Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

You are bonkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

You're so, so, so Bitter. Like a lemon.
    Cheer up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cut it out the pair of ye.

Move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I backed thirteen players for the Open Championship.
    My idea is to lay those players (and make a profit) if their price drops substantially.

My one tip at a big price is Jim Furyk at 420 on Betfair.
    He is 49 years old.
    Furyk shot a 59 (2013) and a 58 (2016) in PGA Tour events.
    He has four 4th place Open finishes and one 5th place finish.
    He won the US Open in 2003.
    He has had 23 top 10 finishes in golf Majors.

Jim Furyk 2019 PGA Tour stats:
    196th in driving distance
    2nd in driving accuracy
    10th in greens in regulation
    10th in scoring average
    12th in scrambling
    His last win was in 2015, but in 2019 he has had a 6th, 9th, 2nd.
    He also had a 13th place finish in May 2019, finishing with a 73 (4 over back nine). If he had a level par back nine he would have finished 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

[QUOTE= If he had a level par back nine he would have finished 3rd.[/QUOTE]

If me Mother had balls...................might sneak a place this year alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Jumping on the cheeseburger train this morning 5 places @28s

Also doing an each way double with stenson for next week 6 places @33s

4/1 fav now cheeseburger can still get 33s about stenson expecting that to drop soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

If me Mother had balls...................might sneak a place this year alright
    There is an interesting analysis on the internet about golf majors at new courses/courses not visited for years, only twelve courses.
    It found that the winners at these "new" courses were almost always players at the top of the world golf rankings (OWGR).
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/british-open-2019-who-does-a-new-major-venue-favor-an-analysis-gives-emphatic-answer

But the Open often throws up a shock winner, or an outsider who goes close:
    2010 Oosthuizen 500/1; 2009 Cink; 2004 Todd Hamilton; 2003 Ben Curtis; 1999 Paul Lawrie (Van De Velde 2nd playoff); 1998 Brian Watts 2nd (playoff); 1995 Daly 80/1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Fair play to McCoy great shout on the weis.

I'd got on Stenson before his post but its another great shout imo

He was lights out T-G at the scottish open, he only had one blemish on the card.

He is using his driver very well now which shows he has a lot of confidence in his game.

And from what I watched he must have lost massively SG putting this week.

This should improve anyways and the faster greens may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Fair play to McCoy great shout on the weis.

I'd got on Stenson before his post but its another great shout imo

He was lights out T-G at the scottish open, he only had one blemish on the card.

He is using his driver very well now which shows he has a lot of confidence in his game.

And from what I watched he must have lost massively SG putting this week.

This should improve anyways and the faster greens may help.

Yeah to finish -19 with the way he putted shows his game is flourishing bit of fine tuning with the flat stick and he could be bang there. Cost myself a few places only getting 6 but 28s is his best price now.

Fowler is drifting to a very attractive price too had a poor Thursday but was decent Friday and got a look at the course over the weekend has shown a liking for the links before. 35/1 with pp looks quite large for a player of his class.

They will be my main darts for this week may pick out another 2 big priced players for a small ew. Knox has caught my eye so far 150/1 with pp

• Advertisement

I might be a sucker but I do like a bit of Hao Tong li, I've bet him twice already this season so that will be enough for me.

But he showed good form at the Irish open and while he missed the cut at the scottish open he did shoot -6 day 2 and had his first bogey free round of the season. He is an absolute hoor for doubles though I dont know how he manages it at times. He has a 3rd and 39th at the open in 2 starts.

He isn't afraid of the big stage making 8/9 cuts in majors, and has battled it out with DJ, Rose and Rory in European/Asain events over the last year and a bit.

Still 125/1 on 365 if anyones interested.

I'm not doing anything else myself until I can be sure on the weather, the market has moved loads over the last 2 weeks with anyone making a decent run at IO or scottish getting hammered in

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stenson @ 28's
    lowry @ 45's
    Bjerregaard @ 150's
    Bezuidenhout @ 250's

and a PP special of Fleetwood or rose to win @ 14's

sydthebeat wrote: »
    This is decent @15.0 (14/1).

And if you throw in Sky's offer (if still available): McIlroy or Koepka to win @5.50 (short, but available as a mixed line seleciton on e/w accas).
    It allows one to ignore these four when looking for better value wildcards, or an enhanced (win only) on Rahm.

PP's 1stRL market is 8pl, Spieth@56, Hattan@81 both potentially both good prices.

Only 2 days, 8hrs and 37mins to go folks.

Anyone ever use Betway? Good offer they have for open but wondering is it worth opening an account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

After witnessing the performance of Rahm at Lahinch i decided i could not oppose him for the Open.

Took the 14s with PP 10 places ew.

Only other bet is Wu to be top amateur,his resilience in qualifying for the Open and the US open marks him out as something really special.

His approach to the Open, the courses he is playing in the run up to it and the fact that an amateur has not qualified for the two opens in this way since our own Joe Carr did it in the 1960s or thereabouts made him a good bet at 2s imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Cantlay as my main bet
    Gone for both Rose & Scott in the Enhanced Win only market
    And Olesen And Haotong Li as my each way outsiders.

As with most others, I'm keeping a bit for in-play betting.
    Rahm & Hebert both came from way back over the last few Sundays and will try and pick their equivalent this week

Betway paying out if your player leads after any round so gone with the following

Stenson
    Fleetwood
    Pepperall
    Harrington
    All each way

Rory win only is a bet to nothing aswell.

Might add a couple more as they have also matched my deposit as a bonus so a few quid to play with.

There was a few I was looking at a frl but may just back them outright with this offer aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Weisberger first round leader @55/1

I was going to back Mickelson @ 100/1 but he said himself yesterday he has pretty much no chance so am going with the following

Fowler @ 33/1
    Matt Wallace @ 40/1
    Van Rooyen @100/1
    Harrington e/w @ 175/1
    Robert Macintyre e/w @ 200/1

small stakes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Anyone ever use Betway? Good offer they have for open but wondering is it worth opening an account

limit you very quickly , good prices though

limit you very quickly , good prices though

If I get a winner this weekend out of them I be happy enough to get limited

• Advertisement

If I get a winner this weekend out of them I be happy enough to get limited

hope you clean them out of it :D

having a pop at Zander 1st rd leader

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Weisberger first round leader @55/1

I was going to back Mickelson @ 100/1 but he said himself yesterday he has pretty much no chance so am going with the following

Fowler @ 33/1
    Matt Wallace @ 40/1
    Van Rooyen @100/1
    Harrington e/w @ 175/1
    Robert Macintyre e/w @ 200/1

small stakes

Solid start for Macintyre

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

Anyone know what price was McIlroy not to make the cut? Did PP offer this market before the start of the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Gone with Stenson e/w

PP's 1stRL market is 8pl, Spieth@56, Hatton@81 both potentially both good prices.
    Spieth started very well, but finished R1 less so, due to a double-bogey on 8th.

nPDXtEJ.png

Hattan@81.0 was maybe priced +20%, however even finishing R1 at T3 (with over a dozen others) diminishes any value, via deadheat rules*.
    *roughly 5. 78 on the place-part.

Betway paying out if your player leads after any round so gone with the following

Stenson
    Fleetwood
    Pepperall
    Harrington
    All each way

Rory win only is a bet to nothing aswell.

Might add a couple more as they have also matched my deposit as a bonus so a few quid to play with.

There was a few I was looking at a frl but may just back them outright with this offer aswell

Decent each way returns on Fleetwood 28/1 and 25/1. Gave me a good sweat but hard to cheer against Lowry

Thought stenson was gona place aswell at one stage be unfortunately not.

Profit for the week though so can't complain

With at least 6 books are offering 10pl on this, have 'Fleetwood' as an early selection...

Main early (10+days ago) selection came in 2nd, best price on this (with 10pl) was only ever @26, unless choosing to avail of '365 who were better (31).

Hattan did R1L at good price (81), but value likely smashed with the deadheat.

Was really looking for 300/1 type value in the way of Clarke R1, and couple others, even higher in live markets.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stenson @ 28's
    lowry @ 45's. :D
    Bjerregaard @ 150's
    Bezuidenhout @ 250's

Thank you Shane you beauty!!

Happy enough with the others performances.... I think Tommy F has the ability to win a major someday and this experience with stand to him.

Lucas B played beyond his odds too... Top 20 finish.

Stenson could have had a top 10 finish but lost interest on the back nine

• Advertisement

Thank you Shane you beauty!!

Happy enough with the others performances.... I think Tommy F has the ability to win a major someday and this experience with stand to him.

Lucas B played beyond his odds too... Top 20 finish.

Stenson could have had a top 10 finish but lost interest on the back nine

Great shout well done.

I think Stenson finished on the hardest holes in the worst conditions.

Also shanked it on 18 and broke his club, so he was emotionally invested at least :D

Advertisement