly and display a total lack of knowledge of how Kilkenny operate since Brian Cody took the job and ignorance about how players develop in different ways. There is a value to a black and amber shirt that far out weighs winning league games in February.

We may well get to a quarter final and in doing so, more will be learned than lost. But every player on that panel today meets the basic requirement to be a player on a Kilkenny panel and if they didn't then they would not be on it in the first place.

Any team or group will struggle when so many key elements are missing, be they injured, retired or with clubs. Despite a few deluded souls who appear to genuinely believe that all Kilkenny need do is to turn up and a game is won, we are actually in a transition that goes beyond injured missing or retired players.

Two tough away games coming up. I hope that every player who started yesterday starts v Galway. There is only one way to learn and that's to be in the middle of it, in the thick of it.

brian kennedy had an outstanding game,the new tommy walsh without a doubt,does that make the marys on here feel better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Hitchens

if Dublin meet ourselves or Tipp in the League Final will they have it as easy? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I'm sure Dublin have more training done,kilkenny had team holiday and postponed games

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

brian kennedy had an outstanding game,the new tommy walsh without a doubt,does that make the marys on here feel better?

Kilkenny hurling needs keyboard warriors like you like it needs a hole in the head. Brian Kennedy was an outstanding Minor on the 2010 All- Ireland winning team, he was an Under-21 All-Star in 2013 and at the moment he is struggling to make the step up from underage and Intermediate club to Senior inter-county. But he is only 22 years of age and still has huge potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

I always liked to think that 'turning on one of your own' with such venom and personal insults was a trait of some of our near neighbours, I thought KK fans were better than that, especially with all the 'diamonds in the rough' that cody has unearthed over the years.

Honestly, I would have fancied Kilkenny if Jonjo hadnt have been sent off, but we'll never know. There was no test for the dublin backs after that. With Paul Murphy at Full back we really have to unearth a new top quality corner back and it's not looking obvious yet as to where that player is going to come from.

Discipline is going to have to be one of KK's biggest attributes going forward, we obviously havent a clue on how to use the ball well when a man (or 2!) down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

ttowncat wrote: »

Discipline is going to have to be one of KK's biggest attributes going forward,

You'll have to elaborate on this discipline issue for me please. On the Dublin game, I think it's universally accepted that JJ's card was a joke - if anything he was being fouled. I would put Lyng's card down to a desire to win a ball for which he was way late and that's how it looked to me at the time - it was right in front of me. If you think KK have a discipline issue I presume you have the facts to back this up. Plenty of posters have come on here making similar accusations but were unable to back up those slurs with facts when called upon.

ttowncat wrote: »

we obviously havent a clue on how to use the ball well when a man (or 2!) down.

This is a predicament the solution to which has evaded inter county managers like Sheedy, Cunningham and Cody in recent times. I didn't realise that it had finally been cracked. I wait for all to be revealed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement