Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada IEC 2013 Health Insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea wouldn't be going with anything USIT have to offer personally

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bay

gary27 wrote: »
    why do you want to buy insurance with USIT when you can purchase it yourself and will probably save yourself money;
    http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

Oh ye don't get me wrong, I've followed the thread and the goforless seems great, just exploring all options. I had heard of someone getting the usit insurance but the person who told me gave me very vague info, from their website it doesn't seem like you can just buy insurance seperately. I will probably go with the goforless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bay

I took this from the USIT website regarding insurance as it definitley works out cheaper to book insurance with go4less;

https://secure.usit.ie/canada/canada.aspx#
    click on flights & insurance from Usit

Insurance

1 year Work Abroad Insurance policy: €299
    2 Year Work Abroad Insurance policy: €499
    We offer the most comprehensive Work in Canada insurance cover for all our participants including the highest level of medical cover (€10 million), unlimited winter sports cover and an excess of only €50.
    Flights subject to terms, conditions and availability.

ah cheers for that Gary27! i couldnt find that anywhere, goforless it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

bay wrote: »
    ah cheers for that Gary27! i couldnt find that anywhere, goforless it is!

no problem, check my earlier post I added an comparsion with go4less.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Hi I still can't figure out how to get 2 year travel insurance for my 19 month old who is travelling with us to canada on 2 year iec - anybody have any ideas or suggestions as no body seems to cover babies ! Also can u just pay a deposit and direct debits or do you have to pay up front for the 2 years ? My head is fried!!

• Advertisement

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi I still can't figure out how to get 2 year travel insurance for my 19 month old who is travelling with us to canada on 2 year iec - anybody have any ideas or suggestions as no body seems to cover babies ! Also can u just pay a deposit and direct debits or do you have to pay up front for the 2 years ? My head is fried!!

I think for the go4less backpacker insurance you have to pay up front,
    I don't know if this site will help http://www.freetocompare.ie/healthinsurance as I am unsure that you can use their insurance policies aboard for your child, also would the province insurance cover your child?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Black_shadow

Once i get my poe, i will be booking through go4less.ie and getting winter sports, thinks its 330 for the 2 years, 4 visits home within the 2 years and 2 weeks each visit home, value for money :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

I think for the go4less backpacker insurance you have to pay up front,
    I don't know if this site will help http://www.freetocompare.ie/healthinsurance as I am unsure that you can use their insurance policies aboard for your child, also would the province insurance cover your child?

hi goforless do cover children for same price as adults so its the guts of 900 to be paid up front. we will have health insurance with my hubbies job so this insurance is only to cover the IEC insurance requirement. Is it possible to cancel this policy within the cooling off period? as otherwise we will have 900 of insurance that we dont need - which is very steep on top of our flights, house deposit, car etc etc etc
    any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭EvilDead13

Despite the permit length issue I had at the border which now needs to be fixed through a torturous application process they did not ask for insurance. I did however just hand everything over to them without being asked for it. I also didn't actually get insurance it was a modified email from last years receipt. Decided to risk it as I wasn't paying $1100 when I'm going to be getting provincial healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I stand to be corrected but you are travelling on an IEC and so is your husband but I think your child is to have a temporary resident visa? And as far as I can see a temporary resident visa holder doesn't require insurance. (I could be way off though) I also noticed that the Cic site says it can take from 20-30 days up to a few weeks for these visas but you can't apply over 6 months of when you are planning to travel. Hopefully you can get around the insurance this way? :D

• Advertisement

hi goforless do cover children for same price as adults so its the guts of 900 to be paid up front. we will have health insurance with my hubbies job so this insurance is only to cover the IEC insurance requirement. Is it possible to cancel this policy within the cooling off period? as otherwise we will have 900 of insurance that we dont need - which is very steep on top of our flights, house deposit, car etc etc etc
    any suggestions??

the go4less policy has a 14 day cooling off period so you can cancel within that period but I am not recommending people to do this thats up to the individual to make that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 slumpy

Hi,
    Im going to Canada this summer for 8 months work experience. i have an iec working permit which last for 2 years. I have to return home at christmas and return to college. I will be hopeing to return back to canada the following may to work for that summer.

Is this possible and if so what health insurance will I have to purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 James2nd

I heard somewhere about the 14 day cooling off period that you wont get a refund if you travel to canada anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

hey guys anybody signing up for goforless?...just wondering you know they say emergeny dental pain relief would that cover wisdom tooth extraction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Niamh_M

Is this not travel insurance? What's the difference between travel and health insurance? All of this is so confusing! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Niamh_M wrote: »
    Is this not travel insurance? What's the difference between travel and health insurance? All of this is so confusing! :S

i think travel insurance is if you lose ur passport or baggage etc you will be covered whereas health insurance is if you get injured while abroad you will be covered. So ...
    Travel insurance = baggage going missing
    Health insurance = arm goes missing

:)

media101 wrote: »
    i think travel insurance is if you lose ur passport or baggage etc you will be covered whereas health insurance is if you get injured while abroad you will be covered. So ...
    Travel insurance = baggage going missing
    Health insurance = arm goes missing

:)

Hahaha thank you, but on that go4less website that everyone seems to be getting insurance from and the other one that I quoted above, it mentions that it is travel insurance and there is no mention of health insurance :S

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ukulayla

Hey guys! Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. If you have ANY intention whatsoever of trying out snowboarding for the first time then make sure you get your winter sports coverage. I was in NZ for winter last year and the amount of folk who broke their wrists in their first week on the hill was ridiculous! I knew one girl who slipped when trying to stand up on the board before her first lesson and *snap* bye bye season on the hill, hello 2 months in a cast, unable to work.
    Snowboarding is the best fun that you will ever have in your life, but it is unbelievably easy to injure yourself on the hill, even if you're not being that adventurous. Be safe out there pals, stay classy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 davybrown

ukulayla wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. If you have ANY intention whatsoever of trying out snowboarding for the first time then make sure you get your winter sports coverage. I was in NZ for winter last year and the amount of folk who broke their wrists in their first week on the hill was ridiculous! I knew one girl who slipped when trying to stand up on the board before her first lesson and *snap* bye bye season on the hill, hello 2 months in a cast, unable to work.
    Snowboarding is the best fun that you will ever have in your life, but it is unbelievably easy to injure yourself on the hill, even if you're not being that adventurous. Be safe out there pals, stay classy! ;)

yeah needa get this winter sports coverage also. do ya just get it through the same insurance company as your health insurance?

davybrown wrote: »
    yeah needa get this winter sports coverage also. do ya just get it through the same insurance company as your health insurance?

I'm gonna book go4less and they have it as an option to add onto your package. So do backpacker :)

• Advertisement

davybrown wrote: »

Yeah love I'll show you later. It's a wee bit dearer but it would be really be useful for you!!

For any Northerners out there, I contacted goforless and you can still purchase their backpackers policy "if you agree for it to be governed by rep. of Ireland laws." I'm not really sure what this means, but it's a great relief as it's hard to find a UK health insurance that covers for two years AND doesn't cost an absolute fortune.

is anybody else having trouble with the go4less website? Everytime I hit pay now it says internal server error...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Chaow

Hi,

I haven't been resident in Ireland for the last 18 months, am currently in the middle east. Go4less/Blue won't quote me insurance because of this, they recommended WorldNomads.com but their price is close to €1000 for two years backpacker cover with winter sports.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who's good value if your not resident in Ireland?

Any help appreciated, Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Chaow wrote: »
    Hi,

I haven't been resident in Ireland for the last 18 months, am currently in the middle east. Go4less/Blue won't quote me insurance because of this, they recommended WorldNomads.com but their price is close to €1000 for two years backpacker cover with winter sports.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who's good value if your not resident in Ireland?

Any help appreciated, Cheers

i know the people already in canada are having this problem so maybe go on the facebook page - irish in Calgary or irish in Toronto and ask what they did. hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Ok, so is it HEALTH insurance we need, as opposed to TRAVEL insurance?
    Does anyone know that if you were to get pregnant (god forbid) and give birth in Canada, is this covered under most insurance packages? Or is there only specific ones that cover this?
    I’ve heard that hospital fees cost thousands for people having children over there.

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ledge87

Hi, I have sorted my health insurance with VHI and they are issuing me with one year of insurance and a letter saying i will renew for a second year. They have said this is what they are issuing for anyone going on the 2 year visa to canada.
    Has anyone used this with immigration...? has there been any issue re. this?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

Hi all,

I'm in Canada and looking for insurance for the second visa (2 yrs).
    https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cgi-bin/travel/travel-insurance.cgi
    RBC have a deal for $160 for the year, sounds much better than my original searches.
    Anyone here used this or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

is it health insureance or travel insurance we need for the IEC??

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lovemytea

Cream Bun wrote: »
    is it health insureance or travel insurance we need for the IEC??

Travel insurance. Most policies cover illness, accidents, flights, and repatriation. Any backpackers choice covers these as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Greg_03G

Ok so it's a good thing I decided to check this as I was about to take a chance and just get 1 years insurance.(I realise now it's a big risk and not really worth it.)
    Anyway I notice most people seem to be going with go4less but for some reason they wont give me a quote for more than 366 days. Anybody else have this problem?
    I've got a quote of €325(incl w/sports) from Backpacker which seems reasonable considering. Does go4less work out any better?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement