Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AnFecker

Quintis wrote: »
    An ****ed was in very poor taste publicly publishing a private conversation, if the 2nd person wasn't made aware of the conversation being recorded, there are many legal privacy issues here, and to a further extent defamation issues,
    the author is trekking muddy waters here and is in danger of having the blog removed and if Paddy or Cathal took offence could be in serious legal risk, dodgy behaviour brings its consequences regardless of the humorous intent or not, that should have been obvious to the publisher of the blog!

<snip childish insults>
    Nothing was done without the permission of the candidates. If you've been following our work you will see our open invitation to all candidates to conduct an interview. Almost all of them have replied with interest and good humour in taking part. They've been great.

<snip childish insults>

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Seems like someone was hiding something doing these interviews
    AnFecker wrote: »
    Thank you, Captian Obvious.

I'm guessing by this that the An ****ed person didn't make them aware they were being recorded

I'm guessing by this that the An ****ed person didn't make them aware they were being recorded

I suggest you read the reply we just gave you literally right before you said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Quintis have you been following the thing at all?

An F*cked stated they were open to interviewing all candidates.
    I'm sure if cathal or paddy has any problems with an f*cked they would have been aired already

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

It was fairly obviously an interview for the blog. If you look at the questions and answers both make reference to it. Cathal mentions that he thinks they're funny. Did you actually read the article before getting offended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Subutai wrote: »
    It was fairly obviously an interview for the blog. If you look at the questions and answers both make reference to it. Cathal mentions that he thinks they're funny. Did you actually read the article before getting offended?

I never said I was offended, I simply asked the question

An ****ed was in very poor taste publicly publishing a private conversation, if the 2nd person wasn't made aware of the conversation being recorded, there are many legal privacy issues here, and to a further extent defamation issues,
    the author is trekking muddy waters here and is in danger of having the blog removed and if Paddy or Cathal took offence could be in serious legal risk, dodgy behaviour brings its consequences regardless of the humorous intent or not, that should have been obvious to the publisher of the blog!

What question did you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Inanimate Carbon Rod

Handbags, ladies!

I never said I was offended, I simply asked the question

I hope I answered the question satisfactorily. Believe me, An ****ed have great respect for all candidates and have no intention to do something harmful to them.

If you have any other questions please email anfecked@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I know that Paddy made reference yesterday to having an interview with the An****ed people. Might have been here, it was definitely typed somewhere by him. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the interviews were carried out without the knowledge and willing participation of the candidates.

Having said that, what candidates say on the campaign trail is actually reportable. Wouldn't it seem a little odd if Jimmy or Bridie Candidate was saying things but no-one was actually allowed to say what they'd said? I suspect that this would seem odd to most people if this was the case, which it isn't.

A few things I'd like to note. Notification of hustings seems pretty poor. Ideally, it should be a convenient forum for likely voters to see the candidates present themselves, outline their views and proposals and get verbally prodded by people who want to see if they're likely to be competent. Unfortunately, where the candidates are (largely) left to advertise hustings and let people know precisely when and where it's on, most people who attend tend to be supporters of the candidates. There's nothing wrong with the venue (KBG-12 btw) being packed to the rafters with campaigners (the vast majority of whom are students with a vote) but if people don't know where it's on and when it's on, you'll have a small crowd and be missing the group for whom the hustings is most relevant. I'd call that a fail.

Membership of the ERB shouldn't be semi-secret. It's not a big issue (really, it's not) but as the group responsible for the rules and conduct of the elections, they're in an important position with regard to the student body. There's no particular need for a veil of omerta, in fact there's a specific need for a lack of it. I'm sure they're good people, based in part on the people who have identified themselves as being on it but one of the basic principles of simple democracy is reasonable transparency. I don't think it's a big deal but it becomes a slightly bigger deal when there's a veil cast over it. Easy to resolve, that should be done.

I'm not sure why it particularly matters if people are campaigning for two candidates. It's been done since the dawn of time (well, since elections became popular) and it's always been done in student elections so it's a bit odd that it's suddenly an issue for people. If it is, which... well, most people probably haven't noticed and probably don't care. Is this an actual issue for some people? If it is, then it'd be really interesting to find out why. The universe is listening.

As it happens, I took a trip out to UL yesterday as I was hoping to catch up with a few people. I had tea, it was quite nice. I spoke to two candidates: Paddy and Catríona. Paddy I know largely through my own past involvement with the SU, it was a typical howya conversation and mostly nothing to do with the elections or campaigns or the price of cabbages. Had a quick chat with Catríona about what she's hoping to do though. Seems competent, driven and focused. For what it's worth, I don't tend to fling those terms around willly-nilly. Usual disclaimer: other candidates are available. Having said that, student mental health is quite important and has been treated as something of an afterthought by successive administrations over the years (that's not a criticism but it is effectively what's happened). There's nothing wrong with having a theme for the year, as opposed to a theme for a defined week. While getting the regular tasks of the job done as well, of course. Attitudes can take years to change but, as I said elsewhere during this week, even baby steps contribute to a longer journey. And, honestly, mental health is one of those things that all welfare candidates should be focusing on anyway. Being a student can be extremely stressful (as you all know). It's also a privilege and an opportunity but it can be a massive strain on mental health. The college provides services (medical centre, chaplaincy, counselling), pretty much all of which are under-resourced and there's a staggering level of people who drop out of courses for a variety of reasons but one of the major causes is mental stress. Whoever gets the Welfare job needs to take baby steps or, preferably, definite strides towards helping people with that. Individually, in groups or in a continual or periodic information campaign about the resources available both inside and outside the college. So, I think it's important but then I'm not influenced by lollipops.

Personally, I don't particularly care who you vote for or even if you vote. Democracy being what it is, you may as well take part in it in the only way that most people bother (once a year or once every five years for two minutes each time). It's important, even in the local area (and, apart from a residents' committee, there isn't much more local than an SU election) where not burning the building makes it a successful year. It actually is important.

Now, that's just one view. As it happens, it's pretty much correct but it's still just one view.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

sarah o dowd who are the memebers of the erb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Ha.

Not even my name.

Ha.

so you're on the committee, the committee is a public committee, the committee has the power to remove candidates from the election, yet you don't have the courage to tell us who is on the committee. you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Lol.

Your attitude amuses me.
    Your manners amuse me even more.

Yeah, now I'm definitely not saying any more.

how mature. how did you get on that committee ? who can you report the erb to for being unprofessional ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Could the ERB not making them know to the student cause problems with this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

magicherbs wrote: »
    so you're on the committee, the committee is a public committee, the committee has the power to remove candidates from the election, yet you don't have the courage to tell us who is on the committee. you should be ashamed of yourself.

you seem like the kind of person who wears a tinfoil hat so the government cant read your mind.

the erb is like any committee I'm assuming, one person records the minutes and to find out what was discussed you contact them i.e Roisin

ERB
    Example A as to why student distrust the Union.
    But at least someone saw the irony.

Cian Spillane - Sabbatical Rep

Sarah Dowd - Class Reps Council Rep

Eanna Brown - Clubs and Socs Rep

Roisin Monaghan - Class Reps Development Officer

Roisin Lynch - Postgrad Students Union Rep

Liam Guilfoyle - Executive Rep

http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/elections/277-elecref

Thanks to tst

Cian Spillane - Sabbatical Rep

Sarah O' Dowd - Class Reps Council Rep

Eanna Brown - Clubs and Socs Rep

Roisin Monaghan - Class Reps Development Officer

Roisin Lynch - Postgrad Students Union Rep

Liam Guilfoyle - Executive Rep
    http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/elections/277-elecref

How did these pack of jokers get on this Cmte

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Sarah O' Dowd - Class Reps Council Rep

;)

You bitch about not knowing who they are and now you claim they are "jokers". People volunteer for the job, if you think you the better person for it then get off your ass and volunteer next year.

djnr8 wrote: »
    ;)

Send your FYP to TST

What's the process to volunteer no one told me sounds like you have to be in a clique

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ttastic

Mc Coy's interview with an ****ed was awful short no? very little banter too! pitty.

What's the process to volunteer no one told me sounds like you have to be in a clique

Their are all heavily involve in their respective union field. More or likely on first name terms with the sabbats. They don't pick someone who has no experience of the side of the road.

If you took off your tinfoil hat you would know that it is not a clique.

Class reps council picks some of them and roisin works in the su as does the postgrad president.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

some pack of clowns on that erb. wonder which one of them had the knife sharpened for poor rob sheahan??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That's rather unfair, especially when you're referring to people who volunteer.

If you take a look at the list, you'll see which group they're representing (which also nominated them). The groups that nominate people to the ERB are constitutionally mandated (as in "the SU constitution tells us which bodies nominate people to the ERB from their own membership"). If more than one person volunteers from a particular group, the group holds their own selection process (which would usually be a relatively informal vote). The exception with regard to the current list is the sabbatical rep - one full-time SU officer is on the ERB but as they're all re-running in this particular election, obviously they select someone else.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Send your FYP to TST

I will when it's done. I'm sure Stephen Byrne and co. would love to read about Technical Writing :pac:

Advertisement