Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

who was she trying to catch off guard???

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

For those of us who weren't there and are up to their eyes correcting homework copies... who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Right mammy

In my opinion,

Rockett with Academic, he's well used to this craic and basically said how McCoys points were mostly not an academic matter. Most fun was poked at the whole blinds thing.

(Pity we couldn't aim questions at particular people as I wanted to ask Porter could the blinds be manufactured in the FabLab)

Welfare: Too close to call in my opinion. Catherine said herself about how good a job Cathal has done and I would like to see him continue. I think Catherine would be very good for the job, but I also think she is taking on too much.

McMahon also had a lovely quote; "The foundations may have been laid, but I've spent a long time on building sites and it's not always the man that pours the foundations that builds the walls". Non runner for me though, the other 2 candidates are far superior.

President: Far too close to call in my opinion. They all look like they could be good candidates. Even Tim who I doubted before came across very well. I still don't see the point in this fab lab though. I'll chat to Porter about it tomorrow. Moursy shows how well he knows the place and seems to know the most about the job and has already been working on what most people are promising in their manifestos. Kennedy came across well and I think he made some good points but I think Moursy stood out tiny bit more than the other 3 candidates

Purely my opinion

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

bambismom wrote: »
    For those of us who weren't there and are up to their eyes correcting homework copies... who won?

All IMO of course:

Academic
    McCoy. I think he presented his ideas better, whereas Paddy seemed to talk in circles a bit, and used last year's trick of attacking his opponent's manifesto in his opening remarks again which I again thought was poor form.

Welfare
    Close. Very close. Both Catriona and Cathal came across as having solid ideas. Particularly impressed by the obvious passion Catriona has for mental health issues, and I'm also really in favour of Cathal's North Campus plans.
    As for James, I'm sorry, but for whatever reason he came across as lacking conviction. Didn't seem to have any real ideas and (like Paddy, except much worse) seemed to talk in circles a lot and came across as just trying to run down the clock.

President
    Even closer than Welfare. Still can't choose between them. I think Adam may have lost some votes (for this let's just assume that Hustings matter) with some of his statements. Think if I had to choose a winner of Hustings, I'd go for Kennedy O'Brien, but only marginally.

Best Question of the Night
    "Eh, I have a 2.2 degree. Just wondering if the all the candidates think my degree is worthless?" - Kelly O'Brien :)

Still haven't decided who I'm voting for.

EDIT: In addition, I just want to say how impressed I am with this year's candidates. I think whatever happens tomorrow, we're going to have a really decent Sabbat team next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jorge Mario Bergoglio. He was 40/1 on Paddy Power, for those who follow such things.

No-one was comically bad, for what that's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

djnr8 wrote: »
    Right mammy

That's the third time someone involved in UL politics has called me Mammy since Friday... slightly worrying.

Any terribly cringe-worthy moments?

I heard Tony Sheridan was looking rather spiffy, raging I wasn't there to see.

Can't wait for the last bell in school tomorrow. Shall I see you all tomorrow evening? I presume the results will be announced in the Stables?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Concy B

Wish I could have been at hustings, sounds like we'll be getting **** odds splitting Caitriona and Cathal but I don't think I'll be putting money on James either!

for what it's worth Caitriona finally got around to doing an Interview with AnFcked. Must say she surprised me with this, I didn't think she'd do it at all!

http://www.anf ucked.blogspot.ie/2013/03/interview-with-caitriona-ni-dhonnchu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

I'm less than impressed that I should apparently throw my 2:2 in the bin. Ah well. Not my problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

I'm less than impressed that I should apparently throw my 2:2 in the bin. Ah well. Not my problem :)

Skillpages wont to be pleased to hear they hired someone with a worthless degree :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SpudWinkle

Any terribly cringe-worthy moments?

Nothing absolutely ridiculous, but McMahon did at one point say something along the lines of "we've nearly won the battle against road deaths, but there's a long way to go in terms of mental health" which was a fairly interesting point of view. I wonder if he'd use that line if a student came into him upset about a friend who was killed in a car crash or something :confused:

Thought the two questions from the same person who I won't name were stupid as well, obviously just trying to stir ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

SpudWinkle wrote: »
    Nothing absolutely ridiculous, but McMahon did at one point say something along the lines of "we've nearly won the battle against road deaths, but there's a long way to go in terms of mental health" which was a fairly interesting point of view. I wonder if he'd use that line if a student came into him upset about a friend who was killed in a car crash or something :confused:

Thought the two questions from the same person who I won't name were stupid as well, obviously just trying to stir ****.

I know of the 2.2 one but what was the other?

Jester252 wrote: »
    I know of the 2.2 one but what was the other?

If something bad happened in the union how would you cope with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

SpudWinkle wrote: »

Who, KOB? Knew she wouldn't resist a chance to fire off some barbs.

I reckon the incumbents are all slightly ahead, after hustings.

In saying that though, Darragh for Academic, Catríona for Welfare, and all candidates going up against Adam for President came across very well.

James McMahon, unfortunately, lived up to my expectations. Getting 1,700 hits on a few videos, in a college with a population of 12k(?), isn't exactly what you'd call viral. And, most of those people would have just been mystified if not laughing at the first one.

He was very wishy-washy, whereas the other two had specific topics of conversations and ideas that they put across very well.

I wouldn't be calling that viral either in fairness. Pity Hustings was relatively quite

I remember 2 years ago the room was jammers!
    Nowhere near as much atmosphere without the campaigns office

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Most interested in the presidential race. Who did the best at hustings and how tight will voting be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MK90

Cathals campaign video, and a good one at that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWv8EzGy7lk

He obviously was under pressure to release one so late in the race

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Concy B

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm also really in favour of Cathal's North Campus plans.

I was discussing the merits of this with some of the lads in the computer lab today. I personally believe that this would only serve to isolate them more for a number of reasons. As it is most of the med/nursing students spend a massive amount of time in the Library. If they have an issue or want to call into the SU for anything it's only 100m up from there, not a huge ask really. Having their own office on the NC then they could feel obliged to use there (and feel restricted to the single day a week it's open) rather than use the main SU. Also while some of the students may have their studies based over there many of them wouldn't live that side of the campus and as has been pointed out already, the average age of those courses is typically higher which inherently reduces demand on the student led services.

It's a nice idea but ultimately I don't think it's necessary when there are bigger issues that should be focused on.

Just another thing that Porter mentioned, this app she was on about with getting replies from lecturers?

I think most of her goals are financially unattainable.

Also, do people not know you can request a read/delivery report when sending an e-mail to somebody?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I deleted another five messages (the five most recent ones), which started with an, er, less than worthy to remain in existence one. It's the sort of thing that makes one wonder if a euro per post might be a good idea, though the old adage of a fool being separated from his money might just make it profitable (I could be more diplomatic but, possibly even moreso than earlier in this case, it doesn't particularly deserve sugared diplomacy).

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

In particular when the person who asked the question was the advocate of one of the most unsavory things to happen in the SU of 2011/12

Not true. I attempted to expose an abuse of power that had occured within the SU during my term. I was voted down and basically told shut up about it because no matter the abuse, it would be a bad image for the union as a whole. Then the whole situation was dismissed as "in fighting". To this day I regret the way I handled it. I should have said nothing or said everthing. Instead I muddled somewhere in between which wasn't good for anybody :/

Say what you want, but that's what happened. Those are the facts.
    Also, I believe said person kept other sabbatical officers in the dark on the issue of medical center fees and instead decided to release the information on the front page of an focal.

I was actually one of the last sabbats to know about it. And when I found out, I put it on the front page of the paper so that the rest of UL found out about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

I heard Tony Sheridan was looking rather spiffy, raging I wasn't there to see.

He was looking well in fairness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Not true. I attempted to expose an abuse of power that had occured within the SU during my term. I was voted down and basically told shut up about it because no matter the abuse, it would be a bad image for the union as a whole. Then the whole situation was dismissed as "in fighting". To this day I regret the way I handled it. I should have said nothing or said everthing. Instead I muddled somewhere in between which wasn't good for anybody :/

Say what you want, but that's what happened. Those are the facts.

I was actually one of the last sabbats to know about it. And when I found out, I put it on the front page of the paper so that the rest of UL found out about it.

If you felt so strong why didn't you come straight out with the fact? This rings a bit like Ming

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AnFecker

Limerick Rose has her thorns ;)

I just uploaded the academic hustings for anyone who wasnt there. Apologies for the audio being a bit out of sync, was rushing it when I was exporting :)

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW_W7rMy_t8
    Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuWRUEvREbE&feature=youtu.be

And my computer is acting the ballox and wont upload the president videos. :S :S :S I'll upload them later once I sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Hi All

So the day is upon us - https://vote.ulsu.ie/index.php/

I hope you vote for me -I have had a very strong year in office and I'm very proud of how the office has been developed over the past year. We brought the Union back from a tough time and still managed to deliver great representation and explore developing the offices.

Its been a long road to get to the point where the office is now moving into development rather than change. Im very excited by the prospects of the next year and hope you choose me to serve you as VP Academic this year.

Thanks to everyone for their support over the past year and best of luck to all candidates -You should all be very proud.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Can we get a "Who are you voting for" poll on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShhCat

Just another thing that Porter mentioned, this app she was on about with getting replies from lecturers?
    To be fair, apps are ridiculously easy to code. I'm taking an App Development module this semester and we make about 5 apps per 2 hour lab a week. While what she's talking about would be slightly more complicated, with a team of UX Designers, Programmers, Usability Evalutors, it could be done in a week. By who? CSIS students would jump at the opportunity to get another piece of work for their portfolio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

ShhCat wrote: »
    To be fair, apps are ridiculously easy to code. I'm taking an App Development module this semester and we make about 5 apps per 2 hour lab a week. While what she's talking about would be slightly more complicated, with a team of UX Designers, Programmers, Usability Evalutors, it could be done in a week. By who? CSIS students would jump at the opportunity to get another piece of work for their portfolio.

ShhCat - you've spotted exactly the kind of answer to exactly that "financially questionable" bit that Emma herself expected some to interpret the plans as.

For my part - I'm currently on a scholarship doing MIT's fab academy and have been a part of getting detail to Emma about the FabLab concept.

A few points to note on that particular idea:
    Emma is committing not to building a FabLab but to developing a comprehensive proposal for a FabLab. This proposal will explore funding routes of which there are many.
    One of the hardest things to get across about a FabLab is just how relevant they are to design and manufacturing. Anyone who recognises this much will see that getting that across to a funding source pretty much sells the idea by itself.

Emma recognises the potential for students in UL though and while the sabbat term is 12 months, she also knows that some projects can be done in a modular way so she knows that:
    It's not realistic to promise a fablab in a 12 month term
    It is realistic to commit to a comprehensive proposal
    By creating a comprehensive proposal and having that complete in 12 months, there would exist a completed job, ready for the next step - the ball would be rolling already.

Advertisement