Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I loved the game and thought it was a big improvement on 3 but there were definitely too many damn following missions. It's easily my biggest criticism, it made me feel like punching my screen at times (thankfully I didn't).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The exploration side of things was great but I actually thought ACIII had a better main campaign. At least there was more variety in the missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

What is everyone's opinion on the combat?

I just think it's really poor.. my post above is a little more detailed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I despise the campaign missions in this campaign. With the exception of a couple, they're dull and frustrating. I can't believe the amount of bland, repetitive and time wasting tailing and eavesdropping missions they are. How, after all these AC games, do they still think these are interesting and engaging gameplay tools? Actually following the main missions is proving an absolute chore, which is a shame as I tend to lose myself for hours when exploring: a lot of that is repetitive busywork and collecting as well, but there's something absolutely engrossing about the mechanics and world on that scale. I like the combat though, I think it flows really well.

Also, is it just me or is there a severe lack of metal, wood and other upgrading resources around the place? I've attacked plenty of ships and raided quite a few warehouses, but still struggling to find the resources necessary for the important later upgrades.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I despise the campaign missions in this campaign. With the exception of a couple, they're dull and frustrating. I can't believe the amount of bland, repetitive and time wasting tailing and eavesdropping missions they are. How, after all these AC games, do they still think these are interesting and engaging gameplay tools? Actually following the main missions is proving an absolute chore, which is a shame as I tend to lose myself for hours when exploring: a lot of that is repetitive busywork and collecting as well, but there's something absolutely engrossing about the mechanics and world on that scale. I like the combat though, I think it flows really well.

Also, is it just me or is there a severe lack of metal, wood and other upgrading resources around the place? I've attacked plenty of ships and raided quite a few warehouses, but still struggling to find the resources necessary for the important later upgrades.

Once you get the ship to a decent level head south, you'll find ships down there that will have 150 metal on board. Getting your wanted level up helps too as the hunters often carry metal.
    tok9 wrote: »
    What is everyone's opinion on the combat?

I just think it's really poor.. my post above is a little more detailed.

I've always enjoyed he assassins creed games, but the combat and free running always felt very glitchy to me, the amount of times I'm trying to chase someone and Edward will just refuse to climb in the direction I want him to or when in combat the camera will fix on an enemy while I'm trying to fight another one off screen. It's been like that since AC1 imo and I can't understand why they've never decided to improve the mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Then you buy a resources pack for the low, low price of €1.99 for 500 metal, wood and cloth.

How convenient...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Julez wrote: »
    My uplay name is 'julezharper' if anyone wants to add me for some speed boosts on he app.

I tried to add you but it says it cannot find your username. Mine is The40Watt if you want to add me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

juan mata on sky sports news today wearing an assassins creed: black flag tshirt today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Assassins creed: liberation came out on xbox today, pretty decent so far its closer to 3 than 4 and is still plagued with the usual problems but if you love the games despite their flaws its well worth the 20 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Assassins creed: liberation came out on xbox today, pretty decent so far its closer to 3 than 4 and is still plagued with the usual problems but if you love the games despite their flaws its well worth the 20 quid.

Was out last week , it's 14.99 if you have a season pass, but act soon because I think thats a limited offer

• Advertisement

I played and finished it on the VITA last year. It was pretty good. A smaller scale AC game to be sure but it did have some interesting characters. One thing I did not like about it was the switching personas mechanic. I can understand why it was in the game but it was never fun to be anything other than the Assassin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

calex71 wrote: »
    Was out last week , it's 14.99 if you have a season pass, but act soon because I think thats a limited offer

That is such bull****. I purchased the season pass over christmas as I heard of the liberation offer but did not know that it was only a timed limited offer. I don't get paid until Tuesday so it'll be a race against the clock for me to see if I can get the discount I paid for on time... what a weird problem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

I tried to add you but it says it cannot find your username. Mine is The40Watt if you want to add me.

I added you there. Ah, I see the problem, I missedspelled my username on uplay, its actually 'julezhaper'

Julez wrote: »
    I added you there. Ah, I see the problem, I missedspelled my username on uplay, its actually 'julezhaper'

You are now my first UPlay friend :)

Anyone having issues with seeing friends ships in Kenway's Fleet? It has been days since I've seen a friends ship on the map.

Not sure if there is a problem with UPlay or just that no one is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Here's my Uplay ID. briankearon666
    Finished it the other day. Left it fallow for a couple of days, went back to it and really felt I needed to do 100%. Got the season pass too and am looking forward to starting that.
    Is it actually good? Is it worth the time effort?

I finished ACIV last night. I think I enjoyed this one just as much as Brotherhood which was the best AC game in my opinion.

My only real complaint is about how well the story is told. It isn't a particularly deep story but I don't think they distinguished enough between Kenway's pirate friends. At first they just seem like background characters but then all of sudden take on more importance. By the end of the game I wasn't sure who was who and whether they were friend or foe.

I won't be going for 100% completion and the Platinum trophy because you have to get trophies in multiplayer and that just isn't for me. There are a few things I might go back and do such as capture all the forts, hunt some whales and maybe collect those Mayan treasures.
    Here's my Uplay ID. briankearon666

I just added you on my UPlay account.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finishing the Ezio trilogy with Revelations and just got the hookblade, which I had completely forgotten about.

Why did they get rid of it in the sequels, it makes climbing so quicker and smoother.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Finishing the Ezio trilogy with Revelations and just got the hookblade, which I had completely forgotten about.

Why did they get rid of it in the sequels, it makes climbing so quicker and smoother.

I had forgotten about the hookblade, it was pretty cool alright.

Has anyone been hacking all the computers in the present day sections of ACIV? I think the three marketing research videos you can find are amazing. They really don't mind poking fun at the previous games in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J. Marston wrote: »

Very few of the buildings in AC3 and AC4 are tall enough to warrant it. Same reason they got rid of parachutes. Instead they focused on general free-running like moving through trees and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Yeh the running through trees is awesome, especially during escape sequences

I jumped back into the multiplayer over the weekend which was unfortunately a frustrating experience.

I mainly played Wolfpack and if you don't get a good team the game is wasted. We had one player who kept spring toward targets resulting in nothing but 100point kills/ alerting the other targets. I was tailing a target at one stage waiting to get a focus kill and the same dickhead just sprinted past me for a cheap kill. The frustrating thing is the better one person does, the whole team benefits from extra points so there was no reason for this at all.

... /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I meant to ask how is the multiplayer? I tried getting it to work on PS4 but there seemed to be all sorts of problems that I couldnt get anything working

I had problmes finding any matches at all on Friday evening but was fine then on Saturday and Sunday. There was an update I needed to download (via XBLA).

I do enjoy the multiplayer as most of the time is well thought out plans and careful playing but, like I said above, you can get oddballs that wreck games. The tutorials are pretty good and well worth doing as this mode has gotten a bit too far advanced in terms of available bonuses/ perks.

Got paid... Went online... Liberation offer has disappeared... **** that

I got the special edition of this game that included extra DLC. There had been two DLC locations on my map the while game. I went to play them just now and they have vanished from the map.

One is called Mystery Island, not sure about the other. Any ideas what is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I got the special edition of this game that included extra DLC. There had been two DLC locations on my map the while game. I went to play them just now and they have vanished from the map.

One is called Mystery Island, not sure about the other. Any ideas what is wrong?

Connected to uPLAY? Shouldn't have to be but the only thing I can think of.

calex71 wrote: »
    Connected to uPLAY? Shouldn't have to be but the only thing I can think of.

If you are connected to UPlay you see a white wi-fi symbol on the HUD which I do have. I also don't see my friends ships anymore in Kenway's Fleet.

I might try logging into the multiplayer and then go back to single player to see if that does anything.

I'd be interested in swopping FIFA 14 for this on XBOX1 if anyone wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ive cleared AC4 yesterday. anyone want it? im interested in BF4 only. PS4

Advertisement