Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Eircom responded to me today on twitter stating that Setanta Ireland will remain on their website but that BT Sport wouldn't be added.

bt sport/espn will be provided by eircom tv when its set up in a few months

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

muffler, paulboland, MYOB, kooga, and marco2068 all infracted for ignoring my TWO warnings not to discuss this issue on this thread.

The posts are all being moved to the thread on Satellite where you can discuss this - CIVILLY - to you hearts content. But if that thread gets heated it will be closed. Paulboland I'm looking at you in particular, bold is for moderators, I don't want to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

ftakeith wrote: »

Think Eircom may have missed the boat...

Re UPC - they could take the negotiations with Setanta/BT to the wire - ie August 16th (1st EPL game 17th) and if you think back to when ESPN got the Setanta rights,UPC did leave it to the last moment

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

ftakeith wrote: »

That would be interesting, where did you get that info from? I'd like to subscribe to this but not interested in having to pay €47 to do so (€27 min for Sky + €20 for Setanta/BT).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

That would be interesting, where did you get that info from? I'd like to subscribe to this but not interested in having to pay €47 to do so (€27 min for Sky + €20 for Setanta/BT).

not announced yet but a recent survey which I took for RedC included setanta Ireland in the basic eircom tv offering along with sky1 and another 30 or so mainly FTA channels. Price points offered were between 55 and 65 euro in the Survey so I would say they will settle for something around 60euro for the tv broadband and phone package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

muffler wrote: »
    Thanks Niall but it was SD I mentioned.

Setanta are surely aware of the atrociously poor picture quality on their sports channels.

Tv3 gaa picture quality is atrocious imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

jharr100 wrote: »
    Tv3 gaa picture quality is atrocious imho

very difficult to watch sport on 3e as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Eircom responded to me today on twitter stating that Setanta Ireland will remain on their website but that BT Sport wouldn't be added.

Is this the relevant conversation on Eircom's Twitter page?

https://twitter.com/eircom/status/359957189563129856

One tweet by Eircom says the BT Sports channels won't be added to the Sportshub with no changes being made to the site. Can this be interpreted as Setanta remaining on it post August 1st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

1 week to go before BT starts transmission...

Looking forward to it so I am

For UPC viewers, EPG showing "This Channel is no longer available" on ESPN Classic and nothing on ESPN America after 6am Thursday. Perhaps optimistically, listings for the new ESPN are being displayed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 KellyPavlik

Just off the phone to UPC, one of those usual calls trying to sell me a phone line as usual. Seems 8 times saying no is not enough. Anyway, asked about the BT/ESPN situation and not a clue. Basically he said that what ever agreement Sky get UPC will get the same. Seems ridiculous, but anyway that appeas to be the case. If the channels are already showing up on SKY, albeit with nothing on then surely SKY are pretty confident of getting deal in place, and as such UPC should have. I guess price is the only question.

Also, while on to them, I asked about pricing. I understood that I payed extra for ESPN as is on top of the Sky Sports package, but he told me that it is free. He said that initially we had to pay for ESPN but then it changed and was added to the Sports package, but as far as I can see I can not see 1 drop in price for the past 3 years where this may have happened. Anyone else have any similar issues?

If they dont get BT on board, I sense they will lose alot of Irish custom...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Just off the phone to UPC, one of those usual calls trying to sell me a phone line as usual. Seems 8 times saying no is not enough. Anyway, asked about the BT/ESPN situation and not a clue. Basically he said that what ever agreement Sky get UPC will get the same. Seems ridiculous, but anyway that appeas to be the case. If the channels are already showing up on SKY, albeit with nothing on then surely SKY are pretty confident of getting deal in place, and as such UPC should have. I guess price is the only question.

Also, while on to them, I asked about pricing. I understood that I payed extra for ESPN as is on top of the Sky Sports package, but he told me that it is free. He said that initially we had to pay for ESPN but then it changed and was added to the Sports package, but as far as I can see I can not see 1 drop in price for the past 3 years where this may have happened. Anyone else have any similar issues?

ESPN was around €12 a few years back if you had Sky Sports but then it became available as part of the normal Sky Sports package so you should have seen a reduction in your bill. I noticed a reduction in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KellyPavlik

Cheers for the reply. Have to say I never noticed the reduction in bill, but then UPC keep inching their bills up every so often anyway, so I am sure any gain was lost within a few weeks anyway

J

On UPC the situation was different with regard ESPN to Sky, instead of being bundled with Sky Sports it was (and indeed is until we hear different) part of the Digital Value and Max packs.

Nobody knows whats going on with UPC as regards BT Sport. Virgin Media (which is now part of the same company as UPC) customers in the UK are in the same position. But whereas BT is using BT Sport as a driver for broadband subscriptions in the UK (and hence have a reason to keep it off broadband), they are not in competition in the consumer market in Ireland so they have no reason not to do a deal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I think it is very likely that Setanta will do a deal with UPC, if I Recall they went right to the wire 4 years ago when they finally did a deal with Espn,

I have just noticed while looking at the trailer on BT Sports that next seasons Europa League football is to be available only in the UK and will not be available here.

That means that we will continue to receive Europa League football on TV3, Setanta, and ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's probably UPC that are the ones stalling in the negotiations aren't they?

Their big sell with the basic UPC tv subscription was 'it's got Setanta Ireland', and the way they try to up sell a tv subscription was 'you'll get ESPN and the other 2 ESPN channels'.

If UPC lose all these channels as available to subscription only (20 euro), they'll have no USP on their tv content over Sky, which already has many exclusive channels and about 400 (mainly ****e) channels.

UPC simply have to keep some of the channels from the 'Setanta Pack' on their 3 tiers of channel packages, if they don't they may well lose many customers, as all they'll have left is superior broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The other aspect is who is dealing with UPC ? Setanta or BT Sports ?

On Sky, Setanta is the agent - is that the same for UPC?

We don't know how much (if anything) UPC pay for Setanta Ireland - we do know that Setanta have been dependent on the carriage to attract advertisers.
    I would suggest that subscription numbers for Setanta Sports 1 on UPC are very low, same probably goes for the Sky carriage.

Now Setanta have a white knight - BT Sports(incl ESPN) - a sellable product on both UPC & Setanta.

So for Setanta the balance is between advertising thanks to guaranteed carriage on UPC Vs Subscription income, with an advantage by making ESPN & Setanta Ireland subscription only.

And having ESPN for free on Sky & UPC how will the Irish consumer take to having to pay a minimum of €200 for the pleasure now.

The next week will be interesting !

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Any news yet on premier league highlights for 2013-2014 season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭iseegirls

energy1942 wrote: »
    Any news yet on premier league highlights for 2013-2014 season?

No real interest has been mentioned in any of the papers.

TV3's autumn press release is on Aug 15th - they could exclusively announce it then as it's 2 days before the Premier League starts (could be very late scheduling if it's kept a secret till then), but I just feel that Setanata Ireland will go get them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

iseegirls wrote: »
    No real interest has been mentioned in any of the papers.

TV3's autumn press release is on Aug 15th - they could exclusively announce it then as it's 2 days before the Premier League starts (could be very late scheduling if it's kept a secret till then), but I just feel that Setanata Ireland will go get them instead.
    Don't rule RTÉ out the running either, they might just have released the statement that they would not bid in order to get the rights for next to nothing... I have the same feeling though, Setanta will become the home of the PL in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Brian017

Will the BT Sport app be available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

Kariblue1 wrote: »
    I was speaking with a BT rep yestersay online & I was told that mlb would be shown & that BT are interested in 'procuring the rights' to NFL & NBA

NCAA should also be shown

Kariblue1, did they give you much indication as to how much baseball they'll show? it'd hardly be as much as ESPN America now show, but i'm absolutely gutted at to hear ESPN America is going off air, I live for their baseball coverage....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kariblue1

I was only told that there 'might be a slight reduction' however it should be nothing to worry about considering its really only the 1 chanel now that would be showing it. I've seen some tv guides for some days on other forums & baseball will be shown on ESPN on a regular basis so its all good for now anyway.

Also I was told that NBA 'should be' shown in October but I kind of doubt this because of Sky but it would be great to from MLB into NCAA & NBA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I assume ESPN still has some NBA rights. They had them last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kariblue1

thats the million dollar Q man, if u noticed the season just gone sky was showing a good few of the games along with ESPN (perhaps more). Hopefully BT's ESPN branded channel will carry the games as its quiet a popular sport in both the UK & Here but BT are yet to release an actual statement on the sports that will be available on its ESPN channel (baring of course the already known sports which have to be due to contractual reasons) . The only thing I can think of that lets me to believe that NBA will be shown is that ESPN in the US hold a lot of rights & they recently signed a multi year deal for the right on its UK channel (I could be mistaken tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Was just looking on the Setanta page to see how much the package will cost on Sky, I notice if you pay upfront for the twelve months its €199 in the republic, but if you say you are in Northern Ireland it's only 125 Sterling which is only €145. Is this something to do with the premiership Saturday 3pm kick-offs being blocked in Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Arciphel wrote: »
    Was just looking on the Setanta page to see how much the package will cost on Sky, I notice if you pay upfront for the twelve months its €199 in the republic, but if you say you are in Northern Ireland it's only 125 Sterling which is only €145. Is this something to do with the premiership Saturday 3pm kick-offs being blocked in Northern Ireland?

in NI subscribing to Setanta is for setanta ireland and Setanta sports 1 only

BT Sport/Espn is a separate Sub with BT.

The BT Sport channels and ESPN are being looked after by Setanta in ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

4 days to go and still no sign of BT Sports on UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Well to be honest I think is fair enough value the €199 for the year. I want to get it for my dad for an early christmas present, and if it is on his sub then I presume he will be able to watch those channels online as well on the Sky Go app, am I correct?

Advertisement