Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Richie Hogan is one of the best free takers in the game i would have no worries here.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Any links for the match tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Not a bad team to be fielding given the circumstances and for the first round of the league.

No surprises with Murphy being tried at full back, since JJ's announcement I thought that'd be the logical step to take.

Overall I'd be happy enough with the backs but I'm not so sure about the forwards. No disrespect to Wally but I'm failing to see why Cody continues to persevere with him, I'm really hoping I'll be proven wrong this year.

To be fair Wally has shown his quality many times at Inter County level just consistency he has lacked at times. Id much rather give someone a chance who has shown in the past they can play at this level than someone who cant and has constantly disappointed at every opportunity they got ie: Ruth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

Can't wait for this year to finally be underway. Not expecting much in this league owing to retirements and absentees, but if they lads can get a few results and get to the QF's I'll be happy as it'll show we have the panel strength again this year.

Best of luck to the lads tonight, it's not the strongest Kilkenny side ever, but I'm sure it'll be competitive. And you never know, there's still some top quality there, so a positive result is not anywhere near an impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭robwen

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Any links for the match tomorrow night?

Yeah but am I allowed post them here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭robwen

justbored wrote: »

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

robwen wrote: »
    Yeah but am I allowed post them here?

Could you PM me as well? can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

someone pm me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

PM please

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

PM please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

PM if possible aswell please!

...anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

Any links for streaming??

Try nowwatchtvlive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Kilkenny 1-22 Cork 2-17 christ image a full strength team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

What a great performance. Unbelievable work rate. Richie Hogan was my motm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Caught the last half hour; sums up KK tbh. Some dubious refereeing decisions (arguably 2 yellows for fouls on murphy and Kelly not even blown for), some terrible mistakes by the kk keeper and full forward in the dying minutes, and still coming through it. Ridiculously high levels of focus and professionalism in an amateur sport. Their mental skill is the most admirable thing from a mostly neutral perspective (kk and mayo roots)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Walter and Mark Kelly Excellent. Geoff Brennan did a lot of good hurling when he came in. Good to see them trying to stake a place and Matt Ruth was not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

From an outsider looking in, it was a very impressive performance by KK. As mentioned their workrate was top class again, meaning the Cork forwards didnt get much good ball. Best game I've seen from Wally in quite a while, as Hogan said on Setanta, its time for him to step up, and he did tonight. Murphy and Tyrell were typically commanding again too, Richie Hogan a class apart really. Joyce looks good this year for ye at 6 aswell.

Cork looked unfocused and their touch and striking was uncharacteristically awful. They have issues again in the full back line too, they look lightweight back there and were bullied often tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Didn't see that coming tbh. Happy to be wrong. Great performance and result considering it's the first competitive game of the season and the players missing. Great hunger shown by the so-called second string. Cork'll surely be disappointed more with the performance than the result especially in their own backyard. Scoreboard flattered the home side what with the soft goal and soft frees in the second half.

IMO difference between the two was the KK forwards were more clinical than the CK forwards. Of the KK backs thought Joyce was immense and is shaping up to be next Ger Henderson even scoring a monster pt from inside his own half (without even looking at the posts!). Hard to judge Murphy on this single game at full back but still playing like a corner back in committing himself to the ball - would like a bit more man-watching. IMO the rest were solid enough probably shading their opponents. Poorest match I've ever seen Buckley play especially from a lad playing Fitzgibbon up to last week.

Lester and Geoff shaded it in MF IMO. Bad break for Fogarty. Hopefully nothing serious.

Of the forwards, Hogan was sublime. Got some ‘treatment’ from the CK backs but kept the head and kept playing. One brilliant moment in the first half when having gained possession, got surrounded, lost possession, regained possession and laid off a peach of a pass to Wally who scored. Kelly was dangerous and got some nice scores. Should have goaled when he hit it straight at Nash. Wally was back towards the player he can be. Putting himself about, getting on the end of passes and scoring. Walsh was a handful and could with better shooting have got more on the scoreboard.

Thought the ref was poor and brought Cork back into it in the second half with some soft frees. Didn’t blow when Walsh and Kelly were cleaned out if it in that second half and yet blew for players falling over. Handed a yellow to Ruth in the first half for practically nothing and let far worse go.

Didn't expect us to win tonight. I kind of bought into the weakened side argument doing the rounds, the fact that we didn't play in any pre-season tournaments (or challenge matches that I know of), and that we generally don't win in Cork in the league that often.

And once again, I'm very happy to be proven wrong. The attitude for a side to have that raw hunger and work ethic, after everything they've won (and missing 13 of the AI winning panel from last year) in February is unreal.

All I can say is this; We are unbelievably blessed to be from Kilkenny so as to have the privilege to be able to follow this team, as a supporter they never let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Once again Kilkenny dominate the opening 10 mins of the second half. I'd love to see a statistic of Kilkenny's performance in this period of a game over the last 3-4 seasons compared to other periods in a match. Kilkenny just become a juggernaut in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

Anyone know the story with Conor Fogarty? I saw him in dugout with tracksuit onafter so hopefully that means it's not serious.

Also, for anyone with 'pause and rewind', what was the stroke like on Fogarty's knee? Was it a pure accident or was it late/wild etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Well done to all last night, beating cork away with so many first choice missing.

I did not expect a win last night I must admit.
    Delighted for mark Kelly. Pity he didn't keep going for that goal chance and bury Nash in the back of the net with the ball !!

Thought wally, p Walsh and joyce really stood up and took the fight to cork

More of the same lads ...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

ttowncat wrote: »
    Anyone know the story with Conor Fogarty? I saw him in dugout with tracksuit onafter so hopefully that means it's not serious.

Also, for anyone with 'pause and rewind', what was the stroke like on Fogarty's knee? Was it a pure accident or was it late/wild etc.?

He is gone for an x-ray this morning I believe, don't know any more than that - looked a very sore belt, a cut just above the shin/below the knee.

As for the pull on Fogarty by Sullivan - it was intentional and off-the-ball, he deserved to be taken to task for it, in fact he should still be because it was a dirty stroke intended to injure.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

Just looking at reffing of Dublin Tipp match and reflecting on some of last nights yellow cards and was wondering why did they get rid of the BLACK card in hurling a few years ago? (As in the name taking TICK of a black card)

There's been plenty of examples of soft/stupid yellow cards over the past few years and then the player commits another infringement that's slightly worse than a free and he's gone, game changer. Hurling 2020 proposes two yellows and a substitution, which I think is a bit ridiculous, but it's just a reaction to (or fear of) losing a player to two technical yellow cards that are not actual full on dangerous play or professional fouling or whatever. A referees discretion to give a first warning or final warning could save games being ruined.

There's also an argument that rules are rules and refs opinions and discretion shouldn't be a factor but hurling is a game that is so full contact and has so many dynamics that it is impossible to fully account for every move/rule, and that it will never be a game where the ref won't be talked about, talked about good or bad.

Anyway, does anyone remember the reason as to why they got rid of the hurling black card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

ttowncat wrote: »
    Just looking at reffing of Dublin Tipp match and reflecting on some of last nights yellow cards and was wondering why did they get rid of the BLACK card in hurling a few years ago? (As in the name taking TICK of a black card)

There's been plenty of examples of soft/stupid yellow cards over the past few years and then the player commits another infringement that's slightly worse than a free and he's gone, game changer. Hurling 2020 proposes two yellows and a substitution, which I think is a bit ridiculous, but it's just a reaction to (or fear of) losing a player to two technical yellow cards that are not actual full on dangerous play or professional fouling or whatever. A referees discretion to give a first warning or final warning could save games being ruined.

There's also an argument that rules are rules and refs opinions and discretion shouldn't be a factor but hurling is a game that is so full contact and has so many dynamics that it is impossible to fully account for every move/rule, and that it will never be a game where the ref won't be talked about, talked about good or bad.

Anyway, does anyone remember the reason as to why they got rid of the hurling black card?

If the yellow card was properly applied there would be no need for another colour card. Check out the rules (section 5) to see when/where a yellow is applied. The word persistent is used a lot. The problem with a lot of IC refs is their own interpretation of when to award a yellow card. E.g. Ruth was yellow carded in the first half last night for very little (and I think) his first offence. There was far worse let go before and afterward. Refs often use the yellow to make an example of a player in the hope of deterring others. I think it would be more productive for a ref to talk to a captain(s) if he feels a team's discipline needs addressing rather than singling out one individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Very happy with the result on Saturday, great fight and Cody has obviously been drumming it in to them that positions are up for grabs.

Eoin Murphy: Murphy didn't protect him for the first goal and was poor for the second goal but he is a solid keeper and will drive on again
    T Keogh: Impressed by him, tends to try hurl a bit to much and carrys it a lot but has the makings of a good option
    P Murphy, Thought he left the house exposed a few times but hurled a lot of ball, needs to learn the finer arts like holding out man to protect Murphy and not to take on to much in this position
    Tyrell: grew into the game after been exposed a little by Cadogan early on
    Kennedy: Solid if not spectacular but look forward to seeing more of him
    Joyce: he looks like he has trained hard over the winter, thought he had a fine game and hope he drives on and nails down his place
    Buckley: usual workrate and solid performance
    Geoff Brennan and Lester were impressive in terms of the balls they broke up and just made an awful nuisance of themselves, both looked very hungry
    Matt Ruth worked hard and had one of his better games
    Walter really upped his game and worked really hard even at quieter times where he wasn't getting on the ball
    Padraig Walsh very impressive would like him to be given a role and defined position however
    Mark Kelly, great game looked like a man who has put endless work into his striking compared to last year
    JJ Farrell won most ball that came his way and was a major nuisance but seemed to be bundled of the ball a little to easily, a bit more aggression and he could do damage
    Richie Hogan, unstoppable

They all looked like they have done serious gym work done, looking forward to the Dublin challenge that awaits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement