Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with Mickey Harte?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You still have to provide us with evidence of 'somebody who has pleaded guilty to an offence, getting off because a GAA member wrote a reference', which is what you said was 'typical' of rural GAA people.

Re: your other point about collusion by the guards with citizens to squash crimminal proceedings, I have no doubt what you say might be true, but that isn't confined to rural Ireland or to members of the GAA.
    Why are you sitting idly by if you have evidence of this, anyway? Do you have no feelings for real victims or do you just get annoyed on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

His behaviour is indicative of the mindset. I am sure his daughter would be very proud.
    with all due respect that statement is complete b0ll0x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Meh,just news from a foreign country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

GAA-head 'pillar of the community' schmoozer who will one day successfully run for political office because people are idiots.

You are not wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I think it's a bit naive of people to claim that Harte "was just writing a character reference." I've no doubt that he knew that it would be used by the defence to mitigate the sentence handed down to the defendent. I mean, he's not an idiot. So he knowingly provided his support to an effort to reduce the sentence for a man who committed a serious sexual assault on a woman. That tells me a lot about Harte's own character, and indeed, about the manner in which sexual assault is viewed in certain parts of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

flanzer wrote: »
    Word has it that he's on his way to South Africa to do a character reference for Oscar Pistorius

"This is totally out of character. He never murdered anyone before."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ronan Mc Cusker got 15 months in prison.
    And 15 months on licence.
    And 10 years on the sex offenders register.
    And banned from unsupervised access to children and vulnerable adults.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-21612799

Should have got more IMO. I am sure he will get a nice reception in prison and his reference from Mickey Harte will keep him safe in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eileen Calder

I apologise if this, is not the right place - the following is a statement sent to the press this morning by the Rape Crisis Centre (Belfast) Since then it has come to our attention that the judge explicitly stated he was taking Mr Harte's character reference into consideration.

THE MAXIMUM PENALTY FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT IN NI IS 10 YEARS

The Rape Crisis Centre is deeply concerned about the sentencing of self-confessed sex attacker Ronan McCusker in Derry Crown
    Court.

We would like to state that our Centre has been closely involved with the victim in this case. She is a woman of tremendous
    courage despite all the adversity which she has faced in surviving one of the most serious sexual attacks against an adult woman
    which has come before the Northern Ireland courts for several years.

This victim is a person of utmost integrity and impeccable character - yet she her family have been the victims of a sustained
    attack on their character and reputation which is totally unwarranted and which was epitimised by the appalling decision of Mickey
    Harte to provide a character reference for the dangerous sex attacker who has shown not one iota of remorse for his disgusting crime.

Sadly we cannot ignore the distinct possibility that the astounding decision of Mr Harte's to provide a character reference had a
    direct, material effect on the judge's disgracefully lenient sentence which was handed out to the offender.

WE DEMAND THAT MICKEY HARTE AND THE GAA WHOSE REPUTATION HE HAS TARNISHED ISSUE A SINCERE
    APOLOGY FOR THIS INSULT TO THIS VICTIM AND HER FAMILY WHO HAVE BEEN KEEN GAA MEMBERS FOR
    GENERATIONS - THEY ALSO OWE AN APOLOGY TO THE WOMEN OF IRELAND AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC .
    WE ALSO PUBLICLY ASK MARK DURKIN WHO IS THE LOCAL MP AND INDEED OTHER MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT TO
    ASK THE ATTORNEY GENERAL TO REFER THIS CASE TO THE COURT OF APPEAL ON THE GROUNDS THAT THE
    SENTENCE DETERMINED BY JUDGE GRANT IS "UNDULY LENIENT".
    We respectfully ask that reporters and editors consider the following information which can also be verified by the victim's solicitor
    Padraign Drinnan LLB (90322071)

In this case access to the manifestly important details of the circumstances of the case were based solely on very brief
    submissions by the prosecution and defense lawyers and the Judge's summing up and sentencing - this was because the offender
    , decided at the very last minute to plead guilty in order to get a lighter sentence. The guilty plea resulted in the full evidence not
    being heard and affected the victim's right to have her honest account made public. Most of the press has been denied access to
    material information which has caused distress to the victim and her family.

The facts are as follows.

1. The victim was a close family friend of the offender, he was a regular visitor to her home and played cards with the male
    members of her family. She trusted him absolutely which is why she accepted his word that he would drive her to where her
    partner was the night of the attack. Being totally out of her age range she never saw him either in the light of a potential sexual
    partner and even less so as a potential physical or sexual danger to her. To have it reported that "they met in a bar" while it may
    be true - in isolation of other material facts- it provides a skewed picture of events which can negatively impact on the victim.

2. The victim is disabled and suffers from a long-term incurable , degenerative illness which causes her exceptional physical pain
    and considerable physical weakness and suffering - (there are no mental effects and she is of sound mind). -

McCusker was well aware of her physical disabilities and clearly took advantage of her trust and vulnerability. He preyed upon the
    fact that she was totally unable to defend herself. It is our opinion that this was a clear breach of trust and in legal terms an
    aggravating factor which should have resulted in a longer sentence.

THE VICTIM BELIEVES THAT WHEN McCUSKER DUMPED
    HER OUT AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD HALF NAKED AND UNCONSCIOUS THAT HE ASSUMED SHE WAS ACTUALLY DEAD.

Two complete strangers who found the victim totally unconscious several hours later attested to the fact that they thought they had
    found a dead body a fact which Judge Grant revealed in court.

We believe that given the fact that he knew of her illness that he deliberately put her life in significant danger and drove of
    believing she was dead. Furthermore forensic and medical evidence shows that the victim received internal injuries from
    McCusker's violent attack theseare aggravating factors which ought to have been seriously considered by Judge Grant
    when sentencing.

3. The victim's exact words to our Centre shortly after sentencing were "He will serve about a year and a half in jail and I have already served two and a half years"

She has echoed what survivors of rape have been telling our centre for years. She was terrified to leave her own home to visit
    shops or go into town she was even afraid to attend Mass due to her fear of running into the perpetrator and his family or
    supporters.

3. The fact that this case took two and a half years to get to court and that sentencing was abruptly adjourned without notice at
    least three times is disgraceful. This is an injustice to ALL parties in any serious legal case.

WE RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT THE LORD CHIEF JUSTICE EXAMINE JUDGE GRAN'T'S OVERALL MISHANDLING OF
    THIS CASE AND ITS IMPLICATIONS FOR BOTH VICTIMS AND ACCUSED IN THE FAILURE OF THE NORTHERN IRELAND
    COURTS TO ALLOW DEFENDANTS A RIGHT TO A FAIR AND TIMELY TRIAL AND SPARE VICTIMS THE AGONY OF
    WAITING OVER TWO YEARS FOR JUSTICE.

Finally we would like to say that this case reflects a recent trend of Judges downgrading the sentencing for sexual assaults in
    Northern Ireland and is the third such case that we have had in as many months. We call on all politicians and authorities to do
    something immediately to ameliorate the emotional pain and the injustice suffered by rape survivors in Northern Ireland.

(apologies for extreme length of statement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

And 10 years on the sex offenders register.

Should be on the register for life.

I apologise if this, is not the right place - the following is a statement sent to the press this morning by the Rape Crisis Centre (Belfast) Since then it has come to our attention that the judge explicitly stated he was taking Mr Harte's character reference into consideration.

Thanks for posting that Eileen, it certainly does shed some light on the case when we see the details from the victims perspective rather than solely what was reported in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

That statement makes for very distressing reading. Nice to know that Mickey Harte feels this guy is worthy of a character reference.

Ah but sure we were all young once, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The throwing out of the van was not a sexual assault, it was an assault and a serious one.
    Two people who had, according to the evidence, consumed a large amount of alcohol got into a van after meeting in a pub.
    Now, it doesn't take a genius to work out what was going on there. The situation got out of hand, he admits he crossed the line and committed a crime, and will be sentenced for that. Rightly so.
    Now, are you telling me that this situation doesn't and hasn't happened every weekend, up and down the country? It does, and that is what I mean't by 'many people'. You are just sticking your head in the sand if you say that it doesn't.
    That is not excusing the behaviour, but it is admitting that it happens, people learn, either by facing the law or by self guilt and self control. The country isn't over-run by sexual deviants. If he is a serial sexual offender, lock him up and throw away the key. Otherwise, give him a chance at redemption, many people have lived productive and law abiding lives after the same wake up call.

Because a judge needs to know the character of the person before him before he passes sentence, the police would also be asked to profile him for balance. Don't assume this is some great conspiracy to set a deviant free because he knows someone famous.

I hope your proud of this nonsense you've spouted in light of that statement by the rape crisis center. Shame on you and all of your ilk who impugn the dignity of the victims of sexual assault. And shame on that backward cretin Harte for tacitly condoning the actions of a deviant.

That statement confirms what many people were saying in this thread all along. I dont think ive ever come across a statement as strongly worded as that from an official body in my life. The RCC are used to pitiful sentences being handed out, for them to be that upset over a custodial sentence leads me to believe this was an horrific incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

WE RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT THE LORD CHIEF JUSTICE EXAMINE JUDGE GRAN'T'S OVERALL MISHANDLING OF
    THIS CASE AND ITS IMPLICATIONS FOR BOTH VICTIMS AND ACCUSED IN THE FAILURE OF THE NORTHERN IRELAND
    COURTS TO ALLOW DEFENDANTS A RIGHT TO A FAIR AND TIMELY TRIAL AND SPARE VICTIMS THE AGONY OF
    WAITING OVER TWO YEARS FOR JUSTICE.
    In what way do you feel the case was mishandled, in an overall context?

What has the speed at which the court services operate got to do with Mickey harte?

padd b1975 wrote: »

What has the speed at which the court services operate got to do with Mickey harte?

What the fcuk has Mickey Harte got to do with the case, and what the fcuk is he doing giving this guy a character reference?!

Well done on focusing on what's really important here.

You are quoting a Rape Crisis Centre press release pertaining to the case that gave rise to this thread. The press release mentions Harte directly. What is the point in quoting portions of it out of context?

You are quoting a Rape Crisis Centre press release pertaining to the case that gave rise to this thread. The press release mentions Harte directly. What is the point in quoting portions of it out of context?
    It was the fact that Mickey Harte gave a reference to the court that gave rise to this thread!!

Find me a mention of the court case in the thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Eileen you might want to post that on politics.ie too because the day thet story leaked there was the world of nothern people claiming that she had asked for it,never came out and said that but 1000% implied it.Just a point as its a shame imo

It was the fact that Mickey Harte gave a reference to the court that gave rise to this thread!!

What? The court case is mentioned in the opening post and that is the core of this whole thread. Have you read this or are you trolling a Belfast rape crisis centre press release?

It was the fact that Mickey Harte give a reference to the court that gave rise to this thread!!

Harte gave a character reference. Some people felt he shouldn't have given the nature of the offense................ Discussion ensued.

That statement is entirely relevant to this thread as certain posters leapt to the defence of Harte claiming that the offence was a result of drunken over-exuberance and minor in nature, WHICH WAS CLEARLY NOT THE CASE.

Discussions evolve.

What? The court case is mentioned in the opening post and that is the core of this whole thread. Have you read this or are you trolling a Belfast rape crisis centre press release?

Good post, you would have to question the motives of someone who attempts to shift focus away from the very serious content of that statement.

• Advertisement

sfwcork wrote: »
    Eileen you might want to post that on politics.ie too because the day thet story leaked there was the world of nothern people claiming that she had asked for it,never came out and said that but 1000% implied it.Just a point as its a shame imo
    Its probably best to stick with what was presented in court.

Its probably best to stick with what was presented in court.

What are you on about now? Why would a post about the provenance of a newspaper article tacitly condoning sexual assault have to stick to what was in court?

What exactly are your intentions here?

Harte gave a character reference. Some people felt he shouldn't have given the nature of the offense................ Discussion ensued.

That statement is entirely relevant to this thread as certain posters leapt to the defence of Harte claiming that the offence was a result of drunken over-exuberance and minor in nature, WHICH WAS CLEARLY NOT THE CASE.

Discussions evolve.
    Not quite how I read it.

Posters tripped over themselves to have a dig at how this guy lives his life, his sporting background, his religion, his community and charity work and a few passive aggressive ones at his murdered daughter.

What are you on about now?
    politics.ie.

Not quite how I read it.

Posters tripped over themselves to have a dig at how this guy lives his life, his sporting background, his religion, his community and charity work and a few passive aggressive ones at his murdered daughter.

So why didn't you reply to those posts? Why bother quoting a Rape Crisis Center statement out of context? It wasn't the Rape Crisis Center that carried on the way you describe was it? What problem do you have with the RCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

She was terrified to leave her own home to visit
    shops or go into town she was even afraid to attend Mass due to her fear of running into the perpetrator and his family or
    supporters.

I didn't think I could be any more upset at Harte providing references for this scumbag, but this paragraph for me sums up everything I have a problem with when it comes to what Harte did.

This woman gets viciously raped and left for dead, yet the rapist still has supporters, whilst she lives in fear and shame. Fcuking disgraceful.

I hope your proud of this nonsense you've spouted in light of that statement by the rape crisis center. Shame on you and all of your ilk who impugn the dignity of the victims of sexual assault. And shame on that backward cretin Harte for tacitly condoning the actions of a deviant.

That statement confirms what many people were saying in this thread all along. I dont think ive ever come across a statement as strongly worded as that from an official body in my life. The RCC are used to pitiful sentences being handed out, for them to be that upset over a custodial sentence leads me to believe this was an horrific incident.

What are you on about? I actually said and recomended in that post everything the RCC said.
    None of us knew the details of the case alluded to by the RCC, if what they say is correct, then, as I said, he should be punished.
    Nobody yet knows exactly what Mickey Harte said in his 'reference', and I still think it should be an allowable function in a humane justice system that the judge is allowed to tender for opinions in order to get a full picture of the offender, not in making up his mind about the guilt or otherwise of the offender, which is what some of the hysterical people on here think the function is for.

Not quite how I read it.

Do you think the accused in this case was deserving of a character reference? And also, do you believe it was appropriate that Mickey Harte provided him with the reference?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What are you on about? I actually said and recomended in that post everything the RCC said.
    None of us knew the details of the case alluded to by the RCC, if what they say is correct, then, as I said, he should be punished.
    Nobody yet knows exactly what Mickey Harte said in his 'reference', and I still think it should be an allowable function in a humane justice system that the judge is allowed to tender for opinions in order to get a full picture of the offender, not in making up his mind about the guilt or otherwise of the offender, which is what some of the hysterical people on here think the function is for.

You see the judge didnt need to make his mind up as to the guilt of the accused did he? The scumbag entered a guilty plea. The only possible reason for the reference therefore, would be a plea for clemency as regards a sentence, as that would be the only outcome a character reference would be able to influence.

• Advertisement

You see the judge didnt need to make his mind up as to the guilt of the accused did he? The scumbag entered a guilty plea. The only possible reason for the reference therefore, would be a plea for clemency as regards a sentence, as that would be the only outcome a character reference would be able to influence.

You will need to provide sources for that claim that he asked for clemency, it could simply have been an outline of the character as he knew him. Is this statement in the public domain?

Advertisement