Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

scheister wrote: »
    this 2:2 degree thing of adams seems to have gotten legs and gone the other way. I spoke to adam about this issue as it somethings that effects me as i ended up with a 2:2 degree so im back doing a masters trying to get the 2:1. When i spoke to Adam about this he is not talking about all courses needing this but some of them. Accounting and Law been a big 2. There are very few companies that will take on trainee accountants without a 2:1 degree. What he is looking at here is people on a QCA of 2.9-2.99 that might get bumped up depending on the board and of course the people on 2.95+ have a better change. He want other things like the PVA to be taken into account in helping people get bumped up where is the issue with that. Before people attack me i was not campaigning for anyone but did vote Adam in the end as he had the best policies from what i could see.

Adam pretty much made this point at the Hust but it seems to have been overlooked.

When KOB asked about it, he clarified that he was talking about Law and Accounting primarily.

Major overreaction to it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It was a comment that could have very easily caused offence to be honest, and he has not yet personally clarified the situation here or on Facebook as of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

He got in touch with me to clarify his position and I told him he ought to make it more public that he'd been quoted out of context. It would appear he didn't have time for that in any case and sure what's done is done now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It was a comment that could have very easily caused offence to be honest, and he has not yet personally clarified the situation here or on Facebook as of now.

But he clarified at the Hust?

He said (paraphrasing) "I was talking about Accounting and Law where you won't even be considered for jobs in the top companies without a 2.1."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭sigmund.jung

i don't think the sabbats are allowed post on boards anymore after last year. but i see rockett flaunted that a couple of times.

• Advertisement

i don't think the sabbats are allowed post on boards anymore after last year. but i see rockett flaunted that a couple of times.
    Sure Adam and Cathal both posted as well. And what's really wrong with it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Loads of them have been posting here all week.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    But he clarified at the Hust?

He said (paraphrasing) "I was talking about Accounting and Law where you won't even be considered for jobs in the top companies without a 2.1."

I'm on co-op so wasn't there. What exactly was he talking about people with a 2.2

Chavways wrote: »

didn't notice adam or cathal's post but aven't read entire thread

I'm on co-op so wasn't there. What exactly was he talking about people with a 2.2

He was talking about negotiating with the University about the discretionary bands when it comes to awarding degrees. Saying that he would continue to work with them to try and make sure more people who are just shy of the 2.1 would be awarded it because "for some people if you get a 2.2 you've wasted four years." That comment caused a stir, and during questions he clarified that it was Law and accounting.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    He was talking about negotiating with the University about the discretionary bands when it comes to awarding degrees. Saying that he would continue to work with them to try and make sure more people who are just shy of the 2.1 would be awarded it because "for some people if you get a 2.2 you've wasted four years." That comment caused a stir, and during questions he clarified that it was Law and accounting.

I'm in business with accounting major and will most likely get a 2.2 but I do get his point. However, I don't think it was appropriate to say that in a public forum

I'm in business with accounting major and will most likely get a 2.2 but I do get his point. However, I don't think it was appropriate to say that in a public forum

I agree it wasn't the best thing to say (much like KOB's remark about suicide last year), but (like last year) I think this is being blown out of all proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

As a guy who does L&A I'll give my experience. On my offer It specifically says 2:1 is the minimum i need to fulfill the terms of my offer. This requirement is also in a lot of my friends contracts also. So Adam is right on the money about it, the difference of 0.05 of a qca can have a huge effect on someones life.

This point got twisted very quickly. KOB from what I heard made an issue of it, (for what its worth, I wasn't there and it might have been phrased badly) but when Adam clarified it that should have been the end of it. Its not exactly a secret that some lines of employment look for a high QCA, some look for a portfolio of work, some will hire based on your work history, some will hire from a combination of all three and some will judge on other factors I haven't mentioned. Some degrees also lend themselves to averaging on a higher final qca than others due to the nature of the work in the degree. I don't like how its been spread as something else and its quite a nasty thing to do. Then again this is election week and that tends to bring out the worst in some.

interesting factoids, Paddy Rockett went to Crescent College, a jesuit school, trained as a chemistry teacher and went on to become sabbatical officer

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, is a jesuit, went to chemistry technical college and went onto become pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

When are the results out! Hope I have better luck picking a winner than on Cheltenham this week 😄

freyners wrote: »
    As a guy who does L&A I'll give my experience. On my offer It specifically says 2:1 is the minimum i need to fulfill the terms of my offer. This requirement is also in a lot of my friends contracts also. So Adam is right on the money about it, the difference of 0.05 of a qca can have a huge effect on someones life.

This point got twisted very quickly. KOB from what I heard made an issue of it, (for what its worth, I wasn't there and it might have been phrased badly) but when Adam clarified it that should have been the end of it. Its not exactly a secret that some lines of employment look for a high QCA, some look for a portfolio of work, some will hire based on your work history, some will hire from a combination of all three and some will judge on other factors I haven't mentioned. Some degrees also lend themselves to averaging on a higher final qca than others due to the nature of the work in the degree. I don't like how its been spread as something else and its quite a nasty thing to do. Then again this election week and that tends to bring out the worst in some.
    Agreed but some people took it that if you have 2.2 you have wasted 4 years of your life doing your degree. That's absolutely not whatAdam meant but its how it came across.
    For me doing accounting, I think the way forward is a masters which I believe you can get in UL with a 2.2 and hope that it will make companies see past a 2.2 undergrad.

interesting factoids, Paddy Rockett went to Crescent College, a jesuit school, trained as a chemistry teacher and went on to become sabbatical officer

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, is a jesuit, went to chemistry technical college and went onto become pope.

also just found out on twitter than rockett's middle name is francis and bergoglio took francis as his pope name

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Where was the fb exit poll being advertised? I can't vote so was it at the polling stations or did it show up once you voted online?

Peck3277 wrote: »
    Where was the fb exit poll being advertised? I can't vote so was it at the polling stations or did it show up once you voted online?

on tst, link is back a few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

freyners wrote: »

on tst, link is back a few pages

Yea i saw the poll alright. Just curious to the accuracy of it. 10% sample size would usually give a very good representation, not sure of this one spread across all demographics of students though :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Chavways wrote: »

And like any good politician they won't be back until next year looking for votes

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Jester252 wrote: »
    And like any good politician they won't be back until next year looking for votes

To be fair, there are plenty of other mediums for which Sabbats can interact with the student body and here would not be one of the main ones.

The history of abuse that a lot people have been subjected to on here as well you wouldn't blame them. Discussions don't need to happen on boards, I wouldn't judge any sabbat by their interaction with this forum.

That being said I'm dying to hear the results, working in Plassey so can't at the Stables >,< I'm assuming there will be boardsies present, keep us posted yeh?

EDIT: I'll combine all three posts for convenience now:

Paddy Rockett wins Academic.

Catriona Ni Dhonnchu wins Welfare.

Emma Porter wins President.

Thanks TST.

Counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Thank god. Do you have any numbers?

Looks like PR pulled a DD and the most unsavory character got reelected. congrats to emma and caitriona hope they put a leash on him

Congrats to all involved

I.was supporting Kennedy so a bit disappointed. Anyone got figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Looks like PR pulled a DD and the most unsavory character got reelected. congrats to emma and caitriona hope they put a leash on him

Why don't people like him? I'm not much into politics in UL and I've only heard the odd anecdote.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    Why don't people like him? I'm not much into politics in UL and I've only heard the odd anecdote.

If I told you, you wouldn't believe me and it would look like libel. I actually like him though, top bloke, got me a taxi once for free to go into town drinking

Advertisement