Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I'm feeling very emotional right now. Hold me. :D

If ECM agrees then the ante will have to be raised a touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

By heck she's gorgeous.
    gfsnh-0-72_lsw3.png[/IMG]
    Forget your Scandi high. It's Iceland where its at.

Try get some sleep now. . Some how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I already warned my boss yesterday evening that due to severe weather, there may be a possibility I won't be able to make it to work on Monday. He laughed contemptuously in my face. We'll see whose laughing on Monday. Oh yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

NAVGEM (the new NOGAPS) has gone all-in with -14 C uppers encircling the emerald (make that turquoise) isle.

Even I don't believe that to be possible, but even more astounding, the current Met forecast does not mention the word snow -- wintry showers yes, severe frost yes, seems like a real gamble to me but hey, I do this for free.

Oh about that ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

GFS is another improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i can smell it!:D:D

So we now have MT describing what sounds like it would be one of the biggest snow events of my life time and Met Eireann talking of possible wintry showers on their 5am update.

I'll take the middle. Some heavy showers and a few hours of sustained snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

dopolahpec wrote: »
    So we now have MT describing what sounds like it would be one of the biggest snow events of my life time and Met Eireann talking of possible wintry showers on their 5am update.

I'll take the middle. Some heavy showers and a few hours of sustained snow.

How's the ecm looking !

Sorry, on mobile here !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

t|nt|n wrote: »
    How's the ecm looking !

No real change or backtrack by the ECM. :) Still on track.

DOCARCH wrote: »

No real change or backtrack by the ECM. :) Still on track.

My decision to take Monday off was a good one haha

Should start to see the evolution on the hi-res models today now. Next stop lamppost watching !

• Advertisement

How's the ecm looking !

Sorry, on mobile here !

Looks locked in

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Stock up and batten down the hatches:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Met e will have to answer to people fuming that they left it to the last min to say SNOW showers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Nearly time to upgrade this thread to a level 2 event?? none of the models are backing down which i thought they would by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Susan Jackson on RTE Radio 1 just now giving the weather update after the news: Today will be mostly mild with light rain over the country, highs of +10 to +13.

Mmmm........I wonder what Susan will be saying Monday morning? :D

Given that the charts have not backed down and we are now just T+48 away from serious cold flooding the country, I am finally buying into this event. Oh, and MT's very bullish forecast this morning for the period Sunday-Tuesday has also won me over! :D

D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

derekon wrote: »
    Given that the charts have not backed down and we are now just T+48 away from serious cold flooding the country, I am finally buying into this event. Oh, and MT's very bullish forecast this morning for the period Sunday-Tuesday has also won me over! :D

Yeah. Great ramp forecast there from MT! :D

I hope Evelyn will be on doing TV forecasts today/over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

My decision to take Monday off was a good one haha

Should start to see the evolution on the hi-res models today now. Next stop lamppost watching !

Same here I just had a feeling that I'm better off taking Monday off...
    I live in North Clare but work in East Clare I just have a notion its going to be epic :)
    So decided to book it off...
    I'm like one of those animals who can feel something on the way...
    I even stopped using my oil heating 5 days ago because it's going low and ill need it for next week.
    Intuition or coincidence :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

DOCARCH wrote: »

Yeah. Great ramp forecast there from MT! :D

I hope Evelyn will be on doing TV forecasts today/over the weekend.
    did you hear the Met E forecast for monday on radio one this morning by the german guy?
    A few wintry showers in the east...
    Dry and sunny elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

derekon wrote: »
    Susan Jackson on RTE Radio 1 just now giving the weather update after the news: Today will be mostly mild with light rain over the country, highs of +10 to +13.

Mmmm........I wonder what Susan will be saying Monday morning? :D

D
    Welcome aboard finally D, keep up the ramping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Id like to hear Dr Klara Finkele's take on it all :cool:

If Met Eireann get this one right they shall never be knocked on boards again :)

However if.........;)

• Advertisement

whitebriar wrote: »
    did you hear the Met E forecast for monday on radio one this morning by the german guy?
    Dry and sunny elsewhere.

Yeah, but you know yourself, loads of time yet for it all to change and go t**s up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Deank wrote: »
    Welcome aboard finally D, keep up the ramping

Not even a health warning :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

whitebriar wrote: »
    Dry and sunny elsewhere.

He is not German but Dutch...you can tell by his accent and name.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Seriously low windchill on Monday, that alone should warrant an orange or red warning from ME. 0c in a conservative take of 30kmh wind is -11c during daytime hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Over half of ireland at 100% chance of snow risk on this chart for 6am Monday morning!!!:eek:

295578_10151342859105878_166123900_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Been telling the guys in work that snow & cold is on the way,they looked at me as if I had 2 heads.

Was watching Sky News long range forecast via the red button & they give daytime temps of only 2c for most of Ireland & mentioned potential for heavy snow flurries (specific for the UK as usual) but the way things are set up we could be in for a nice bit of the white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That map comparison is for dewpoints, not 850 mb temps, and therefore it is not a downgrade but an upgrade since it actually shows more saturated boundary layer conditions. If there's moisture and dew points of -4 to -6 that ain't gonna be rain or sleet.

Strong ESE winds at Faeroes at 03z especially above the surface, the conveyor belt is starting up.
    Thanks MT! Someone has to clarify that!

On a general note: If there's dew points of -6 there ain't gonna be much snow either! The dew point inadvertently acts as a measure of absolute humidity. What's perfect is something like -2 degrees and an air temperature of -1. As close to zero as possible while still remaining certainly frozen.

Totes exciteballs !!! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

00z GFS is going for falling snow in Dublin after midday Sunday...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn6010.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

At the moment,,,M.E. seem to be really playing this down...

Sunday: Becoming very cold everywhere with temperatures falling to low single figures as the day goes on. Many places will be fairly dry and bright, but scattered showers will affect eastern coastal areas and these could turn wintry later. Rain might linger for a time near south coasts as well. Widespread severe frost will develop on Sunday night.

Monday: Extremely cold with temperatures a few degrees above freezing at best in stiff northeast winds. Many places dry and bright, but a few wintry showers are likely in the east and north. Severe frost again at night.

Tuesday: Still very cold and mainly dry, but probably becoming a bit less cold in the north with occasional showers. Winds turning northerly and easing.

Further outlook: Looking less cold everywhere, but temperatures still below normal for this time of year with widespread frost at night. Mainly dry at first, increasing risk of rain later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement