Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Some really positive talk about Waterford city on Ivan Yates last night about affordability, quality of life etc from Waterford people and people moved here from Dublin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Max Powers wrote: »
    Some really positive talk about Waterford city on Ivan Yates last night about affordability, quality of life etc from Waterford people and people moved here from Dublin etc.

Just listened to it now, nice bit of PR for the city & region;

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/can-buy-ten-houses-waterford-price-one-house-monkstown

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for the link.

Although positive I somehow found it a bit 'lacking in substance'. Dunno why :(

Pity North Quay and Michael Street developments were not mentioned when speaking of retail outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »

It’s was mostly positive. However, did find it strange that they said there was no shopping centre in Waterford. Yes, retail is not developed as much as it should be considering the population of Waterford but saying there is no shopping centre is over the top. Things are not that bad. Not mentioning the plans to address this short coming made the piece seem poorly researched.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fenfoz

I think they purposely omitted the north quays as the plan to do a piece either this week or next week on the north quay development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone :)

Its a little bit sombre but i think all of us in Waterford need something positive right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A bit off topic but all the same.....Some schools in the west of china are open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,157 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

danjo-xx wrote: »
    A bit off topic but all the same.....Some schools in the west of china are open again.

great hurling schools they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

There's a strong community spirit in the city I think. The action group on Facebook has thousands of members and people willing help.

The restaurants that are open for deliveries during this hard time

Community spirit is good here too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

There's a strong community spirit in the city I think. The action group on Facebook has thousands of members and people willing help.

few heads on that group who need permanent help. some basket cases altogether

Gardner wrote: »
    few heads on that group who need permanent help. some basket cases altogether

A good % of Facebook and all those type of pages are full of attention seekers who in truth do **** all they say they will do and some are just opportunists trying to make a quick buck

Some people are genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Passed by Ramen on Cork rd last night and taught I noticed a sign on unit next to it. Was dark anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Passed by Ramen on Cork rd last night and taught I noticed a sign on unit next to it. Was dark anyone confirm?

Think it's a beauty salon

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

It's a hairdressers been open since start of the year i think

Noticed today, while going shopping no breaking of COVID-19 restrictions. That work has started on the old glass factory site. The offices have been completely stripped to the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote:
    Noticed today, while going shopping no breaking of COVID-19 restrictions. That work has started on the old glass factory site. The offices have been completely stripped to the frame.

Yea they stripped that building quickly, think work has stopped though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yea they stripped that building quickly, think work has stopped though

What is going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

alta stare wrote: »
    What is going in there?

havent a clue, but they made short work of it, well impressed how quickly they stripped it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Very good. It is some piece of land there. Hopefully whatever happens there is successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Excellent development

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/05/05/communal-gardens-project-for-the-top-of-the-town/
    TOP OF THE TOWN
    TUESDAY, MAY 05, 2020
    A brand new community allotment project using a section of public grassland to provide a multitude of mini gardens been announced for St Carthage’s Avenue.

The project is an initiative by locals in conjunction with Waterford City and County Council, with each mini garden to be cultivated by a member of the public.

Fianna Fáil Councillor Eamon Quinlan said it was an “absolute pleasure” to be involved in this project. “It’s so heartening to see locals step up and want to take ownership of an area that has been subjected to neglect and illegal dumping,” he said. Adding it has been given to the community to provide a series of beautiful gardens that people can grow fruit, vegetables, flowers etc. “Similar projects in Ferrybank are so popular there is a waiting list in place to get a spot. It’s early days yet for this project, but I expect that there will be a huge uptake of people who would like a little patch to cultivate and care for. It has proven very relaxing for all types of people, those retired, working all week and looking for a calming hobby or for children to teach them about horticulture.

St Carthage’s Avenue is that little cul-de-sac which overlooks Hennessys Road from Barrack Street

Lovely view https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2549408,-7.1196948,3a,75y,138.61h,85.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8hsnU8IooGUNLEeaU5bOFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ah gone are the days when a large percentage of people had 'plots'.
    All built over now and very little space for such useful pursuits.

I hope it goes well for them.

See to that there are plans to convert the old John Hearne’s shop on the Quay into offices for an insurance company. Good to see these nice old buildings being brought back into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Muttley79

JohnC. wrote: »
    What insurance company?

Kiely gaule financial services have planning permission gone in for works at 87/88 coal quay waterford.i take it that's the old John hearnes hardware shop.

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Kiely gaule financial services have planning permission gone in for works at 87/88 coal quay waterford.i take it that's the old John hearnes hardware shop.

It is indeed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Waterford, some of the best Bass fishing in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

nthclare wrote: »
    Waterford, some of the best Bass fishing in Ireland

• Advertisement

Great to see Blaas being sold across Aldi from tomorrow

https://twitter.com/walshsbakehouse/status/1257957040577748997

Advertisement