Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Jester252 wrote: »
    I like how differnt Cathals manifesto is to the one he put out last year. Not a single mention of welfare campagines I wounder why?
    I also question is to why are we only finding out what he has done now? I also don't remember any calls for the grants for on campus living.

it is this that epitomises boards, just like the buzz words of making the union more open. It grinds my gears that you would rather bitch about it online when you could easily go up and ask. The same with the bitching of Paddy and him not wanting to grow up, why not go up and ask him why does he keep running.

I think Cathal and Catrionas manifesto are the same strenght but for me, cathal edges it soley because he has the experience of doing the job for the last year.
    Let the sweet battle commence.

On an unrelated note, Catriona looks like an awkward Taylor Swift.
    Does anyone actually like Parkour apart from the people who do it? I think its really arrogant to be showing off for no reason like in the courtyard a while ago, She loses my vote on those two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Concy B

lkionm wrote: »

Caitriona's a better singer though!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

djnr8 wrote: »
    So far in my term I have achieved the following;
    • Obtained and awarded four 50% on campus accommodation scholarships to the value of €9,000.
    • Obtained and awarded a 100% childcare bursary to the value of €4,800.
    • Increased the funding available to students for financial aid.
    • Assessed and awarded the student assistance fund with a budget of €236,000.
    • Established and mediated landlord/student disrepute meetings.
    • Increased the number of free condoms and lube at no cost to the student or union.
    • Completed sexual health training with Red Ribbon Project Limerick.
    • Completed a Cardiac First Response course with STAC.ie
    • Helped negotiate the reduced prices in the medical centre and abolish the charge for the psychiatrist.
    • Transferred the financial process (hardship and childcare) online for more efficiency and accountability.
    • Introduced new policies to the financial aid process to ensure funding is constantly being returned.
    • Became a partner organisation with See Change (The national organisation for reducing the stigma attached to mental health).
    • Dealt with a large number of student issues privately and confidentially.
    • Developed an excellent relationship with staff in the university and various national organisations.

What I don't get is why he hasn't been singing from the rooftops about this stuff if he has achieved them. It's this sort of stuff that might show the general student body that the SU is actually doing something other than organising RAG week.

Undecided between Cathal and Catriona for Welfare. Cathal has hands on experience in the office, but I like some of the stuff in Catriona's manifesto more. This is going to be interesting...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What I don't get is why he hasn't been singing from the rooftops about this stuff if he has achieved them. It's this sort of stuff that might show the general student body that the SU is actually doing something other than organising RAG week.

Undecided between Cathal and Catriona for Welfare. Cathal has hands on experience in the office, but I like some of the stuff in Catriona's manifesto more. This is going to be interesting...

Not to seem biased but he has used facebook more than Adam and Paddy, I dont read it fully what he posts. I do remember there was a good load of stuff from his page.

They better outdo each other on the sweets.

James needs to head home and try not spend anymore money before he ends up broke and with no votes, he isnt even wearing his coloured T-shirt.
    I saw him down on one knee talking to people today, cringeworthy.
    he went over and talked to 2 older lads I was sitting next to and when he left they got up and called him a douchebag.

#oneofyou? more like #Iamclueless

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

She is wearing a turtle neck. For this reason I am out.

Good reason.
    Does anyone actually like Parkour apart from the people who do it?

Why would you do something you don't like doing. Good reason number 2.

I think its really arrogant to be showing off for no reason like in the courtyard a while ago

So when UL Dance do a flash Mob, the Tramps bounce and the scholars make delicious pancakes on a Tuesday they are all showing off and its an absolute disgrace. These clubs put on a show to entertain people, to advertise their clubs to people who may not know they exist. It's all a bit of fun that makes student life more enjoyable. Every club has done something in the courtyard at some stage.
    She loses my vote on those two points.

You had made your mind up before those 2 "points".

Porter For President.

• Advertisement

DJCR wrote: »
    Good reason.

Why would you do something you don't like doing. Good reason number 2.

So when UL Dance do a flash Mob, the Tramps bounce and the scholars make delicious pancakes on a Tuesday they are all showing off and its an absolute disgrace. These clubs put on a show to entertain people, to advertise their clubs to people who may not know they exist. It's all a bit of fun that makes student life more enjoyable. Every club has done something in the courtyard at some stage.

You had made your mind up before those 2 "points".

Porter For President.

I just hope she can compose herself better than you.

I gave my opinions on her, she is now a public figure and open to critism and instead of telling me to stop you need to talk to me and not just accept I wont vote for her.

Seriously, parkour is jumping over metal rails. It is awful, serves no purpose to any facet of college life apart from a cheap excuse at exercise.
    Granted it is fine if there is a need for it like a warzone.

I don't know where you would buy turtle necks these days, my mother stopped wearing those a few years after she put away the leg warmers.

If her friend with the hat was running I would vote for her, class hat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

it is this that epitomises boards, just like the buzz words of making the union more open. It grinds my gears that you would rather bitch about it online when you could easily go up and ask. The same with the bitching of Paddy and him not wanting to grow up, why not go up and ask him why does he keep running.

Where did I bitch. I just made a comment based on what I saw. How do you know I haven't talked to him?
    I think Cathal and Catrionas manifesto are the same strenght but for me, cathal edges it soley because he has the experience of doing the job for the last year.
    Let the sweet battle commence.

Does anyone actually like Parkour apart from the people who do it? I think its really arrogant to be showing off for no reason like in the courtyard a while ago, She loses my vote on those two points.

You bitch about my comment yet you post this. FYI Catriona has nothing to do with Parkour. Please make an informed vote on Thursday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I just hope she can compose herself better than you.

I gave my opinions on her, she is now a public figure and open to critism and instead of telling me to stop you need to talk to me and not just accept I wont vote for her.

Seriously, parkour is jumping over metal rails. It is awful, serves no purpose to any facet of college life apart from a cheap excuse at exercise.
    Granted it is fine if there is a need for it like a warzone.

I don't know where you would buy turtle necks these days, my mother stopped wearing those a few years after she put away the leg warmers.

If her friend with the hat was running I would vote for her, class hat though.

To be fair ikionm, these "reasons" not to vote for her are as idiotic as supackofidiots saying he's not voting for the Kayak Club members who are running.

Seriously, if you're basing your vote on what clubs/societies a candidate is a member of, or what they're wearing, you really should consider whether you are mature enough to vote.

(and FTR, I don't care whether you vote for her or not, I just think those are stupid reasons not to vote for someone)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Without wanting to point particular people out, there will always ALWAYS be some pretty loose reasons given for not voting for someone.

While boards.ie can really bring out the worst in people sometimes (trolling, which to be fair is an art - when it's done right) but I also believe in giving readers and lurkers the credit of assumed intelligence to not allow themselves to be influenced by glib reasons to vote no.

For all candidates, there are truly significant reasons to vote yes. Far more and far more substantial reasons to chose your candidate by what they are committing to.

Some things people will promise and it may never materialise; other things I think are visionary and are a new interpretation on what the roles can include and convey. For me, that's why Emma Porter and Catriona O'Dhonnchu (spelling?!) stand out.

From Catriona's manifesto it particularly interests me that the Asist course is being suggested. The age group at college is particularly at risk of suicide - something which has far less emphasis put on it than should be (just compare how many deaths there are versus car deaths). Between that and an acute awareness of mental health and the issues that affect people.....

From Emma's manifesto there is an commitment to research and propose a FabLab. Anyone who is in engineering/architecture/product design/computing/business/manymanyothercourses who doesn't know what that is should take a look - it's quite simply the future of manufacturing and it's a long time since something as significant has been proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mod note (call it an appeal, call it a warning):

Before this gets really bitchy and stupid (it's already done the latter, though some participants are far, far, more at fault than others), I'll remind you all of two things:
    Firstly, silly as election commenting can be at times (case in point if you go a number of posts up the page), try to be less silly. Relevant information is whether someone has good proposals, as well as the intent and ability to carry them out. Most other things aren't particularly relevant. There's already been far too much commentary on people "looking like they have aspergers" (no, I've no idea what that looks like, I assume something else was meant), turtlenecks, hair and so on. It wouldn't be acceptable or relevant to talk about the size of a candidate's breasts or penis, whether they were fat or thin or the colour of their skin so I've no idea why it's relevant to talk about other idiotic things as though they're in any way relevant to anything. Post better, be less idiotic, don't make the world think you're a numpty. People don't listen to numpties.
    You don't have a right to post here so don't assume that you'll be able to post here all week if you're intent on making the universe worth less. This still isn't a playground. I don't expect class but I do expect basic cop-on. If you can't provide that or fake it, you have the entirety of the rest of the Internet on which to be silly.

Bit of cop-on, folks. It's surprisingly easy. If you can't do that, well, find a wall and some crayons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

From Catriona's manifesto it particularly interests me that the Asist course is being suggested. The age group at college is particularly at risk of suicide - something which has far less emphasis put on it than should be (just compare how many deaths there are versus car deaths). Between that and an acute awareness of mental health and the issues that affect people.....

The assist course is an extremely valuable thing for people to do as it benefits so many by having even just a few people to be aware of the signs of people suffering from suicidal thoughts. So the encouragement and promotion of this two day course is a good plus for Catriona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Again not voting,
    Haven't looked into what each candidate has to offer,
    Don't have time to either this week...
    I'll let others make that decision for me and won't moan if new board isn't great.
    Hassle-free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Also, if people are re-running, of course whether they managed to do what they said they'd do during the year (and if not, why not) is relevant. As elections go, that's one of the most basic examples of something that should be recognisable using the (apparently esoteric and mystical) concept of common sense.

No, I've no idea which forum poster suggested or expressly claimed that it isn't relevant, but, really... of course it is. Not everything gets done, that's the way of the world, but there should be a real reason why something in a manifesto isn't done or achieved. There's another thread on this forum that someone started about that (edit: it was wnolan1992 and it's here) but it's relevant to this election and discussable here as well, of course.

Quiet enough today. Emma, Catriona and McCoy seem to be the only ones out of the blocks. Paddy is a bit behind but he'll pull back tomorrow. Surprised that Cathal left it so late to release his manifesto which in the end was odd, given the definition of manifesto, as it had a lot of what he did not what he plans on doing. Kennedy and Ronan seem to go for a low budget approach. Rob had a slow start and a quiet table. Foran seem to be a non-starter. Adam was also MIA today probable sorting stuff out.

Also what is Adam LGBT rights angle. Is the SU and/or UL discriminating against LGBTs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Jester252 wrote:
    Quiet enough today. Emma, Catriona and McCoy seem to be the only ones out of the blocks. Paddy is a bit behind but he'll pull back tomorrow. Surprised that Cathal left it so late to release his manifesto which in the end was odd, given the definition of manifesto, as it had a lot of what he did not what he plans on doing. Kennedy and Ronan seem to go for a low budget approach. Rob had a slow start and a quiet table. Foran seem to be a non-starter. Adam was also MIA today probable sorting stuff out.
    most were in the RR, cowering from the weather no doubt;)
    Also what is Adam LGBT rights angle. Is the SU and/or UL discriminating against LGBTs?
    :confused:

freyners wrote: »
    most were in the RR, cowering from the weather no doubt;)

I was up there a few times today and that what I saw
    :confused:

On his poster one of his goals is LGBT rights like you I am :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bumblegum

I wouldn't say that anyone is a sure thing, not even paddy. Remember last year?

It's far too early to tell as there was not much happening today, in my opinion. I hope things pick up tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

Bumblegum wrote: »

It's far too early to tell as there was not much happening today, in my opinion. I hope things pick up tomorrow!

who you like the look of so far?

Bumblegum wrote: »

Paddy was a cert last year from very early on. I'd say he's well on his way to a third term tbh. McCoy has it all to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Because any current sabbat standing for election has to take leave and not use their offices for the week- is there nobody in charge this week? Anarchy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Bumblegum

I talked to Catriona today. She came across very well and seems very passionate about the role. I didn't get a chance to talk to any other candidates today. I would give McCoy a chance - what did paddy win by in the end last year? considering that girl had a very small campaign and was literally an unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 underwood

Because any current sabbat standing for election has to take leave and not use their offices for the week- is there nobody in charge this week? Anarchy!

Yeah, ulsuelect brought that up http://www.ulsuelect.com/2013/2013/03/adam-cathal-and-paddy/ Makes you wonder who comes first.

Perfect opportunity for Inanimate Carbon Rod, Cambridge or Oxford to just walk in and take over.

McMahon new video is up.

A bit better but a lack of preparation can be seen and he didn't use my song

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SpudWinkle

Met with a few of the candidates today, was pretty interesting.

Just to focus on Welfare for a minute, because I reckon Paddy has Education wrapped up, and I didn't get round to all the presidential candidates.

I thought Catríona spoke passionately and her manifesto is brilliant, if not a little mental health focused and, to be honest, over-optimistic in terms of what she could actually get done. She seems like she's really enthusiastic about the job, but I'd be worried that she's taking on far too much with that manifesto.

James' campaign team looked like they were waiting for a bus, not trying to get votes, so I'll leave that point at that.

I saw Cathal's manifesto online earlier and thought it was really impressive. The amount of stuff he did last year was pretty substantial, and speaks for itself. No idea why he didn't have manifestos to hand out, or even posters, which did let him down, but he's obviously done well with the job in the last year. Would have liked to talk to him for a bit longer, but he did seem very enthusiastic.

Catríona is definitely running a stronger campaign based on today, but I think I'm leaning towards Cathal a little bit at the moment regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

McMahon new video is up.

He's not going to be able to last in Hustings. Aside from his seemingly nervous appearance in this video, he talks in terms that are too general and that lack substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AnFecker

McMahon new video is up.

I'm not touching that with a 60-foot-pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

I think James will be destroyed in hustings going by that video

After today I think Catherine is off to a great start.
    But it's early days and I think the week will be a quiet one if the weather stays so cold.

I think McCoy could really put it up to Rockett this year. He seems to have more of a hold on things than Woods did last year and she pushed him all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I think McCoy could really put it up to Rockett this year. He seems to have more of a hold on things than Woods did last year and she pushed him all the way.

You have to be kidding me. With both remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SpudWinkle

I don't know what campaign you're watching, but I'm pretty sure Paddy's manifesto has completely destroyed any chance McCoy had, it's pretty much perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

http://an****ed.blogspot.ie

The creator of this is able to make a few good jokes over the whole election process.

It's early days yet, I'd say tomorrow we'll see a lot more canvassers around throwing shapes and doing damage.

Advertisement