Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Congrats to TST for finding that information and I'm still at a loss why the SU keep it a secret. I don't see the benefit in hiding this from students.

On a side note: It's a shame that an focal (yes the actual paper of the union not the satire site) has largely been ignored in this entire thread so far. But then I went onto anfocal.ie and saw that the list of canditates were posted up yesterday and that has been it.

Sources of info for me so far for the elections: ThomondStudentTimes and ULSUElect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

reunion wrote: »
    Sources of info for me so far for the elections: ThomondStudentTimes and ULSUElect.

I think Brennan lost his way this year, publishing disgraceful articles and laying the blame for them at John Cambridge's door. I think we all know Cambridge isn't writing those shoddy pieces. That's the sign of a true python, spitting poison out while smiling to your face.
    All I will say to Brennan is that "a coward dies a thousand times, the valiant taste of death but once...."

I think Brennan lost his way this year, publishing disgraceful articles and laying the blame for them at John Cambridge's door. I think we all know Cambridge isn't writing those shoddy pieces. That's the sign of a true python, spitting poison out while smiling to your face.
    All I will say to Brennan is that "a coward dies a thousand times, the valiant taste of death but once...."

Who is Brennan?

Cambridge published them, he writes shoddy things in general. A python sounds like Cambridge tbh, spitting poison out except without the smiling. I'd say Lally lost his way this year and is trying to blame others. Don't you agree Cambridge supackofidiots?

Anyone seen the courtyard lately? Loads of chalk there now!

magicherbs wrote: »
    I was campaigning for someone and approached someone in red raisins and before I could get a word out they told me to **** off.

Quality of student really has slipped

Who are you campaigning for?

I'll just requote the first post of this thread
    As usual, If you are campaigning for a candidate or are a candidate, I expect you to declare that interest if posting.

Who is attending the hustings tonight and is ulfm going to record it?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

In fairness, i've been tempted to tell campaigners to f*ck off before

but I have refrained from it.

I have since mastered the "don't bother me look"

either that or obnoxious headphones work well too, or staring at your mobile phone while walking past

• Advertisement

I don't think TST are recording which is a shame, it's usually a fantastic resource

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've dumped most of the most recent page. I suggest that people have a nice spoon of sugar and remember that respect is expected. Equally, respect tends to be earned but I expect people to give it.

Trust me, you all look far less silly with a chunk of posts deleted. Moved them here in the recycle bin. Do not continue this idiocy.
    was investigated by septre and proven based on ip addresses to be a separate entity. You would do well to remember that
    I didn't prove anything. I probably didn't even check. I do know this though: I have a tenuous grasp of what goes on in my mind. No-one else has even that. I wouldn't make claims about anything I've proved unless you're actually me. Water is wet. That's a fact. Most other things are speculation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

Is that a real name? Fair enough. Was campaigning for an issue not a candidate

djnr8 wrote: »
    I don't think TST are recording which is a shame, it's usually a fantastic resource

Particularly for students on coop/erasmus.

It would be nice if you could email questions to canditates too and get them answered (again for coop/erasmus students).

I will also reiterate magicherbs, you have to state who you are campaigning for.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Is that a real name? Fair enough. Was campaigning for an issue not a candidate

and what issue would that be ?

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    I've dumped most of the most recent page. I suggest that people have a nice spoon of sugar and remember that respect is expected. Equally, respect tends to be earned but I expect people to give it.

Trust me, you all look far less silly with a chunk of posts deleted.

I didn't prove anything. I probably didn't even check. I do know this though: I have a tenuous grasp of what goes on in my mind. No-one else has even that. I wouldn't make claims about anything I've proved unless you're actually me. Water is wet. That's a fact. Most other things are speculation.

Well someone did, do a search

Tighearnan wrote: »
    and what issue would that be ?

Noyb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

reunion wrote: »
    Particularly for students on coop/erasmus.

It would be nice if you could email questions to canditates too and get them answered (again for coop/erasmus students).

I will also reiterate magicherbs, you have to state who you are campaigning for.

Are ULFM not recording it or is that live. Also will there be videos put up like the last couple of years.

Noyb

So you are campaigning for something but in secret? bound to be a success :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I swear to God, I f*cking hate elections...
    If I want information, I'll ask for it, if you give me a leaflet, I'll take it gracefully, might even read it later, but I don't like being approached and dragged into a conversation I clearly couldn't care less about.
    Too nice to walk away in the majority of cases too.
    When I'm either walking by, or sitting down drinking coffee, it's not because I'm waiting for someone to approach and strike up a conversation, generally I'm in the middle of something, that's just been interrupted.
    In fairness, this year haven't had much of it, but that's because I've steered clear of RR.
    Hopefully will be done and dusted after tomorrow.

Can you not put that n the bitch and moaning thread

Can you not put that n the bitch and moaning thread

HA

See that warning up the page about not continuing the idiocy, folks?

That was meant for everyone. You are not exempt from it, regardless of how big your hobby horse is. Problem with a post if you reckon it's outside the rules? That's what the report button is for. I have a ban button. If you'd rather not take a 24-hour ban (or longer) on the eve of election day, I would bear that in mind. No-one owes you a platform. Use the one that's provided to you wisely. No, I don't think you're special.

If you want to re-enact Mean Girls, you can do that but not here.

Is there any recording of the hustings happening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Relevant to both.
    Judging with the majority of the stuff that you've came out with on here,
    You really can't talk...
    It was posted as a response to walking up to someone trying to campaign.
    Whereas telling someone to f off is a little harsh,
    Sometimes it's the only way people understand.

I would however like to see a recording of the hustlings later,
    Always a good watch,
    So I'll second question above...
    Thanks

• Advertisement

G
    O
    O
    D

T
    O

K
    N
    O
    W

I swear to God, I f*cking hate elections...
    If I want information, I'll ask for it, if you give me a leaflet, I'll take it gracefully, might even read it later, but I don't like being approached and dragged into a conversation I clearly couldn't care less about.
    Too nice to walk away in the majority of cases too.
    When I'm either walking by, or sitting down drinking coffee, it's not because I'm waiting for someone to approach and strike up a conversation, generally I'm in the middle of something, that's just been interrupted.
    In fairness, this year haven't had much of it, but that's because I've steered clear of RR.
    Hopefully will be done and dusted after tomorrow.
    You're really going to hate tomorrow, I'm afraid. Usually "sorry, don't care" is enough. The "sorry" part is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Had someone block me today. I got past and told them I'm in a rush. Than the say "Ya you walk away". I had to stop myself some smacking them down.

I gather that by arriving late and missing the VP/Academic hust, I missed out on a 5-minute debate about whether blinds in the library are an academic issue (or, specifically, an issue for the SU Academic Office, which isn't precisely the same as "academic", of course) or not. That must have been fascinating.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I gather that by arriving late and missing the VP/Academic hust, I missed out on a 5-minute debate about whether blinds in the library are an academic issue (or, specifically, an issue for the SU Academic Office, which isn't precisely the same as "academic", of course) or not. That must have been fascinating.

It's a very important issue in the grand scheme of things though. Was a little disappointed that it ONLY lasted five minutes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Concy B

Is anyone tweeting from hustings so I can continue lying to myself that I'm getting FYP work done instead of being at the hust?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Concy B wrote: »
    Is anyone tweeting from hustings so I can continue lying to myself that I'm getting FYP work done instead of being at the hust?

TST and An Focal are. #voteul

It's always amusing when a question to the presidential candidates about what they'd do in the event of something bad happening gets clarified as "if something unsavoury" happened.

You can use your own imaginations about what "something unsavoury" might be. Giant jelly babies aren't savoury, they're rather sweet. Giant tacos are savoury and we all remember the Great Taco Invasion of 1942.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

spectre have you got your knitting needles and kit this year at the hustings?

• Advertisement

It's always amusing when a question to the presidential candidates about what they'd do in the event of something bad happening gets clarified as "if something unsavoury" happened.

In particular when the person who asked the question was the advocate of one of the most unsavory things to happen in the SU of 2011/12

Also, I believe said person kept other sabbatical officers in the dark on the issue of medical center fees and instead decided to release the information on the front page of an focal.

Trying to stir sh1t is all that was about

Advertisement