Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Being a Clare man, I love Waterford.
    Something of the wittiest people I know are from Waterford.

Best fishing tackle shop, great for getting peeler crab baits.

Best bass fishing in Ireland..

Don't mention the time's I was off my Chuck in the Metroland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Fast food exists in literally every urban area the world over.

Why do you expect Waterford to be some kind of foodie utopia where only organic, hand fed, free range, restaurants open up?

I’ll answer that, you don’t, you just love complaining!

I think that we have a fair share of outlets in Waterford without adding too many more to the mix!
    I would prefer to see residential/student accommodation built rather than fast food outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Never heard of Leon but likewise its great to see that site cleaned up

Leon is a healthy fast food restaurant.looks daysunt

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

I think that we have a fair share of outlets in Waterford without adding too many more to the mix!
    I would prefer to see residential/student accommodation built rather than fast food outlets.

Surely It is good sign that something is going in the vacant area there,creating jobs.What difference does it make what chain it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Was reading about Leon today. Its a Mediterranean style of healthy fast food.

Waterford man Stuart Fitzgerald and two partners are bringing it to Ireland. With a planned 23 outlets in Ireland approx. First one is opening shortly in Temple Bar Dublin and another will be in Dundrum. They are in the UK, Netherlands, Norway and the US already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ramen Asian street food is opening up on the Cork Rd not Leon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Ramen Asian street food is opening up on the Cork Rd not Leon

Could it not be both?

Deiseen wrote: »
    Could it not be both?

Large pharmacy chain according to the n&s

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/03/13/former-esso-site-rejuvenated/

south wrote: »
    Clothes mostly. Another retailer wanted to put in a coffee shop but was refused so put a coffee dock instead.

The new coffee shop should it go ahead with be in the far side of the car park and will be a newly build building.

Over a year later but i see David Flynn has a section of the car park fenced off,is this Costa building a place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hmm this adds fuel to the fire surrounding the closure of McCauleys on Broad Street. One of the biggest pharmacists in the city closes in the bang on centre as a national chain plans to enter the market on the outer edge of the centre (so to speak) McCauley cited rents makes one wonder why they didn't just move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Over a year later but i see David Flynn has a section of the car park fenced off,is this Costa building a place?

It is, probably about 2/3 months before it opens its doors

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The old Mc Cauley premises is being advertised for a mere €135000.00 per annum!!!

Christ no wonder they closed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The old Mc Cauley premises is being advertised for a mere €135000.00 per annum!!!

You would really need to be selling drugs to pay for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Just shows you the amount of money being made in Waterford, or was being made in Waterford up to the crash, that they paid this rent for years? Comment on Facebook suggested the main reason they closed was the loss of prescription business to the pharmacist guy who left and opened his own shop in Michael Street. That huge rent says something about the need for an expanded retail product to recapture our local market.

Phelans is the only Pharmacy in Michael Street. Brian Tynan is the owner since 2017 (?) so was he with McCauleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Sorry HP I don't know the man from Adam but I think its him. there was a long discussion on FB about it and many people said that the "lovely man at the pharmacy" in SmcCauley's had left them and set up on his own and they had all followed him. So i presume its Phelans and that this had hurt McCauleys big time. Maybe other posters will know? I seem to recall that the News and Star had something from McCauley's about the loss of prescription business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Phelans is the only Pharmacy in Michael Street. Brian Tynan is the owner since 2017 (?) so was he with McCauleys?

And here's a bit from Waterford News & Star article:
    The loss of a key part of dispensing business to a former employee lead to the dispensary element becoming uneconomic for us
    https://waterford-news.ie/2019/04/04/sam-mccauley-ceo-points-out-city-achilles-heel/

Though it doesn't say who the former employee is...

Not wrong to mention the need for an integrated economic plan and the WIT becoming a university (just a pity it'll be a half arsed one whenever it finally happens)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Whats going in where the old take away next to Masons. I am going to assume a new fast food chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭914

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Whats going in where the old take away next to Masons. I am going to assume a new fast food chain?

I was wondering the same thing. It had been closed for a long time. Would like a see a traditional Irish bar there

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

914 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. It had been closed for a long time. Would like a see a traditional Irish bar there

Hillbillies are moving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

how exciting huh..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Robert Plant playing with his new band Saving Grace here on the 19th July in the Theatre Royal

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterfords most decorated footballer John O Shea announced he will retire at the end of the season

Amazing career best of luck too him in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterfords most decorated footballer John O Shea announced he will retire at the end of the season

Amazing career best of luck too him in the future

+1

..... and the blues could do with him if he comes home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

+1

..... and the blues could do with him if he comes home :)

John is one of the most decorated players in Irish football, up there with Roy Keane and Denis Irwin in terms of titles won, international caps etc.

He is on a completely different to the likes of Daryl Murphy, Damian Delaney, Wes Hoolihan etc. who've played LOI before, and might finish there.

John is taking the right decision to retire at a reasonably high level, and hopefully while his body and finances are healthy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

hardybuck wrote: »
    John is one of the most decorated players in Irish football, up there with Roy Keane and Denis Irwin in terms of titles won, international caps etc.

He is on a completely different to the likes of Daryl Murphy, Damian Delaney, Wes Hoolihan etc. who've played LOI before, and might finish there.

John is taking the right decision to retire at a reasonably high level, and hopefully while his body and finances are healthy too.

Damien Duff retired at Shamrock Rovers so your point is moot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Damien Duff retired at Shamrock Rovers so your point is moot

I don't really want to spark a debate about this on a positive thread, but Duff played 9 games for Rovers over 4-5 months and retired, after a stint in Australia. In my opinion that's a poor way to finish with his best far behind him - but it's probably what he wanted to do as he stayed involved with Rovers as a coach afterwards.

Lets just say I'm pleased for John that he's finishing up at the level he's at.

Advertisement