Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

invara wrote: »
    Interesting report on the regional economy just published today.
    http://irelandsoutheast.com/South-East-Ireland-At-A-Glance.pdf

Leo and his spin machine must be spending big money on this latest propaganda.30k jobs!!jobspath and CE schemes must be at full capacity filling a lot of these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

only fellas who this disagree with any that are the fellas on the dole drinking up in ballybricken everyday saying " the town is dead"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

invara wrote: »
    Interesting report on the regional economy just published today.
    http://irelandsoutheast.com/South-East-Ireland-At-A-Glance.pdf

Interesting coloured in portion of the map .... apparently the South-East region might extend as far west as the Shannon!

That surely is new to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Interesting coloured in portion of the map .... apparently the South-East region might extend as far west as the Shannon!

That surely is new to me!

Yes, North & South Tipp merging seems to have been allocated to the Southeast for (some) of this report but included in the Midwest for other metrics; isn't the Limerick HQ'd hospitals group trying to appropriate South Tipp to the detriment of UHW catchment numbers?
    Overall, this report paints a sunnier picture than Ray Griffin's WIT Economic Monitor report (which I'm more inclined to believe) on how the S.E. is doing.
    Lie's, damn lie's and statistics, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, North & South Tipp merging seems to have been allocated to the Southeast for (some) of this report but included in the Midwest for other metrics; isn't the Limerick HQ'd hospitals group trying to appropriate South Tipp to the detriment of UHW catchment numbers?
    Overall, this report paints a sunnier picture than Ray Griffin's WIT Economic Monitor report (which I'm more inclined to believe) on how the S.E. is doing.
    Lie's, damn lie's and statistics, huh?

It read to me as a promotional blurb for the agencies concerned so they would continue to get their funding ...... and nothing much else TBH.

The whole thing came across as 'look at what we have done, are we not great?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford Today mentions a financial services development (along with news regarding NQ money) I'll guess it's this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Where the Cork road and Tramore road split, opposite Pierce Hire. Heard Nandos going in there or could be Burgerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a sign of how bad things have been that a site which should be a goldmine has been vacant for so long (unless there is an angle regarding ownership or land value greed ie sitting on an asset).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im going to guess Burger King seen as you have Mcdonalds and Supermacs on the same road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It's a sign of how bad things have been that a site which should be a goldmine has been vacant for so long (unless there is an angle regarding ownership or land value greed ie sitting on an asset).

A couple of points, if you bought a site 10 years ago you'd probably be waiting until now to get back what you paid for it. That's not greed, that's just common sense.

An owner might have been waiting for someone to be interested in doing anything on the site for years. Plenty of empty commercial units around the town for many a year - still is loads actually.

A site could have been refused planning on projects which took years to resolve. A project could have received planning and the owner not been able to secure finance.

Due to the prior use of the site, doing anything different with it might have been expensive.

Not a criticism of you, but it's also a sign of how bad things have been when people are getting excited about a fast food chain coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Has construction started on the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Has construction started on the site?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Would parking be an issue there? Wouldn't say it would hold that many spots. Also would there be only one entrance/exit into this, compared to when it was 2 before with the petrol station.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Not a criticism of you, but it's also a sign of how bad things have been when people are getting excited about a fast food chain coming in.

That article just says major restaurant it doesn't say anything about it been fast food,maybe people are excited about the jobs this new place is going to bring regardless if it is fast food or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

That article just says major restaurant it doesn't say anything about it been fast food,maybe people are excited about the jobs this new place is going to bring regardless if it is fast food or not.

In responding to me you're responding to those who were speculating this was the franchise.

While I take your point, there aren't many chain restaurants in Ireland apart from fast food, and I include Nandos in that bracket.

Thank God because the UK is riddled with chains - they go mad for them.

Great to see a site cleaned up regardless.

Edit, my guess is that'll be UK chain Leon. A Waterford chap is heavily involved with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The rain might stop, the blues could win tonight, the hurlers might beat Galway. This is our year.

hardybuck wrote: »
    In responding to me you're responding to those who were speculating this was the franchise.

While I take your point, there aren't many chain restaurants in Ireland apart from fast food, and I include Nandos in that bracket.

Thank God because the UK is riddled with chains - they go mad for them.

Great to see a site cleaned up regardless.

Edit, my guess is that'll be UK chain Leon. A Waterford chap is heavily involved with them.

Never heard of Leon but likewise its great to see that site cleaned up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

There's a few units going on Leo Harte's site. There's 3 on the side by btw tiles side and 2 on the dunphys shop side with parking for about 13 Cars in the middle and a rat run style drive through like before

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Great to see something going in there finally...also,I'm hoping it is BK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭IanVW

From todays news and star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

the local provo brigade will probably object to this also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

IanVW wrote: »
    From todays news and star

Great news!

Does kind of beg the question though, what the hell is Frisby doing with the old Waterford crystal site???

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

BBM77 wrote: »
    Great news!

Does kind of beg the question though, what the hell is Frisby doing with the old Waterford crystal site???

Still subject to an EPA licence, hoping to finally have it lifted this year afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Ramen named as one of the restaurants going into the plot across from Manor Village at the old Esso spot:

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/03/13/former-esso-site-rejuvenated/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

niallo76 wrote: »
    Great to see something going in there finally...also,I'm hoping it is BK

Burger King! Is that the level of your expectations for the City of Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Would have hoped for something a bit nicer than Ramen, its ok but Kyoto is streets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Burger King! Is that the level of your expectations for the City of Waterford!

Sorry yes we should all be eating the gold plated diamond encrusted burgers that they serve up in Dublin (only the 20 Burger King’s up there by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Sorry yes we should all be eating the gold plated diamond encrusted burgers that they serve up in Dublin (only the 20 Burger King’s up there by the way)

What has this got to do with Waterford what they serve up here?

A sorry reflection on the city if this comes to fruition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

What has this got to do with Waterford what they serve up here?

A sorry reflection on the city if this comes to fruition!

Fast food exists in literally every urban area the world over.

Why do you expect Waterford to be some kind of foodie utopia where only organic, hand fed, free range, restaurants open up?

I’ll answer that, you don’t, you just love complaining!

Advertisement