Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

hardybuck wrote: »
    I don't really want to spark a debate about this on a positive thread, but Duff played 9 games for Rovers over 4-5 months and retired, after a stint in Australia. In my opinion that's a poor way to finish with his best far behind him - but it's probably what he wanted to do as he stayed involved with Rovers as a coach afterwards.

Lets just say I'm pleased for John that he's finishing up at the level he's at.

Retiring at your hometown club and donating your wages to charity is a poor way to finish :confused:

Sounds like a fantastic way to bow out to me. I'm sure Duffer is devastated you don't approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Retiring at your hometown club and donating your wages to charity is a poor way to finish :confused:

Sounds like a fantastic way to bow out to me. I'm sure Duffer is devastated you don't approve.

I do yeah, while your body is in bits after 20+ years of professional football and you're playing in the LOI where some players earn €50 per week, and you once earned €4.6m a year before endorsements.

Maybe John could go back to his boyhood clubs of Bohs or Ferrybank, which are probably registered as charities, rather than another professional club that you have no links to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I do yeah, while your body is in bits after 20+ years of professional football and you're playing in the LOI where some players earn €50 per week, and you once earned €4.6m a year before endorsements.

Maybe John could go back to his boyhood clubs of Bohs or Ferrybank, which are probably registered as charities, rather than another professional club that you have no links to.

Why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about where a player chooses to retire? Soccer is all about money now apparently.

He’s retired for good now anyway so you can rest easy knowing he won’t be darkening the tunnel at the RSC, because that seems very important to you for some reason :confused:

Why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about where a player chooses to retire? Soccer is all about money now apparently.

He’s retired for good now anyway so you can rest easy knowing he won’t be darkening the tunnel at the RSC, because that seems very important to you for some reason :confused:

Yeah as I said I didn't want to derail a positive thread.

Well done to John on an excellent career.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

JOS had a mixed international career in which he played in a sort of transition period for a lot of it sadly never getting too a world cup finals. 2 Euro finals appearances though.

• Advertisement

JOS had a mixed international career in which he played in a sort of transition period for a lot of it sadly never getting too a world cup finals. 2 Euro finals appearances though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

iseegirls wrote: »
    Ramen named as one of the restaurants going into the plot across from Manor Village at the old Esso spot:

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/03/13/former-esso-site-rejuvenated/

Opening on Tuesday,i passed it earlier and it looks great on the inside,i can see this place doing really well its in a great location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Opening on Tuesday,i passed it earlier and it looks great on the inside,i can see this place doing really well its in a great location

I think it’s in a very poor location. No bars anywhere near it and it’s a bit of a walk to town especially on a wet or cold (or wet and cold) evening.

Motivator wrote: »
    I think it’s in a very poor location. No bars anywhere near it and it’s a bit of a walk to town especially on a wet or cold (or wet and cold) evening.

A lot of businesses and housing nearby,students and passing traffic,why would it need bars near it?

It looks like just a casual place to get a quick bit of grub,its Asian street food not a big restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

A lot of businesses and housing nearby,students and passing traffic,why would it need bars near it?

It looks like just a casual place to get a quick bit of grub,its Asian street food not a big restaurant.

Couple of big workplaces nearby too - the Land Registry and HSE. Perfectly located within walking distance - you could grab a bite there after work and not even have to move the car, unless you’re lazy or it’s raining. I think they’ve chosen a great location!

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Couple of big workplaces nearby too - the Land Registry and HSE. Perfectly located within walking distance - you could grab a bite there after work and not even have to move the car, unless you’re lazy or it’s raining. I think they’ve chosen a great location!

Yeah i was thinking the same myself its a great location and im sure the owners done their homework,im still unsure why the other person said it needs bars near it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Food is lovely in Ramen. I really wish they’d put a bar in the manor across the road though! It’s licensed and everything.

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Food is lovely in Ramen. I really wish they’d put a bar in the manor across the road though! It’s licensed and everything.

Open one up yourself then lol. Would be a good place for a bar esp with the students there

Walsh park looking great. Great crowd and atmosphere up here

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Open one up yourself then lol. Would be a good place for a bar esp with the students there

Walsh park looking great. Great crowd and atmosphere up here

Minor cash flow issue at the moment. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

N&s saying access road up by kilbarry and six cross roads to start in couple weeks.local contractor too. This will free up a load of land for construction of houses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Max Powers wrote: »
    N&s saying access road up by kilbarry and six cross roads to start in couple weeks.local contractor too. This will free up a load of land for construction of houses etc

Sorry can you expand on this?? who is N+S Where exactly is this access road?? There's a load of construction going on there already Foxwood and behind Musgraves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭914

Sorry can you expand on this?? who is N+S Where exactly is this access road?? There's a load of construction going on there already Foxwood and behind Musgraves

I would say N&S is the news and star

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

914 wrote: »
    I would say N&S is the news and star

Yep, its in the munster express too. LIHAF funding is what is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Where exactly is this access road??

I guess we might be talking about the new road joining Tesco Kilbarry Roundabout with Musgraves Roundabout in an U-shaped fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dunno, I did google that name myself about a month ago probably because of this thread but couldn't see anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

According to the article:
    Woodbrook aims to file an application for authorisation with the Central Bank of Ireland by the end of March

According to the Central Bank register:
    Sorry, there are no matches for this search.
    http://registers.centralbank.ie/FirmSearchResultsPage.aspx?searchEntity=Institution&searchType=Name&searchText=Woodbrook&registers=All&firmType=All

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

New at gallery in Waterford in de cultural quarter. free entry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

RTE's Liveline in Faithleg Hotel this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was down in Waterford on Friday night for a concert in St. Patricks Gateway . Its a fabulous venue and there was a great vibe at the gig.
    Afterwards went to the Vinyl night in Downes and again a brilliant session with DJs playing old northern soul/Ska/Punk/New Wave 45's and even a bunch of skinheads skanking :)

We started the night with a few pints in Geoffs which again was really good.

Top class entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

bullpost wrote: »
    I was down in Waterford on Friday night for a concert in St. Patricks Gateway . Its a fabulous venue and there was a great vibe at the gig.
    Afterwards went to the Vinyl night in Downes and again a brilliant session with DJs playing old northern soul/Ska/Punk/New Wave 45's and even a bunch of skinheads skanking :)

We started the night with a few pints in Geoffs which again was really good.

Top class entertainment.

Is there a bar in there? Or is it like Central Arts and bring your own?

I was down at home over the bank holiday weekend. I don't normally venture into the city center these days as I've found that I've increasingly less reasons to go in there, but I decided to go around for a stroll and was quite positive about how things appear to be improving.

O'Connell St continues to improve. I'd love to see a lot of that part of town handed over to artists to help fill out this 'cultural quarter' - if they did it could be a big shot in the arm for the city.

The junction at John's Street and the general looked like an absolute hellhole last time I was down, but Michael St and the Apple Market had a bit more life to it this time, and it was good to see some construction hoarding up on K Recipe Chicken.

The Tower Hotel's upgrades have made a big improvement. Hopefully they get planning for the extension as Waterford badly needs conference space.

Had the chance to sample Everett's for the first time. Surprised it wasn't busier - but probably the joint best lamb dish I've ever had, the other being Adare Manor.

The Fat Angel was a nice little find. I was totally bemused when I went into the Munster for a pint after my meal at 10 or 10.30 and the place was closing. However when I was about to go home we tried this wine bar, and I was really impressed. Comfortable to sit and have a chat, music not blasting into your face, great selection of drinks - the city needs more places like this.

Overall you can see the signs of money trickling back into Waterford. A lot of work to do but definitely improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Is there a bar in there? Or is it like Central Arts and bring your own?
    There was a small bar in there last time I was there for a gig.
    Gorgeous venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I was down at home over the bank holiday weekend. I don't normally venture into the city center these days as I've found that I've increasingly less reasons to go in there, but I decided to go around for a stroll and was quite positive about how things appear to be improving.

O'Connell St continues to improve. I'd love to see a lot of that part of town handed over to artists to help fill out this 'cultural quarter' - if they did it could be a big shot in the arm for the city.

The junction at John's Street and the general looked like an absolute hellhole last time I was down, but Michael St and the Apple Market had a bit more life to it this time, and it was good to see some construction hoarding up on K Recipe Chicken.

The Tower Hotel's upgrades have made a big improvement. Hopefully they get planning for the extension as Waterford badly needs conference space.

Had the chance to sample Everett's for the first time. Surprised it wasn't busier - but probably the joint best lamb dish I've ever had, the other being Adare Manor.

The Fat Angel was a nice little find. I was totally bemused when I went into the Munster for a pint after my meal at 10 or 10.30 and the place was closing. However when I was about to go home we tried this wine bar, and I was really impressed. Comfortable to sit and have a chat, music not blasting into your face, great selection of drinks - the city needs more places like this.

Overall you can see the signs of money trickling back into Waterford. A lot of work to do but definitely improving.

Any idea where that last wine bar was? It sounds like my kind of place . . Actually forget it, you meant the Fat Angel of course. Daft old me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

The Bagel factory reopening under new management tomorrow at 11am, according to Facebook.
    Not sure if it's in the same premises or not.

Advertisement