Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada IEC 2013 Health Insurance

Options
  • 13-02-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hey all,

The IEC Megathread has turned into a bit of a monster - so I thought I'd start this one purely for the heatlh insurance. After all, this will be pretty important, as you might not get in without it! Hopefully it's something none of us will ever need :)

It would be cool if we could keep the chat to a minimum and just post up links and prices for the options. It will make it easier to read the thread. If ye like, I can update this post with the current "winning" option (which hopefully will be the cheapest :D)

The IEC eligibility criteria here http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx?view=d states that you must:

6. accept to purchase, prior to entering Canada, insurance for medical and health-care, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada;

In the Arrival in Canada section http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_status-processus_demande.aspx?view=d they say the following:

The border service officer may ask you for proof of funds and proof of health care insurance (covering medical care, hospitalization, repatriation and travel back to your country). Your insurance policy must be valid for the entire duration of your stay in Canada.
    You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance. If your insurance policy is valid for less than 24 months, you may be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance. In this case, you may not apply for an extension of your work permit at a later date

So basically, they MAY ask you for proof - so you MIGHT get away with it, but definitely not worth the risk. If you turn up with only 6 months insurance, they'll only give you a work permit for 6 months. Once this is up - you cannot extend your work permit by simply getting more insurance.

So I'll start with the most obvious one:

VHI Backpacker.
    https://www.vhi.ie/info/MainServlet?action=backpackerHome&gclid=CNX81Nqis7UCFWaCQgodQn0A0A

I'm single with no VHI card. Including the winter sports, I'm getting €261 per year - so €522 for the whole lot. I was hoping for something cheaper!

Backpacker Travel Insurance
    http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/
    Pros: Cheap!
    Cons: Will only allow you to come home once during the two years - and only for a two-week stay. Will not cover you for those two weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭danny2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

mate do not go with vhi robbing bastards haha go with backpacker insurance.ie 2 year standard is like 285 add an extra 40-80 for winter sports works out a bargain:D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fifi2008

I am with VHI already and their Global cover is about €1000! They do direct debits and require a minimum of 6 months, so if you get a job and health insurance covered, after say 3 months, you still have to pay VHI the other 3 months to make up the 6!!!

Don't think so!!! Only thing I'd noticed though is they do cover you if you come home in between for a holiday...

Does anyone know how the others cover you if you came home for a wk at Christmas just say?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

fifi2008 wrote: »
    I am with VHI already and their Global cover is about €1000! They do direct debits and require a minimum of 6 months, so if you get a job and health insurance covered, after say 3 months, you still have to pay VHI the other 3 months to make up the 6!!!

Don't think so!!! Only thing I'd noticed though is they do cover you if you come home in between for a holiday...

Does anyone know how the others cover you if you came home for a wk at Christmas just say?

I'd say they do cos you will have chosen worldwide including usa/canada cover - so worldwide would include Ireland in my opinion.

The biggest problem I have found whilst researching insurance is that most insurers will go to a year/18mths most but NOT the full two years. Some of the 18mth crowds say you can extend in country, but that isn't much help when you are supposed to have the full two year the day you enter Can

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DodoByrne

http://www.backpackertravelinsurance...FdE72wodU3oAwg

Gives a 2 year quote. I won't be looking any further than this, job done, sorted, next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

DodoByrne wrote: »

Gives a 2 year quote. I won't be looking any further than this, job done, sorted, next.

are u sure they cover you for ambulance rides and medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

DodoByrne wrote: »

I'm afraid this is no use to me. From their policy documents:

On request, and subject to the payment of an additional premium
    agreed between the Insured, ACE and Blue Insurances, the Policy will
    extend to allow the Insured to make one return visit to their home to
    Ireland before their original intended return date (as specified on their
    Policy Schedule) for up to a maximum duration of 14 days excluding
    any return for which a claim is being made as a result of emergency
    medical repatriation or curtailment. Cover is suspended whilst the
    Insured is in Ireland - from the time the Insured arrives at their
    home in Ireland and starts again when the Insured leaves home to
    return to their overseas destination.

So even IF you pay them an extra premium - they will only allow you home one time for only 2 weeks. And you get no cover when you're back here!

No good to me. I'd like to come home for 3/4 weeks this christmas (and the christmas after too) :(

No they don't cover your medication. In hospital meds will be covered (cos it is essential for you to have them for whatever reason you are in hosp) but the only cover you are gonna get for meds is private insurance cover/employer cover. I'm pretty sure it'l cover ambo trips though - I mean that's part of the emergency that ended you in hosp in the first place. But bear in mind they will likely not cover if alcohol is the reason you ended up needing the ambo and trip to the hosp, so easy does it people

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

ripcord wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is no use to me. From their policy documents:

On request, and subject to the payment of an additional premium
    agreed between the Insured, ACE and Blue Insurances, the Policy will
    extend to allow the Insured to make one return visit to their home to
    Ireland before their original intended return date (as specified on their
    Policy Schedule) for up to a maximum duration of 14 days excluding
    any return for which a claim is being made as a result of emergency
    medical repatriation or curtailment. Cover is suspended whilst the
    Insured is in Ireland - from the time the Insured arrives at their
    home in Ireland and starts again when the Insured leaves home to
    return to their overseas destination.

So even IF you pay them an extra premium - they will only allow you home one time for only 2 weeks. And you get no cover when you're back here!

No good to me. I'd like to come home for 3/4 weeks this christmas (and the christmas after too) :(

Yeah but they wouldn't know you weren't around?

hdowney wrote: »
    No they don't cover your medication. In hospital meds will be covered (cos it is essential for you to have them for whatever reason you are in hosp) but the only cover you are gonna get for meds is private insurance cover/employer cover. I'm pretty sure it'l cover ambo trips though - I mean that's part of the emergency that ended you in hosp in the first place. But bear in mind they will likely not cover if alcohol is the reason you ended up needing the ambo and trip to the hosp, so easy does it people

you should read the fine print before you buy your insurance cause ambo trips are very expensive and if ur insurance doesnt cover you ur f**ked!!

• Advertisement

media101 wrote: »
    you should read the fine print before you buy your insurance cause ambo trips are very expensive and if ur insurance doesnt cover you ur f**ked!!

Agree completely. Cos this is such a big deal insurance I will be reading the whole damn insurance thingy before purchase

Gonna email backpackers now and ask them do they cover ambulance trips.

WasterEx wrote: »

Yeah but they wouldn't know you weren't around?

Its the making claims is the prob with these companies. They prob ask for the stamped pages of the passport...otherwise they wouldn't be able to check - and all these insurance companies check inside out!!

Was looking at the VHI Backpacker one there and it says, in tiny writing at the end, that it won't cover you for stuff that can be done in your home country and few other small bits.

The Global one, whilst very dear, does cover you for everything, incl 60 days at home, GPs visits, prescriptions, dentists, the lot. For 80 a month...and hopefully transfer to Canadian one after 6 months with job...

Gonna email backpackers now and ask them do they cover ambulance trips.

also ask them if visiting the doctor will cost anything to you? i was in the U.S and got sick. just to see the doctor cost me $150 and my insurance only covered half of it >:( altho i did get insurance through usit - robbing bastards!

Emailed them the following,

Hi there,

I'm interested in using your service but I have a couple of questions.
    This is regarding the non-premium service.

- Does this service cover ambulance trips?
    - Can I leave my arrival destination to go home to Ireland for more than 2 weeks and still be covered once I get back?

Thanks for your time.

I'll let you know what their reply is.

media101 wrote: »
    also ask them if visiting the doctor will cost anything to you? i was in the U.S and got sick. just to see the doctor cost me $150 and my insurance only covered half of it >:( altho i did get insurance through usit - robbing bastards!

Ahh to late, I'll email them again asking that once I get my first reply. :D

With the backpackersinsurance.ie i just read the fine print. In regards to medical claims, the insured "must contact ACE insurance BEFORE any costs are incurred". Typical Insurance crapolla. You'll be too busy being injured to think of it and they're covered to bail on you. Money money money F*$ckin money. Is it me or is the global market setup to rape you in the ass every chance it gets, all under the pretense of "service".
    Guess its a case of getting insurance cheap enough for 2 years cover and hoping you don't ever have to attempt to count on it. Also you might get better cover with a job over there.
    But it would be so typical to get shafted by some crappy irish bull**** from thousands of miles away.

Got this email about an hour ago.
    Thank you for your recent email.

Both our Premier and Premier Plus cover would cover any costs which is deemed medically necessary at the time of the incident. So if you are in need of medical attention whilst abroad and an ambulance is necessary to transport you to the nearest hospital then the cost of this would be covered on the policy. This is assuming all the Terms and Conditions of the policy have been adhered to.

Our policy only allows one trip home to Ireland no more than 14 days. If you stay longer than this then your policy becomes invalid.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Hmmm sounds a bit iffy for some reason. I think even though I'm not entirely satisfied with how that email was worded I'll end up going with those guys anyway because they're cheap for 2 years and it's a requirement for the IEC but someone did say you can cancel insurance and get your money back once you're there if you cancel within a certain amount of days; That option seems reasonable atm.

Anyway will email again asking the question about the doctor fees now.

Yeah seems a good option. " This is assuming all the Terms and Conditions of the policy have been adhered to."
    This means that you have to contact the insurance company... ACE..... "before any costs are incurred".
    Which means if you're run over by a car and don't have the where withall to ring them before the ambulance picks you up, they don't have to pay. Seems like a typical bulls**t way to do business.
    It reads like this : "We'll take your money to provide a service, but we'll try take every opportunity to leave you high and dry if a sliver of a chance arises."

It'll serve a purpose I'm sure to reassure customs officers on arrival, but its by no means a substitute for your mothers love.
    I'll be going with them, but i'll be dropping them on arrival as wasterex says, and get canadian cover unless i get a job with cover.

Latest email in response to question about doctor fees.
    The policy extends to Emergency Medical Expenses. So if you become unexpectedly ill or involved in an accident and need to visit a doctor then the policy would cover these costs. Each policy has an excess so bearing in mind any costs less than the policy excess would not be covered.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Corporate speak.

• Advertisement

Latest email in response to question about doctor fees.

Corporate speak.

Answer: Yes, minus any excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beyonkers

Hey,
    Any1 heard of any companies that will give insurance when you are already in Canada? We here on 1st year, waiting to see if we can get the 2nd year.. wondering what to do about insurance. :(

On an unrelated topic, have any of ye looked into opening bank accounts or companies that transfer money? I saw something somewhere about being able to open them before u get there because of verification over there.
    Between renting and waiting for utility bills u could be waiting weeks for a bill in the post....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Bd84

This is absolutely ridiculous that you need 2 years insurance to get a 2 year work permit, I was in Australia for 4 years and had my own insurance for a year, had an accident at work and got paid no where near what I should have got back, these insurance companies are robbing bastards, ill be getting a standard package enough to get threw customs and cancelling as soon as I get over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

^^^
    what if you have a serious accident though? will you expect your family to pay for you or do you have 1000's saved up?

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    ^^^
    what if you have a serious accident though? will you expect your family to pay for you or do you have 1000's saved up?

Iv been told that I can get private health insurance for a lot lot cheaper and will cover me for a lot lot more once I'm there, I have friends in Saskatchewan, they advised me to not get any insurance until I come over, they nor I knew about this 2 year thing

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭EvilDead13

Bd84 wrote: »
    Iv been told that I can get private health insurance for a lot lot cheaper and will cover me for a lot lot more once I'm there, I have friends in Saskatchewan, they advised me to not get any insurance until I come over, they nor I knew about this 2 year thing

You're taking a chance not having insurance until you come over here. If the immigration officer asks for proof of insurance and you do not have it they can deny you entry. Although it seems they rarely ask for this some people have said they needed to provide it.

It is also on the IEC website that if you do not have insurance coverage for the full duration of your stay they can shorten the length of your visa to what you do have covered.

EvilDead13 wrote: »
    You're taking a chance not having insurance until you come over here. If the immigration officer asks for proof of insurance and you do not have it they can deny you entry. Although it seems they rarely ask for this some people have said they needed to provide it.

It is also on the IEC website that if you do not have insurance coverage for the full duration of your stay they can shorten the length of your visa to what you do have covered.

Yeah iv been reading up on it a lot more I'm not going to take any chances, who are you insured with when you 1st went over, I have to come 3 times for wedding s and things so that back packer 1 is no good to me as it only covers you for 1 2 week visit

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭EvilDead13

Bd84 wrote: »
    Yeah iv been reading up on it a lot more I'm not going to take any chances, who are you insured with when you 1st went over, I have to come 3 times for wedding s and things so that back packer 1 is no good to me as it only covers you for 1 2 week visit

Went with getcover.ie last year but can't use them this year since haven't been a resident of Ireland and they don't renew. Was Backpackers insurance though. Looking through options this year but buying insurance while in Canada is a rip off. :(

Almost tempted to adjust the dates and amount paid on last years email receipt!!! Too much of a risk though.

• Advertisement

In sasketchewan all your medical treatment is payed for by the state, only thing is you have to pay for prescriptions yourself, iv had problems claiming off back off insurance companies so I'm a bit skeptical of paying top dollar for them to come up with some bull **** excuse of why you can't get anything back, so I just want a bog standard package enough to get threw immigration,
    Yeah man I wouldn't be taking the chance ye don't want to screw yourself and then be stuck back here again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement