Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Rascasse wrote: »
    I should also add that SA isn't as dangerous as people make out. Most of the murders happen in the townships. In 3 years the only time I came into contact with guns in a worrying way was a few times 'Black taxi' drivers waving them at me on the motorway as a warning to get out their way. That was during the taxi wars, though.

Ah the taxi wars. What country doesn't have one of those every couple of years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Latest news this side: ALLEDGED:

The police were called out 2 hours before the shooting for an argument between the two- drink suspected to be involved.
    She was shot through a bathroom door, arm, chest, pelvis and head.

For tweets from within the court room follow here:
    https://twitter.com/barrybateman

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

I should also add that SA isn't as dangerous as people make out...

+1 on this. Yes it is dangerous, yes bad things happen to good people. Its not all doom and gloom though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Despite offending the sensibilities of some of our more delicate boardsies it seems the editors of the red-tops thought your thread title was pretty sweet Xavi6

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whatever about whether this was murder, there were four shots through a closed bathroom door. Means that we can be fairly certain this wasn't a tragic case of mistaken identity or a simple accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

seamus wrote: »
    Whatever about whether this was murder, there were four shots through a closed bathroom door. Means that we can be fairly certain this wasn't a tragic case of mistaken identity or a simple accident.

Where did you hear the shots were through a bathroom door? If that's the case... it looks very much like manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bacchus wrote: »
    Where did you hear the shots were through a bathroom door? If that's the case... it looks very much like manslaughter.
    This is pretty much what's being reported everywhere today, I think they're following the lead of a local media outlet.

Though if the SA media are as prone to frenzy as someone mentioned earlier, then I suppose all "facts" should be viewed with suspicion until a trial actually begins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

paddy147 wrote: »
    So theres no such thing as a WHITE Intruder in South Africa then??.:pac:

Depends on how you view the actions of the colonialists, I imagine...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MadsL wrote: »
    I'd counter that not having a gun in country with as high a crime rate as South Africa would be more idiotic. What do you expect the police response time is there?

You call them and they'll be there 'just now'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

You call them and they'll be there 'just now'.

or the other good one "now now" - meaning "yeah, in a few minutes". Still cracks me up every time I hear it :)

SA slang is very amusing :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It does look like it's pointing to a domestic row that got out of hand. But isn't that how a lot of fatal shooting incidents happen?

Whatever the outcome of the trial, a beautiful and bright young woman is dead and Pistorious's career and reputation is in permanent tatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

RTE report she was killed in the bathroom. Shot 4 times through the closed bathroom door.

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

RTE report she was killed in the bathroom. Shot 4 times through the closed bathroom door.

Odd.

To me this sounds even worse. It sounds like they were having a violent row and she locked herself in the bathroom to get away and he shot her through the door.

I think the media bias in his favour is rediculous - all the coverage of how sad he is and how his family are standing by him in his difficulty etc. What about the dead girl and her family:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

wow sierra wrote: »
    To me this sounds even worse. It sounds like they were having a violent row and she locked herself in the bathroom to get away and he shot her through the door.

I think the media bias in his favour is rediculous - all the coverage of how sad he is and how his family are standing by him in his difficulty etc. What about the dead girl and her family:mad:

Any reports I've read or seen have been fairly impartial, just describing his reaction in the court.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Odd.

IMO it's possible that they were having a domestic row, she locked herself into the bathroom and Pistorius fired the shots into the bathroom door in a fit of rage.

Whether those shots were meant to kill, injure or just frighten his girlfriend is a moot point. Could be one of those incidents where if there was no gun to hand two lives wouldn't have been destroyed in a moment of madness.

The SA prosecutors seem pretty confident if they are going full out with a premeditated murder charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He shot through a locked door??? **** me if that's true it's at least manslaughter whether he thought there was an intruder or not?? Assuming his story's true, why didn't he call out to see who it was? And the police were called beforehand?? Not looking good at all.

token101 wrote: »
    He shot through a locked door??? **** me if that's true it's at least manslaughter whether he thought there was an intruder or not?? Assuming his story's true, why didn't he call out to see who it was? And the police were called beforehand?? Not looking good at all.

They've discounted the intruder story afaik. Seems she was in the house for a few hours before she was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It just seems like that because Oscar Pustorius is the story. The media don't care about reporting on the victims family as she wasn't a major sporting figure.
    Take away the celebrity and its just another murder in SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Freinds of mine lived in SA for a few years and I was aking their opinion on the case and their opinion was both the police and media are both prone to hysterical reactions. As one of them said alot of people in SA have the view the police could not detect 8 o clock at 7.55 and that the police seem to be rushing the case to try to boost the reputation of the force given opinion of it both at home and abroad would not be great.

Given so many people have to take the defence of their house and person into their own hands by keeping weapons all over the house says alot about crime and lack of confidence in the law over there. Even secure complex's are not safe as they are targetted alot of the time.

They don't know what happened that night no-one does but I agree that he has got a trial by media and that the police are using this to push the case forward very fast. They have never seen the police coming out with so much alleged facts within such a short space of them especially when forensics have not even been completed. They think the pre-mediated murder charge is a bit of ego boosting / headline grabbing and that the police are using this to try to get him to plead to manslaughter instead if they rule out the intruder case, which they have. They know the eyes of the world are on the police force now and aspects of the investigation will be used by them to get good PR for the force.

Even if it was a cut and dry case, which none of us know if it is, everyone has to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

All in all it is a very sad case. A young life has been wiped out and a man who has overcome so much life is destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Nobody has a clue what was going on in that house that night and never will

Ballerina wrote: »
    Nobody has a clue what was going on in that house that night and never will

It won't be too hard to piece together. And who's to say he won't confess all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

Listening to BBC radio this morning, they were talking to a journalist from SA he said three interesting things.

The first shot was fired in the bedroom, the police found an empty cartridge there.

A blood covered cricket bat was found in the bedroom, they do not yet know whose blood it was.

The police demanded that Pistorious be tested for steroids. Thinking it could be a roidrage induced attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Ava_e wrote: »
    A blood covered cricket bat was found in the bedroom, they do not yet know whose blood it was.
    The SA press are saying her skull was fractured, which could explain the bat.

Plenty of stories of him being a rather angry individual too. Not looking good for him, and you wouldn't want to be a pretty white boy in a South African prison.

On a more positive note for him, I see he's also got the same barrister as Bees Roux had. He's a former Springbok that beat a cop to death and got off with a suspended sentence after paying the family €60k in compensation. http://mg.co.za/article/2011-09-09-suspended-sentence-for-bees-roux

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Christ. That's just not cricket, chaps.

The SA press are saying her skull was fractured, which could explain the bat.

Plenty of stories of him being a rather angry individual too. Not looking good for him, and you wouldn't want to be a pretty white boy in a South African prison.

On a more positive note for him, I see he's also got the same barrister as Bees Roux had. He's a former Springbok that beat a cop to death and got off with a suspended sentence after paying the family €60k in compensation. http://mg.co.za/article/2011-09-09-suspended-sentence-for-bees-roux

If that's true, that's horrible. Poor poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

That's because Pistorius and his management team have the resources to run a sophisticated PR campaign. Stuart Higgins, a former editor of The Sun went out to South Africa the day after the murder to run the campaign.

Now the SA police seem to have leaked some of their evidence to tilt the PR battle in their favour:
    A bloodied cricket bat is the central piece of evidence in the unfolding murder investigation into ReevaSteenkamp’s death.

City Press can reveal that police are investigating different scenarios involving the bat – one of which is that her boyfriend, Olympic hero Oscar Pistorius, used it to viciously assault her.

The police are also investigating two more possibilities: that Steenkamp may have used the bat in self-defence, or that Pistorius used it to break down the toilet door behind which Steenkamp was hiding from him.

We can further reveal that police specifically requested that Pistorius’ blood be tested for drugs and steroids.
    Steenkamp’s skull was “crushed” and police tests on the cricket bat and her body will reveal if the injuries were caused by blows to the back of her head.

“There was lots of blood on the bat. Forensic tests will show whose blood it was,” said a source with inside knowledge of the case.

City Press spoke to three sources close to the high-profile investigation, which has gripped the world’s imagination. They all ruled out the possibility that Pistorius could have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder. The police found no evidence of forced entry.

The case against Oscar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

not just a murderer now but also a cheat?
    Cops are now probing a theory that Pistorius may have blasted Reeva in an explosion of fury caused by the performance-boosting steroids.

They are investigating whether murder suspect Pistorius was in the grip of “roid rage” — a side-effect of high doses of the outlawed drugs.

Officers who searched the 26-year-old’s home after lover Reeva was killed in the bathroom are said to have found steroids. Blood samples taken from Pistorius are being tested for the drugs.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4800201/Steroids-found-in-Oscar-Pistorius-house-after-he-shot-Reeva-Steenkamp.html#ixzz2LFGIo8lm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

davet82 wrote: »

If that paper is reporting it, it must be true :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

davet82 wrote: »
    not just a murderer [...]

Wait, the trial is over and he was found guilty?

Advertisement