Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys - Would you wear Skinny Jeans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Huge whiff of GAA jerseys and bootcut jeans in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

They were popular in Germany in the 1980s, which is 30 years ago, so my answer is 'No' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I have just purchased a pair of Skinny Jeans and I must admit that I look great in them and it feels so good to wear them. I often wonder why more guys do not wear Skinny Jeans as they are so figure flattering. I admit that one needs to be a bit skinny to wear Skinny Jeans, but outside of that, there should be no problem in guys wearing them. So guys - dare you wear Skinny Jeans!

I play rugby... your having a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

twinytwo wrote: »
    I play rugby... your having a laugh
    not all guys play rugby or are buff

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

I'm skinny enough myself.....but the thought of wearing those things just makes me cringe...and they look ridiculous on lads....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Thing is I'm 21, I'm a size 28 waist, I've got quite thin but still fairly well defined legs (I'm into a few sports) and the rest of my clothes and general look are, or at least are designed to be, quite trendy. I'm very confident in how well they look and how well they look on me.

Which is exactly what will make them look even more stupid in years to come, trust me. The problem with fashion is it's like an arms race. Mutually Assured Dickery.
    The problem now is you can't hide away photos if you upload them for all the world to see. My past, impractical clothing is being erased from fading memories. I'm glad I wasn't born into a world where Facebook was a part of almost everyone's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

kowloon wrote: »
    Which is exactly what will make them look even more stupid in years to come, trust me. The problem with fashion is it's like an arms race. Mutually Assured Dickery.
    The problem now is you can't hide away photos if you upload them for all the world to see. My past, impractical clothing is being erased from fading memories. I'm glad I wasn't born into a world where Facebook was a part of almost everyone's life.

Maybe but I doubt it. tbh, as a few people have said on this thread, there seems to be a lot of people who prefer bootcut jeans and GAA jerseys on this thread and that's entirely their choice and all but personally I'd feel far more ashamed in something like that than I would a stylish outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

There is nothing worse than a lad wearing bootcut jeans puts me right off, which is what i bet most lads in here wear. Straight leg > skinny leg > bootcut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Wouldn't be caught dead in skinny jeans-to me they're for girls really.

Each to their own and all that but some of the fashion going around at the minute is funny-brings this video to mind! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWN9VYZXfY

Like other posters have said its trendy at the time but when ya look back its embarassin. Better to have your own style and not try and go with whats in fashion i reckon.....and no i'm not talking GAA jerseys and bootcuts ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This thread is still going...almost like the Op enjoys the attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

sink wrote: »
    I think it might be a generation thing too. I'm verging on 30 and none of my mates wear skinnys. I only see young lads under 22 wearing them. Back when I was their age it was all cargo pants and combats, looking back they were ridiculous too. Even before that you had the really baggy xworks an eclipse jeans. They're all fads that you will be embarrassed about in 10 years. Straight cut jeans are the ones that stand the test of time.

I'am well over 30 and I wear skinny jeans. If a guy has the body and the confidence to wear skin tight jeans, then why should he not wear them , regardless of his age.

Steve O wrote: »
    I would, but they wouldn't go passed my knees.

Actually I would look like this very talented man.

I think the only thing we can be sure he's talented at is singing falsetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Is it just me or are normal jeans also getting too skinny? Last time I went jeans shopping I couldn't get half the jeans past my knees, the ones I could actually shove on were way too tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Is it just me or are normal jeans also getting too skinny? Last time I went jeans shopping I couldn't get half the jeans past my knees, the ones I could actually shove on were way too tight

maybe your just getting fat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

maybe your just getting fat

No, but nice try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I think the OP should tell us his weight and height as I reckon only 'petite' males wear skinny jeans...

And for the record; if I was to allow a bunch of male executives sitting around a boardroom table deciding what is to be the fashion for the next year (based on what the warehouses are overflowing with) then I wouldn't exactly be free-thinking. Fashion is dictated by this; so if you follow fashion, you follow what rich executives want you to wear so they can get even richer.

Besides, skinny jeans make men look feminine - simple as that. If you want to look feminine, go for it, I have nothing against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Skinny jeans?.. No way! Puffy pants only.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Can the OP confirm if he is a prison inmate or answer to the name of T Bag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Mydayoff

The OP is currently GAY. Can we open a new thread about the OPs sexualitiy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_9x27VRwWM

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

Falthyron wrote: »
    I think the OP should tell us his weight and height as I reckon only 'petite' males wear skinny jeans...

And for the record; if I was to allow a bunch of male executives sitting around a boardroom table deciding what is to be the fashion for the next year (based on what the warehouses are overflowing with) then I wouldn't exactly be free-thinking. Fashion is dictated by this; so if you follow fashion, you follow what rich executives want you to wear so they can get even richer.

Besides, skinny jeans make men look feminine - simple as that. If you want to look feminine, go for it, I have nothing against that.

To answer your question, I am 5'10 in height and my weight is around 14 stone - certainly not petite! As regards skin-tight jeans being regarded as ' feminine' , jeans were originally worn by men before they were adopted by women. When jeans first became fashionable in the 50s, they were tight fitting as in the ' drainpipe ' style of that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

To answer your question, I am 5'10 in height and my weight is around 14 stone - certainly not petite! As regards skin-tight jeans being regarded as ' feminine' , jeans were originally worn by men before they were adopted by women. When jeans first became fashionable in the 50s, they were tight fitting as in the ' drainpipe ' style of that period.

Fair enough, but jeans were originally designed to be made of a tougher, more robust material than other types of trousers, for outdoor and hands-on kind of work. They were created for more pragmatic reasons, not to 'look good'.

I don't normally cite Wikipedia, but here it is, nonetheless. Jeans

Also, you appear to be quite right about them making a move into casual wear during the 1950s (generally accepted in the 1970s), but they were not the cut you are describing. Films such as 'Rebel Without a Cause' can be seen as a source pushing forward the 'normalisation' of jeans. But, in this IMAGE you will see they did not start off as tight or skinny or drainpipe.

My own interpretation of skinny jeans would stem from this culture of physical image that we live in. Women are constantly being barraged with images of skinny celebrities, and this creates the impetus to emulate these women. Skinny jeans makes people's legs look very, very thin. It helps to perpetuate this notion that 'stick' thin is attractive and what people (particularly women) should aspire to. Personally, I think it does make your legs look really thin, but, depending on the woman, it can also give them this stupidly disproportionate ass.

Now enter Russell Brand et al. Some fashion company pays him to wear these jeans, men see women attracted to him, they want women, doesn't take much to see where this is going... It's a total marketing ploy, and a very good one at that. Same as people who wear Davidoff/Lynx, people who drink Heineken, etc. Doesn't mean it's good, it just has a very good image putting forward the idea 'this is what YOU want to wear and you will get, x,y,z.

Ultimately, if you want to wear them, go right ahead. If it makes you feel better, like drinking a Heineken, or wearing Lynx, go for it. But in terms of physical or tangible effects on your life (bar the risk to damaging your testicles), you simply look like the result of an excellent campaign to market clothes to men regardless of design or practicality.

I wonder if Rihanna or Cheryl Cole or Justin Bieber went around wearing some stupid feather hat how long would it take for people to go out and buy the same looking thing and start wearing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I just love to pour myself into skin-tight jeans and strut down the street. What a feeling! I just love the way my Skinny Jeans hug and cling to my body. I also love the admiring glances and comments from women who like to see a man who is not afraid to be a bit different. So guys, squeeze yourself into those skin tight jeans and pull the birds!
    I'm not sure if this is the gayest thing I've ever read, but it's in the top five.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Look, skinny jeans are bloody ridiculous and that's the end of it. Yes I know some people like to wear them and that's all well and good. People also like to wear glasses with no frames and low-cut vests.

There's a word for these people and it's "ponces".

Why this is even being discussed is beyond me because it's an inalienable truth that skinny jeans are for f*cking eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭ashers222

I <3 this thread

I think it's pretty likely that Mr Black Leather is something of a fetishist given his repeated posts on the subject of leather and tight clothing.

I think he's probably enjoying the discussion very much.

Very, VERY much. :)

Very kind of you all to accommodate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Candie wrote: »
    I think it's pretty likely that Mr Black Leather is something of a fetishist given his repeated posts on the subject of leather and tight clothing.

I think he's probably enjoying the discussion very much.

Very, VERY much. :)

Very kind of you all to accommodate him.

I think he's very odd indeed, but honestly? AH is still ridiculously judgmental and incredibly conservative, and it seems like anyone who steps outside of the norm gets some extremely over the top remarks from the AH hivemind.

I'm for wearing whatever the hell you want, because if you're comfortable, feel good and like how you look, then that's what matters. someone else's opinions shouldn't factor into it, unless it's someone who's opinion you trust, not randomers off the web.

like I get lots of compliments on how I dress, but no doubt I'd be crucified if I asked what AH thought of my fashion sense. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Links234 wrote: »
    AH is still ridiculously judgmental and incredibly conservative, and it seems like anyone who steps outside of the norm gets some extremely over the top remarks from the AH hivemind.

I don't know about you but I've found it hilarious seeing so many posters get their knickers in a twist over someone's choice of clothing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I don't know about you but I've found it hilarious seeing so many posters get their knickers in a twist over someone's choice of clothing.

Don't start me on bloody hipsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Draydis80

I would last about 2 minutes in skinny jeans before bursting into flames due to friction and chaffing

Advertisement