Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with Mickey Harte?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

Why on earth does Mickey Harte support these characters?

because the system is setup in such a way as to give these "respected" fools a voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Who are these many people? I don't know who you hang around with but I don't know anyone who has committed a sexual offence, drunk or sober. Do you consider voluntary intoxication to be a defence to a sexual offence charge?

The throwing out of the van was not a sexual assault, it was an assault and a serious one.
    Two people who had, according to the evidence, consumed a large amount of alcohol got into a van after meeting in a pub.
    Now, it doesn't take a genius to work out what was going on there. The situation got out of hand, he admits he crossed the line and committed a crime, and will be sentenced for that. Rightly so.
    Now, are you telling me that this situation doesn't and hasn't happened every weekend, up and down the country? It does, and that is what I mean't by 'many people'. You are just sticking your head in the sand if you say that it doesn't.
    That is not excusing the behaviour, but it is admitting that it happens, people learn, either by facing the law or by self guilt and self control. The country isn't over-run by sexual deviants. If he is a serial sexual offender, lock him up and throw away the key. Otherwise, give him a chance at redemption, many people have lived productive and law abiding lives after the same wake up call.
    It's not abandonment.

I don't see the point in these references. Clearly, they are allowed but surely they just get in the way? I mean, shouldn't a case just be about the available evidence and testimony from the people involved? Asking people who are not directly involved seems to muddy the water.
    Because a judge needs to know the character of the person before him before he passes sentence, the police would also be asked to profile him for balance. Don't assume this is some great conspiracy to set a deviant free because he knows someone famous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Because a judge needs to know the character of the person before him before he passes sentence

Why? If a person is judged to have committed an offence, they should be sentenced accordingly. And I've never understood the "He comes from a good family and is a good person" type reference. Surely that makes the crime worse? :confused: That he/she came from a stable upbringing and still committed the crime they did? No asummption of conspiracy here, whatever you mean by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Does he deserve to monikered 'scumbag' and a deviant all his life or at all?
    Yes.

A sexual offence can be a stupid offence. Many people commit them when drunk, are they sexually deviant, not neccessarily.
    Many people commit public order offences while drunk, are they serial offenders or habitual crimminals....absolutely not.
    I am not trying to make light of what he did, he deserves to be punished.

The Irish defence. Anything done while drunk is excusable.

How about getting so drunk that you do such things is inexcusable? Oh, sorry, I forgot, it's Ireland, no personal responsibility. Ah sure god love him, it was the drink...

• Advertisement

Why? If a person is judged to have committed an offence, they should be sentenced accordingly. And I've never understood the "He comes from a good family and is a good person" type reference. Surely that makes the crime worse? :confused: That he/she came from a stable upbringing and still committed the crime they did? No asummption of conspiracy here, whatever you mean by that.

Because it's a person, it's call mitigation. Our courts don't operate on a 'they're guilty, hang 'em high' basis. We discovered the error of that way in the past.
    To think the judge would lessen the sentence because of a reference from somebody famous or from anybody for that matter, is a conspiracy theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stanley 2

Short answer is, he's an asshole.
    Yes his family suffered a terrible tragedy, but he's still a small minded, fundamentalist, interfering asshole.

any man or woman who reads the Gospel and trys to put in to affect the world will hate

The Irish defence. Anything done while drunk is excusable.

How about getting so drunk that you do such things is inexcusable? Oh, sorry, I forgot, it's Ireland, no personal responsibility. Ah sure god love him, it was the drink...

Did you miss the last sentence or just do the internet moralist thingy and ignore it?
    I am not trying to make light of what he did, he deserves to be punished.

stanley 2 wrote: »
    any man or woman who reads the Gospel and trys to put in to affect the world will hate

The Gospel says defend drunks who sexually and physically assault other people? Could you give us chapter and verse?

• Advertisement

Because it's a person, it's call mitigation.

I don't consider a person coming from a stable background a mitigating circumstance, call me crazy.

As for thinking a reference will lessen a sentence, hopefully not. If that's not the purpose of it, then why ask for them at all?

The Gospel says defend drunks who sexually and physically assault other people? Could you give us chapter and verse?
    the Gospel says set prisoners free

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but your statement would make more sense with a comma or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

So by that logic, if you come from an unstable upbringing and commit a crime, the blame is lessened?

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but your statement would make more sense with a comma or two!
    yes but then you would not have read it twice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a haiku, or something

any man or woman who, reads the Gospel and trys to put in;
    to affect, the world will hate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Another point

When Mickey was asked for areference he surely looked at both cases

thus he looked at a sexual assault case and a murder case and deemed that the criminals deserved a lesser sentence..surely thats the point of a reference No? Its not just because he fancies a day out and a few brews on o connell street

Mickey is not under any legal requirement to give this reference.He has been asked to do so,studied the case and acted so

Rasheed wrote: »
    So by that logic, if you come from an unstable upbringing and commit a crime, the blame is lessened?

No, the sentence should be the same in any case. Though in some cases, upbringing undoubtedly is a factor in a crime. To be topical, the boys who murdered James Bolger. Their backgrounds were horrendous and could not be ignored.

I'm simply pointing out that someone from a more stable background had every chance and still committed a horrible crime, so i don't know how pointing out their upbringing is supposed to be a good thing.

Only the drunks who assault people? Or all mass murderers, child rapist, all prisoners including the ones who may choose to assault your elderly parents in their own home?

I don't consider a person coming from a stable background a mitigating circumstance, call me crazy.

I consider somebody showing guilt by pleading guilty a mitigating factor, and if that person shows remorse and the fact that they realise that they have to change, that would also be a mitigating factor. (which may or may not be what MH believes) I could also see how the help and support of a stable family could help in his rehabilitation and that would also be a mitigating factor. Call me human.
    As for thinking a reference will lessen a sentence, hopefully not. If that's not the purpose of it, then why ask for them at all?

The judge will consider sentence when he/she gets a picture of who he'/she is sentencing. That's why a judge gets to pick the sentence, otherwise there would be no need for a 'judge'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The Gospel says a lot of thing.......

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

The book of Deuteronomy

Only the drunks who assault people? Or all mass murderers, child rapist, all prisoners including the ones who may choose to assault your elderly parents in their own home?

thats for you to decide using your own concisence have you tried to help any prisoner

thats for you to decide using your own concisence have you tried to help any prisoner
    He's not a prisoner yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Jewish fairy tales have no place in a modern court of law.

No, I have not. I believe in just retribution from the law of the land.

Helping a prisoner is an entirely different situation, the prisoner has been sentenced and people can help straighten them out....but sticking your oar in to influence the result of a case is not the same!

Helping a prisoner is an entirely different situation, the prisoner has been sentenced and people can help straighten them out....but sticking your oar in to influence the result of a case is not the same!

question are there some prisoners who should be helped and some who should not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Rasheed wrote: »
    What elements? You've proof I'm sure.

Unfortunately, I'd rather not be done for slander/libel etc.

Let me rephrase it. The GAA community are a shining light of decency, common sense and beyond any criticism whatsoever. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a troublemaker, a fiend and possible deviant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

As someone who really admires his work in relation to football, all this recent stuff coming from him makes me uneasy and tbh he's bringing all this crap on himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

old hippy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I'd rather not be done for slander/libel etc.

Let me rephrase it. The GAA community are a shining light of decency, common sense and beyond any criticism whatsoever. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a troublemaker, a fiend and possible deviant.

If you had proof, you wouldn't be done for slander.
    There's no doubt that elements within the GAA community are self serving.

That was your original quote. There is 'no doubt' apparently. So show me the proof of these elements are self serving.

I like the GAA, I'm fairly involved but am under no illusion that it's perfect. Criticise it all you want, only if its fair criticism though.

Advertisement