Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

irishfeen wrote: »
    Here's a list I make up each year after the fixtures are announced, makes it a lot easier to read... feel free to use it if you want, I've mine already stuck up on the back of the wardrobe door :) PS. I don't mean any copyright infringement with the use of the logos, its just for information purposes.

30wqyhl.jpg

Full Table:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/plp7wou2qw7nxhs/Prem%20League%20Fixtures.docx?n=62496262

Your listed matches for Setanta on weeks 2 and 3 will not be the ones broadcast ;)

You'd think Setanta would liaise with the PL before nominating their fixtures, although it was obvious that both matches (Spurs v Swansea & Chelsea v Aston Villa) would have to be moved away from their respective Saturdays.

This happens every season; had to inform them one year that Everton v MUFC had been moved to 12pm on police advice and that they should stop advertising it as live on their channel. They claimed they weren't aware it had been moved!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Dear god a poster for the armchair fan to sit on his/her chair and get aroused by whos playing next...What is up with this country...Get out there and watch some live football..

Anyway, still waiting for UPC to get the finger out here. Why do they always leave it last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Dear god a poster for the armchair fan to sit on his/her chair and get aroused by whos playing next...What is up with this country...Get out there and watch some live football..

Anyway, still waiting for UPC to get the finger out here. Why do they always leave it last minute?

Hmmmm rants about people watching football on telly, then gives out about UPC dragging their heels;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

icdg wrote: »
    The answer is no, pricing on cable has yet to be announced.. My own gut feeling is that we will be lucky to keep the "free" (in reality on cable nothing is free, you're paying for it as part of your basic service) Setanta Ireland. I severly doubt (but would be pleasantly surprised if) ESPN will be still included in the basic package.

It'll be intrested to see what happens here. ESPN x 3 and Setanta Ireland is a massive loss to my package. Theres no way Id keep on paying the same sub if they go. Tricky one for UPC, they may lose a load of customers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

radiowaves wrote: »
    Your listed matches for Setanta on weeks 2 and 3 will not be the ones broadcast ;)

You'd think Setanta would liaise with the PL before nominating their fixtures, although it was obvious that both matches (Spurs v Swansea & Chelsea v Aston Villa) would have to be moved away from their respective Saturdays.

This happens every season; had to inform them one year that Everton v MUFC had been moved to 12pm on police advice and that they should stop advertising it as live on their channel.
    The matches are subject to change :) and are easily changed..

• Advertisement

Leave my list alone please :), I just do it every year and it very handy for the fantasy football too if you have players playing in teams outside your own... just don't look at it if you want, no one forcing you.

The matches are subject to change :) and are easily changed..

I'm knocking Setanta, not you - just to clarify.

Point is they were officially moved before yesterday's tv announcements - and everyone knew they would have to be since the fixture release in June. So the matches aren't ""subject to change", they had already been changed.

As per my point on original post re Manchester United, the cynic in me thinks advertising them as live might be deliberate.

BTW thanks for the easy to read list.

radiowaves wrote: »
    I'm knocking Setanta, not you - just to clarify.

Point is they were officially moved before yesterday's tv announcements - and everyone knew they would have to be since the fixture release in June. So the matches aren't ""subject to change", they had already been changed.

As per my point on original post re Manchester United, the cynic in me thinks advertising them as live might be deliberate.

BTW thanks for the easy to read list.
    We don't know yet what match they will pick so i'll change it when that becomes apparent... no problem and shur you can change it all you want :)

no problem and shur you can change it all you want :)

Nothing to change until Setanta get their act together...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Saw an advert on ESPN last night their showing Major League Soccer, Bundesliga and the Fa Cup this season.

Im also surprised that all of the games Sky are showing are all on Sky Sports 1.

Looking forward to the new season because theres hardly anything to watch at the moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Hmmmm rants about people watching football on telly, then gives out about UPC dragging their heels;);)

Yes thats right, Im moaning about not being able to watch football...hmmmm :confused:
    Ill nip down to the local Ice Hockey rink or Baseball field there and watch the local Cork team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Will Sky definitely be showing all the games on SS1?

wouldn't be like them to make it as cheap as possible, maybe the haven't sorted what channels they'll be on yet

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I think all the Premier League matches will remain on Sky Sports 1, because Sky have revamped their Saturday schedule for Sky Sports 1. They will begin the day with Football League, i.e. Championship, at noon, then preview the 3pm matches before they simulcast Soccer Saturday with Sky Sports News and finally finish the day off with a PL match at 5:30pm. I would only expect midweek matches on Sky Sports 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

sigmundv wrote: »
    I think all the Premier League matches will remain on Sky Sports 1, because Sky have revamped their Saturday schedule for Sky Sports 1. They will begin the day with Football League, i.e. Championship, at noon, then preview the 3pm matches before they simulcast Soccer Saturday with Sky Sports News and finally finish the day off with a PL match at 5:30pm. I would only expect midweek matches on Sky Sports 2.

bt sport has all the midweek games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

What about the last day of the season when two teams can win the title? For example 2 years ago when United were on Sky Sports 2 and City on Sky Sports 1. Will that still be happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Chris Ryan wrote: »
    What about the last day of the season when two teams can win the title? For example 2 years ago when United were on Sky Sports 2 and City on Sky Sports 1. Will that still be happening?
    How about waiting till the season kicks off and then another 9 months ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Sky has certainly kicked some BT ass with the games they are screening live up until November.

Other than the Merseyside derby the rest of the games are probably second rate imo on BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Brian017

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Sky has certainly kicked some BT ass with the games they are screening live up until November.

Other than the Merseyside derby the rest of the games are probably second rate imo on BT.

Maybe BT are holding back most of their 1st picks til the business end of the season? Although I thought they'd pick the United/Chelsea game on the 2nd weekend as one of these picks, purely to drive the early subscription numbers up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Brian017 wrote: »
    Maybe BT are holding back most of their 1st picks til the business end of the season? Although I thought they'd pick the United/Chelsea game on the 2nd weekend as one of these picks, purely to drive the early subscription numbers up a bit

That's true. Apparently they've only used 5 of their 18 first choice picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭webpal

Am I the only one who's going the miss the baseball on espn America? all of the short unadvertised programme fillers when games finish early, the gut wrenching, awe inspiring e:60 programmes that make you feel irrelevant when you see what these people have been through, baseball tonight, 30 for 30, the odd college football game and ok I'll admit I once watched a Canadian football game. These are the only reasons I have espn. Setanta have said they will cover MLB but I can't imagine it's going to be the same. A lot of talk here about soccer, but a Saturday night with a few beers watching Yankees and Red Sox is right up there with el Classico, old firm etc for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And for €432.96 you can get a 12 month viewing card <MOD EDIT: DELETED>
    Jesus, there's some chancers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

ftakeith wrote: »
    bt sport has all the midweek games
    That's right, I stand corrected. Then it's Sky Sports 1 only for Premier League bar the final round of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Any idea how much you can save by downgrading to just Sky Sports 1?

Brian017 wrote: »

BT were not in a position to choose Manchester United v Chelsea, Sky picked it.

Sky decide when BT use their first picks. BT aren't holding anything back! The first opportunity BT had to use a first pick was week 4. Sky forced their hand because if they hadn't picked Manchester United v Crystal Palace they would have had no MUFC match until week 6 at the earliest (sacrificing one of their more attractive ties - Spurs v Chelsea - to do so).

5 of BT's first picks can only happen from December onwards - Sky have no say on those matchdays.

So, in effect, BT only have 8 weekend first picks left for 2/3s of the season, and Sky will only let them exercise those picks on weaker matchdays.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Consider yourself warned - aside from any thing else, think about it, this is a forum for discussing Broadcasting and your criticising people for discussing television.

If you want to extole the virtues of going down to your local league ground, take it to Soccer. There'll be a ban for the next person to do so here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/Pick-TV-17th-August-What-will-we-receive/m-p/10660#M1321

the last comment appears that sky confirmed pick tv freesat will have swansea v man utd free to air on august 17th 2013

ftakeith wrote: »
    http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/Pick-TV-17th-August-What-will-we-receive/m-p/10660#M1321

the last comment appears that sky confirmed pick tv freesat will have swansea v man utd free to air on august 17th 2013
    That would be amazing because it would mean a PL game would be FTA and available to be viewed across Europe.... surely that's a first in the PL era?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

That would be amazing because it would mean a PL game would be FTA and available to be viewed across Europe.... surely that's a first in the PL era?

Ditto. It would go against all the various PL territorial rights arrangements surely?

Just wondering will that particular programme on Pick TV via satellite be soft encrypted so a Sky FTV card will be at least needed to view it, thereby protecting these rights arrangements for UK & Ire viewing only??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Infoanon

they can also make use of the 'red button' option

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Presumably it will work the same as previous years, i.e. broadcasters will be allowed retain picks for the last day. Both Sky and Setanta usually do but, although ESPN did in their first season, they stopped doing so after that as Sky normally had the deciding games anyway.
    Batesy wrote: »
    Any idea how much you can save by downgrading to just Sky Sports 1?

Its €20 pm for just Sky Sports 1, so you save €15 pm. No guarentee that Sky will show every game on Sky Sports 1 though, although they do (more or less) guarantee that they will not show any Premier League on Sky Sports 3 or 4.
    Ditto. It would go against all the various PL territorial rights arrangements surely?

For this reason I'd be amazed if it goes out FTA. It would also defeat the purposes of showing it on Sky Two for satellite customers, as I presumed they were doing this because they would not be able to do so on (FTA) Pick TV.
    Just wondering will that particular programme on Pick TV via satellite be soft encrypted so a Sky FTV card will be at least needed to view it, thereby protecting these rights arrangements for UK & Ire viewing only??

That's an option, though worth noting that this would only benefit "Freesat from Sky" viewers - "true" Freesat viewers would still be out in the cold. Worth noting that what was then Sky Three was originally FTV rather than FTA.

Advertisement