Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

citykat wrote: »
    You'll have to elaborate on this discipline issue for me please. On the Dublin game, I think it's universally accepted that JJ's card was a joke - if anything he was being fouled. I would put Lyng's card down to a desire to win a ball for which he was way late and that's how it looked to me at the time - it was right in front of me. If you think KK have a discipline issue I presume you have the facts to back this up. Plenty of posters have come on here making similar accusations but were unable to back up those slurs with facts when called upon.

This is a predicament the solution to which has evaded inter county managers like Sheedy, Cunningham and Cody in recent times. I didn't realise that it had finally been cracked. I wait for all to be revealed.
    What's with all the hostility?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What's with all the hostility?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

I for one don't think there is any discipline problem with the team and I don't think the poster was suggesting there was either. Surprised there has been no word of an appeal for the first red card as of yet.

Was just thinking of a few issues that lie ahead for Kilkenny:

1. Finding a quality corner back if Murphy plays full back which seems to be going well to be fair.
    2. Half back line of Padraig Walsh, Buckley, Joyce looks very solid with the option of Buckley to swap to the centre if the likes of Bonnar or Eamon Dillon exploit us for pace down the middle.
    3. Who plays midfield? Lester uses the ball intelligently but does not dominate.
    4. Happy enough with the fire power that is to come back in the forwards but what about in the mean time, do we have enough forwards to see us avoid relegation and through to the quarters.
    5. It is essential that we make the quarters as we need the games as we are a little behind in terms of game time and hurling.
    6. How does Cody get more out of Walter, he still seems to slip in and out of games, Is it worth trying him at full forward or is he suited better with space to run into?
    7. Will the likes of Kevin Kelly or Keith Hogan get any game time?

Pity we don't even have one of Eoin Larkin or Richie Power for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

citykat wrote: »
    You'll have to elaborate on this discipline issue for me please. On the Dublin game, I think it's universally accepted that JJ's card was a joke - if anything he was being fouled. I would put Lyng's card down to a desire to win a ball for which he was way late and that's how it looked to me at the time - it was right in front of me. If you think KK have a discipline issue I presume you have the facts to back this up. Plenty of posters have come on here making similar accusations but were unable to back up those slurs with facts when called upon.

Oh I just can't wait to use this line again whenever a KK player get's a crack in a future match!!

MfMan wrote: »
    Oh I just can't wait to use this line again whenever a KK player get's a crack in a future match!!

The Dublin player didn't get a crack. Lyng didn't touch him. Not sure what your point is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Hitchens

MfMan wrote: »
    an opposition player has never had to leave the pitch and miss game time because of an injury caused by a KK player ..........in my memory anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

The Dublin player didn't get a crack. Lyng didn't touch him. Not sure what your point is.

Holy Fcuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MajaDon

Take a closer look at the incident on TG4 player - you'll see a piece of the Dublin player's helmet "get a crack" and fly off. It was at best a dangerous swipe and only a very biased observer would not call it a red card offence.

MajaDon wrote: »
    Take a closer look at the incident on TG4 player - you'll see a piece of the Dublin player's helmet "get a crack" and fly off. It was at best a dangerous swipe and only a very biased observer would not call it a red card offence.

Sorry my mistake, I was mixing it up with the Jonjo Farrell incident. I don't think anyone should seriously argue with the lyng card.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

CityKat, hold your horses, steady up! Let me clarify so.
    I definitely think that KK dont have a discipline problem at all! More so the problems with refereeing at the moment and easy senseless cards. When I say that we have to watch discipline it's more like making sure you dont get caught with these soft cards from certain refs. Unfortunately I'm talking about playing with a 'careful' and tentative style like the first all ireland last year where I felt backs like Jackie were afraid to put a hand on or touch off their markers=rediculous high scoring. I hope it never comes to this! I wonder why KK players were afraid of soft yellows that day-a mystery!

I like Hitchens comments above about when was the last time a KK player injured another player and I would be a fan of the Eddie Keher school of hurling i.e. it's a mans game, it's different to football, and soccer can keep it's cards(to a degree!)

Regards the solution to playing with a man down- Don't get sent off! or at least play Run-And-Handpass 'basketball' that was ingrained into Cork in the naughties. Two years ago in Semple against Cork(Shefflin's 'Red' Card) I dont think anybody was overly concerned about being 5 points down coming up to half time-I felt KK would eventually get into gear and win even playing poorly, but of all teams you dont go a man down to is Cork! We could have been 5 points up at the time and you still wouldnt be comfortable playing against their style! Look at how they beat Galway by reverting instinctively to that style a few years ago in Semple when Donal Og got sent off-

There were instances there on Sunday where some of the players didn't even try to keep short possession. the main example for me was when Lester tried to play a one-two with Joyce in the second half and joyce launched the ball down the pitch (much to Lester's annoyance who let him know about it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

8963_10153015182562367_3920208254963445261_n.jpg?oh=523afe0023cfb163dd99307482ae4d8c&oe=5596CC5D&__gda__=1430836657_87236d6a167b12887ae89aa9be4f6ef6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

ttowncat wrote: »
    CityKat, hold your horses, steady up! Let me clarify so.
    I definitely think that KK dont have a discipline problem at all! More so the problems with refereeing at the moment and easy senseless cards. When I say that we have to watch discipline it's more like making sure you dont get caught with these soft cards from certain refs. Unfortunately I'm talking about playing with a 'careful' and tentative style like the first all ireland last year where I felt backs like Jackie were afraid to put a hand on or touch off their markers=rediculous high scoring. I hope it never comes to this! I wonder why KK players were afraid of soft yellows that day-a mystery!

I like Hitchens comments above about when was the last time a KK player injured another player and I would be a fan of the Eddie Keher school of hurling i.e. it's a mans game, it's different to football, and soccer can keep it's cards(to a degree!)

Regards the solution to playing with a man down- Don't get sent off! or at least play Run-And-Handpass 'basketball' that was ingrained into Cork in the naughties. Two years ago in Semple against Cork(Shefflin's 'Red' Card) I dont think anybody was overly concerned about being 5 points down coming up to half time-I felt KK would eventually get into gear and win even playing poorly, but of all teams you dont go a man down to is Cork! We could have been 5 points up at the time and you still wouldnt be comfortable playing against their style! Look at how they beat Galway by reverting instinctively to that style a few years ago in Semple when Donal Og got sent off-

There were instances there on Sunday where some of the players didn't even try to keep short possession. the main example for me was when Lester tried to play a one-two with Joyce in the second half and joyce launched the ball down the pitch (much to Lester's annoyance who let him know about it!)

Fair dues ttowncat. Good points. I took the original reference to discipline to mean something else. You can see there's plenty on here ready to pounce whenever the issue of discipline arises.

I'm with you on referees especially last week. IMO a red card should only be handed out once in a blue moon - for a serious foul. What JJF did (or allegedly did), didn't merit a red card. The red card, coming when it did, ruined the game as a spectacle. The game itself was played in good spirit. There was no niggle in it up to that.

Regarding the tactics when a man down, I wouldn't be a fan of the short passing game at all. It's a style that's pretty much alien to us. Having to change styles mid match is a big ask. IMO the short passing game doesn't work a lot of the time with 15 so I dont see the merit in adopting it with 14 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

But every player on that panel today meets the basic requirement to be a player on a Kilkenny panel and if they didn't then they would not be on it in the first place.

You keep telling yourself that, do you think Keogh would be anywhere near the panel if he was from Comer, Ballyragget, Mullinavat, anywhere other than the Village? Middling to good club hurler at best.

God forbid any of the lickarses around here might criticise Cody.....

Rochelle wrote: »

29257607.jpg

Cody delivers all irelands on a consistant basis, he can try my granny out at centre back if he wants, even though I did hear that the Village Ladies over 70s centre back is a serious stick woman, so maybe Cody will revert to type and pick her.

You keep telling yourself that, do you think Keogh would be anywhere near the panel if he was from Comer, Ballyragget, Mullinavat, anywhere other than the Village? Middling to good club hurler at best.

Yeah there's nobody from ballyragget getting a chance on the team. Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I have deleted the last few posts and the troll has been dealt with. Can we all move along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Orizio wrote: »
    8963_10153015182562367_3920208254963445261_n.jpg?oh=523afe0023cfb163dd99307482ae4d8c&oe=5596CC5D&__gda__=1430836657_87236d6a167b12887ae89aa9be4f6ef6

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

What's happening with Michael Rice? Is he still on the sidelines?

Was wondering about Michael Rice, we could really do with a presence like Michael in the team, what a pity he suffered so many injuries. It will be tough for him coming back after so long.

Is Ger Aylward still on the panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Mick Rice is very close to making a return to competitive action i believe. Let's hope he has an injury free year this year, he would be a huge addition to the panel especially in the league with so many of our key players unavailable.

Mick Rice is very close to making a return to competitive action i believe. Let's hope he has an injury free year this year, he would be a huge addition to the panel especially in the league with so many of our key players unavailable.

Even if he doesn't play that well, or even doesn't make the team, fingers crossed that he can stay injury free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Was wondering about Michael Rice, we could really do with a presence like Michael in the team, what a pity he suffered so many injuries. It will be tough for him coming back after so long.

Is Ger Aylward still on the panel?

Ive heard Ger Aylward is abroad but dont take that for definate. Either that or he has been dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Has there been any update on the Farrell red card? Any appeal or such? A little out of the loop over here.

Miall108 wrote: »
    Ive heard Ger Aylward is abroad but dont take that for definate. Either that or he has been dropped

I heard he was abroad for a couple of months but is now back training with the panel...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Ahh give the lads a break.

Firstly. Dublin are miles ahead of anyone else in their training, and were fitter in Dec than Kilkenny are even now. Cunningham has appoint to prove with them and I wouldn't be surprised if he's going out to win the league.

2) KK are only back from their holidays a month? So based on that and on what we've heard from previous years they haven't even picked up a hurl in training yet. Not too bad if your a regular for a couple of years, but if your a relative newbie to the team, then this lack of hurling becomes more pronounced when playing.

3) When looking at lads in the League you have to consider the following: are they/have they been playing college/Fitzgibbon cup hurling and are therefore fitter than most of their competitors I the league at this tome of the year i.e. Cadogan and Lehane in Cork with UCC. You'll tend to notice that as the year moves on these guys who look great now tend to come back to the pack rapidly as others get a s fit later in the year.

4) Are they new to inter-county hurling - it takes a couple of years to get used to the physicality of it. R Hogan is an animal now, but in his first few years he was pushed left right and centre.

Lastly - Kennedy was flying last year and I remember seeing him give Canning a tough time in the league semi-final in Limerick. So he's not near as bad as some would have you believe.

That being said coming from last year I struggled to think how Matt Ruth, Mark Kelly and John Joe Farrell were Kilkenny standard. This year John Joe has surprised me a bit with his ability to create havoc in the opposition full back line. He's decent in the year, but his striking will always be a big flaw in his game. He had ample opportunities in the game against cork to get a goal and didn't.
    Mark Kelly and Matt Ruth try, but you don't have any confidence that they are going to win the ball, ohh they compete, but never win the ball. That's why I think they'll eventually be dropped but Kelly might surprise us. Saying that Ruth is an opportunist around the goal with the ball on the ground like his father, but I don't think he is inter-county standard. That is no slight mind you !

I can't understand how Cody is not playing more of the newer guys and pushing them to win. I think we'll be in the relegation playoff and probably win it. But if we are then why not just play the younger lads and give them a taste and see what comes of it.

Good post mercury, i agree with all of it, I find myself warming to Mark Kelly and Jonjo if there striking was better they would be serious hurlers because they win plenty of their own ball. Kilkenny do need to get a foothold around midfield as well, panel looks very bare right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

Yeah there's nobody from ballyragget getting a chance on the team. Oh wait...

Poor comprehension skills there RD, I know you're not stupid so I take it you're just pretending to be?

By my count there must be approx. 15 spaces available on the panel right now. If there are any guys looking to put their hand up, there has never been a better time to do so in all of Cody's reign.
    Regarding Keogh last weekend, I thought he actually won some good ball early on but I counted at least of his three clearances to a Dublin player that resulted in scores. Couple that with Jackie's performance and the extra man for the Dubs, the backs were always going to be under pressure. The team was lauded for its performance against Cork and rightly so. I wouldn't throw them under a bus just yet.
    I saw most of the senior clubs in action last year and bar John Dalton I didn't see any other back that I thought could do a job at inter county level. From the U21s last year, the only back that caught my eye was the full back, Mansfield, from Mullinavat. I don't get to see any Intermediate/Junior matches so I can't say if there are any notables from those ranks. If there are, they'll surely get a run in the IC intermediate team at the very least. I'm sure anybody who impresses in that team is going to be considered for the senior set up.
    If Cody is so biased towards the Village, it's a wonder he hasn't brought a few more into the panel at this time. There's a lot people, even non-Village, wondering whether Scanlon should be given a try.

• Advertisement

Poor comprehension skills there RD, I know you're not stupid so I take it you're just pretending to be?

Well Geoff Brennan is no better or worse than Keough, I'd have thought. I made the same comment as you earlier in the year, that Cody gives more looks to village lads. But I was only being tongue in cheek about it, his record if finding players is far too good to accuse him of that.

What's your opinion of Larkin? When he came in they said he wasn't good enough, it took him years to prove his ability, in the meantime it was claimed his village connections were why he was kept. I'm from the Boro, I still hear people make that claim. It doesn't add up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement