Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AnFecker

An Open Letter to All Candidates with a view to ensuring all candidates are #OneOfYou

http://anf ucked.blogspot.ie/2013/03/open-letter-to-all-candidates.html

(Remove the space)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

AnFecker wrote: »
    Link is broken, but this one might work http://goo.gl/64Jq0

Did you know your name is an anagram of 'I Monk, I'. Deep.

My incompetence has been found out.

Unfortunately you are wrong, it is lion MK. I am a byproduct of Kelly O Briens time in charge of the radio. I was to be used as a mind control tool over students to get them to tune in to ULFM but alas, college is no place for a lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Excelsior101

Appreciate the feedback! Yes, there is no doubt that any move on this would have to be done in conjunction with the director of buildings as well as the health and safety officer. And of course its a good point that is may be unfeasible, but if it was feasible it would significantly improve the approachability of the union, as from talking to students I have found a lot of them, mostly first and second years, find it intimidating to approach the sabbats.

As for the financial aspects, I emailed 3 companies yesterday to get a quote, and hope to hear from them soon to clarify this, and thanks for the advice. Also, in my mandate I outlined ways to increase revenue, and through increased revenue could pursue key plans such as this.

Also, just to clarify, I said that the sabbats were free, not alone in the offices. And you are completely right, every year candidates advocate this open policy as a by-promise in an attempt to pander for votes, and they are never fulfilled. Year after year this happens, and I'm sick of it, and the reason I am running for election and why I made it my central theme, and also based my mandate on making the union more open, as I feel that all the central issues that will be addressed this week cannot be tackled effectively without the support of the student body. The Union is at a crucial time where it is losing touch with the students body, and becoming almost separated from them by operating behind closed doors, and this is the year to turn it around, and through the various measures outlined in my manifesto, it can easily improve this situation.

A valid point as regards installing the new doors is the welfare officer problem, which has cropped up, and hence why I advocate the simple step of blinds in the doors, which could be just limited to welfare, and ensure confidential issues remain as such.

Again, thanks for the questions and feedback, appreciate it, I will be on boards tomorrow and campaigning, so if you see me about I encourage you to please come up to me and have a chat, and we can address any issues or concerns you may have with some points of my manifesto.

Look forward to it,

Cheers,

Tim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AnFecker

lkionm wrote: »
    My incompetence has been found out.

Unfortunately you are wrong, it is lion MK. I am a byproduct of Kelly O Briens time in charge of the radio. I was to be used as a mind control tool over students to get them to tune in to ULFM but alas, college is no place for a lion.

We both look silly now because I deleted my previous comment due to your deletion of your previous comment. I think that works in the same way as my memory of the O'Brien regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

If elected, I will replace those wooden doors with glass doors to remove the sense of the unknown so the Sabbat can be seen and become instantly more approachable. In the cases where privacy is paramount blinds can be installed in the door to ensure confidentiality is not impinged upon.

I really can't tell if you're being serious.

I've worked in open plan work environments where all the offices had glass sliding doors (there weren't many offices and they weren't necessarily for seniority). At least one wall of all the offices and meeting rooms were also made out of glass. For an office, it helps ensure that people don't become detached by a wall and a door even though they might be in a different physical space.

While saying that, making something literally more visible/open/transparent doesn't necessarily mean people will be comfortable with it, nor does it actually mean things will be more open.

The open door type policy that has been seen countless times before works if consistently followed. If you want some physical change to accompany that, a spring loaded door to keep it open unless it has been fully closed could help.

Again, I'm not sure if it's a serious point. It seems verging on satire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

ninty9er wrote: »
    The main advantage the incumbents have is a realistic perspective on what is achievable as opposed to desirable. All of the manifestos have fantastically desirable plans, but achievability in a 12 month time frame isn't realistic in many cases, nor operationally unless money magically appears to make these things manageable.

The roles are there for more than 12 months - the individual may not be, but the roles are. If someone can create the right structures, can't any sustainable project work? Just because you didn't manage it Derek, does not mean it's not manageable!

The suggestion appears to be that incumbents know what new candidates have yet to learn - which is true. But then, that's how guys like Michael Lowry get voted in again and again, so there's more than one way to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

AnFecker wrote: »
    An Open Letter to All Candidates with a view to ensuring all candidates are #OneOfYou

http://anf ucked.blogspot.ie/2013/03/open-letter-to-all-candidates.html

(Remove the space)

I particularly enjoy this line:
    PS. We can't promise that those who don't volunteer to be interviewed won't be interviewed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Adam_M wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Adam here.

My manifesto has just gone live and is available here:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/adam-moursy-for-ulsu-president-201314/manifesto/500655696647866

I was going to post it in word format in here but it is quite long however I have attached my manifesto in jpeg format.

I'll be using boards throughout the campaign so if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask them here or drop me a pm.

Thanks

Adam
    The referendum to rejoin USI is, I think, pretty poorly timed given that the largest university in the country has just pulled out. The usi is a deeply flawed organisation at this point, headed as it has been by die hard fianna failures from ucd for the past few years. It would be hard to point to a less successful lobbying organisation; not only have they failed to win a single victory for students, they've actually presided over worsening conditions for students while failing to muster an effective fight back.

Usi is little more than a place for su politicals to spend a few more years insulated from the poor Job market, the rest of us simply pay to support that without reaping tangible benefits.

Indeed those are arguments for during a referendum, but this year would be a poor time to have one. Usi is promising to restructure itself, we would be voting to rejoin an organisation in flux, it makes more sense to wait a few years and see what new structure they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Concy B

Another daily installment of Caitriona's vlog. She's looking forward to the An****ed interview. It'll be interesting to see how each candidate comes across after being squished through the satire filter ;) great stuff though, I'm really enjoying this campaign insofar as it's distracting me from my FYP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZuIEppLKpo

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

The TST Interviews are up. We hope you enjoy them, if you're sharing them - please remember to credit and to provide a link to the original page. We really appreciate it!

http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/elections/273-interviews2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Updated Manifesto - Please give it a read, it explains all the bullet points. any feed back welcome!

Hello every one. My name is Cathal Ronan and I am currently the Deputy President Welfare Officer. I am running for re-election. So far in my term I have achieved the following;
    • Obtained and awarded four 50% on campus accommodation scholarships to the value of €9,000.
    These four scholarships were released in conjunction with PCC via the union page and website. They were awarded on the basis of family income. Essentially this was targeting students that were just above the bar for the student grant. Due to the low turnout of applicants these scholarships were re-released again and awarded on advice with members of PCC which proved vital on keeping three students in education.
    • Obtained and awarded a 100% childcare bursary to the value of €4,800.
    Using the contacts that were built up an anonymous donation of a 100% free childcare bursary was obtained and awarded in conjunction with UL Foundation. Once again a vital resource for the student it went to.
    • Increased the funding available to students for financial aid.
    Due to the nature of the welfare office usually being a one year term hardship loan chase ups were never fully carried out or they were forgotten about. This year with the aid of the financial aid committee we have constantly been following up on unpaid loans which were forgotten about. Please note that if the person was not in the position to pay the loan at that time a payment plan was put in place.
    • Assessed and awarded the student assistance fund with a budget of €236,000.
    This year the student assistance fund saw a huge increase from the government due to the grant delays. Because financial aid was such a huge issue I felt it was nessessary to access and award these applications as soon as possible so students could get their funding. I have been commended by the access office for my efficiency in processing the fund. Unfortunately SHAG week fell at the same time and due to the urgency of the student assistance fund being processed and the ents office being overwhelmed with what was the biggest charity week in the country SHAG week did not go as well as I planned. But now I know my mistakes and will rectify this if elected.
    • Established and mediated landlord/student disrepute meetings.
    Throughout the year I have met with many landlords and tenants in relation to disreputes they have had and have offered my office to meet with both to see if the problem can be settled before it goes to PRTB. I think this worked very well and I built a good relationship amongst various landlords and students.
    • Increased the number of free condoms and lube at no cost to the student or union.
    Throughout the year I have been in contact with many different organisations (DAA, Crisis Pregnancy) securing free condoms and lube for students. This is a vital service and with the contacts I have made I hope to further the free condoms we have an offer.
    • Completed sexual health training with Red Ribbon Project Limerick.

With other officers in different unions I completed sexual health training with the red ribbon project in town. I found this training very beneficial to my job and it was a great opportunity to network.
    • Completed a Cardiac First Response course with STAC.ie
    I completed this training with other students and staff and found it very beneficial and would encourage others to learn it.
    • Helped negotiate the reduced prices in the medical centre and abolish the charge for the psychiatrist.
    Which the support of other members in the SU and the medical centre we were successful in renegotiating the charges in the medical centre. These charges will once again go for assessment at the end of this semester.
    • Transferred the financial process (hardship and childcare) online for more efficiency and accountability.

Hardship loans and childcare bursaries were done via cheque which was a long process and less efficient for the funding being transferred into the relevant account. This year this process has been moved online which keeps track of all transfers electronically, has to be approved by three different members of the financial aid committee and it is now possible to create next day transfers.
    • Introduced new policies to the financial aid process to ensure funding is constantly being returned.
    Prior to a hardship loan now being granted a standing order in a certain amount must be set up to ensure that there is constant funding being returned and is seen as a sign of good faith that it will be repaid. Please note that this policy can be overturned in exceptional cases and with the agreement of the financial aid committee.
    • Became a partner organisation with See Change (The national organisation for reducing the stigma attached to mental health).
    ULSU were one of the first unions to join to See Change. They do excellent work in terms of reducing the stigma attached to mental health. Unfortunately as the committee meetings take place up in Dublin and I was getting to grips with the job I have been unable to attend. But if re-elected I will have much better organisational skills and will be able to free up time to attend committee meetings and further the service the welfare office offers.
    • Dealt with a large number of student issues privately and confidentially.
    Nothing more needs to be expanded on this.
    • Developed an excellent relationship with staff in the university and various national organisations.
    As we I sit on over 15 committees and act as the Deputy President I have used my time in office to establish a great network in the university.

If re-elected I have a number of objectives that I intend to achieve;
    • Set up a welfare office on the north campus to further the approachability of the union – At the moment I have been given permission to set up in the medical building on the North campus in the lobby – if things go well I hope to secure an office over there where I can be based there once a week. My foot is in the door and with your support I hope to push through.
    This is something I am very excited about. Which so many students now residing on the North Campus I think it is vital they should have some form of student representation. I have proposed to set up on the North Campus and have been aloud of building and estates. This is the first step. The remaining months in this semester will be a trial run to see how it is taken by students. By setting up on the North Campus once a week I can offer essential services of the welfare office (financial aid applications, condoms, lube, info leaflets etc) as well as items that are sold from reception (tickets for night time events etc)
    • Increase the funding available for the hardship loan.
    The main way to increase the funding available is by budgeting financial aid correctly, assessing and awarding correctly and by owed debt retrieval. As I said because I will not have to start training in the summer I can hit the ground running recovering owed funding.
    • Establish self-defence workshops in conjunction with Krav Maga instructors for both male and female.
    As a past member of UL Krav Maga I have set up strong links within the club in which two of campaign team members have a number of years of experience and are willing to do these workshops.
    • Create an express/emergency hardship loan.
    Even though we have the option of a next day online transfer and even a same day transfer (additional 25euro). I firmly still believe there needs to be an instant fund which is accessible immediately or for when the loan is small (bus home, food for the weekend etc). I would create a petty cash fund which would be kept in the safe of the ULSU financial controllers room.
    • Create a student safety forum.
    There has been a large increase, both on and off campus in terms of break-ins. I intend to set up a forum with students, landlords, UL security & the Gardai so the key areas can discussed and a plan made to fix them.
    • Undergo training to offer better support for students – (PINK training, ASIST training to name a few).
    I intend to work with the counselling office and chaplin in securing training for myself to offer a better service to students. ULSU have actually secured PINK training free of charge with an external group.
    • Set up a welfare working group with its main objective to ensure student led campaigns and seek sponsorship for campaigns using the contacts I have built up this term.
    Unfortunately with the loss of both a campaigns and communications officer campaigns have not exceeded as I had hoped. There is a huge part of my job carried out behind closed doors and meeting with students. The reception and facilities manager in ULSU noted that this year was the highest level of inquiry into financial aid. While I was doing all the admin work I still had to attend to the other duties of my job such as dealing with student drop-ins and attending meetings, representing you the student. This is why I want to create a welfare working group whos objective is to run campaigns and make sure they
    You should vote for me because I have previous experience working as a youth development leader and as the current welfare officer I know what needs to be done. I already understand the ins and outs of the office. I will not have to undergo three months training during the summer and I can hit the ground running and start working for you, the students, straight away. Last but not least I love this job. Last year I asked you for the opportunity to prove myself. This year I am asking once again for that opportunity. I want to build on what I have already accomplished. Last year was the year for change, now is the time for development.
    How do you vote?
    • Thursday the 14th of March
    • Online at http://vote.ulsu.ie/

Why go back to the drawing board when the foundations have already been laid.

Ronan #1 for Welfare
    Cathal has an updated more explained manifesto which I like.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Excellent interviews by TST. :)

Have watched three so far, and if anything I'm even more undecided now because they all have different things that would make me want to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

Cheers, we were really impressed with all the candidates. It's not easy sitting under two (very hot) spotlights and doing what is more than likely your first interview. So well done to all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Hi guys

Had the opportunity to view the presidential videos and am very impressed Finished filming with An Focal this morning and ready for the lols with An F**ked

Take a look here and let me know what you think:

A year in office

A Look ahead

Hope you like them

I will be answering any questions or you can tweet @paddyrockett

All the best - Great energy around the University!

Paddy

Rockett4Academics
    vote.ulsu.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

lkionm wrote: »
    23413507.jpg

Catríona and Cathal have a lot to live up to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I hear someone say what Ronan did with "Ming" was against the ERSB

Jester252 wrote: »
    I hear someone say what Ronan did with "Ming" was against the ERSB

Assuming you mean what james did? I'd doubt it, candidates can't post anything that hasn't been previously cleared, so if it was posted without clearance he would be in breach of the rules, might be the pressure sinking in for Cathal

Quintis wrote: »
    Assuming you mean what james did? I'd doubt it, candidates can't post anything that hasn't been previously cleared, so if it was posted without clearance he would be in breach of the rules, might be the pressure sinking in for Cathal

Nice catch thanks for that. Ya what James. Well I hear Cathal was checking the ERSB rules about this.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Nice catch thanks for that. Ya what James. Well I hear Cathal was checking the ERSB rules about this.

Ya assuming it was cleared with the ERB, Cathals issue would be with the chair of the ERB and if it was in violation of the guidelines and hence shouldn't have been cleared

Quintis wrote: »
    Ya assuming it was cleared with the ERB, Cathals issue would be with the chair of the ERB and if it was in violation of the guidelines and hence shouldn't have been cleared

In all honesty, if someone did something that wasn't approved, what can the ERB do besides give someone a public spanking?

Polar Ice wrote: »
    In all honesty, if someone did something that wasn't approved, what can the ERB do besides give someone a public spanking?
    Essentially just keep their deposit, that's about it really

They can't necessarily withhold the €40. If you've still run a "genuine campaign" you are still entitled to a refund of the €40

Their listed powers are:
    5.1.1 Public Reprimand (aka public spanking)
    5.1.2 Expulsion from Hustings (but no one goes to hustings except the candidates teams)
    5.1.3 withdrawn the union electoral assistance (you lose a few photocopy cards you were given/ Might have to cough up about €10-20)

Taken from Rob's facebook page

"Hey guys,

I'd just like to make a quick announcement regarding my election campaign. Due to a miscommunication regarding registration issues I will no longer be able run in this year's election. While highly disappointed I fully respect the decision of the ERB and thank them for the professionalism in dealing with this situation. Also, I would like to wish all the other candidates in all positions the very best of luck this week. Fortunately I am in 3rd year and have the opportunity to run again next year. Finally a massive thank you to all my supporters for all their support, help and time over the past few days."

• Registered Users Posts: 6 underwood

Bad luck for Rob. I wonder what happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

i heard dave oxford signed his form and they looked him up and he wasn't a real student! he didn't have the minimum amount of signatures on his list! pedantics

I think after An F*cked noticed that Porter and Sheahan were the same candidate one of them had to pull out and of course boobs>balls with regards getting votes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nomination form being incomplete (or including an invalid signature) would be the simplest reason, though, being the simplest reason, it's the sort of thing that would usually be noticed (and for the most part should be noticed*) before the official list of candidates is released. Speculation is probably pointless (though I'm not asking anyone to stop) if there's going to be an explanation provided soon.

*Very time-consuming to go through the entire list of names and signatures on a nomination form, obviously. If anything, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a DQ in previous years due to an invalid nomination form.

Edit: obviously no longer relevant, given the post from GY just below this one.

Advertisement