Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Fantastic result that takes a bit of pressure off next Sunday.
    Anyone know how long Larkin and the powers will be out. Interesting that Cody only made one sub , for injury, through the whole game so suspect we need a few more available to get us through the next month till we get some shamrocks back
    Anyone else due to come back in ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Anyone know what happened to Grats and pmy murphy? Were always regular informative posters who I havent seen them on here in a long while

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Miall108 wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to Grats and pmy murphy? Were always regular informative posters who I havent seen them on here in a long while

Well pmy.murphy was posting as recently as last night in the soccer forum :pac:

And Grats last posted on Boards about a month ago.

I'm sure the two lads will be back posting in this thread soon enough. 'Tis only the start of the season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think This was a great performance and one I hoped for but didn't expect if I was honest. We could and should have won by a lot more in the end the first Cork goal was a blatant square ball and there were a few strange calls when Kilkenny were well ahead like Padraig Walsh getting closelined on the side line and a free out was given.

Individually my rating
    Murphy-5 puckouts were good but was at fault for both goals.
    Keogh-7 a solid performance for one of his first starts
    Murphy-6 hadn't much to do for a lot of the game and kind of lost his way in the end. He could have done more to stop the first goal by holding his man off and should have got rid of the ball twice before he was caught at the end.
    Tyrrell- 7 solid struggled for the first few balls but dominated there after.
    Kennedy-7 was a decent and rarely got to exposed
    Joyce-8 was very strong and really dominated the half back line and scored a monster point.
    Buckley-6 only giving him a 6 cause I only saw him less then a handful of times on the ball.
    Lester-7 solid and did what was needed and has improved his distribution
    Fogarty-7 wasn't really on long enough to grade properly but I was impressed with what I saw
    P Walsh-7 plenty of work rate that reaped lots of good
    W Walsh-9 best display from Wally in a long time scoring 1-3
    Ruth-7 solid display and far better than we've seen from him in a long time.
    Kelly-8 a great display didn't score as much as he could but really put himself around
    Farrell-7 was very effective in the first half and drifted out of it a bit in the second half
    Hogan-10 SUBLIME
    Brennan-8 a strong performance and really got stuck into it when he came on and made a good impact.

We have a bit of work to do at the back but I have fate in those involved to sort out their game. I would love to see Eoin Murphy out the field personally I think he's very impressive outfield but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Congrats to Bennettsbridge on winning the Junior Club All Ireland on Sunday,managed by Kerry legend Christy Walsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Congrats to Bennettsbridge on winning the Junior Club All Ireland on Sunday,managed by Kerry legend Christy Walsh.

There was a very noticeable gulf in class and Bennettsbridge had the game won after 10 minutes. Is there an imbalance in the way the preliminary games are organised? resulting in a weak team getting through to the final, although I think Fullen Gaels beat the Waterford club champions, who beat the Cork representatives, so where does that leave them.

From these results, it looks like the junior grade is of a very high standard in Kilkenny, and maybe goes some way to explaining the very one-sided aspect of the hurling in this Junior Hurling Club Final.

Again congratulations to Bennettsbridge and we all wish them well in the Intermediate grade over the next year or two.

A proud Kilkenny hurling club, and great to see them back in the limelight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Well pmy.murphy was posting as recently as last night in the soccer forum :pac:

And Grats last posted on Boards about a month ago.

I'm sure the two lads will be back posting in this thread soon enough. 'Tis only the start of the season :)

I'd say pmy.murphy is taking a badly needed break from the hurling. He must be exhausted from last year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

There was a very noticeable gulf in class and Bennettsbridge had the game won after 10 minutes. Is there an imbalance in the way the preliminary games are organised? resulting in a weak team getting through to the final, although I think Fullen Gaels beat Waterford, who beat Cork, so where does that leave them.

From these results, it looks like the junior grade is of a very high standard in Kilkenny, any maybe goes some way to explaining the very one-sided aspect of the hurling in this Junior Hurling Club Final.

Again congratulations to Bennettsbridge and we all wish them well in the Intermediate grade over the next year or two.

A proud Kilkenny hurling club, and great to see them back in the limelight again.
    Kilkenny and Cork clubs tend to be the strongest at junior level, and intermediate too, but to a lesser extent.

The main reason why the Kilkenny clubs do so well compared to other counties is because the Kilkenny club scene is very strong at all levels in comparison to other counties. I reckon myself it's partly because in other counties a lot of the Intermediate/Junior clubs play football. Either way the AI's keep coming back to Kilkenny, and that's fine by me.

Interesting too that both British clubs in Croke Park on Sunday had a fair smattering of lads from Kilkenny. It could be that we it's produce good club players, which is the actual stated goal of the development squads

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That new Kilkenny jersey: No collar and narrower stripes. Last time they tried a revamp as radical as this was 1976 — and Wexford beat them by 17 points in the Leinster final. No good can come of this.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Good man Richie. Good start to the year...

http://t.co/nFV87O6Ukx

• Advertisement

I heard on the radio this morning that a scan has revealed a fracture to Conor Fogarty’s ankle. He came off injured against Cork. He'll miss the rest of the league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I heard on the radio this morning that a scan has revealed a fracture to Conor Fogarty’s ankle. He came off injured against Cork. He'll miss the rest of the league campaign.

An off the ball pull by Paudie O'Sullivan when he was lying on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

That's not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lads how good is Conor Martin and what age is he. There was an article in the IrishExaminer I think, highlighting 15 young players to watch out for in 2015. Not one from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

He is 20, will be 21 this year. Thought he was the best forward on a poor Minor team in '12. Has been involved with the under 21's for the last two years. Saw him play with UL against NUIG a few weeks ago and to be honest i was a bit disappointed with his contribution but in his defense with Tony Kelly and Jason Forde pretty much dominating proceeedings it was hard for the rest of the UL forwards to get involved.
    However with Kelly injured yesterday and Forde at centre back according to the match reports he seemed to be a lot more involved yesterday and scored 3 points from play. It will be interesting to see how the Fitzgibbon pans out but he is definitely someone worth keeping a eye out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kilkenny v Dublin Allianz Hurling League Round 2

Eoin Murphy
    Tomás Keogh
    Paul Murphy
    Jackie Tyrrell
    Brian Kennedy
    Kieran Joyce
    Cillian Buckley
    Geoff Brennan
    Lester Ryan
    Padraig Walsh
    Walter Walsh
    Mathew Ruth
    Mark Kelly
    Jonjo Farrell
    Richie Hogan

SUBS
    Darren Brennan St Lachtains
    Willie Phelan Dunnamaggin
    Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    Shane Prendergast Clara
    Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Padraig Gahan Mullinavat
    Bill Staunton St Patricks
    Ger Malone Mullinavat
    Keith Hogan Clara
    Kevin Kelly St Patricks
    John Power Carrickshock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Martin looked very good v UCD midweek from what I saw of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Same team again.

Same team again.

Apart from Geoff Brennan replacing the injured Conor Fogarty.

Apart from Geoff Brennan replacing the injured Conor Fogarty.

Will be interesting to see how Brennan goes. Physically he's tough, but has a bit of pace as well. The only things I would worry about is he has a tendency to dwell on the ball a bit, and isn't the greatest at striking the ball when going for a score.

That said, with Fogarty out and Fennelly away with Ballyhale, if he has said good league it would be a big boost for us come championship to have another player challenge for a midfield spot. Brennan has the attributes, whether he can apply them against the top sides is another thing though.

Personally, I don't think he'd be there unless he did his stuff in training, so I'm looking forward to see can he lay down a marker against what should be a strong Dublin challenge.

• Advertisement

Kieran's beat Good Counsel by a big score, 1-18 to 0-05.

They're in the final now, with a very strong side. They should win that.

If they win the final they should face St Francis, Rochestown of Cork, who were beaten by Thurles CBS in the Harty Cup today.

randd1 wrote: »
    Kieran's beat Good Counsel by a big score, 1-18 to 0-05.

They're in the final now, with a very strong side. They should win that.

If they win the final they should face St Francis, Rochestown of Cork, who were beaten by Thurles CBS in the Harty Cup today.

Are Kieran's as strong as last year?

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Are Kieran's as strong as last year?

Not sure, but was talking to one of the teachers from there and he's says they look good again this year. And I would definitely trust his judgement.

It must be said that Good Counsel aren't exactly world beaters, but Kieran's did a real number on the CBS as well in the QF.

They should win the final (don't know if its Borris VS or the other crowd). I think their first real test will come in the SF's against the winners of the Rochestown game. How they do in that will determine how strong they are.

In saying that, Kieran's have a fair smattering of the AI winning minors of last year, and other lads from various successful underage tournaments from last year.

I think Kieran's will win it out, with Thurles CBS likeliest to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Awful decision by the ref. Should have been a free in, not related to a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭The White Feather

That was one of the worst sendings off I have ever seen. There was nothing in it

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

That was one of the worst sendings off I have ever seen. There was nothing in it

What's was it actually for???? We've watched the replays and can't figure it out

Eoin Murphy very dodgy at the mo

I've watched the incident about 4 or 5 times now and I still can't figure out what the red card was for :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I've watched the incident about 4 or 5 times now and I still can't figure out what the red card was for :confused:

Me too. Still no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

That decision is not even funny.

There wasn't even a foul.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement