Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

as I expected late last night this did not amount to a whole lot and now firmly under that annoying IOM Shadow with strong sunshine that is melting the lying snow. There was about 1-2 inchs here this morning, much of that is gone now except in shaded areas of the garden.

The intensity of the showers just wasn't there, I can still see from the lying snow that it was all that light dusty snow and graupal. If those showers were properly beefy we would have been under at least 5 to 6 inchs of snow.

Not expecting too much from the rest of this but I may go under the final streamer moving down from the north over next few hours before it exits to the south. Still tho it's March and it's the most snow ive seen since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

hold up. light flurries falling in cork city. yay!!!! bigger flurries would be great now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Is anyone getting proper flakes of snow rather than the washing powder crap?

No flakes at all just powder crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

look whats going to waste over the English Channel, they must be going berserk on NW!
    something heading for the Dublin area by the look of this- nothing too heavy but at least it will stop the sun coming out (a very in depth meteorological analysis )

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Batesy wrote: »
    Yeah, my missus just said. "That stuff blowing around just looks like fake snow, if you saw that on a film you'd piss yerself laughing at how fake it looks!"

:D

That reminds me of when somebody told me on a filmset that the fake snow for King Arthur (in the Wicklow mountains) was dissolved by real snow that started falling :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

anyone know when this is supposed to permanently stop, i know we will have a few more showers, but is that it then, past this afternoon, no more snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

sunbabe08 wrote: »

kinda hard, when we SEE dublin and the east coast getting ALL the snow again :(

I wouldn't be too worried. There really is hardly anything in Dublin of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

look whats going to waste over the English Channel, they must be going berserk on NW!
    something heading for the Dublin area by the look of this- nothing too heavy but at least it will stop the sun coming out (a very in depth meteorological analysis )

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    A very accurate one at least!! We want the sun to shine on the Irish Sea only, and then the sky needs to mysteriously cloud over the east coast (with sun for the places that won't see snow anyway).

Will it happen? Nah.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A very accurate one at least!! We want the sun to shine on the Irish Sea only, and then the sky needs to mysteriously cloud over the east coast (with sun for the places that won't see snow anyway).

Will it happen? Nah.

We also need the Isle of Man to magically dissappear like the island in LOST and place it in the north sea or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Gonzo wrote: »

We also need the Isle of Man to magically dissappear like the island in LOST and place it in the north sea or something.
    That would be awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried. There really is hardly anything in Dublin of note.

I'll second that. Theres a conveyor coming right in to Dun Laoghaire and all we're getting is intermittent flurries, sticking only in a few flower beds. The near gale NE'ly is making the sea conditions far more interesting than the snow. East Pier is closed to walkers due to the massive breakers coming over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 11am reports around the country are very impressive, quite a lot of areas still below freezing. It could be the coldest day of Winter '11/12 falling on 11th March !!
    I would expect showers to beef up a bit now with the sun aiding convection for rest of day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

So in a fit of bravery, I went out golfing this morning in Portmarnock

This:
    20130311103452.jpg

Became this in the space of 10 minutes before they closed the course
    20130311104323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stephen8wood

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll second that. Theres a conveyor coming right in to Dun Laoghaire and all we're getting is intermittent flurries, sticking only in a few flower beds. The near gale NE'ly is making the sea conditions far more interesting than the snow. East Pier is closed to walkers due to the massive breakers coming over the top.

Now that's weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some cb's visible to my north now, convection starting up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

How right do people think MT was on this?
    He often spoke of the explosive effect on these streamers but tbh, it to me feels as if we've not got that just yet?

Is it early days yet or has the window of opportunity passed?

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    He often spoke of the explosive effect on these streamers but tbh, it to me feels as if we've not got that just yet?

The shower train is weakening rapidly on the radar. Extremely fragmented looking now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sun and snow now. Is it possible to get a snowbow? :)

-0.6 DP -3.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The shower train is weakening rapidly on the radar. Extremely fragmented looking now.

It isn't weakening, it is shifting to a more norherly direction though. That is good for me as any streamers have a longer fetch for my location

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stephen8wood

The 11am reports around the country are very impressive, quite a lot of areas still below freezing. It could be the coldest day of Winter '11/12 falling on 11th March !!
    I would expect showers to beef up a bit now with the sun aiding convection for rest of day

Eh........na. You have seen the worst of it all ready. Cold, grey, sleety, drippy from here on I'm afraid. The lying snow is over for another nine months. Just think....from "Would you like a dance darlin? to "Waa Waa Waa..get the nappies" for some before the snow hits us again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Short bursts out here all morning but no prolonged spells. For us to get a layer firmly on the ground, we'd need showers for an hour or something. It's just meltin' away here..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Does it really matter ?

People always trying to attribute blame/success .

In MTs case he is very humble when rite and takes it on the chin if it didnt go the way he foresees .

As a society we turn everything into a competition , lets just enjoy what the weather is doing as we have no control over what it will do .

Not aimed at the op just the boards in general

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

-3 in Casement at 11 am in March, not bad.

0c here, just had an aggressive horizontal snow shower. They go as quick as they come.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    It isn't weakening, it is shifting to a more norherly direction though. That is good for me as any streamers have a longer fetch for my location

To my eyes it is has weakened significantly since morning. Having been right under it, and supposedly still right under according to radar my basic experimental method of assessing what is floating past my window suggests that the precipitation levels have dropped off hugely. I am in Dublin docklands area.

I would say north meath and offaly have done best from this

To my eyes it is has weakened significantly since morning. Having been right under it, and supposedly still right under according to radar my basic experimental method of assessing what is floating past my window suggests that the precipitation levels have dropped off hugely. I am in Dublin docklands area.

Im looking at the NW Extra radar. Some of those showers crossing the UK are making it to the Irish Sea now. I wonder will this beef them up as we are reaching the middle of the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

In ranelagh- Very dark clouds to my south and north look like they are dropping snow- saw 3 Rock in a break in clouds, it has finally started turning white. Grey sheets from the east moving in now.

Hoping this streamer builds and pastes Dublin.

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Seems to be a slacker ne flow with slightly higher temps tomorrow anybody reckon streamers could form from that? Would it be a bit to warm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Does it really matter ?

People always trying to attribute blame/success .

In MTs case he is very humble when rite and takes it on the chin if it didnt go the way he foresees .

As a society we turn everything into a competition , lets just enjoy what the weather is doing as we have no control over what it will do .

Not aimed at the op just the boards in general

Sorry I didnt quiet make my post clear, I wasn't trying to tag succes/failure to one person, I am merely interested in how today will pan out in terms of snow, regarding what MT had indicated as I am going to work in an hour and want to know how much better or worse the roads will be :P

I share your sentiment that people are too fast to point fingers, but again, not my intention :P

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Im looking at the NW Extra radar. Some of those showers crossing the UK are making it to the Irish Sea now. I wonder will this beef them up as we are reaching the middle of the day ?

Hopefully so, I do note that showers seem heavier on the eastern side of UK.

• Advertisement

Hopefully so, I do note that showers seem heavier on the eastern side of UK.

I shall keep staring at the radar :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement