Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada IEC 2013 Health Insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

Hi folks

Did anyone have luck finding an insurance that would give two years cover?
    It doesn't seem like an industry standard really.
    I wonder would you have issues with the permit lenght, if insurance was only 1 year?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea mate look up backpackerinsurance.ie they will cover you fro 2 years think its 285euro

They only cover people if they are in Ireland, I'm already in Canada :-/

Anyone in Canada, applying for second visa, find a supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beyonkers

nope i am looking for the same. an insurer for when you are already in canada :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 laney22

Every insurance company I find either don't cover 2 years or you need to be resident in Ireland when booking it.. :/ Im thinking speaking to someone in the company might be the best way to go, try and convince them to waive the residency requirement? AFAIK if you get asked to show your insurance docs & you only have it for a year, they'll only give you a permit for a year...

• Advertisement

Hi Laney22,

When I came to Canada last year, they didn't check my insurance or bank statement.
    I'm not suggesting to not have them, but the main thing is to have your passport in order and that letter of landing.

I came in through Toronto, they were very nice, no pressure, no unecessary interrogation or anything.
    I was under pressure to get a connecting flight and they were so accommodating.

I'm going to have trouble getting insurance full stop, as I'm not a resident of Ireland. So, if successful, I'll make contact with REC and advise of my insurance issue and let them resolve or excuse it after the LOI has been issued.
    I'm not going to sweat it now, when I don't even know if I'm getting the visa!

I know, I'm in Toronto and didnt get asked anything last year either. Thing is, if you get asked and dont have them you can be deported so I need to find insurance that will cover two years, so I get the full time on my next visa, and which I can activate from outside Ireland, as most policies require you to have been resident in Ireland for a minimum of 6 months before activation. Same goes for everyone else currently on a IEC visa, seems mad that theres no insurance policy that covers this when its a requirement..

I find it very hard to believe that you'd be deported, that sounds extreme.
    I know people who have been illegally in America and caught and sent home with a warning, they weren't even deported.

I think the IEC made an assumption about the insurance industry that isn't realistic.
    No one buys insurance for two years, all policies are annual, that's industry standard.

Look, I'm in the same boat as you, I want the visa for the full two years too.
    Following successful visa clearance (God willing!), I will make contact with IEC and ask do they know of any supplier who gives this cover.
    I will then explain that insurance can only be bought on an annual basis, based on my research. I expect they will be reasonable and understand that this was an oversight.

All I'm saying is, they made this a requirement without thinking it through. It's kind of obvious, but they were so rushed to get this off the ground, it probably didn't get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bhob

What about multi trip? Annual insurance from them is only €54 per year for the premium cover. Anyone know anything about these? I'm not very good with this kind of insurance malarky so any help is appreciated

bhob wrote: »
    What about multi trip? Annual insurance from them is only €54 per year for the premium cover. Anyone know anything about these? I'm not very good with this kind of insurance malarky so any help is appreciated

Annual multrip is easy.
    I used Ace for my first year here and they're good to deal with.
    http://www.acetravellerinsurance.ie/default.asp
    You can go through a wizard on their site and get a quote very easily.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Yes it's extreme. It's not likely I don't think but it is possible. More likely they'd sting you at the border to buy insurance there& then, which I'm sure wouldn't be cheap! Hopefully some insurance company realises what's going on soon & can offer something!

Well the person a the border/airport just processes permits, they don't sell insurance so you won't be buying it there and then, that's for sure.
    This is just a money scam, because, no Irish insurer will cover you if you're already out of the country. I got a quote from a Canadian insurer and it was $2,600.

I'll be making contact with the Dept of Foreign Affairs on this, they are actually helpful enough.
    Eamon Gilmore's office did the work on getting us more visas and for a longer period, so I'll make it known to them that this is potentially putting huge costs on applicants and the permits may be in question with the clause.
    They may be able to help us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

this may help if ur with backpackers ins already and want to extend ur cover http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/faq9.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Black_shadow

so what do ye think would be the best thing to do, get insurance with backpackers.ie or go over with none??

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

so what do ye think would be the best thing to do, get insurance with backpackers.ie or go over with none??

get insurance with them, I won't be taking the risk if they ask for it.

gary27 wrote: »
    get insurance with them, I won't be taking the risk if they ask for it.

going to get sports package, that way go snow boarding etc :D!

going to get sports package, that way go snow boarding etc :D!

same here its more expensive but imagine snowboarding, you have to try it :D

You're better off going with go4less. Same price as backpackers for the 2 years including winter sports but with go4less you can come home twice a year for up to 2weeks per trip. Backpackers it's only once over the full 2 years

You're better off going with go4less. Same price as backpackers for the 2 years including winter sports but with go4less you can come home twice a year for up to 2weeks per trip. Backpackers it's only once over the full 2 years

I tried the go4less site for insurance it doesn't allow longer than 366days as you need 2 years for visa duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Backpackers.ie should be grand if you're going for the full two years. But you will only be allowed back in ireland for one two-week holiday. Anymore than that and your policy is invalid.

Personally, if you plan to to come home for more than two weeks (like me), I wouldn't risk it. I'm very cautious when it comes to insurance. Remember - these companies will try ANYTHING not to pay you. You could try coming home for longer and not telling them about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they found out somehow. Maybe someone reading this thread has experience of insurance companies finding out their travel details?

Simple choice. If you turn up in Canada without any insurance there is a good chance they won't give you the permit, and that's the Canada dream over. If you're willing to take that chance, go for it. I'm not that brave :)

• Advertisement

ripcord wrote: »
    Backpackers.ie should be grand if you're going for the full two years. But you will only be allowed back in ireland for one two-week holiday. Anymore than that and your policy is invalid.

Personally, if you plan to to come home for more than two weeks (like me), I wouldn't risk it. I'm very cautious when it comes to insurance. Remember - these companies will try ANYTHING not to pay you. You could try coming home for longer and not telling them about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they found out somehow. Maybe someone reading this thread has experience of insurance companies finding out their travel details?

Simple choice. If you turn up in Canada without any insurance there is a good chance they won't give you the permit, and that's the Canada dream over. If you're willing to take that chance, go for it. I'm not that brave :)

i think you can cancel it within a certain amount of days with backpackers and get a full refund, then just go with go4less if thats possible.

this thread also has some info in it;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83094661

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Do you have a link to this - that a, shows they do the full 2 years and b shows where it says you can come home like you specified? Cos I'd be interested in it. Thanks

hdowney wrote: »
    Do you have a link to this - that a, shows they do the full 2 years and b shows where it says you can come home like you specified? Cos I'd be interested in it. Thanks

http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp - thats the link to the insurance

http://www.blueinsurance.ie/common/Go4Less.ie-Policy-2013-V1.pdf - if you scroll down to the bottom of page 5 you'll read the returning to Ireland policy

You are a star :D thanks

Savage i am going to the one for go4less, cheers :D! Thats very good 2 weeks home once per year :D!

From reading the Backpackers insurance policy;
    http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/common/ACE-Backpackertravelinsurance.ie-2012-2013-V1.pdf
    Page 9: , the Policy will extend to allow the Insured to make one return visit to their home to Ireland before their original intended return date for up to a maximum duration of 14 days
    The go4less is 340 vs €324.99 Backpackers including winter sports but go4less allow 2 return visits for maximum 14 days in total, so that can be 2 one week visits home I'm guessing verus only one visit home with backpackers on a 1 year policy.

In the go4less policy document; http://www.blueinsurance.ie/common/Go4Less.ie-Policy-2013-V1.pdf
    it says on 2 year policies Page 6 that you get 4 return visits but still only maximum of 14 days?

So what one would you say is better :D??? and what one you going for :cool:???

It says in the go4less stuff that if you have a 2 year policy you can get up to FOUR visits home in the two years. I think I am going to contact them to get clarification if the 14 day maximum limit applies over ALL four visits (ie a couple days each time) or if it is a maximum of 14 days PER visit. It'd be handy information to know. If it is the case then I think, assuming you compare what you get for your money in different areas of the policy, and it suits your needs, then the go4less one certainly seems a good deal :)

I would say the go4less is the better of the two.

I will go for the go4less one.

What is the reason for insurance companies limiting the length of visits home?

• Advertisement

gary27 wrote: »
    I would say the go4less is the better of the two.

I will go for the go4less one.

Cheers :D

Ya once i read that booklet online blue insurance and it seems better :D, so i am going for go4less to

plus cant beat paying an extra 15 euro for 2 week visit if its twice in the 2 years or 4 2 weeks visits in the 2 years :D!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement