Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

For 20 quid a month this is a great package for the sports fan, they've only used 5 from their top 18 picks for their first few months.

Will be very interesting to see how the second phase of games goes for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Infoanon wrote: »
    UPC are carrying promos for BT Sports so its highly likely they will appear, presently the BT Sports channels are carrying UK specific promos which is a possible reason for them not appearing yet - that and the price has not yet been announced !

With ESPN Classic and ESPN America ceasing its possible that BT Sports 1 & 2 will simply appear on those spots on the EPG

My big hope (probably unrealistic) is that the reason UPC haven't announced an agreement with setanta yet is because they're still trying to bargain them down a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

My big hope (probably unrealistic) is that the reason UPC haven't announced an agreement with setanta yet is because they're still trying to bargain them down a few quid

At best probably the same price as Setanta on Sat with the bonus of ESPN and Setanta Ireland remaining 'non-premium'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Why quote me? :confused: The question asked was if you needed Sky HD to get the BT Sports channels in HD. You don't.

All you need is a satellite dish and a box with a CAM slot, pointing at the right dish. I never referred to UPC.

Lets not say CAM slots here, officially, Sky viewing cards (which when it comes to the crunch these viewing cards are) are not authorised for use in anything other than a Sky Digibox

At best probably the same price as Setanta on Sat with the bonus of ESPN and Setanta Ireland remaining 'non-premium'

I'd settle for that. It's the College football/baseball is what I'm most after.

• Advertisement

I can't see ESPN being available as a non-premium on cable & this could be one of the main hurdle these talks are be dragged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

byte wrote: »
    The HD channels are included.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger/ see the FAQ below.
    Shame there's no obvious plans for Setanta HD channel.
    marco2068 wrote: »
    I assume you have to subscribe to sky hd to get access to these?

Sorry guys what i ment was, I subscribe to setanta but not sky(so only €16 a month) will i be able to get access to the hd channels without having skyhd?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry guys what i ment was, I subscribe to setanta but not sky(so only €16 a month) will i be able to get access to the hd channels without having skyhd?
    Yes you will get the BT sports 1 & 2 channels in HD without a sky sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yeah! .. basically sky have nothing at all to do with it and you are dealing with Setanta for everything including the HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Why quote me? :confused: The question asked was if you needed Sky HD to get the BT Sports channels in HD. You don't.

All you need is a satellite dish and a box with a CAM slot, pointing at the right dish. I never referred to UPC.

Just adding a point of view...Jeez! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

byte wrote: »
    The HD channels are included.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger/ see the FAQ below.
    Shame there's no obvious plans for Setanta HD channel.

Do you think so?

I would say the FAQ is a bit vague on if they are part of the package price

under What channels will be part of the pack? it says the "subscribers to the Setanta Sports pack will receive 5 channels", lists them, then "BT Sport and ESPN channels will also be available in HD."
    and under Will I be able to view the channels in HD? it states "BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN will all be available in HD."

available as part of the pack? or available at an extra cost?

in another Q. further down When will the new package be available?
    "Setanta Ireland and Premier Sports are available now and from August 1st BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN will be added to the bundle."

I suppose i'm looking to see the channels listed as part of it or the word included used instead of available but you see what i mean

• Company Representative Posts: 47 Verified rep Setanta Sports: Niall

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Do you think so?

I would say the FAQ is a bit vague on if they are part of the package price

under What channels will be part of the pack? it says the "subscribers to the Setanta Sports pack will receive 5 channels", lists them, then "BT Sport and ESPN channels will also be available in HD."
    and under Will I be able to view the channels in HD? it states "BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN will all be available in HD."

available as part of the pack? or available at an extra cost?

in another Q. further down When will the new package be available?
    "Setanta Ireland and Premier Sports are available now and from August 1st BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN will be added to the bundle."

I suppose i'm looking to see the channels listed as part of it or the word included used instead of available but you see what i mean

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion.

If you're a Setanta Pack satellite customer you'll receive ESPN HD, BT Sport 1 HD and BT Sport 2 HD at no extra cost, as long as you have a HD box.

Thanks,

Niall

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion.

If you're a Setanta Pack satellite customer you'll receive ESPN HD, BT Sport 1 HD and BT Sport 2 HD at no extra cost, as long as you have a HD box.

Thanks,

Niall
    Just when we have you here Niall are there any proposals to upgrade the Setanta pic quality to basic SD?

Yes, it is that bad at times.

• Company Representative Posts: 47 Verified rep Setanta Sports: Niall

muffler wrote: »
    Just when we have you here Niall are there any proposals to upgrade the Setanta pic quality to basic SD?

Yes, it is that bad at times.

Hi Muffler,

There are no immediate plans for a Setanta HD channel.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Naill

in all fairness, how can you expect someone to pay 20euro a month for a picture on satellite that is barely better than a pixallelated mess most of the time?

anyway thanks for replying quickly to the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Does anyone know what american sports content and programmes will be on the new ESPN ?

If its less than ESPN America I probably won't subscribe as I have no interest in other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kariblue1

I was speaking with a BT rep yestersay online & I was told that mlb would be shown & that BT are interested in 'procuring the rights' to NFL & NBA

NCAA should also be shown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Sky have the rights for the NFL for 3 years and that commenced in September 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

I phoned UPC yesterday to find out about this and they said it's BT that are holding everything up because they haven't told UPC what way they want to bundle the channels yet.

She did hint that ESPN would be included and it wouldn't be an extra charge since it's free already but obviously she couldn't confirm that yet

Hi Muffler,

Niall
    Thanks Niall but it was SD I mentioned.

Setanta are surely aware of the atrociously poor picture quality on their sports channels.

• Advertisement

Berty44 wrote: »
    Sky have the rights for the NFL for 3 years and that commenced in September 2012

Isn't that only for the Sunday 6/9pm games and Thursday night games? I presume C4 still have SNF but MNF is still up for grabs. And if they get that, they might get one of the Countdown shows and the ability to show ATH and PTI in full again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Does anyone know what american sports content and programmes will be on the new ESPN ?

If its less than ESPN America I probably won't subscribe as I have no interest in other sports.

MLB will be on ESPN
    NHL will be on Setanta/Premier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Isn't that only for the Sunday 6/9pm games and Thursday night games? I presume C4 still have SNF but MNF is still up for grabs. And if they get that, they might get one of the Countdown shows and the ability to show ATH and PTI in full again

Yep thats correct but the premium games will be on Sky. Don't think anyone even bid for MNF and it was on a BBC red button only.

I think ESPN had to cut the Countdown show because of Sky's rights ( could be wrong about this ). It also affected shows like Sportcenter which was completely pulled and PTI which now has videos pulled so you only have the verbals ( why I listen to its podcast )

Hi Muffler,

Niall

Can you tell us if UPC have an exclusive on your HD channel, if not can you tell us why we can't watch Setanta HD on satellite?

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Can you tell us if UPC have an exclusive on your HD channel, if not can you tell us why we can't watch Setanta HD on satellite?
    Already asked him that last week, you just get the "no current plans to launch" without any explanation :rolleyes: ... same thing on the phone.... you would swear it was a subscription broadcaster..

Considering they could not afford to maintain a separate transponder for SS1, money or lack of, is probably the major reason why Setanta HD has not appeared on Sky/Astra

Considering they could not afford to maintain a separate transponder for SS1, money or lack of, is probably the major reason why Setanta HD has not appeared on Sky/Astra

RTE can easily get their HD channel onto a frequency with the rest of the Irish channels on 28e - so that theory doesn't wash.

I'm sure UPC have signed an exclusive for Setanta HD.

RTE can easily get their HD channel onto a frequency with the rest of the Irish channels on 28e - so that theory doesn't wash.

Almost certainly this is the case, just out of curiosity does anyone know what bitrate Setanta HD and other HD channels run on UPC? .. Are they about the same/better or worse them their counterparts on satellite?

RTEs carriage has nothing to do with Setanta.

RTE get paid by Sky - Setanta have to pay for their carriage

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I think RTEtv's uefa competitive games for the rep of ire from 2014-18 includes some other competitive games such as spain, germany and others. if it is included good deal for rtetv
    I have e-mailed rte today to confirm that

Advertisement