Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2013 - see mod warning in post 689

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Was watching the finish live and knew Australia were always in with a chance as long as Faulkner was in

He did that a couple of times in the recent ODI series in India so it came as no surprise to me.......Australia are lucky to have such a clean hitter coming in as he did at no: 9

300+ is no longer a safe total in ODI's going by the recent run chases in India and Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Faulkner wasnt number 9 though? Johnson and McKay both came after him

Should have been in before Coulter-Nile in fact, certainly good enough to bat at 7 and yesterday he was batting a bit low for me, but hard to criticise when they win I guess!

He is a big hope in Australian cricket at the moment, hopefully he will continue to improve and maybe go on to have a Test career

McKay was again the weak link today from a bowling point of view, did well though batting, nothing stupid, took runs when he could but generally just tried to get off strike. England will be on the floor after that tbh, they really, really should have won that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

They were Broad short of winning it.

Morgan is so talented, he must surely be in their test team plans. They haven't the luxury of not giving him another go now he's back batting instead of squatting.

These new fielding rules with more innovative batsman will see ODI scores getting higher and higher.

Interesting debate in that AH thread. And to think I stayed up all winter listening to Bumble and Nasser talking me through this silly game.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gillespy wrote: »

Morgan is so talented, he must surely be in their test team plans. They haven't the luxury of not giving him another go now he's back batting instead of squatting.

These new fielding rules with more innovative batsman will see ODI scores getting higher and higher.

Interesting debate in that AH thread. And to think I stayed up all winter listening to Bumble and Nasser talking me through this silly game.:o

He failed in test cricket and his four day record is poor. Not going to help his cause playing in the IPL as well when most of his rivals such as Ballance, Ali and Root will be in the County Championship.

Superb limited overs player though.

booth70 wrote: »
    Was watching the finish live and knew Australia were always in with a chance as long as Faulkner was in

He did that a couple of times in the recent ODI series in India so it came as no surprise to me.......Australia are lucky to have such a clean hitter coming in as he did at no: 9

300+ is no longer a safe total in ODI's going by the recent run chases in India and Australia

Normally would in before Coulter Nile who they just in for a slog but aye superb lower order player. Very Dhoni esque that finishing as he literally had to do it himself.

With Bailey a failure in test cricket, would he be any worse than Doolan at number six in test cricket?

• Advertisement

Morgan has shown he has work to do to be a proper Test batsman, he is a serious talent though alright, when he gets in he can be devastating

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It will be interesting to see how Morgan reacts to being in the side and how his form gets affected during the series as it gets increasingly lost.

A couple started ok in the Test series and were just as bad as everyone else by the end.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dfx- wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Morgan reacts to being in the side and how his form gets affected during the series as it gets increasingly lost.

A couple started ok in the Test series and were just as bad as everyone else by the end.
    I think it's a bit easier for the team as a whole to raise their game for a 1-dayer. Broad's had a break and is due back, and there are one or two more whoo were not in the Test team with points to prove. You can't really legislate for what happened yesterday - yes England should have finished them off but it was only an incredible performance by Faulkner that stopped them. I think England will take some heart from their batting yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a result tomorrow

5-0 thrashing beckons for England again......

Whatever combination , tactics England try they will not win any match on this tour.....Reminds me of India's tour to England in 2011 when they were beaten black and blue in both the Tests and ODI's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's all about the Women's game these days! Another win for England Women today, one away from retaining the Ashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

5-0 thrashing beckons for England again......

Whatever combination , tactics England try they will not win any match on this tour.....Reminds me of India's tour to England in 2011 when they were beaten black and blue in both the Tests and ODI's

Losing during the week showed just how low this England team is right now. That game was over; it was almost unbelievable that firstly they couldnt defend 300 and secondly they couldnt defend 244/9 or whatever it was. That is a squad of players who just wants to get on the plane home Id imagine.

Always love watching Shaun Marsh play.....classy player....a left handed version of Mark Waugh

Should he be in the Test squad instead of Bailey?

Always love watching Shaun Marsh play.....classy player....a left handed version of Mark Waugh

Should he be in the Test squad instead of Bailey?

First class record is poor enough and has injury concerns and likes the booze, but supposedly going to be announced to be in the squad for South Africa with Bailey out. Think Doolan will be ahead of him for now.

Forgot about posting it yesterday

ODI

Aus 3
    Eng 0

Absolutely cruised to victory in that one, when Bopara is by far your best bowler and most likely to take a wicket your in trouble

That's nine games of cricket in a row England have lost now, 10 is the record, looking quite likely it will be beaten.

Only bright spark I can see is how good Morgan looks, should be one day captain in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Not surprised Rankinstein got the chop. He's been useless. Nice to see Morgan taking a leaf out of Broad's book and refusing to walk when everyone else (even Warner!) has been happy to go on the fielders word.

He's in lovely touch but I don't get why that makes him a candidate for the ODI captaincy. Scoring runs does not equate to being captain material. That's not to say it means he'd be a bad captain either. It just seems the media are happy that a couple of good knocks makes him suitable to lead the team.

There's a couple of lads at our club that are prolific run scorers who would be the last people you'd want leading a side. Some players are best just left to bat.

Considering Morgan is one of the very few England players on this tour who looks in any kind of form, Id be inclined to just leave him doing what he is going and not try and burden him with any more at the moment. The couple of times I have seen him captain the side he has looked like he is well capable of doing the job (on a temporary basis even), but I wouldnt go giving it to him just at the moment.

Morgan has the attributes to be a good captain. His game awareness like spotting too many fielders out the last day and his calmness during that catch incident. And he doesn't umm and ah in interviews like Cook which is another plus. He is senior member of the team now, if Cook's horrible form continues he is the automatic choice I should think. Not now though, this is Cook's mess.

Clarke, Warner and Haddin are going to miss Perth and Johnson expected back. Despite that still expect another 5-0.

crackit wrote: »
    Not surprised Rankinstein got the chop. He's been useless. Nice to see Morgan taking a leaf out of Broad's book and refusing to walk when everyone else (even Warner!) has been happy to go on the fielders word.

He's in lovely touch but I don't get why that makes him a candidate for the ODI captaincy. Scoring runs does not equate to being captain material. That's not to say it means he'd be a bad captain either. It just seems the media are happy that a couple of good knocks makes him suitable to lead the team.

There's a couple of lads at our club that are prolific run scorers who would be the last people you'd want leading a side. Some players are best just left to bat.

Nothing wrong with going on the fielders word, Broad is a pain in the hole with it, eejit never thinks hes out (his Dad was the same)

Morgan has the attributes to be a good captain. His game awareness like spotting too many fielders out the last day and his calmness during that catch incident. And he doesn't umm and ah in interviews like Cook which is another plus. He is senior member of the team now, if Cook's horrible form continues he is the automatic choice I should think. Not now though, this is Cook's mess.

Clarke, Warner and Haddin are going to miss Perth and Johnson expected back. Despite that still expect another 5-0.

England really should be winning at Perth with those players missing tbh, they wont get a better chance anyway

• Advertisement

It is annoyingly overused by sports commentators and pundits but Australia have the momentum and enough strength in depth to win I think.

Meanwhile, Bailey has been dropped from the test squad, Marsh and Doolan in. Pattinson, Faulkner and Bird also in the squad.

It is annoyingly overused by sports commentators and pundits but Australia have the momentum and enough strength in depth to win I think.

Meanwhile, Bailey has been dropped from the test squad, Marsh and Doolan in. Pattinson, Faulkner and Bird also in the squad.

Disappointed Bird is back in squad from purely selfish County point of view, he's Northants overseas player this season and want him to be out of favour by start of County Championship, Division 1 if you don't mind! He wasn't great for select 11 or whatever they were against England in warm up game.

I like Bird, dunno why, think its cause he always takes plenty of wickets for me in Cricket Captain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deise300

4th ODI on now, Cook gone for 44 after a good start for England, 87-1 after 12.2

Good knock from England; 316/8. Good to see Cook and Bell in the runs, and a great knock at the end from Buttler.

Australia keeping pace though; 223-6. More or less idential scores after 40 overs; Australia one wicket more down. Probably going to take another big innings from Faulkner to put pressure on the required total though.

kryogen wrote: »
    England really should be winning at Perth with those players missing tbh, they wont get a better chance anyway

Looking good anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Surely England won't make any mistake this time!! Australia 237 for 7, requiring 80 from the last 7 overs.

Make that for 241/8 - great spell from Stokes. Must be all over now!!

239-8 now

Looks like Australia going to be celebrating going top of the world rankings with a defeat :)

Job done, about time!

• Advertisement

Haha finally! Even at the end they made hard work of it!

Advertisement