Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭HorseSea

I think it is great too, in fact I think nearly all of JK Brickworks creations are good enough for an Ideas set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Selling Jabbas palace Set (9516) & Rancor pit (75005). Have the mini figures inc the Rancor for the pit set but not the figures for jabbas palace.

If anyone knows anyone looking for these sets, please PM me. Currently saving up to buy the ghost busters firehouse which is the reason for selling.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Has anyone MOC'd their own, better, Carbon Freezing Chamber? The UCS Hoth set (in its misery IMO) has inspired me to have a go at MOC'ing my own Cloud City. My partner has the original 10123 but it hasn't aged well, especially next to the UCS Slave 1.

Has anyone MOC'd their own, better, Carbon Freezing Chamber? The UCS Hoth set (in its misery IMO) has inspired me to have a go at MOC'ing my own Cloud City. My partner has the original 10123 but it hasn't aged well, especially next to the UCS Slave 1.

I seen some really good ones in December/January on Facebook where people had bought 3-4 copies of 75137 and put them together as well as using the extra parts to make the it look more movie accurate. There was a really good one somebody built using just parts from 75093.

Not on those groups anymore but have a search for Lego Star Wars and Minifigures Collectors group and LEGO ~ Sell it, Want it, Swap it!! I'm sure you'll get some good ideas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dbloke

Coincidentally, this month's Blocks mag has a whole article on improving the carbon freezing chamber.

blocksmag dot com

• Advertisement

dbloke wrote: »
    Coincidentally, this month's Blocks mag has a whole article on improving the carbon freezing chamber.

blocksmag dot com

Is blocks any good? I've been on the fence about subscribing because I don't do too many MOCs (major space issues!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is blocks any good? I've been on the fence about subscribing because I don't do too many MOCs (major space issues!)

I stopped after the first two issues. The features weren't bad, but I couldn't move past what I thought was very poor writing and simply awful proof-reading. I'm not sure if it's gotten better since.

Most of that creative team moved to a new magazine called 'Bricks', which I haven't gotten an issue of. I did, however, get the first issue of its sister title 'Bricks Culture' and found it excellent.

Does anybody know much about the Lego Kingdom sets?

Found a Kingdom'Knights jousting; - set number 10223 while on holidays and debating whether to get it. I know its a retired set and its priced at 140e. Is it worth buying at that price?

thanks for the help

Naid23 wrote: »

Found a Kingdom'Knights jousting; - set number 10223 while on holidays and debating whether to get it. I know its a retired set and its priced at 140e. Is it worth buying at that price?

thanks for the help

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?id=104354#T=S&O={"cond":"N","ii":0,"ic":0,"reg":"-1"}

If that link works properly it'll give you the bricklink pricing for sealed listings for that set in the EU. They seem to start at €129. Not sure I'd be buying it to resell but those Kingdom sets look great on display.

Edit: Nope the link just shows all the listings for that set.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Naid23 wrote: »

thanks for the help

If Bricklink is anything to go on, then to have it in your hands for 140e is pretty nice. Most of the prices you'll see on BL would be marginally cheaper from American sellers but wouldn't include shipping which, for a large box from the US, is quite bad (upwards of 20-25euro).

I really wish Kingdoms sets would make a proper comeback. It's brief return in 2013 along with the small Pirates revival was nice but ultimately disappointing.

• Advertisement

Rhyme wrote: »
    If Bricklink is anything to go on, then to have it in your hands for 140e is pretty nice. Most of the prices you'll see on BL would be marginally cheaper from American sellers but wouldn't include shipping which, for a large box from the US, is quite bad (upwards of 20-25euro).

I really wish Kingdoms sets would make a proper comeback. It's brief return in 2013 along with the small Pirates revival was nice but ultimately disappointing.

The problem with the re-released themes though were that the sets released were almost identical to the previous versions. I'm guessing that's why they didn't make much of a comeback.

The problem with the re-released themes though were that the sets released were almost identical to the previous versions. I'm guessing that's why they didn't make much of a comeback.

Thanks. Think we gonna buy it to build. Will look nice on the shelf. :-)

True. Even a few weird offshoot sets from a few decades ago re-realised in a new form like the Forestmen and Wolfpack sets for Fantasy and the Island people from the Pirates range. They appeared, didn't gain much traction upon release (though they have since then) and then vanished. A bit of scope that we haven't seen much of since the late 80's/early 90's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Does anyone know of any new Creator House sets that are worth getting?

Rhyme wrote: »
    True. Even a few weird offshoot sets from a few decades ago re-realised in a new form like the Forestmen and Wolfpack sets for Fantasy and the Island people from the Pirates range. They appeared, didn't gain much traction upon release (though they have since then) and then vanished. A bit of scope that we haven't seen much of since the late 80's/early 90's.

Myself and my brothers loved those Island people sets! I'm surprised they haven't re-released the Forestmen and Woflpack sets given how popular they are. I seen an ad on adverts last night. Somebody has a load of old castle minifigs up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JupiterKid wrote: »

Which ones? Do you mean the buildings like the Restruant or Changing Seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

JupiterKid wrote: »

Here's a full list of the Creator sets for this year. The ones with a picture of the box haven't been released yet. As far as houses go, there's only really the Lakeside Lodge but at a stretch, the Lighthouse Point and Treehouse Adventures are due out later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There's always that moment of disappointment when you realise that more than half the heft of those creator houses comes from the three instruction booklets. Bought the changing season one recently enough and there really is very little lego in for the size and weight of the box.

That said I like them and have a few of the smaller ones. I tend to only pick them up if I can get them on sale. Changing season is 38 euro in Smyths at the moment. It's still expensive for what you're getting. It's disappointing that Lego no longer seems to be interested in producing larger (maybe even medium) houses for the line.

Myself and my brothers loved those Island people sets! I'm surprised they haven't re-released the Forestmen and Woflpack sets given how popular they are. I seen an ad on adverts last night. Somebody has a load of old castle minifigs up for sale.

I've been harvesting up a few choice sets for my nieces recently (recently 6036 Skeleton Surprise and 7094 King's Castle Siege) and some Forestmen, Wolf Pack and Islanders would be great. Not just typical bad guys and good guys but something nebulous and vague that the binary sets just don't match.

I remember growing up not knowing that Blacktron were the bad guys, just that themselves and Space Police were were opposed to each other. I think not having a clear-cut set of enemies did a lot for my early development, I had to really think about the games I played.

I think the sets like that Joust set are fantastic as they are a bit of world-building instead of 'the red side have this and the blue side have this, now fight!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »

"They should have sent a poet."

I've had a pretty crazy LEGO related week, though all to the good.

A week ago on Saturday I visited my nearest store, which is in the Westfield shopping centre in Shepherd's Bush. Through a combination of VIP points and some cash I'd been given for my recent birthday (though I shouldn't admit how little of a cash balance was required...) I picked up the Parisian Restaurant to continue the growth of my modular street. As is usually the case when you buy something in-store, I was asked to complete a short survey later by the guy who served me, who also asked me to mention him specifically. Happy with the service - sometimes I find that store employees talk to adults in the same way they'd talk to kids, and this was an exception - I duly obliged when I got back to the flat.

A day later I received an email from the store manager thanking me for completing the survey, and inviting me to get in touch should I need anything. Another day or two later I discovered that there was a private shopping event being held at LEGO Stores in Europe/USA on Saturday last. The deal was that 27 people were invited to each store an hour before opening, and there was a whole bunch of exclusive stuff being offered, including an 'Escape from the Space Slug' Star Wars set, of which only 3,500 were produced. I didn't receive an invitation (I'm not entirely sure what the selection process was; I think it was a combination of money spent and membership of communities like LUGs) but I decided to chance my arm with an email to the manager.

The following day I got an email to say that my luck was in, and that I had been secured an invitation. One problem: the date of the event hadn't registered with me, and it turned out to be the morning after my finacée (who still lives in Ireland) was arriving to visit. Perhaps stupidly I waited until she arrived on Friday night (with a delayed flight, no less, meaning we didn't get back from the airport until after midnight) to suggest a trip to the LEGO Store first thing in the morning. But being awesome enough to let me indulge in my obsession hobby, she agreed to sacrifice her sleep (after looking contemplatively at her ring a couple of times, I think...).

Anyway, all's well that ends well, and we got to the store the following morning. You had to spend £100 on Star Wars to get the exclusives, so I picked up the Slave I, bagging me the exclusive set, the May 4th Stormtrooper polybag, the TFA poster that's going at the moment, and a fine art print of a Hoth scene.

Here are the Hoth print and Space Slug set:

PBYsXcsl.jpg

5sDqil7l.jpg

So yeah, pretty good few days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Fair play Necronomicon! Saw the reports online about the event myself and people going mad to make up the Space Slug set themselves. That Hoth print looks pretty sweet I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭HorseSea

Nice one, pays to be nice sometimes. Are you opening the slug?

Wow, is anyone keeping theirs? Can't see LEGO doing many more of these limited edition exclusives when so many end up on eBay so quick for mad money. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XLego+space+slug.TRS0&_nkw=Lego+space+slug&_sacat=0

Brick link have already posted up the parts list so I'll be buying the bits and making it myself. Good enough without shelling out the 180e+ I've been seeing online :)

HorseSea wrote: »
    Nice one, pays to be nice sometimes. Are you opening the slug?

Wow, is anyone keeping theirs? Can't see LEGO doing many more of these limited edition exclusives when so many end up on eBay so quick for mad money. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XLego+space+slug.TRS0&_nkw=Lego+space+slug&_sacat=0

I'm not opening it just yet...there isn't any rush because I don't have much display space in my current abode.

It's crazy, all the >2,000 piece sets I have and this 161 piece set has become the most valuable set I own. The temptation to sell it and buy something 20x larger will linger, but I think I'll just bask in having something this rare in my collection :)

Edit: Might be slightly off with my value estimates actually, but the point remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks anyone here have either the KwikeMart or Simpsons House?

I'm thinking of picking one up in the next while and it'll be my most expensive purchase to date by about €100 so want to make sure I get the most enjoyable build.

Or would ye recommend something else for that money?(I did like the look of the Pirate Ship From Lego Movie)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Folks anyone here have either the KwikeMart or Simpsons House?

I'm thinking of picking one up in the next while and it'll be my most expensive purchase to date by about €100 so want to make sure I get the most enjoyable build.

Or would ye recommend something else for that money?(I did like the look of the Pirate Ship From Lego Movie)

Is there any particular reason you're after the Simpsons sets? If not, there are some great looking sets in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is there any particular reason you're after the Simpsons sets? If not, there are some great looking sets in that price range.

Loved the Simpsons when I was growing up so that's the main reason for taking a shine to those sets.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Loved the Simpsons when I was growing up so that's the main reason for taking a shine to those sets.

That's as good a reason as any! I haven't built either of them but if I was buying one, I think the Kwik e mart looks the better of the two.

Advertisement