Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Monday looks extremely cold for March, maxima just 1 or 2c in the east. Heavy snow showers overnight Sunday and early Monday is the offering at the moment. Likely accums ~ 10-15c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

extreme_forecast_index_2t!5!Europe!2m%20temperature!pop!od!enfo!efi_2ti!2013030700!chart.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Lovely run, I may just take Monday off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Lovely run, I may just take Monday off !

Yes a surprisingly sweet little upgrade. Better depth and length of cold. A tighter squeeze on the snow machine :pac:

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Yes a surprisingly sweet little upgrade. Better depth and length of cold. A tighter squeeze on the snow machine :pac:

I have the holiday formfilled in, waiting until tomorrow's 6z to submit it ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I have the holiday formfilled in, waiting until tomorrow's 6z to submit it ! :pac:

Why take Monday off when you 'won't be able to make it to work because of the snow' !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Why take Monday off when you 'won't be able to make it to work because of the snow' !!:D

Probably wouldn't get paid if he or she takes a day off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Suppose "they'll be prepping the '98 Nissan Micra with bald tyres" to take on Sally Gap then.......

I made the mistake of being on time every day in 2010, shot meself in the foot !!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Definitely a chance of some beefy snow showers Monday, temps might not even go over 1 C in the East so very notable for March! Dew points across Ireland will probably be the lowest we've seen all winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

How about south/south east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

How about south/south east ?

Its been said a few times that it looks like a decent chance of snow for the east coast . Exactly how much and where is all to play for still. Wont be good to say until at least Saturday night when the hi res models come into range.

I smell ThunderSnow for east coast regions

500 mb temps are cold enough.

13031112_0706.gif

Theta - e 850hpa is well cold enough.

13031112_0706.gif

Temps at 850hpa -12ºC over Irish sea and sea temps around 8ºC so a difference of about 20ºC. Enough for explosive convection.

13031112_0706.gif

Dew points are never going to be a problem in this kind of set up.

13031112_0706.gif

So get these charts in a 24-48 hr time frame and the scene is set for a pure whiteout with poor visibility in fresh wind.

Game on for now.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

So feckin hard not to get excited about this... yet at the same time be mindful of how many times we were almost there this winter! If this one is to fail, it really will be winter's goodbye and 'up yours' to a lot of people here dreaming for some snow!

If it happens though it sounds just right - a couple of days heavy snow followed by decent cold. Not enough to cause too much disruption but enough for us to enjoy before Spring/Summer kicking in... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

The Roller Coaster is well and truly on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Redsunset wrote: »
    I smell ThunderSnow for east coast regions

500 mb temps are cold enough.

13031112_0706.gif

Theta - e 850hpa is well cold enough.

13031112_0706.gif

Temps at 850hpa -12ºC over Irish sea and sea temps around 8ºC so a difference of about 20ºC. Enough for explosive convection.

13031112_0706.gif

So get these charts in a 24-48 hr time frame and the scene is set for a pure whiteout with poor visibility in fresh wind.

Game on for now.

YEP! Mentioned it there the other day , it could be interesting indeed once the wind direction plays ball!

I'll be prepping my camera gear if anyone is wanting to head chase some action Sunday monday let me know! :D:D:D

No it's not a roller coaster,
    It's the EVOLUTION.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Redsunset wrote: »
    No it's not a roller coaster,
    It's the EVOLUTION.:D

tumblr_mcfoxvFkOR1rw5melo1_500.gif

It would be nice to see this, big time ramp

cm-49882-05119e405b69a5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Loving the direction of that isobar thingmajig. Direct line to my neck of the woods via the longest sea fetch possible from Cumbria. IOM shadow?? You're Meath/Louths problem this time buddy!!! :D

Don't forget that the wind direction is different to the isobars. Slight north east angle.

13031112_0706.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Going by current GFS, the winds (both surface and 850s) will be almost straight easterlies as the cold uppers (-8 and lower) reach our shores at about midday on Sunday gradually turning NE midday Monday to pure northery midday Tues as the colder uppers leave us.

Regarding the IOM shadow, if it does come into effect it will gradually move its way down the coast throughout the 48hr snow window of opportunity.

So hopefully most areas away from the W/NW will get in on the action if convection kicks off early and the Irish Sea plays ball for the duration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Guys I am working out the windchill for Monday afternoon. GFS giving NE wind at between 15 to 25 knots coupled with GFS temps for the same period of approx 0c gives me a windchill of -7c to -10c for Eastern counties. Does anyone know of a Winchill Forecasting site that is accurate?

12z looks sweet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I'd consider the 12z an bit of an upgrade so far, starting to get a li'l bit excited...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Calibos wrote: »
    Loving the direction of that isobar thingmajig. Direct line to my neck of the woods via the longest sea fetch possible from Cumbria. IOM shadow?? You're Meath/Louths problem this time buddy!!! :D

we seem to get this IOM crap nearly every time:( we'll wait and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

UKMO good as well.

dacogawa wrote: »
    I'd consider the 12z an bit of an upgrade so far, starting to get a li'l bit excited...

Yeah looks a powerful flow off the sea coinciding with the coldest uppers which are hanging around longer too.

Wonderful upgrade. Cold is advected higher and thus lasts longer.The Blizzards are coming. Hope I haven't jinxed this now. Come on Ecm, continue the evolution.

Some folks will be shocked come Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ok here is what I see,

During Sunday evening very cold uppers move in across the country giving heavy snow to coastal areas of the East and Southeast. Some of these will drift across to luckier inland spots. In general lying snow is confined to the coastal margings (though interestingly coincides with higly populated areas such as Dublin Waterford and Cork) Monday should get further heavy snow showers in these areas and it remains bitterly cold throughout with wideapread icy roads come Monday night. Tuesday it thaws and it's just dry and cold for rest of week.

So as I said last night it's a blink if you miss it affair but should provide quite snowy picture for some on Monday
    For me I would prefer a less severe blast that would last we week but then in this country you take what you can get!

• Advertisement

You just can't please them all I guess. Roll on the short sharp blast WHOO HOO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement