Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada IEC 2013 Health Insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭EvilDead13

Finding insurance while already in Canada sucks. It is more expensive compared to if you are still in Ireland. Most companies that do insurance for travelers already abroad won't allow you to use their online quote option since their policies usually won't exceed 365 days. If you contact these companies though most of them will send you 2 quotes. 1 for the first year and 1 for the 2nd since it is not common practice to have a 2 year policy.

For example www.biis.ca quoted me $587 for each year totaling $1174 but they separated it into 2 consecutive policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Once you get here you can apply for a local health card. Your employer will make you pay into a health insurance scheme anyway, so you'll be covered locally healthwise. You don't pay to go to the doctor and most prescriptions are covered, same with blood tests, even massage is covered on your health insurance, so it's not like America, you won't be asked for $200,000 for a cast for a broken wrist, so, calm down!!

I'm perfectly calm thanks. I'm not planning on working straight away. Like many people, I will be travelling for a few months before I start looking for a job. How much is the healthcard if paying for it yourself? Will it cover me completely as I travel the length and breadth of the country?

As I said before, insurance is one of the most important things you will need, and companies will do anything not to pay out. If this healthcard is a reasonable price, then it sounds ideal. I'd be interested to know what restrictions are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

ripcord wrote: »
    I'm perfectly calm thanks. I'm not planning on working straight away. Like many people, I will be travelling for a few months before I start looking for a job. How much is the healthcard if paying for it yourself? Will it cover me completely as I travel the length and breadth of the country?

As I said before, insurance is one of the most important things you will need, and companies will do anything not to pay out. If this healthcard is a reasonable price, then it sounds ideal. I'd be interested to know what restrictions are on it.

The health card is free and here's the link to the details.
    http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/msi/
    My employer deducts about 60 per month and they give an additional $700 per annum for personal health spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

My employer deducts about 60 per month and they give an additional $700 per annum for personal health spending.

Ehhh... Unless I'm missing something here.. you can only apply for this for the following conditions:

To be eligible for Nova Scotia Medical Service Insurance (MSI) benefits you must be:
    • a Canadian Citizen or "Permanent Resident" (Landed Immigrant)
    • a resident who makes his/her permanent home in Nova Scotia and is present in the province 183 days every calendar year.
    • You must be registered with MSI to be eligible for benefits.
    None of this applies in my case (and many others). Actually, I don't think anyone is considered a permanent resident when on the IEC - so even if you did stay in Nova Scotia for half the year - I don't think you eligible. I could be wrong there - Are you on the IEC at the moment?

No good to me (and the rest of the Irish backpackers!) when we're travelling all over the country from one hostel to the next!

It depends on the province you're living in as the health care card is different for each.

For example BC has MSP and it is approx $64 a month. Not all employers cover the cost. Majority will cover a % but some don't cover it at all. Additional medical coverage again is dependent on your employer and the type of benefits package they provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

ripcord wrote: »
    Ehhh... Unless I'm missing something here.. you can only apply for this for the following conditions:

To be eligible for Nova Scotia Medical Service Insurance (MSI) benefits you must be:
    • a Canadian Citizen or "Permanent Resident" (Landed Immigrant)
    • a resident who makes his/her permanent home in Nova Scotia and is present in the province 183 days every calendar year.
    • You must be registered with MSI to be eligible for benefits.
    None of this applies in my case (and many others). Actually, I don't think anyone is considered a permanent resident when on the IEC - so even if you did stay in Nova Scotia for half the year - I don't think you eligible. I could be wrong there - Are you on the IEC at the moment?

No good to me (and the rest of the Irish backpackers!) when we're travelling all over the country from one hostel to the next!

Was eligible for it the first month I got here on the IEC.
    There's similiar programmes for other provinces.
    Anyway, no need to get into an argument, it's not travel insurance, it's just health care.
    Have a great trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

would your company not get an lmo for you?:D

In BC all you need is a work permit valid for 6 months and a letter from your employer saying you are working full time in order to receive MSP. I'm sure this is different for all provinces but you don't need to be a permanent resident in BC to get the provincial healthcare. :) Several friends of mine have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Hi myself and my husband have just got 2 year iec visas. We also have a 19 month old baby who will be coming with us in June . Hubby has job arranged in saskatoon and we have started to find out about insurance - after 3 months his job will cover him for insurance - but visa requirements looking for 2 years proof of insurance up front.
    Vhi quoting 797€ for 2 years for both of us but then 1015€ for our little one which is a joke.
    Does anyone have any suggestions how to get around this or what to do as we hadn't budgeted for this crazy amount for insurance !!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi myself and my husband have just got 2 year iec visas. We also have a 19 month old baby who will be coming with us in June . Hubby has job arranged in saskatoon and we have started to find out about insurance - after 3 months his job will cover him for insurance - but visa requirements looking for 2 years proof of insurance up front.
    Vhi quoting 797€ for 2 years for both of us but then 1015€ for our little one which is a joke.
    Does anyone have any suggestions how to get around this or what to do as we hadn't budgeted for this crazy amount for insurance !!
    Thanks

you could try http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp
    for yourselves if you under 39 comes to €570, not sure about your child what quote would vhi give for your child on their own?,
    Are you on the iec visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

gary27 wrote: »
    you could try http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp
    for yourselves if you under 39 comes to €570, not sure about your child what quote would vhi give for your child on their own?,
    Are you on the iec visa?

HI GARY
    THANKS FOR THAT
    VHI QUOTED 797€ FOR 2 YEARS FOR BOTH OF US ADULTS TOTAL - WE ARE 33
    THEN 1010€ FOR THE BABY! - SO WE WOULD BE OUT THE GUTS OF 1800 FOR THE 3 OF US - THATS MENTAL!

DO YOU HAVE TO PAY UP FRONT FOR THE INSURANCE FOR THE 2 YEARS??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 doconne

Any ideas of companies to go with if you're already in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 doconne

doconne wrote: »
    Any ideas of companies to go with if you're already in Canada?

Update: I got the name of this company Bridges International Insurance Services from Moving2Canada Facebook page. They're based in Vancouver and their number is 1-888-2674-461. I got a quote of $1180 for 2 years insurance (to be done in 2 separate transactions) covering up to $10,000 costs.

Anyone find a better deal than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

Would backpackertravelinsurance.ie be the best company to get insurance off? I was quoted 200 euro for the year (as i have a LOI from last year), but just wondering are they actually good if you fall ill/injured over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bhob

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    Would backpackertravelinsurance.ie be the best company to get insurance off? I was quoted 200 euro for the year (as i have a LOI from last year), but just wondering are they actually good if you fall ill/injured over there?

No they don't cover you if you fall or get injured, only for alien abductions as far as i know.

Read the thread :rolleyes:

try
    http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

Thanks, it's working a bit cheaper on that site. I don't mind spending the 200 on insurance but i just want to know if the companies are good if you do need to use the insurance over there?

bhob wrote: »
    No they don't cover you if you fall or get injured, only for alien abductions as far as i know.

Read the thread :rolleyes:

Ok smart arse i know alot of health insurance companies that are not so reliable when it comes to payouts for falling ill and i've already been in a bad accident in the last 6 months,
    jesus christ if you don't like the question i asked do not bother replying :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ok smart arse i know alot of health insurance companies that are not so reliable when it comes to payouts for falling ill and i've already been in a bad accident in the last 6 months,
    jesus christ if you don't like the question i asked do not bother replying :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How about stop being so lazy and actually read the thread. Saves on the same thing being said over and over and over. Too lazy to do a bit of reading yourself so get someone else to do it for you and give you the answer, fair play!

How about stop being so lazy and actually read the thread. Saves on the same thing being said over and over and over. Too lazy to do a bit of reading yourself so get someone else to do it for you and give you the answer, fair play!

How about stop replying to my posts, i have read the thread you muppet

• Advertisement

Thanks, it's working a bit cheaper on that site. I don't mind spending the 200 on insurance but i just want to know if the companies are good if you do need to use the insurance over there?

back to topic guys, I am using go4less to cover myself for the 2 year visa, they should be alright, and were cheap enough and you need health insurance to cover the duration of the visa.

How about stop replying to my posts, i have read the thread you muppet

The irony in calling me a muppet after you read the health insurance thread and cannot figure out if back packers insurance will cover your health costs in Canada if you fall ill or get injured :o

Good luck with the next two years in Canada you're going to need it ;)

back to topic guys, I am using go4less to cover myself for the 2 year visa, they should be alright, and were cheap enough and you need health insurance to cover the duration of the visa.

Agreed, especially with the 4 return visits over the two years.

Thanks, yeah i might go with them if they are grand, i have a job sorted in Toronto, but i can't apply for the OHIP until 3 months into working, (so my mate over there told me!)

Thanks, yeah i might go with them if they are grand, i have a job sorted in Toronto, but i can't apply for the OHIP until 3 months into working, (so my mate over there told me!)

are you going over on the iec visa?

The irony in calling me a muppet after you read the health insurance thread and cannot figure out if back packers insurance will cover your health costs in Canada if you fall ill or get injured :o

Good luck with the next two years in Canada you're going to need it ;)

Thanks hun for all your wonderful advice x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod note:
    @Sunshine87 and bhob,
    Either end yer spate now or take it to P/M.
    If I see any more of the shyte ye are posting to each other, I'll take action on it.
    Ye have both been warned.
    Panthro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bay

Hi guys, does anyone know about USIT insurance? I've been on their website but can't seem to find much, do they maybe only sell insurance when you get a whole package off them and not separately?

bay wrote: »
    Hi guys, does anyone know about USIT insurance? I've been on their website but can't seem to find much, do they maybe only sell insurance when you get a whole package off them and not separately?

why do you want to buy insurance with USIT when you can purchase it yourself and will probably save yourself money;

• Advertisement

I took this from the USIT website regarding insurance as it definitley works out cheaper to book insurance with go4less;

https://secure.usit.ie/canada/canada.aspx#
    click on flights & insurance from Usit

Insurance

1 year Work Abroad Insurance policy: €299
    2 Year Work Abroad Insurance policy: €499
    We offer the most comprehensive Work in Canada insurance cover for all our participants including the highest level of medical cover (€10 million), unlimited winter sports cover and an excess of only €50.
    Flights subject to terms, conditions and availability.

1 year Work Abroad Insurance policy: €224 includes winter sports or €249 to include excess waiver as well
    2 Year Work Abroad Insurance policy: €340 includes winter sports or €365 to include excess waiver as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement