Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Tighearnan wrote: »
    So I'm gonna go for a stab in the dark here and say that you dont like caitriona for some reason?

What if Cathal was in his office showing wnolan safe sex and some issue came to him? Or James for that matter? Your argument for Caitriona having some disadvantage doesn't make any sense as it's not exclusively a problem she would face?

I have no reason in the world to not not like her, I dont know her as a person.
    Actually yeah thats a stupid analogy, apologies. It is 11.

Something will suffer on either her side or the students side. This could mean for arguements sake that 15 students drop out if she is too mental health heavy rather than not putting her eggs in one basket.
    I think for me personally those lads who will drop out because of this will suffer more mentally in the long run if they are unable to even get money to stay in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

lkionm wrote: »
    I have no reason in the world to not not like her, I dont know her as a person.
    Actually yeah thats a stupid analogy, apologies. It is 11.

Something will suffer on either her side or the students side. This could mean for arguements sake that 15 students drop out if she is too mental health heavy rather than not putting her eggs in one basket.
    I think for me personally those lads who will drop out because of this will suffer more mentally in the long run if they are unable to even get money to stay in college.

sorry could you elaberate on that it makes no sense to me
    i'm currently helping caitriona with her campaign having had no intension to at the start of the week but once i had read her manifesto it became clear to me that she had some very good ideas on how to help students . because of this i campaigned for her and nothing else influenced me.
    being her friend has nothing to do with campaigning for a person if they have a good manifesto (as i believe she has) makes it quite easy to support someone for there ideas alone

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Concy B

There're a few points about Caitriona's plans which should be noted.

She has a LOT in her manifesto because she believes that it is all valuable and will add to the office of Welfare. Many of the things she has planned are to be implemented with the help of a volunteer Welfare Crew - she is already in talks with the UL Office of Civic Engagement to get this moving and include people seeking module accreditation having not received co-op.

Mental health awareness is huge on her manifesto because it needs to be. It is an under focused aspect of the office and of society in general so she is hoping to do her bit in removing the stigma and get people talking about mental health (this is obviously an issue that is way above the office but it is still with in the scope of the position).

On the issue of Finance. Caitriona went in to Cathal long before this campaign to discuss that area, amongst others, with him. He told her, and I'm paraphrasing the **** out of this, that he learnt on the job and that she would do just fine in it. Distributing financial aid is part of the job description, it has to be done. Saying you did just what was expected at the end of a job isn't remarkable, it's being able to say you did that and brought something else to the table. Caitriona has loads she wants to do; yes it's ambitious but it's also innovative, thought through and researched and realistic. She has the contacts made in the college, so she's not going in cold. She has all the courses done that Cathal is looking to do next year; not only that but she wants other students to do them!

Caitriona knows exactly what she's getting into. She also has fresh ideas she wants to implement and a plan with which to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Spoke to Kennedy today and I really like his ideas on a more involved SU and trying to drive more interaction with the students. By the sounds of it he was very successful in getting the exchange students more involved. If he can bring what he brought to the international society then he would be a good choice.

Emma seems like a good choice but I think there's too much ambition in her manifesto, makes me think she is looking to 'throw **** at the wall and see what sticks' with the students, so to speak.

The others don't really seem to stand out or do much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Concy B wrote: »
    On the issue of Finance. Caitriona went in to Cathal long before this campaign to discuss that area, amongst others, with him. He told her, and I'm paraphrasing the **** out of this, that he learnt on the job and that she would do just fine in it.

Catríona has a very good mental health aspect towards her manifesto, no doubt there, and the experience but finance is an equally important part of the office and unfortunately this is where she falls down slightly, her focus in her manifesto is almost purely on grants and SUSI,

Her plan to email students to warn them about the application and guide the through it is good but the backlog with SUSI is with incoming first year students and she has no way of emailing them and warning them,

Second aspect of this were grant application workshops, while also innovative they are impractical, grant forms are filled out and returning during the summer months before September, workshops are impractical

The hardship fund is an area which needs more focus, grants are issued externally and no amount of lobbying SUSI or student forewarning will help in reducing backlogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Hi All,

Just going to respond to a few points here that have been raised in relation to my manifesto:
    Subutai wrote: »
    The referendum to rejoin USI is, I think, pretty poorly timed given that the largest university in the country has just pulled out. The usi is a deeply flawed organisation at this point, headed as it has been by die hard fianna failures from ucd for the past few years. It would be hard to point to a less successful lobbying organisation; not only have they failed to win a single victory for students, they've actually presided over worsening conditions for students while failing to muster an effective fight back.

Usi is little more than a place for su politicals to spend a few more years insulated from the poor Job market, the rest of us simply pay to support that without reaping tangible benefits.

Indeed those are arguments for during a referendum, but this year would be a poor time to have one. Usi is promising to restructure itself, we would be voting to rejoin an organisation in flux, it makes more sense to wait a few years and see what new structure they produce.

I don't disagree with your points with regards to USI. I'm not promoting rejoining USI, but I believe students should be given the option to decide whether they want UL to be an affiliated member or not.

You might also recall that DCU (an SU that is very comparable to our own) rejoined USI after over a decade on the outside. On top of that, given that UCD have a 'year of grace' and will remain an affiliated member of USI for the coming year, that UL is the only non-affiliated University Students' Union. That said, we cope very well without them and there hasn't particularly been a point this year where I've said 'God I wish we were members of USI.'
    Jester252 wrote: »
    I've talked to most of the candidate (Here's looking at ye Rockett, McCoy and Kennedy)
    Both James & Catriona seem very passionate about the role while Cathal seems a bit more relaxed. That said both Cathal and Catriona have done some work as into how to transfer manifestos into real results. James seems a bit wishy with his.

Adam is very approachable and enjoys talking about his manifesto but something seems odd.
    He has a couple of odd ticket items (LGBT right :confused:). He seem very passive in the TST interview (as in he didn't really answer any question) and the lack of a champaign makes me wonder about his drive.

May I ask what you think seems odd?

Tighearnan wrote: »
    His LGBT issues had me wondering also, as I didnt know much of his work related to this area and was fearing that it was just a buzz word for the poster. But after discussing it with him his ideas seem very possible and very beneficial. From working with out in ul in the past I think his plans would fit very well with the aims of the society which is always a good thing.

Thanks Tighearnan, it was good to clarify that issue with you, as I did with a number of members of the Out in UL committee, who were delighted with the aims detailed in my manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Adam_M wrote: »
    I don't disagree with your points with regards to USI. I'm not promoting rejoining USI, but I believe students should be given the option to decide whether they want UL to be an affiliated member or not.

So why have the referendum if you're not promoting anything. You are elected to make decisions and promote issues that will positively affect the students of UL.

You have just stated in the above post that you believe that the USI affiliation would be a bad thing. So why bring it up at all? Considering that you have previously been entrusted with the betterment and welfare of the UL Student population and you are running again with a view to doing so?

Is this just a manifesto filler? What exactly do you believe with regards to the USI?

*I say this from the point of view that a silence from the Presidency would be regarded as a negative. ie. The ULSU wishes to rejoin the USI..... President says nothing is hardly a thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Ttastic wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh, especially with no proof.

How would anyone know a student wasn't registered properly unless the student told them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uvKrvLw8tHM#!

Well this has shaken Emma Porter's credibility for me...I would have let it slide only it was apparently created by her campaign manager. I'm all for humour but this is kind of weird and a bit silly to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Still better than Ming

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Still better than Ming
    That is true...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Adam_M wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just going to respond to a few points here that have been raised in relation to my manifesto:

You might also recall that DCU (an SU that is very comparable to our own) rejoined USI after over a decade on the outside. On top of that, given that UCD have a 'year of grace' and will remain an affiliated member of USI for the coming year, that UL is the only non-affiliated University Students' Union. That said, we cope very well without them and there hasn't particularly been a point this year where I've said 'God I wish we were members of USI.'
    UCD will however be leaving following that, thereby depriving USI of funds, making it even less effective, if that's possible.

I recognise that you're not advocating re-affiliation, however my point is that a referendum in 2014 makes no sense. If students are to be asked about USI then it makes little sense to ask them before USI completes its restructuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Cossax wrote: »
    How would anyone know a student wasn't registered properly unless the student told them?

Registration status of all candidates is checked by the Democracy Development Officer in ULSU.
    The situation was not clear cut and I think it's bad form of people to be speculating.
    People should be respectful of the privacy of someone who's been told something devastating.
    ULSU and Rob's campaign have made official press releases and it should be left at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Just to clarify, I am on co-op.

Can I just ask why there has been NO email promotions on elections? Asides from the email providing information on nominations, I have not received ANY information on the topic and this is an absolute disgrace. I understand that all three sabbats are not allowed to perform their duties as they are, that does not excuse the ERB from failing sending out emails to students. The ERB has always been focused on increasing voter turnout, I would have expected emails to be matching the enthusiasm and frequency of the reception. Candidates have mentioned the lack of Student interaction with the Union and the disenfranchising that has occurred between the two. This lack of emails certainly is not helping and with elections being held tomorrow, how the hell do you expect students to vote, particularly Co-op and erasmus students who are still entitled to vote and who I would imagine, without having statistics on hand, still account for a sizeable proportion of voters. I would not have known for elections had it not been for the fact that an associate of mine is running.

As a matter of interest, who is on the ERB this year? I don't know where they publish the list but I assume it's up somewhere.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, who is on the ERB this year? I don't know where they publish the list but I assume it's up somewhere.

I am, as the representative from CRC.
    Cian Spillane is the Sabbat rep.
    There's an SU exec. rep and a C&S rep as well, but they can name themselves if they want.

(I don't know if it's published)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I am, as the representative from CRC.
    Cian Spillane is the Sabbat rep.
    There's an SU exec. rep and a C&S rep as well, but they can name themselves if they want.

(I don't know if it's published)

This is meant to be public knowledge, however it for some reason is always kept a secret. The only time I knew of an ERB existing and who was on it, was from last year's elections from an independant news source.

How can we ensure ERB is doing a fair job if we don't know who is on it?

For all we know it could just be someone approving their own campaign but rejecting the other canditates material (it's not - but since this information isn't public, I can't be sure).

It's also interesting to note, I don't know who the C&S rep is.

reunion wrote: »
    This is meant to be public knowledge, however it for some reason is always kept a secret. The only time I knew of an ERB existing and who was on it, was from last year's elections from an independant news source.

How can we ensure ERB is doing a fair job if we don't know who is on it?

For all we know it could just be someone approving their own campaign but rejecting the other canditates material (it's not - but since this information isn't public, I can't be sure).

It's also interesting to note, I don't know who the C&S rep is.

If you email roisin.monaghan@ul.ie I'm sure she will tell you.

This is meant to be public. This was raised last year and nothing has changed. No student should ever have to email 1 person to find out information about the elections. It should be posted online on ulsu.ie.

On a side note: now that Rob has been removed, there is less than 10 canditates, which means canditates can start using chalk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Glad to see someone's listening, but too little too late. 6 hours notice for hustings? o.O... Come on lads...

Slugs wrote: »
    Glad to see someone's listening, but too little too late. 6 hours notice for hustings? o.O... Come on lads...

That has also been on the ulsu.ie website since last Friday. Some better protocols to inform students (email at the close of nominations, etc.) would be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Cathals campaign video, and a good one at that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWv8EzGy7lk

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AnFecker

Quintis wrote: »

Yes. However to conceal the identity of our interviewer for safety purposes (see Veronica Guerin) all candidates conduct the interview with a balaclava on their head backwards in a dark room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I'll save you the hassle. I'm the C&S rep on the ERB.

AnFecker wrote: »
    Yes. However to conceal the identity of our interviewer for safety purposes (see Veronica Guerin) all candidates conduct the interview with a balaclava on their head backwards in a dark room.

Seems like someone was hiding something doing these interviews

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    I'll save you the hassle. I'm the C&S rep on the ERB.

Whos I'm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AnFecker

Seems like someone was hiding something doing these interviews

Thank you, Captian Obvious.

AnFecker wrote: »
    Thank you, Captian Obvious.

An ****ed was in very poor taste publicly publishing a private conversation, if the 2nd person wasn't made aware of the conversation being recorded, there are many legal privacy issues here, and to a further extent defamation issues,
    the author is trekking muddy waters here and is in danger of having the blog removed and if Paddy or Cathal took offence could be in serious legal risk, dodgy behaviour brings its consequences regardless of the humorous intent or not, that should have been obvious to the publisher of the blog!

• Advertisement

An ****ed was in very poor taste publicly publishing a private conversation, if the 2nd person wasn't made aware of the conversation being recorded, there are many legal privacy issues here, and to a further extent defamation issues,
    the author is trekking muddy waters here and is in danger of having the blog removed and if Paddy or Cathal took offence could be in serious legal risk, dodgy behaviour brings its consequences regardless of the humorous intent or not, that should have been obvious to the publisher of the blog!

I think Paddy and Cathal knew that this was for the blog

Advertisement