Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2013 - see mod warning in post 689

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Now Finn is on his way home. Wow I didn't think this tour could get any worse!!

On the Finn situation I think blame solely rests with English management. They've taken a very good young fats bowler who took wickets and totally destroyed his confidence. Surely test cricket is about taking wickets not having a good economy rate. I'd much prefer figures of 10-0-45-4 than 10-4-16-0!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

No Finn is on his way home. Wow I didn't think this tour could get any worse!!

On the Finn situation I think blame solely rests with English management. They've taken a very good young fats bowler who took wickets and totally destroyed his confidence. Surely test cricket is about taking wickets not having a good economy rate. I'd much prefer figures of 10-0-45-4 than 10-4-16-0!!

Its works in the sense that you build up pressure resulting in batsmen giving away their wicket. With Swann now gone they may have to re-evaluate this strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You need to have a more direct "wicket taker" type bowler as well though. Look at the difference that Johnson made to Australia in this series, or when England had Flintoff to call on to bowl a short aggressive spell. England have bowlers like Anderson who are happy to toil away at a good economy rate; what they really need is a quick nasty bowler who can put the ****s up the batsmen in aggressive bursts, and Finn has the tools to be that bowler, if he is nurtured correctly.

Im not really sure what the story with Finn is at the moment. There is no reason at all why he didnt get a chance in at least one test this past series, and certainly he should (on paper anyway) be getting into the side ahead of the likes of Rankin and Tremlett. Ive never been his biggest fan; I always felt that he is too nice (for want of a better word) for the type of bowler that he should be, and that if he could add some real aggression to his game then he would be a lot more dangerous, but these are the kind of things that come with experience, and this series would have been a real chance for him to get into the side and make a difference had they called upon him early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Its works in the sense that you build up pressure resulting in batsmen giving away their wicket. With Swann now gone they may have to re-evaluate this strategy.

That might work in T20 or ODI cricket but in test cricket you have to assume teams won't always throw away their wickets. It's a defeatist strategy, it's like saying we're not good enough to take 20 wickets will ye help us out!! I remember when good bowling not 'pressure' took wickets. The Johnson example below sums it up perfectly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Great hundred from Morgan..

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Great hundred from Morgan..

It has even inspired a thread in AH....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057126749

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Very good innings from Morgan. Despite surviving knocking one to a fielder when he was only a couple of balls into his innings. While the decision was the correct one I don't like batsmen appealing (albeit correctly) to umpires on things like field settings. The fielding teams are the only ones who should be appealing.

crackit wrote: »
    Very good innings from Morgan. Despite surviving knocking one to a fielder when he was only a couple of balls into his innings. While the decision was the correct one I don't like batsmen appealing (albeit correctly) to umpires on things like field settings. The fielding teams are the only ones who should be appealing.

what did he do?

Came down the pitch to Clarke and chipped it out to midwicket and was caught.

He then appealed to the umpire that there were too many men outside the circle (which there were) and the umpires checked and the call was overturned.

As I said, he was right, the field wasn't set properly. I just don't like appealing by batsmen. It must be the umpire in me!

EDIT

Also Rankin is stinking the place up again. His days are numbered if he can't come up with something soon IMO

As I said, he was right, the field wasn't set properly. I just don't like appealing by batsmen. It must be the umpire in me!

Why? If I was caught off a no ball (especially for something as ridiculously obvious as breach of fielding restrictions) Id be pretty pissed off if the umpire didnt call it. He has every right to appeal that imo.

• Advertisement

If it was a DRS review I'd be fine with it. However that wasn't the case.

So I don't agree with you. What if Morgan had been wrong? Are we going to hold up the game anytime a batsman wants to chance his arm? What about batsmen waving their bats at you when given LBW claiming they hit it? Without a DRS review being used should the umpire go and have a check of that too?

He wasnt wrong though, and his actions corrected an almost inexcusable mistake for an international umpire to make, and one that would have ruined what has turned out to be a good game of cricket.

Its one thing batsmen appealing/having a go about mistakes made directly relating to the wicket (nick on an lbw, no contact with a caught behind etc); these are part of the human element to umpiring and were what DRS was brought in to compensate for. But batsmen should not have to suffer from downright incompetence on the part of the umpire, and in this case I think Morgan has every right to appeal if he thinks that he was given out to a ball that should have been called a no ball due to a breach of fielding restrictions.

I don't recall it being in the Laws of the game that the batsman can appeal an umpiring decision outside of DRS.

Came down the pitch to Clarke and chipped it out to midwicket and was caught.

He then appealed to the umpire that there were too many men outside the circle (which there were) and the umpires checked and the call was overturned.

EDIT

Also Rankin is stinking the place up again. His days are numbered if he can't come up with something soon IMO

do you think he chanced his arm, or was he fairly sure the field setting was wrong? If he was sure, then I would have thought DRS would be the solution.
    But why waste that when you can appeal to the umpire?

some crackers over in the AH thread...

'we're at a sad stage in human development if people are actually admitting publicly to watching cricket'

I never understood the stigma cricket has in Ireland. Obviously you dont like every sport, but the bashing cricket/cricket fans get in Ireland surly is strange.

I don't recall it being in the Laws of the game that the batsman can appeal an umpiring decision outside of DRS.

Umpires check decisions outside of DRS all of the time (whether a fielder touched the boundary rope for instance, or a questionable front foot no ball on a wicket). I dont that its unreasonable for a batsman to ask the question, in an extraordinary instance like this, when they feel a mistake has been made. I have no time for batsmen whinging about caught behind decisions or LBW or whatever, but this is a very different situation.

The bottom line is that international umpires should not be making these kind of mistakes, and when they do, I dont think its unreasonable for a batsman to point it out. The umpire didnt have to overturn the decision.

some crackers over in the AH thread...

'we're at a sad stage in human development if people are actually admitting publicly to watching cricket'

I never understood the stigma cricket has in Ireland. Obviously you dont like every sport, but the bashing cricket/cricket fans get in Ireland surly is strange.

I read about ten posts in that thread before I realised what it was likely to descend into, so I got out of there in a hurry!

Cricket doesnt have anything like the stigma that it once had. There was a time where mentioning cricket opened you up to all kinds of ridicule. Nowadays when you mention you play cricket most people are very interested to talk about it, and most seem to know the fortunes of the Irish cricket team and are only too happy to discuss how we are doing. There are still a some knuckledraggers out there who love to peddle the "west brit" nonsense, but thankfully they are becoming fewer and far between these days.

Meanwhile back at the Gabba....

It's actually turning into a handy little contest. When Bailey went England looked to be well on course but Haddin is doing his best to do what he does best and save the day! Ably aided by Maxwell of course

Meanwhile back at the Gabba....

It's actually turning into a handy little contest. When Bailey went England looked to be well on course but Haddin is doing his best to do what he does best and save the day! Ably aided by Maxwell of course

someone spoke too soon:D

The commenters curse!

• Advertisement

Silly from Maxwell there. The game was far from over and if he stuck around then he could have made it interesting with some help from the lower order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

djimi wrote: »
    Silly from Maxwell there. The game was far from over and if he stuck around then he could have made it interesting with some help from the lower order.

No prizes either for haddin, an experienced player who should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

What a finish.

How bad are England.

Good god. Talk about dragging a victory from the jaws of defeat! Unbelievable knock from Faulkner. Shame on England letting that one slip away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

When things are going for you, they sure go for you!! What a win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fantastic finish to the game. I was about to switch off until he hit the first of the double 6's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Fantastic from Faulkner but no way should England have left them a sniff at that from where they had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ironic that everyone bashing cricket in AH have absolutely no idea what a great match they've chosen to have a go at.

Also England suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

BeLWitoCIAAsJ4C.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ODI

Aus 2
    Eng 0

That was a fantastic match, absolutely riveting stuff, more of the same please!

Advertisement