Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The Bagel factory reopening under new management tomorrow at 11am, according to Facebook.
    Not sure if it's in the same premises or not.

It is, passed Friday.

There is also a branch in City S as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It is, passed Friday.

There is also a branch in City S as well?

Yeah but only in O Briens Cafe in City Square, they have a little sign up for the bagel factory next to their ó briens sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mount Congreve set to receive €3.7 million from Rural Regeneration and Development Fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Mount Congreve set to receive €3.7 million from Rural Regeneration and Development Fund.

Mount Congreve is a real asset to Waterford and this money used properly will bring in a lot more tourism for the county,which is great to see.

This announcement is getting some reaction on facebook,according to people any money coming to Waterford should be given to the hospital!,we are not allowed to have nice things here until we get 24/7 cardiac care....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Mount Congreve is a real asset to Waterford and this money used properly will bring in a lot more tourism for the county,which is great to see.

This announcement is getting some reaction on facebook,according to people any money coming to Waterford should be given to the hospital!,we are not allowed to have nice things here until we get 24/7 cardiac care....
    Such an insular way of looking at things - who are these people??

Waterford is lucky to have an asset such as Mt Congreve and this money will ensure it's a continued success, attracting more tourists to the area and supporting even more businesses across the the City and County.

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    Such an insular way of looking at things - who are these people??

Waterford is lucky to have an asset such as Mt Congreve and this money will ensure it's a continued success, attracting more tourists to the area and supporting even more businesses across the the City and County.

No idea who they are but any page that put this announcement up there is hundreds of comments saying Mt Congreve should not get it and it should be given to the hospital instead..have a look at John Halligan/John Cummins/I am Waterford/Waterford in Your pocket pages and you'll see the outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

No idea who they are but any page that put this announcement up there is hundreds of comments saying Mt Congreve should not get it and it should be given to the hospital instead..have a look at John Halligan/John Cummins/I am Waterford/Waterford in Your pocket pages and you'll see the outrage!

I count 10 negative out of 80 posts on one of those pages, so the majority of people approve.

Its very welcome in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I count 10 negative out of 80 posts on one of those pages, so the majority of people approve.

Its very welcome in my opinion.

12.5% of people are complete morons.

Hope I got my maths right....

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Max Powers wrote: »
    12.5% of people are complete morons.

Hope I got my maths right....

I always thought it was higher then that!

It would be great if they opened up the big house in mount congreve.

It's empty isn't it?

• Advertisement

I always thought it was higher then that!

It would be great if they opened up the big house in mount congreve.

They are opening it up thats what this money is for,its a €5m project with €1.2m coming from the council.
    Renovation and up-grade of Mount Congreve House to provide for access by the public, host events, visitor accommodation and offices. Works will include installation of a lift, universal access, toilets, kitchen, fire safety improvements and installation of a bio-energy heating system.
    http://waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/expired/2019/mount-congreve-renovation.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Good to see the outer ring road allowing both lanes to go straight forward. It was restricted to using the left lane going forward, and the right lane to turn off at the 3rd exit.

Only noticed this the other day, so not sure how long ago it was changed.

Always a bugbear that people were ignoring the signs before and bombing forward on the right lane, but now with the roadmarks changed - that bugbear can relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

iseegirls wrote: »
    Good to see the outer ring road allowing both lanes to go straight forward. It was restricted to using the left lane going forward, and the right lane to turn off at the 3rd exit.

Always a bugbear that people were ignoring the signs before and bombing forward on the right lane, but now with the roadmarks changed - that bugbear can relax.

Only 14 years after it opened! :D

Better late than never I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,157 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Massive coup for the all together now organisers

Iggy pop headliner for next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

Ah, i used to love doing that, its just not the same now that you're allowed do it.
    It was especially good when i could hear someone in the suckers lane beeping at me .

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Just FYI, the right hand lane can be used to go straight on in many cases anyway, regardless of road markings, as long as there's two lanes at the exit of the roundabout and you use the right lane to exit onto. It makes sense to use both lanes in heavy traffic. If you're going clockwise around the ring road and there's a queue turning left at tramore road roundabout, why would you not use the available right lane to go straight ahead? You are causing tailbacks by not using both lanes.

From the RSA:
    "Going straight ahead (or any exit to the
    left of 12 o’clock)
     Approach in the left hand lane (unless road markings say otherwise) but do not indicate ‘left’
    until you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take.
    Where traffic conditions dictate otherwise for example a long line of traffic in left lane signalling left or road works in the left lane, you may follow the course shown by the broken red line."
    (enter in the right lane, exit onto the right lane)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gobo99 wrote: »
    Just FYI, the right hand lane can be used to go straight on in many cases anyway, regardless of road markings, as long as there's two lanes at the exit of the roundabout and you use the right lane to exit onto. It makes sense to use both lanes in heavy traffic. If you're going clockwise around the ring road and there's a queue turning left at tramore road roundabout, why would you not use the available right lane to go straight ahead? You are causing tailbacks by not using both lanes.

From the RSA:
    (enter in the right lane, exit onto the right lane)

If only they would stay in their own lane, the amount of people that drift onto the left lane when exiting on the right when exiting is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Massive coup for the all together now organisers

Iggy pop headliner for next summer
    Must have run out of drug money

• Is there any 'Waterford Job Advertisements' thread on Boards?

Going off topic a bit but the Cork road roundabout is just as bad,when traffic is backed up down to Mcdonalds ive seen people drive up the right lane and exit into the left lane only to be stuck in the traffic outside the rsc..its going to cause an accident someday..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Congratulations to Eamonn McEneaney on his honour from the Norweigan government. The museums in Waterford City are absolutely fantastic and something to be very proud of.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/waterford-viking-expert-honoured-by-the-norwegian-government-1.4084520

Re Woodbrook

The fella behind the company says it is still on, he was on WLR responding to Michael Walsh who dismissed the original announcement.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/11/19/105444/

He is on WLR now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Re Woodbrook

The fella behind the company says it is still on, he was on WLR responding to Michael Walsh who dismissed the original announcement.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/11/19/105444/

He is on WLR now

Personally, I'd believe Michael Walsh before this Woodbrook fella.

Interesting discussion, I think Michael Doherty is used to getting on with things rather than going round the houses liaising with local bureaucrats who are not relevant until they are needed. Michael Walsh is probably feeling slighted at this point. If he doesn't need to go through the local authorities to get land bought (two sites) then well and good. He'll be in the city on December 12/13th so he can be questioned in person then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Interesting discussion, I think Michael Doherty is used to getting on with things rather than going round the houses liaising with local bureaucrats who are not relevant until they are needed. Michael Walsh is probably feeling slighted at this point. If he doesn't need to go through the local authorities to get land bought (two sites) then well and good. He'll be in the city on December 12/13th so he can be questioned in person then.

Hope everybody who doubts it is wrong, myself included. Just from experience I know that companies starting of say these things to get publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BBM77 wrote: »
    Hope everybody who doubts it is wrong, myself included. Just from experience I know that companies starting of say these things to get publicity.

Did a bit of googling about Woodbrook, according to their web site they currently employ circa 150 in about 7/8 different counties......their plan is to bring 1500 jobs to waterford which would seem very ambitious but good luck to them in any case, it would be great for the city and could be a catalyst for similar high spec jobs to be created in the region. If Woodbrook can deliver this amount of jobs I doubt if council would be an obstacle.....don’t they have some local enterprise ‘arm’ whose sole objective is to assist such ventures.....I probably should listen to the interview.

Glanbia have announced a major investment at Belview for cheese production. 80 jobs and 100 for the construction phase (more cranes! ;))

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0122/1024728-glanbia-ireland-jobs/

PP granted and opening due in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dexpat

I don't get home to Waterford as much as I used to or would like but, I was back for a few days last week. The city centre looked really well and was busier than I'd expected despite it being just after the New Year.

The urban fabric has improved hugely in the last decade or so. The quality of the finish on the footpaths/roads using high quality materials was very noticable all around the Viking triange, Michael St, Arundel Sq etc. The impression that it leaves is of a relatively prosperous place and I think that what we now have in terms of presentation, is at least on a par with any other city in the country.

I appreciate that behind the facade there are still problems with hospital and educational deficits, businesses struggling and a lack of suitable retail offering form somewhere of Waterford's size. These are decades old and need to be continually fought for and highlighted but Waterford centainly seems to tapping into its potential. I'm sure some of you locals living there full time will disagree but that's my 'outsiders' perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Dexpat wrote: »
    I don't get home to Waterford as much as I used to or would like but, I was back for a few days last week. The city centre looked really well and was busier than I'd expected despite it being just after the New Year.

The urban fabric has improved hugely in the last decade or so. The quality of the finish on the footpaths/roads using high quality materials was very noticable all around the Viking triange, Michael St, Arundel Sq etc. The impression that it leaves is of a relatively prosperous place and I think that what we now have in terms of presentation, is at least on a par with any other city in the country.

I appreciate that behind the facade there are still problems with hospital and educational deficits, businesses struggling and a lack of suitable retail offering form somewhere of Waterford's size. These are decades old and need to be continually fought for and highlighted but Waterford centainly seems to tapping into its potential. I'm sure some of you locals living there full time will disagree but that's my 'outsiders' perspective.

I'm similar to yourself, and would echo a lot of this message.

In the last 12-18 months in particular you can see a lot of improvement in the public realm, and when you're only going down occasionally you notice it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Speaking of the new paths and roads in those city centre areas, anyone heard anything about more being done? I saw someone from Murphy, who did all that work, doing survey work out the back of City Square, at the High Street/Kaiser Street junction today.

Advertisement