Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It will be interesting to see if Setanta Ireland decide to remove Setanta Ireland from the Basic package of UPC channels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

ITV and ZDF currently show the Champions League FTA so why couldn't BT?

In ireland, we have TV3 and rte2 for the champions league next season

BT Sport's 'FTA' or second choice live games will be similar to the live games on sky one in the last few years

ftakeith wrote: »

BT Sport's FTA live games will be similar to the live games on sky one in the last few years

So they won't be FTA???

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

BT Sport's FTA live games will be similar to the live games on sky one in the last few years

What has what we have in Ireland got to do with anything? Also you contradicted yourself.

What has what we have in Ireland got to do with anything? Also you contradicted yourself.

corrected now

• Advertisement

Will it be FTA or 'FTA'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Will it be FTA or 'FTA'?

or FTV

kooga wrote: »
    or FTV

FTV more likely for digital TV subscribers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

it does mention "free to air" - but it could be on freeview only where they have space in the UK. I doubt they will be able to have it free to air on satellite.

This article talks about Freeview. No firm details yet though.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/05/free-to-air-version-of-bt-sport.html

Next season's Europa League action will be behind a paywall, but what about the final itself? Will it be FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

B17G wrote: »

Next season's Europa League action will be behind a paywall, but what about the final itself? Will it be FTA?

I'd say it's the same as the champions league with a limited number of games on BTSPORT Showcase

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No commitment for FTA Europa League games in either jurisdiction - in Ireland Setanta have exclusive rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

B17G wrote: »

Thats great. Freeview will suit me fine :)

muffler wrote: »
    Thats great. Freeview will suit me fine :)

its freeview not freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

its freeview not freesat

A mad suggestion I know, but maybe that poster has Freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

its freeview not freesat
    I know. I have freeview here as Im only about 4 miles from the NI border and its a fantastic picture quality :)

And the amazing thing is that the aerial must be up on the roof for at least 25 years so I didnt have to get a new aerial when we switched to digital some time ago.

its freeview not freesat

Even still it is FTA, not on Satellite but it is still FTA.

I really don't get setanta's view of keeping Setanta Ireland behind a paywall.

Setanta Ireland has about the same reach as Sky News HQ and yet only gets 0.3% v 1.5% of the audience.

In terms of Saorview Setanta Ireland could provide a good sports service on a free basis and it would fit with the BAI's decision to give them funding.

Both BT Showcase and Setanta Ireland would do well to have a sports news service coupled with their Free Live sports.

I wonder if BT Showcase will be more than just sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Elmo wrote: »

Setanta Ireland has about the same reach as Sky News HQ and yet only gets 0.3% v 1.5% of the audience.

In terms of Saorview Setanta Ireland could provide a good sports service on a free basis and it would fit with the BAI's decision to give them funding.

Both BT Showcase and Setanta Ireland would do well to have a sports news service coupled with their Free Live sports.

SetantaSports News UK didn't last long last time round!
    Can anyone else see btsport buying out Setanta sometime in the future?

Joo0 wrote: »
    SetantaSports News UK didn't last long last time round!
    Can anyone else see btsport buying out Setanta sometime in the future?

Yes but it had FTA competition with Sky Sports News behind a paywall now.

Be interesting to see how the BAI would deal with giving BT Sports licence fee funding of that happened. Would it be worth it for BT?

Elmo wrote: »

french open tennis is on ITV on freesat and its on setanta Ire

Setanta Ire would gain viewers from saorview and be the best place to tease viewers for the setanta pack

Saorview could be used to give non pay tv viewers a tease of pay tv

french open tennis is on ITV on freesat and its on setanta Ire

Setanta Ire would gain viewers from saorview and be the best place to tease viewers for the setanta pack

Saorview could be used to give non pay tv viewers a tease of pay tv

And Setanta would be legitimate be entitled to the Sound and Vision fund by the BAI (have I ever told you that get some public funds :) )

The opportunity to buy FTA sports and non-designated ones that are only given to FTA companies.

E.g. Setanta's Pay service continues with its current GAA coverage while Setanta Ireland buys up TG4 GAA coverage for their saorview offering. Or Setanta airing Irish soccer exclusively of Setanta Ireland.

• Advertisement

Their business is pay-TV. That's the long and short of it. It's like asking why Sky Sports doesn't go on Freeview. BT Sport wouldn't be creating this FTA channel at all if UEFA hadn't extracted the commitment to making a certain number of games FTA.

icdg wrote: »
    Their business is pay-TV. That's the long and short of it. It's like asking why Sky Sports doesn't go on Freeview. BT Sport wouldn't be creating this FTA channel at all if UEFA hadn't extracted the commitment to making a certain number of games FTA.

True, you'd think the BAI would insist also :)

copa america appears to be on premier sports in the uk or setanta sports 1 in ireland

copa america appears to be on premier sports in the uk or setanta sports 1 in ireland

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-to-show-exclusive-coverage-of-euro-2015-u21-championship-S11363981184625

copa america and the above, setanta pack is better value for sky sports in june

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's disappointing. It would have been free on Youtube for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder what Premier League match will be on Setanta Ireland this Sunday?

It usually isn't known till very late in the day as Sky must make their picks first.

Sky will concentrate on the relegation battle between Hull and Newcastle so I think Setanta might show Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Yeah, I'd imagine that Sky will show Hull v Man Utd and Newcastle v West Ham, so Setanta will probably go with a team that's popular in Ireland, like Liverpool.

• Advertisement

The Arsenal v Sunderland midweek game possibly will delay Sky's picks as they may opt to show Arsenal v West Brom if Arsenal were to lose on Wednesday (a win would secure, and a draw all but secure, Champions League group stage qualification). If Arsenal win, Chelsea v Sunderland will almost certainly be shown both for the trophy presentation and also because Sunderland would still be part of the relegation battle.

Advertisement