Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Is all this sympathy because he is white?
    Do you assume that we have sympathy for a white person over a person of a different colour because we are white?

There's a word for that.

Get your sh1t together. You were the FIRST person to mention his colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

hmm - it happened at 4am! the time all good valentine suprises start :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    What has race got to do with it? It hasn't been mentioned or even alluded to in this entire thread. He's a person many people admire, therefore it is interesting that he shot someone, that's all there is too it.

Jesus, what is wrong with some people?

Must say I never admired him.

There was always questions about the fairness of his prostetics versus full bodies athletes.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/08/london-2012-pistorius-and-unfair.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

seamus wrote: »

The one thing this incident does provide is yet another example of why allowing people to arm themselves for protection against intruders is a monumentally idiotic idea.

I'm not sure it proves that at all tbh

I'm fairly sure that I wouldn't be even the slightest bit reassured by the fact I was helping reduce gun fatalities if I had nothing to defend myself with if someone broke into my property at night......someone who at best is a thief and at worst could be a homocidal rapist for all I know

I wouldn't go looking for trouble and would be happy (well maybe not happy but I would let it pass) to let them take what they wanted, excluding family members as long as they left peacefully (as its insured and not worth the risk if it isn't)

The problem is thats not enough for some - I would not allow myself to be restrained etc because i have no idea what they would do to me or mine if that happened ...... To advocate being totally defenceless (and not being armed is being totally defenceless at that moment with some types of intruders) if a situation like that were to occur would be monumentally idiotic imho thats why I think it should go without saying I should not only be allowed defend myself in my own home but arm myself to do so

If it turns out he deliberately planned this - how would that prove your point that its stupid to allow people to arm themselves to defend themselves in their own home - If he didn't use a gun he may have used something other weapon like a knife from the cutlery drawer - is it monumentally idiotic to allow people to have potentially lethal breadknives in the home?

Anyway whatever happened I'm not at all sure it specifically backs up your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hmm - it happened at 4am! the time all good valentine suprises start :confused:

I was wondering about that alright- tbh sneaking into your boyfriend's house in the middle of the night is pretty creepy! I'd never have done it, not because it would scare the crap out of him, but because it's just plain weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Distasteful thread title. If this happened in Ireland people would not be a quick with their "jokes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

If he gets bail, he might leg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

4 Shots, 2 of them were to the head. You don't pump 4 round into an "Intruder" without seeing them at least after the first 2.

Definite Murder.

Thank you detective..case closed then:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Is all this sympathy because he is white?

I am not in the least bit sympathetic to him, I think the story is a fabrication, but I would say no.

Still the sympathy has to be explained. I would say

1) He was an icon at the last olympics. A disabled guy who could compete at the top level with the "abled".
    2) The original reports all came out with the intruder story ( which makes no sense to me as I explained already). So most people, sympathetic from 1), took that as gospel when it was editorializing rather than reporting.

Whats forgotten in this is there is a dead woman, it's a tragedy for her and her family, but not necessarily for him.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Thank you detective..case closed then:pac:

The alternative story is nonsense. In fact for most shootings, in a house in the middle the night between a man and his GF, the intruder story would never have gotten an airing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

such a tragic waste of a young life, beautiful girl with so much ahead of her.

A sad irony from her twitter 5 days ago:

Reeva Steenkamp ‏@reevasteenkamp Feb 9
    I woke up in a happy safe home this morning. Not everyone did. Speak out against the rape of individuals…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The alternative story is nonsense. In fact for most shootings, in a house in the middle the night between a man and his GF, the intruder story would never have gotten an airing.

The police are denying the intruder story as having come from them by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I never said it wasn't nonsense.

The police are denying the intruder story as having come from them by the way.

Yes, it never did. They said nothing this morning. It came from reporters quoting each other. As far as I know he didn't make a statement either. Its "wanting to believe". We wanted this guy to be a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lets try and get the full facts before we make assumption shall we.

He may be a bad guy, but he maybe just made a huge, huge mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Sounds like a plot from an old Columbo film. All very far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

According to RTE police had been called to the property before due to domestic disturbances. Neighbours also heard shouting and screaming last night. Doesnt look good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

If there's a mod warning shouldn't it be put in the first post, or are you meant to read every comment before you post?

Stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If there's a mod warning shouldn't it be put in the first post, or are you meant to read every comment before you post?

Stupidity

The warning has been in the OP since 1 o clock. I'll stick it in the title too for people who don't bother reading the opening post.

In future, you have a question about moderation, pm a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

seamus wrote: »
    The one thing this incident does provide is yet another example of why allowing people to arm themselves for protection against intruders is a monumentally idiotic idea.

It doesn't prove that at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

He shot the intruder 4 times which indicates he meant to kill the person. As his intention was to kill the person he is on a murder charge. After that he can build his defence, but shooting the person that many times without recognising them is far-fetched. He will go down for a long time if he can't prove he thought the person was an intruder.

It could be possible that she wanted to sneak in at 4am to kill him as she knew he he would have his blades off him so would've been vulnerable. But that is just speculating. Meanwhile, 49 other people were murdered there today

He shot the intruder 4 times which indicates he meant to kill the person. As his intention was to kill the person he is on a murder charge. After that he can build his defence, but shooting the person that many times without recognising them is far-fetched. He will go down for a long time if he can't prove he thought the person was an intruder.

It could be possible that she wanted to sneak in at 4am to kill him as she knew he he would have his blades off him so would've been vulnerable. But that is just speculating. Meanwhile, 49 other people were murdered there today

There is no evidence she "intruded" on anything. She probably lived there.

EDIT: of course she lived there. How else would there have been previous domestics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The cops have denied anything about an intruder saying that story did not come form them.

I think that's a fair indication this story is inaccurate. They wouldn't say that if there were any truth in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If he thought she was an intruder, he should still go to prison for making the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There is no evidence she "intruded" on anything. She probably lived there.

EDIT: of course she lived there. How else would there have been previous domestics.

I think the previous related to another woman a few years ago. He was only seeing Reeva Steenkamp a few months according to news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Only one guy can save Oscar now

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/JohnnieCochran_2001.jpg
    Pity for Oscar, he's dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It offends me that I don't know on whom's behalf I should be taking offence.

And I'm also offended that in the event that I find that I have, in fact, no reason to take offence, I'm not allowed use one of the 53 pun-based quips that have popped into my head in the past hour, for fear of offending someone else.

As a great man once said to a permiter guard at Oxegen many moons ago, "if I took a fence would you take offence?"

My heart bleeds for you. You really are the victim in this tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is it odd that Police are saying so early on in the investigation that there have been previous domestic abuse claims against Pistorious? Especially considering he has never been convicted or charged with such a thing...

Just seems a bit off to me... could easily prejudice any subsequent court case.

Advertisement