Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with Mickey Harte?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

that's ok though

So is giving a character reference for someone in court, and attending protests etc. I don't have an issue with anything he does personally. Just find it amusing that his name pops up so often in relation to these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

seamus wrote: »
    As said, it's the ultra-catholic GAA banjo effect. Anyone who goes to church and is involved with the GAA is regarded as being of "good character" and the community will stand by them regardless.

Just because his daughter died tragically and he has a decorated GAA career, doesn't mean he's immune to being a moron.

Talk about tarring a whole organisation with the same brush.

I don't know anyone else in the GAA who would support the offender in question.

Just because Mickey Harte did doesn't mean the GAA as a whole are behind him. I imagine it's quite the oppostie i.e. anyone with a brain cell at all would wish that he went to jail for his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Rasheed wrote: »
    The Brian Carty thing went deeper than just Mickey deciding would was commentating.

I mightn't agree with everything he says, but he's still one of the nicest, most humble men I've ever met.[/QUOTE]

Take it you are referring to the singer from donegal, the rest of us were taliking about the egotistical pratt that manages Tyrone GAA when he is not coaching Youth Defence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

GAA-head 'pillar of the community' schmoozer who will one day successfully run for political office because people are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Do you mean did he write "This man was perfectly within his rights to do what he did to that woman. I fully back the decisions he made that night"? I doubt it.

However, he felt the need to write a character reference for a man who admits sexually assaulting a woman and leaving her half naked on the side of a road. Now, what person in their right mind does that? Especially a man whose own daughter was seriously assaulted (and murdered) not long ago?

This character reference was written with the intention of either getting a lesser sentence or for receiving bail. Either way, it's a slap in the face for that victim.

You have no idea what he wrote, yet you leap, like all internet ranters and warriors, to the conclusion that he 'defended' the actions of this man.
    You leap to the conclusion that he has nothing in his heart but hate and revenge for the killers of his daughter.
    Maybe he is a very christian man as a result of his 'real' experiences and maybe he thinks he can help this man in his redemptive process? Maybe he feels that this man's family supported him at his time of crisis.
    I don't know what his motives are, but I have enough charity in my heart to wait until I know the contents of the 'reference' before I aid and abett the Sindo in one of it's sly assassinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You have no idea what he wrote, yet you leap, like all internet ranters and warriors, to the conclusion that he 'defended' the actions of this man.
    You leap to the conclusion that he has nothing in his heart but hate and revenge for the killers of his daughter.
    Maybe he is a very christian man as a result of his 'real' experiences and maybe he thinks he can help this man in his redemptive process? Maybe he feels that this man's family supported him at his time of crisis.
    I don't know what his motives are, but I have enough charity in my heart to wait until I know the contents of the 'reference' before I aid and abett the Sindo in one of it's sly assassinations.

Were did I say that?

If he is such a good christian man, I would hope as well as providing character references for the self-confessed assailant, he has provided support for the victim of his crime in her time of crisis too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭golfball37

Mickey Harte is everything modern Ireland hates. Irish republican, god fearing, humble, a man who shuns the limelight and the money he could make from it. A more honest and decent man you could not meet.

I shouldn't be surprised Independent newspapers and the usual "useful fools" you'll find in Ireland have something against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Rasheed wrote: »
    The Brian Carty thing went deeper than just Mickey deciding would was commentating.

I mightn't agree with everything he says, but he's still one of the nicest, most humble men I've ever met.

Take it you are referring to the singer from donegal, the rest of us were taliking about the egotistical pratt that manages Tyrone GAA when he is not coaching Youth Defence!

No, I'm taking about the same Mickey Harte as everyone else. I've met him a few times and as I've said, I mightn't agree with everything he says or stands for, but he was a great help to me and I found him to be a lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kraggy wrote: »
    Talk about tarring a whole organisation with the same brush.
    Talk about a knee-jerk reaction.

I never said that the organisation stood behind it at all.

It's a phenomenon in rural communities that revolve around GAA that if you go to mass and help out with the club, you're a saint who can do no wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

golfball37 wrote: »
    Mickey Harte is everything modern Ireland hates. Irish republican, god fearing, humble, a man who shuns the limelight and the money he could make from it. A more honest and decent man you could not meet.

I shouldn't be surprised Independent newspapers and the usual "useful fools" you'll find in Ireland have something against him.
    ya
    where are people getting all these ideas about mickey harte

he showed great dignity and character after his daughters murder

is he arrogant or motivated by money and political ambition-i doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Happyman why did he write the reference note for these case and others? Why in your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

RikkFlair wrote: »
    The world!

How could you forget the lyrics to that unforgettable piece of music history! :eek:
    recyclebin wrote: »
    fixed that for ya
    It was a test...

.. ye failed!

Why?
    Wiley, ffs, the poster hinted that because the woman's husband and father are 'Real GAA men', the case needs to be looked at again. As if they were somehow involved.

Were did I say that?

If he is such a good christian man, I would hope as well as providing character references for the self-confessed assailant, he has provided support for the victim of his crime in her time of crisis too.

You inferred it by dictating how he should feel about the man at the centre of this.

How do you know what approaches he has made to the victim and her family? Are you waiting for the Sindo to tell you that as well?

It's a phenomenon in rural communities that revolve around GAA that if you go to mass and help out with the club, you're a saint who can do no wrong.

You said that "the community will stand by them regardless".

That is simply not true. The GAA get around and support each other when someones been in an accident or someone's died etc. I can't think of a single instance when the GAA stood by a criminal whether as an organisation en masse, or a smaller section of it in a particular county.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Phew, for a moment I was almost feeling homesick :D

You said that "the community will stand by them regardless".
    What gave you the impression that I was talking about the GAA organisation? Clearly I was referring to the local community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

When he came down south here to do a gaa talk he had no bother asking for money

What gave you the impression that I was talking about the GAA organisation? Clearly I was referring to the local community.

You mentioned the GAA in your first 2 sentences. Are you seriously going to try and cover your arse now and say that you were talking about the community in general and not the GAA?

I especially find it impossible to believe that considering your GAA/banjo insulting reference.

Seamus that's bollox to be honest. I've never seen/ heard anyone in my community or communities near us that some involved the the aforementioned things, immune to being punished for wrong doing.

Yeah, you might be supported through shiite but nobody is going to shield you if you did wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

GAA-head 'pillar of the community' schmoozer who will one day successfully run for political office because people are idiots.

I was thinking the very same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Basq wrote: »
    ♩♪♫♬ "We've got the love tonight.." ♩♪♫♬

you must be the boards.ie resident eurovision expert.

we ve got the world tonight.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You inferred it by dictating how he should feel about the man at the centre of this.

How do you know what approaches he has made to the victim and her family? Are you waiting for the Sindo to tell you that as well?

I inferred nothing of the sort. I haven't the foggiest how he views the murderers of his daughter. Funny how you like to accuse others of jumping to conclusions, then do the very same thing yourself.

I also don't know if he has made any approaches to the victims families. I said being a good christian man, I hoped he had. I somehow doubt it, though.

Also, don't patronise me by inferring where or how I form my opinions. I don't read the Independent, however, I doubt they are making the story up. Do you have information that disproves the article in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I wonder how long it'll be before he's standing for election. The man is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

He's a religious, GAA stalwart who is from a rural part of the Island.

His actions kinda sum up the stereotype that some urban folk have of religious, GAA stalwarts who are from a rural part of the Island tbh.

You mentioned the GAA in your first 2 sentences. Are you seriously going to try and cover your arse now and say that you were talking about the community in general and not the GAA?

I especially find it impossible to believe that considering your GAA/banjo insulting reference.
    Considering that the GAA is an organisation and not a community, I don't feel that I have any arse-covering to do.

Clearly you've got some ultra-reactive chip on your shoulder which causes you to react to anything you may perceive as a slight against GAA.

I love the GAA sports. It's what these sports do to communities at the local level that's irritating, but it's not limited to GAA. If this was a story about Brian O'Driscoll's character reference for a convicted sexual offender, I would equally be criticising small minded church-going rugby zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

tin79 wrote: »
    The second quote tells you why.

Because in crazy GAA, Catholic, banjo country this makes it all OK.

You are a clown.

Its already been mentioned but providing a reference when asked for a man he has known all his life in no way means that he actually condones or agrees with what the man did. Where exactly is anyhting supposed to "make it all ok".

People like you jumping to ignorant conclusions without any actual facts are the reason the general public shouldn't be allowed to know anything important.

sfwcork wrote: »
    Happyman why did he write the reference note for these case and others? Why in your opinion

Having given a few references in my time I can guess why, but it would only be a guess.

Many people commit stupid offences in their youth, have done stupid things that have gone unreported but if they had been reported could have caused them great trouble.
    I have seen this, I have been that stupid in my time too. But I have also seen many many many people successfully grow out of their wild years and become regular, responsible law abiding citizens.
    In any references I have given, that is what I ask myself, is this something that will re-occur, is this behaviour just the wildness and stupidity of youth.
    In my reference I would mention that, in my opinion this is an otherwie good person from a good family and that it is 'my belief' that they will not re-offend. I have never looked to undermine the seriousness of an offence or sought leinency, but it is standard that a judge would look for this stuff before he/she too makes up his/her mind regarding sentencing.
    It's quite possible that this is what happened here, both had been drinking (heavily it would seem)in a pub, there is no mention that she was forced into the car and a situation seems to have gotten out of hand. You can see similar happening in any town or city every weekend, if you look.
    Yes, it was a sexual assault, was it committed by a sexual deviant or pervert, I doubt it very much.
    Again, I don't have the details of the case or if this person has a previous record of sexual assault. Just my opinion.

Considering that the GAA is an organisation and not a community, I don't feel that I have any arse-covering to do.

Clearly you've got some ultra-reactive chip on your shoulder which causes you to react to anything you may perceive as a slight against GAA.

I love the GAA sports. It's what these sports do to communities at the local level that's irritating, but it's not limited to GAA. If this was a story about Brian O'Driscoll's character reference for a convicted sexual offender, I would equally be criticising small minded church-going rugby zealots.

No chip on this shoulder. If I see bollix, I'm going to call it regardless of whether it directly relates to me or not.

Your first post thrice relates to the GAA commnunity which implies that your accusation of said behaviour is commonplace in, and exclusive to, the GAA when in actual fact, neither is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

crazygeryy wrote: »
    you must be the boards.ie resident eurovision expert.

we ve got the world tonight.:rolleyes:
    Basq wrote: »
    It was a test...

.. ye failed!
    * cough *

Advertisement