Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Folks, is this proper snow? All I'm seeing today is small dusty snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Sacramento wrote: »
    Confirming this, very heavy snow.

double confirming :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Enjoy it for what it is, certainly don't expect any depth of snow lying at low levels today, it's violent, squally, short-lived and messy, and exactly what I would have expected for mid March.
    I'll take it! It's more than I got in the entire winter of 2011-12 and Dec, Jan and Feb this winter. I think there's a few more hours of this from what I can see on the radar but anyone who compares this to Dec 2010 will be inevitably disappointed. I'm not sure what you mean by "what I expect for mid March" when we can't get anything in Jan and Feb?
    (not saying you dopolahpec compared this to '10)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

red_bairn wrote: »
    Just washing powder blowing around my back garden - here in Greystones. :D

Yeah, my missus just said. "That stuff blowing around just looks like fake snow, if you saw that on a film you'd piss yerself laughing at how fake it looks!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Nice proper heavy shower of real snow lasted bout ten mins now the dam sun is back out grrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Miniscule flakes falling in Cork City....

although something is coming as i type :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Squally shower just hitting Waterford city now, horizontal snow with the wind :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I'll take it! It's more than I got in the entire winter of 2011-12 and Dec, Jan and Feb this winter. I think there's a few more hours of this from what I can see on the radar but anyone who compares this to Dec 2010 will be inevitably disappointed. I'm not sure what you mean by "what I expect for mid March" when we can't get anything in Jan and Feb?
    (not saying you dopolahpec compared this to '10)

Really what I am skirting around is that if I had just read the Met Eireann forecast for snow showers I would have expected what I am seeing now, short lived graupel fest that is melting almost as fast as it is falling. I am comparing that expectation to what I might have expected from MT's forecast which was significantly more detailed and substantive on the issue of lying snow, of some depth, explosive developments, great lake effect, etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stephen8wood

And....it's over. Ah well. In a couple of months the rainy season starts again.

Am I wrong in saying that for a decent dollop of snow we need colder ground temps, sustained snow and a hell of a lot of other things to boot...which we don't have today or for therest of the year for that matter. Save's one the lecky bill anyway lads. Cheer up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The "real snow" claims are amusing. Proper cold sticky snow is small and fluffy not big. Big means wet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I see ME have dropped from "Orange" to "Yellow" warning status also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You jinxed it :o

Sorry about that!

Very small dry flakes on the wind.

And....it's over. Ah well. In a couple of months the rainy season starts again.

Am I wrong in saying that for a decent dollop of snow we need colder ground temps, sustained snow and a hell of a lot of other things to boot...which we don't have today or for therest of the year for that matter. Save's one the lecky bill anyway lads. Cheer up.

I just think it had to have happened last night. The sun is hot in march. If some had stuck last night then the cover would be added to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The "real snow" claims are amusing. Proper cold sticky snow is small and fluffy not big. Big means wet.
    Not really, it's a crude rule of thumb.

Next March we will be praying for -16 uppers if anything is coming from the east, it seems -12 aren't delivering the wow factor.

Apart from WOW -12 uppers ha ha

Wonder will it thicken up in the late afternoon? For some reason I always remember streamers beefing up after 3pm. Empiric as that may sound and all

Not really, it's a crude rule of thumb.

Generally. Watch a movie of a proper blizzard - like in the American mid west. There are no large flakes falling slowly.

And this:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2008/01/the_cause_of_big_flakes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

The weather station Shows -1.1 degrees with wind chill of - 7.2 degrees.
    NNE 34kph wind. I can see the streamers coming in from the Irish sea from North of Dublin right the way down to central/ South Dublin.

The orientation of the streamers is changing all the time, they are moving further south.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wonder will it thicken up in the late afternoon? For some reason I always remember streamers beefing up after 3pm. Empiric as that may sound and all

Problem is that pressure is rising all the time, so I would not be surprised if this is as good as it gets?

Just had a blizzard of fine powder snow. -0.6c DP -2.6c atm.

clearly the cork snow shield is up :mad:

• Advertisement

Must resist....... That's what she said joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy in Naas now and turning everything white!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

still snowing here in citywest

will all the grumpy snow deprived people please log off its only 11am we have all day lighten up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Wow, it just got pretty heavy here (near Kilmanagh Co.Kilkenny)
    Seems to be much more cloud in store too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The orientation of the streamers is changing all the time, they are moving further south.
    More south please! We're in the shadow :(

paddy ocon wrote: »
    still snowing here in citywest

will all the grumpy snow deprived people please log off its only 11am we have all day lighten up

kinda hard, when we SEE dublin and the east coast getting ALL the snow again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭R.F.

I dont actually blame the snow for not falling in bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    kinda hard, when we SEE dublin and the east coast getting ALL the snow again :(

Thems the breaks I'm afraid.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Snowing in Limerick City but not sticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The lightest of flurries in Cork. it's something I suppose!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement