Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

but freesat viewers already have the sky dish but just needs a sky receiver and legal sky card to become subscribers after 17/8/13 its also good PR from sky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    For this reason I'd be amazed if it goes out FTA. It would also defeat the purposes of showing it on Sky Two for satellite customers, as I presumed they were doing this because they would not be able to do so on (FTA) Pick TV
    That's my thoughts on it too...I think sky advisers themselves might be getting confused by the whole situation, I would be shocked if the PL allowed sky broadcast a match FTA making it available in territories where rights have been bid for and bought by other respective broadcasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

irishfeen wrote: »
    That's my thoughts on it too...I think sky advisers themselves might be getting confused by the whole situation, I would be shocked if the PL allowed sky broadcast a match FTA making it available in territories where rights have been bid for and bought by other respective broadcasters.

Once the game itself is soft encrypted to those with a Sky card that will keep the EPL happy, Sky Two as far as I'm aware is on the tight beam for the UK & Ireland to minimize other providers complaining from around Europe too.

It's a good move by Sky but they have had to act with the emergence of BT that's for sure.

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Once the game itself is soft encrypted to those with a Sky card that will keep the EPL happy, Sky Two as far as I'm aware is on the tight beam for the UK & Ireland to minimize other providers complaining from around Europe too.

It's a good move by Sky but they have had to act with the emergence of BT that's for sure.
    Yeah you are probably right but from the link provided it seemed to indicate it would be on pick tv on satellite which is FTA... so as I was saying it might just be the sky advisers themselves getting confused.

Yeah you are probably right but from the link provided it seemed to indicate it would be on pick tv on satellite which is FTA... so as I was saying it might just be the sky advisers themselves getting confused.

Just out of interest is Pick TV on the tight beam?

• Advertisement

Just out of interest is Pick TV on the tight beam?
    Actually don't know that mate, its on 12207 V 27500 2/3... no idea if that's a tight beam.

Actually don't know that mate, its on 12207 V 27500 2/3... no idea if that's a tight beam.

Just checked & its available across Europe with a small enough dish - bit strange if they show this without some sort of encryption wouldn't it?

Just checked & its available across Europe with a small enough dish - bit strange if they show this without some sort of encryption wouldn't it?
    Ultimately I think there is no chance of it happening, the Premier League would have serious questions to answer the broadcasters who paid for exclusive rights for their respective countries where it could be received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

I think sky advisers themselves might be getting confused by the whole situation.

Yes. There's a couple of further posts in that forum expressing doubts along similar lines.

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/Pick-TV-17th-August-What-will-we-receive/m-p/10660#M1321

Yes. There's a couple of further posts in that forum expressing doubts along similar lines.

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/Pick-TV-17th-August-What-will-we-receive/m-p/10660#M1321
    It certainly would make sense if it was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The a516 digital site suggesting that Pick TV's pan european beam will seemingly prevent PL football being aired on the satellite version of this channel.
    The free action is unlikely to be broadcast on the satellite version of PICK TV (available on Freesat channel 144 and Sky channel 152) due to rights issues as the free-to-air PICK TV signal reaches most of Europe - the channel broadcasts on a pan-European transponder unlike the BBC, itv and Channel 4.

I'd still point people back to Sky Sports own press release of 4 July on the 'free first day' which says that:
    To celebrate the first day of the Premier League season and Sky Sports' new line up of football, programmes from Sky Sports 1 will replace the regular programming on Sky 2 (on Sky and other pay TV services) and Pick TV (on Freeview and You View) on Saturday 17th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I've a question. Does anybody know if the Arsenal - Villa game on the first week of the season will be on Setanta Ireland or Setanta Sports 1?

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I've a question. Does anybody know if the Arsenal - Villa game on the first week of the season will be on Setanta Ireland or Setanta Sports 1?
    I would think the vast majority will be on Setanta Ireland because Setanta Sports 1 won't actually exist by that stage as its replaced by Premier Sports (identical to the UK) on the Irish epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I would think the vast majority will be on Setanta Ireland because Setanta Sports 1 won't actually exist by that stage as its replaced by Premier Sports (identical to the UK) on the Irish epg.

If that was to happen you would probably find Setanta Ireland becoming a premium channel, if Setanta Ireland remains 'free' on UPC then expect a 50:50 split between Setanta Ireland and Premier Sports - Premier sports will be blocked in the UK for the duration of the game, similar to Premier being blocked in Ireland when GAA is being shown

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Infoanon wrote: »
    If that was to happen you would probably find Setanta Ireland becoming a premium channel, if Setanta Ireland remains 'free' on UPC then expect a 50:50 split between Setanta Ireland and Premier Sports - Premier sports will be blocked in the UK for the duration of the game, similar to Premier being blocked in Ireland when GAA is being shown

It already has happened, Setanta Sports 1 no longer has existed as an independent entity since April. All that's left of it is the EPG label and any ROI-only programmes that have been aired on the channel, chiefly Premier League matches that were aired in April and May and, as you outline, were blocked in the UK on Premier Sports. Otherwise, it is now Premier Sports in all but name. The name is supposed to go by 1st August though that will not stop Premier League games being aired on the channel (in the exact manner you outline) next season subject to Premier Sports own schedule.

icdg wrote: »
    It already has happened, Setanta Sports 1 no longer has existed as an independent entity since April. All that's left of it is the EPG label and any ROI-only programmes that have been aired on the channel, chiefly Premier League matches that were aired in April and May and, as you outline, were blocked in the UK on Premier Sports. Otherwise, it is now Premier Sports in all but name. The name is supposed to go by 1st August though that will not stop Premier League games being aired on the channel (in the exact manner you outline) next season subject to Premier Sports own schedule.
    Do you know if Setanta Ireland will continue to be free on Eircom/UPC after August 1. If that agreement is ended we will probably see almost all matches move to Setanta Ireland to keep blackout in the UK on Premier Sports to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Do you know if Setanta Ireland will continue to be free on Eircom/UPC after August 1. If that agreement is ended we will probably see almost all matches move to Setanta Ireland to keep blackout in the UK on Premier Sports to a minimum.

Surely this..

Why would Setanta annoy English viewers by blocking games when they can just put them on Setata Ireland and in HD..

Makes absolute no sense putting them on Premier. Premier will just keep showing NHL, GAA and Conference games!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It is mindless that they continue with this same feed for both UK and Ireland. When I was a Setanta subscriber on satellite it used to annoy me greatly to see This Program Is Not Available when live GAA Championship games were on for UK customers. I am sure there are many annoyed customers in the UK when Premier Sports is blocked over there too.

lertsnim wrote: »
    It is mindless that they continue with this same feed for both UK and Ireland. When I was a Setanta subscriber on satellite it used to annoy me greatly to see This Program Is Not Available when live GAA Championship games were on for UK customers. I am sure there are many annoyed customers in the UK when Premier Sports is blocked over there too.
    Yeah that why I think we might see the end of Setanta Ireland being free on Eircom/UPC sooner rather then later. It would mean viewers in the UK would only be subject to a blackout only when its absolutely necessary.

Makes absolute no sense putting them on Premier. Premier will just keep showing NHL, GAA and Conference games!

Makes absolute sense as long as some EPL games are shown 'free' on Setanta Ireland - if Setanta Ireland becomes premium only then would it make sense to switch the channel.

• Advertisement

I assume UPC paid Setanta a fee to get it for free for certain subscribers.
    Then again UPC still have no answer to if they will even have BT Sports, they may just keep things teh way they are... They have no Sky F1, might be the same with BT!

Infoanon wrote: »
    Makes absolute sense as long as some EPL games are shown 'free' on Setanta Ireland - if Setanta Ireland becomes premium only then would it make sense to switch the channel.

Yes but by annoying UK customers?
    Better off leaving them on Setanta Ireland and entice users to get the full package with BT Sports included...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

are the HD channels included in the €20 or does anyone know how much extra they'll be?

they're £3 extra in the UK is it, so maybe €5

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Surely this..

Why would Setanta annoy English viewers by blocking games when they can just put them on Setata Ireland and in HD..

It does if Setanta Ireland continues to be included in the basic package on UPC - it provides UPC customers with "a taste of the action" and an enticement to subscribe to the full package. Incidentally Premier Sports have lost the rights to the Conference to none other than BT - it didn't sit well in any case with their offering which is largely aimed at ex-pats from other English speaking countries.
    lertsnim wrote: »

Its of dubious merit alright. There are big problems - e.g. if a Grand Prix had been scheduled this coming weekend (as it was last year), Setanta would have been faced with moving it to Premier Sports (as they did to Setanta Sports 1 last year and were met with a barrage of criticism as they had previously indicated every GP would be live on Setanta Ireland. It didn't help that it was one of the races the BBC were not covering). Nonetheless it seems to be the road Setanta are bent on going down, they would not be removing the Setanta Sports 1 name if it was only a temporary measure.
    Yeah that why I think we might see the end of Setanta Ireland being free on Eircom/UPC sooner rather then later.

I think it may well happen, we shall have to wait and see...
    I assume UPC paid Setanta a fee to get it for free for certain subscribers.
    Then again UPC still have no answer to if they will even have BT Sports, they may just keep things teh way they are... They have no Sky F1, might be the same with BT!

There's a big difference. Sky doesn't offer Sky Sports F1 (or Sky Atlantic) to UPC subscribers as it offers an advantage to its platform over UPC. This is completely different - BT/Setanta have absolutely no reason not to offer their channels to UPC and every reason to do so.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

batistuta9 wrote: »
    are the HD channels included in the €20 or does anyone know how much extra they'll be?

they're £3 extra in the UK is it, so maybe €5
    The HD channels are included.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger/ see the FAQ below.
    Shame there's no obvious plans for Setanta HD channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

I assume you have to subscribe to sky hd to get access to these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No. You don't need to subscribe to Sky at all.

No. You don't need to subscribe to Sky at all.
    So far UPC dont carry these channels post August 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Why quote me? :confused: The question asked was if you needed Sky HD to get the BT Sports channels in HD. You don't.

All you need is a satellite dish and a box with a CAM slot, pointing at the right dish. I never referred to UPC.

• Advertisement

UPC are carrying promos for BT Sports so its highly likely they will appear, presently the BT Sports channels are carrying UK specific promos which is a possible reason for them not appearing yet - that and the price has not yet been announced !

With ESPN Classic and ESPN America ceasing its possible that BT Sports 1 & 2 will simply appear on those spots on the EPG

Advertisement